The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

11 Saku Koivu 06-07

jl-1

Guest mac & Cheese
During the Golf Tournament Saku attested to meaning this, and that he was misquoted or taken out of context.

And I will say, it would sound a heck of alot more like Koivu with those things added in !!!!

Saku has always had this team and winning close to his heart !!!!

Everyone is right . . .i think???. I listened to the interview at the golf tournament and that(TSN ) is fairly accurate . . . he is essentially saying the same thing he said in Finland. He feels the team will make the playoffs but not be in the finals. . . and it was jumped on. I think it's a fair assessment most sports people have Montreal at 11 or under.

go back a couple of pages and listen for yourself . . . someone posted it

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest mac & Cheese
Everyone is right . . .i think???. I listened to the interview at the golf tournament and that(TSN ) is fairly accurate . . . he is essentially saying the same thing he said in Finland. He feels the team will make the playoffs but not be in the finals. . . and it was jumped on. I think it's a fair assessment most sports people have Montreal at 11 or under.

go back a couple of pages and listen for yourself . . . someone posted it

Ok - found the link . . . Page 783 post # 15636 and 38. On the left click Canadiens then Golf Tournament and listen for yourself.

He said " we should make the playoffs but are not the favorites to win the Stanley cup "

Ok - found the link . . . Page 783 post # 15636 and 38. On the left click Canadiens then Golf Tournament and listen for yourself.

He said " we should make the playoffs but are not the favorites to win the Stanley cup "

Saying that we're not favourite to win the Cup is not saying that we won't win it. Some medias made a huge deal out of nothing... once again!

Guest rosalie52
TQS is an entertainment channel, all that they present should be taken with a grain of salt, which include their news programs and sport shows.

It's not really fair to other media sources, who follow the Habs, to stick'em in the same basket as TQS. The "montreal media" issue is vastly overblown, they have gotten lost in translation on many occasions.

I agree with that.

TQS is an entertainment channel, all that they present should be taken with a grain of salt, which include their news programs and sport shows.

It's not really fair to other media sources, who follow the Habs, to stick'em in the same basket as TQS. The "montreal media" issue is vastly overblown, they have gotten lost in translation on many occasions.

The rest of the media is complicit by even giving any credence to this ridiculous non-story. If they had any sense they'd ignore it. But it's making headlines everywhere. And let's not forget le journal's antics last year when Koivu was in the hospital.

The rest of the media is complicit by even giving any credence to this ridiculous non-story. If they had any sense they'd ignore it. But it's making headlines everywhere. And let's not forget le journal's antics last year when Koivu was in the hospital.

Incredible how quickly they "forget" about the money Koivu invested towards the Montreal medical system... :angry:

Guest stevesaku
Incredible how quickly they "forget" about the money Koivu invested towards the Montreal medical system... :angry:

i really dont know how saku handles all of this. he gives and gives some more, and never asks for anything in return (except asking for help on the team) and yet the media take every chance they get to degrade and step on koivu...sickening

Guest Cenner Hice

As I understand it, Captain K said:

"...we should make the playoffs but are not favourite to win the Stanley Cup"; or

"I said that, on paper, we're not favourites to win the Stanley Cup"

This was then reported:

"We have a team to make the playoffs but not to win a Stanley Cup".

There is a vast difference between the two.

One version is: People don't think we can do it. I think we can - watch this space.

The other is: We can't do it.

Any idiot would know that no captain of a professional (or even amateur) sports team would say the latter. Unfortunately, many individuals employed in the reporting media don't even achieve the lofty rank of "idiot". So they report what sells papers - "truth", "fact" or fiction.

Press reporters in my industry very very rarely report things accurately. There's always some embellishment or error stemming, I believe, from a misunderstanding of the facts, limited knowledge and a desire to get a report out quickly.

If the favourite team to win the cup is the only one to have a chance of winning the cup, we may as well award it at the start of the season and not bother letting all the "hockey" get in the way. I do find it a bit expensive getting to the games and am sure that I could find something else to do with my time.

Anyhoo, I heard that he wants a trade to HC Montreal Tampere in Finland... ;)

Guest RedLightRacicot
i really dont know how saku handles all of this. he gives and gives some more, and never asks for anything in return (except asking for help on the team) and yet the media take every chance they get to degrade and step on koivu...sickening

He is the ultimate class act!

Guest RadioHab

Don't worry about the press Saku they are just bored and are digging for worms. I am sure you will shut them up come December when the Habs are fighting for 1st in the east!

GO HABS GO!! GO HABS GO!!

Guest CanadianMike
Those guys are the French version of E-Clown as far as credibility is concerned... I wouldn't pay any attention to what they're saying if I were you. :P

trust me..I don't! I can't even watch (they all talk at the same time). I watched a couple of times and had to turn it off. They are annoying Marc Bureau is a bitter man. I am still curious what was said during last nights show though.

I think by discussing this whole "Saku-Gate" any further, we've scored another victory on behalf of the Montreal media. This is exactly what they want us to do. They want us to be talking about them, buying their papers and visiting their websites to discuss their stories. What we should truly be discussing is Saku Koivu and the Montreal Canadiens; not Saku Koivu and La Presse.

