The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

11 Saku Koivu 06-07

jl-1

Guest d80jcrant
ya but still at lest he defended us by saying wed make the playoffs...i gueess

Yeah I just can't wait for the season to start. maybe he is just taking the pressure off the rest of the Habs or trying to lite a fire under them before season even starts

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest HabsMan11
Yeah I just can't wait for the season to start. maybe he is just taking the pressure off the rest of the Habs or trying to lite a fire under them before season even starts

exactly

always look at the bright side of things :D

excellent point

Guest habs_fan1160
Like Bob said, he should have gave the 20 sec. clip !!!!

Although the truth, sometimes it's best to keep some things in your head.

I don't think any less of him though.

Eventually the truth always comes out though. The media will play this up and run it until it's dry. It's not a big deal and really, everyone is thinking it anyway.

I don't know, I just think some people look for anything to get a rise and some people have nothing better to do than get in a frenzy about it.

Eventually the truth always comes out though. The media will play this up and run it until it's dry. It's not a big deal and really, everyone is thinking it anyway.

I don't know, I just think some people look for anything to get a rise and some people have nothing better to do than get in a frenzy about it.

The French media just loves to put down Koivu, it's nothing new. If a French Canadian player on the team would have said that, they wouldn't have made such a big deal out of it, you can rest assured!

Koivu is calling it like it is. When you're a leader, you may be an optimist, but you don't outright lie. And if he'd said he expected us to win a Cup this year, he would have been lying. Good on him for not mincing his words.

"were not favorites to win the cup" thats no worse then what some of the "fans" have been saying all summer. I agree he did the right thing by telling it like it is. No were not going to steam roll the opposition like the habs teams did in the 70's which the media can't seem to get past. But no doubt we will make the playoffs and Koivu can see that.

Guest stevesaku

oh boy did saku seem nervous while getting interviewed...well to tell the truth i think i would of been too, i never saw so many journalists surround 1 player.

Guest Miltie01

Where there is no hope the people parish.

We are arguing over semantics here as we don't know exactly what Saku said and in what context. The original interviewer has not given this, and we all know how the local media loves to run with things. That being said, Saku has to be careful about what he says as a leader, especially in Montreal, and he is all too aware of this. Saku does not look down upon this team and we all know he will do whatever is humanly possable to drive this team as far as it can go. I just wish, as a fan, that he chose better words.

Thinking positively is just as important as anything physical in this game. For the best example I can think of I will refer to the 93 team. A team that had no business, on paper, discussing the cup. On the very first day of training camp Demers told the boys they were going to win the cup !!!

Most would have laughed at him. But everyone on that team will tell you that is where it all started. A few believed him, and it snowballed from there.

Again, a big deal should not be made of this, although you know as well as I a big deal will be made of it. I am quite sure Saku will do everything possable to win regardless of any quote in an interview.

Guest CanadianMike

I liked when Gainey said he should have used the 20 second clip instead of the longer clip (44 seconds or whatever he used). In other words SAKU you talk too much! LOL

Guest habfan in leafland

There was nothing wrong with Saku's reply. He spoke the truth.

If you're worrying about effect of his comments on the team, you have to consider that not everyone is motivated by a pep-rally speech. Sometimes when you say something like Saku did that's all the motivation some players need. Some need positive motivation, some need (borderline) negative motivation.

One thing's for sure... Koivu's comments were sugar-coated compared to the media and fans projection of how the team will finish.

"I think I'll be better this year "- Bob Gainey

When you have leadership at the top who has expectations of himself, as well as others, it only means good things are coming our way.

Thanks for pointing that out Miltie. There are those who question Gainey's leadership because he doesn't make the blockbuster, knee-jerk move...however I'm glad that we have a leader who under a great deal of personal duress, whethered the storm of critism and took responsibility for the step backwards.

As far as Koivu is concerned, I'll say this: As a member of advertising media I can honestly say I don't put much stock in what the media has to say. The thing you have to keep in mind whenever you read any form of media on any player is: what is going to keep people coming back to their product or service?

In other words, which is going to sell more papers for La Presse; Koivu saying they're going to win the cup, or Koivu saying they're no where close? 9 times out of 10 La Presse will go with the most contraversial remark and contort the truth to fit within that statement. If you look at the article carefully; Koivu says (I'm paraphrasing): "On paper, we don't look like a cup contender, however once you're in the play-offs it's all fair game. In '93 no one picked the habs to win the cup and they did."

No where in the article I read did I see Koivu come out and say: "We're not going to win the Cup"...But when you're trying to sell papers in an internet age, Koivu saying:"we're not going to win the cup" becomes a reality.

And people wonder why pro athletes have become boring cliche machines. God forbid someone should speak his mind in the press.

I am not even going to discuss this 'issue' further as doing so will only add to the utterly ridiculous circus that is the Montreal hockey media.

Yeah really,

We must be really desperate for the season to start if we're discussing an article written in La Presse :lol:

Guest habinto

Bang on! I second that!!!

Guest syfdawg
They don't count the rookies' emergence, second effort of the players and 4 goaltenders who can make it to the NHL.

They're always like that. It's just speculation ;)

Your right even we the great fans with a crystal ball cannot even tell who will crack the line-up let alone what will happen at the end of the season. Sure we lost some players and we also gained some you cannot judge chemistry on paper and stats and this is what makes a winning team.

:unsure: UHH for those of you that watch 110% topic tonight..Saku (he asked to be traded??) wow the media didn't take their time did they?

http://www.tqs.ca/emissions/110/

Absolute garbage. :angry:

They've had it in for Koivu for a long time now. Sure, let's drive another great captain out of town so he can win a Cup somewhere else. :rolleyes:

Where are these credible sources that claim Koivu asked to be traded? This is the kind of nonsense that even Eklund might think twice about publishing. What a joke, and an insult to Koivu.

Absolute garbage. :angry:

They've had it in for Koivu for a long time now. Sure, let's drive another great captain out of town so he can win a Cup somewhere else. :rolleyes:

Where are these credible sources that claim Koivu asked to be traded? This is the kind of nonsense that even Eklund might think twice about publishing. What a joke, and an insult to Koivu.

I guess we'll just have to watch 110% and see if they reveal their sources... eh :lol:

Guest Miltie01

If Saku asked to be traded you shake his hand and wish him good luck, he has earned that much.

It would hurt, but you do that for a guy like him.

I too call ***** though.

Guest d80jcrant
:unsure: UHH for those of you that watch 110% topic tonight..Saku (he asked to be traded??) wow the media didn't take their time did they?

http://www.tqs.ca/emissions/110/

I think it is time for the Habs to do eithe rone of two things

1. The whole team and organization boycott all media and never talk to them again.

2. Pick say 5 reporters that they deal with and only speak to those 5 people, whoever they might be and working for.

3. Media does suck in Montreal....End of story.

Guest Miltie01
There was nothing wrong with Saku's reply. He spoke the truth.

If you're worrying about effect of his comments on the team, you have to consider that not everyone is motivated by a pep-rally speech. Sometimes when you say something like Saku did that's all the motivation some players need. Some need positive motivation, some need (borderline) negative motivation.

One thing's for sure... Koivu's comments were sugar-coated compared to the media and fans projection of how the team will finish.

Ya. maybe it was the truth, but as the leader of this team he can't say the club can't win. The stale cliches everyone complains about are used for a reason. If all the players feel the same way, why even play the season ? It is a matter of image. And yes I am worried about how it affects the team.

If your leader sees no hope, how can you ? How can your fans? Did you hear, well read, Bob's response ? Bob knows sometimes things happen. Bob knows your attitude will determine your altitude. Remember, he was on that 86 team that had no business winning a cup !!!!

I would have prefered Saku pulled a page from Jean Beliveau's book of quote book....." When you put on this jersey, you always have a chance !!!"

It isn't blowing smoke, it is setting the standard ! It is saying as a leader THIS IS THE GOAL, NOTHING ELSE WILL DO !!! NOW FOLLOW ME AND GIVE YOUR ALL.

I will leave you all with one more quote. When the Roy fiasco happened Patrick said part of the problem with the team was the attitude. He said when he started with the Habs the goal every year was to win the cup. He said things started going south when the goal became just making the playoffs. Did he think they were contenders every year ? Probably not, but you would never hear it from him.

Archived