I think by discussing this whole "Saku-Gate" any further, we've scored another victory on behalf of the Montreal media. This is exactly what they want us to do. They want us to be talking about them, buying their papers and visiting their websites to discuss their stories. What we should truly be discussing is Saku Koivu and the Montreal Canadiens; not Saku Koivu and La Presse.

Agreed. I prefer to focus on Koivu's upcoming season, now that he's finally had the cataract surgery and presumably is better able to see pucks at his feet and players out of the corner of his eye. If he stays healthy and has decent linemates, I don't see why Saku couldn't hit 80 points.

With the exception that we're showing that the vast majority strongly disagrees with their stupid twists of events they put into stories, shining some light and proving that fans are smarter than medias give them credit for.

With the exception that we're showing that the vast majority strongly disagrees with their stupid twists of events they put into stories, shining some light and proving that fans are smarter than medias give them credit for.

My brother-in-law has an expression that might be appropriate here: never wrestle with pigs, because you both get dirty, but the pig likes it. ;)

JL, though I see your point, I agree with Mojo that we only play the media's game by giving this non-story the time of day. We get their name out there, we help them sell papers, and we tacitly encourage them to pull this nonsense again in the future. Let's stay out of the pigpen and keep ourselves clean. :)

Guest habs_fan1160

I forgot this even happened until I signed on today.

So obviously if it's still top discussion in Montreal the media there really needs to start finding some real news to report on. The media is supposed to report things that display public interest. I think if the public stopped showing interest in the crap they print, they wouldn't be printing it anymore.

It's funny though, when he came back from Cancer he was all over the media "Captain Couragous" etc., etc., just because that's what the people wanted to see, now that, that's in the past they have moved onto finding things to trash his character with. He didn't slam the organization with that comment, honestly, he was just telling the truth, which is something the media in Montreal should be doing more often too.

It's funny how quickly people turn on others in Montreal, it's too bad it has to be against Saku, becuase he's one of the best guys in hockey.

Guest old-time Habs fan
I fully agree!

I, too, agree, with Rosalie,

that Koivu is worth every fee;

its healthy too, to realize,

that what you get's, before your eyes!

The eyes will have it, that's for sure,

and spirit counts for so much more;

to captain kids is his forte',

with him, as mentor, they'll obey.

Don't count him out, on any count,

he'll never get down from his mount;

with other riders, he'll succeed,

in winning over any steed.

GO KOIVU GO!!

My brother-in-law has an expression that might be appropriate here: never wrestle with pigs, because you both get dirty, but the pig likes it. ;)

all lower forms of life like maggots can crawl through a pile of manure and come out clean as a whistle on the other side.

thats why the media gets away with this sort of thing they are maggots :angry:

why do I get the uneasy feeling that Bob Gainey is going to have to come to Koivu's defence this year like he did Brisebois?

I forgot this even happened until I signed on today.

So obviously if it's still top discussion in Montreal the media there really needs to start finding some real news to report on. The media is supposed to report things that display public interest. I think if the public stopped showing interest in the crap they print, they wouldn't be printing it anymore.

It's funny though, when he came back from Cancer he was all over the media "Captain Couragous" etc., etc., just because that's what the people wanted to see, now that, that's in the past they have moved onto finding things to trash his character with. He didn't slam the organization with that comment, honestly, he was just telling the truth, which is something the media in Montreal should be doing more often too.

It's funny how quickly people turn on others in Montreal, it's too bad it has to be against Saku, becuase he's one of the best guys in hockey.

Yeah it makes you wonder why big name players won't sign here?But thats what comes with the territory and these players have to be able to take it and rise above it.

Yeah it makes you wonder why big name players won't sign here?But thats what comes with the territory and these players have to be able to take it and rise above it.

The problem is that it doesn't come with the territory anymore, thanks to Gary Bettman. You can be a big-name player and get paid top dollar to play in warm weather in half-full arenas where most people don't know your name and there is little to no media pressure.

As long as Bettman insists on catering to these southern markets, we're going to have to do our best to lure UFAs here and stop scaring them off with nonsense like this Koivu nontroversy.

Guest habs_fan1160

It's really sad too because look at all the stupid comments JR has made, and no one was running him out of town with pitch forks and IMO the comments JR have made are far worse than what Koivu said.

But JR wasn't in Montreal.

For a city that loves their Habs so much, I think something needs to be done. People should be boycotting these papers and media outlets until they start publishing things that are truthful or at least not so tabloid.

I would be there are tons of Habs fans who have subscriptions to these papers and all that is doing is supporting the papers and making it OK for them to be this way.

The media is fueled by the public, if no one is reading it or buying into it, then they have nothing to write for, ultimatley changing what types of things they put in the paper.

I know it takes a little more than a few Habs fans, but this is the city that breathes hockey 12 months a year.

I don't live in Montreal, however, if I did I'd be writing letters to the editor just so I knew I did what I could.

The media there is always publishing how MTL can't draw big named players and how the team doesn't win and how our captain shouldn't be because he can't lead the team.

When in reality the problems for the Habs not only come from the organization, but from the media.

People won't sign in Montreal because of the media spotlight, people won't sign there becuase they don't want the hassel.

Sure the Habs will always be in the spotlight, but there's a difference between dragging someones name through the mud and telling the truth and supporting the team.

Archived