The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

11 Saku Koivu 06-07

jl-1

Guest habinto
Am I hearing this right? The french media want Saku's 'C' taken away after his comment? I hate french media.

Whow! no media (French, English or others) is saying Saku should lose his "C". I read both the French and the English articles. Please provide a thread (anyone?). But still I don't necessarily like the media that make a mountain out of an ant hill!!!

Why would you eat the french media? Get it ha ha - I know it's weak!

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest halifax_habs
Agreed. I prefer to focus on Koivu's upcoming season, now that he's finally had the cataract surgery and presumably is better able to see pucks at his feet and players out of the corner of his eye. If he stays healthy and has decent linemates, I don't see why Saku couldn't hit 80 points.

He definetly has the talent and if we can find him a good LW to compliment Ryder he could easily be a point a game man. He had fantastic linemates at the Olympics and was phenomenol. He wasn't just riding Selanne's coat tails either, he was a contributing part of that line. Koivu has the talent to thrive with good players and if this team is to move to the next level we need to find a star player to round out or top line.

I expect Koivu to be low-mid 70 points again this year. Not an elite first line center but effective non the less.

Guest rosalie52
It's really sad too because look at all the stupid comments JR has made, and no one was running him out of town with pitch forks and IMO the comments JR have made are far worse than what Koivu said.

But JR wasn't in Montreal.

For a city that loves their Habs so much, I think something needs to be done. People should be boycotting these papers and media outlets until they start publishing things that are truthful or at least not so tabloid.

I would be there are tons of Habs fans who have subscriptions to these papers and all that is doing is supporting the papers and making it OK for them to be this way.

The media is fueled by the public, if no one is reading it or buying into it, then they have nothing to write for, ultimatley changing what types of things they put in the paper.

I know it takes a little more than a few Habs fans, but this is the city that breathes hockey 12 months a year.

I don't live in Montreal, however, if I did I'd be writing letters to the editor just so I knew I did what I could.

The media there is always publishing how MTL can't draw big named players and how the team doesn't win and how our captain shouldn't be because he can't lead the team.

When in reality the problems for the Habs not only come from the organization, but from the media.

People won't sign in Montreal because of the media spotlight, people won't sign there becuase they don't want the hassel.

Sure the Habs will always be in the spotlight, but there's a difference between dragging someones name through the mud and telling the truth and supporting the team.

I couldn't agree more!

Guest habs_fan1160
Whow! no media (French, English or others) is saying Saku should lose his "C". I read both the French and the English articles.

Maybe not in THIS particular article, but that's also because they actually didn't make this one up. So it's rare on both occassions.

It's so obvious the media are looking for a French captain. It's been said many times.

I don't think the media has ever come out and said "Saku shouldn't be captain because he isn't French," but they've done thier job implying that over and over again.

It's common knowledge, and not just from an "outsider looking in" that the media isn't as keen on players who aren't French. That's not me being bias or anything, it's just the way it is.

There are a lot of Habs fans who will tell you the same thing who were born and raised in Quebec.

It probably isn't ALL fans that believe this or think it should happen, hell, it probably isn't even half of the fans, but it's the way the media portrays it.

Maybe not in THIS particular article, but that's also because they actually didn't make this one up. So it's rare on both occassions.

It's so obvious the media are looking for a French captain. It's been said many times.

I don't think the media has ever come out and said "Saku shouldn't be captain because he isn't French," but they've done thier job implying that over and over again.

It's common knowledge, and not just from an "outsider looking in" that the media isn't as keen on players who aren't French. That's not me being bias or anything, it's just the way it is.

There are a lot of Habs fans who will tell you the same thing who were born and raised in Quebec.

It probably isn't ALL fans that believe this or think it should happen, hell, it probably isn't even half of the fans, but it's the way the media portrays it.

I agree. No one comes out and says it, but all this anti-Koivu media propaganda is subtly but insistently casting him as a problem, and I am pretty dang sure this wouldn't be happening if Koivu were French-Canadian. It's sad how a few bigoted members of the media can give everyone a bad name.

Guest habs_fan1160
I agree. No one comes out and says it, but all this anti-Koivu media propaganda is subtly but insistently casting him as a problem, and I am pretty dang sure this wouldn't be happening if Koivu were French-Canadian. It's sad how a few bigoted members of the media can give everyone a bad name.

I agree and I agree that it's the media moreso then the fans, Koivu seems to be a fan favourite in Montreal.

The way I see it is Koivu has never done anything wrong for the team, this includes what he just says.

The guy is a warrior, he came to practices when he was going through Chemo, now if that's not a love for a team then I really don't know what is.

He's always been there and I know he's had more offers from other NHL teams, yet despite babysitting the first line and being constantly ragged on in the media he remained with the team, again showing what kind of guy he is.

I think it would hard for us to find another captain who is this type of guy. I could go on and on about all the great things he's done for not just the Canadiens, but the whole city too, but I won't.

Him warrenting unwanted media attention, definately stems from the fact that he isn't a French born player, but IMO he's one of the leagues top 10 captains.

Guest stevesaku

then they say briere didnt want to come here because there was no place on the 1st line, because he wanted to play with higgy and ryder. thus making saku the odd one out. this is all koivu hate. the french media is making it seem that its indirectly koivus fault that we didnt sign briere...kind of makes you think they want us to turn on our captain.

this makes me sick

then they say briere didnt want to come here because there was no place on the 1st line, because he wanted to play with higgy and ryder. thus making saku the odd one out. this is all koivu hate. the french media is making it seem that its indirectly koivus fault that we didnt sign briere...kind of makes you think they want us to turn on our captain.

this makes me sick

This was denied today by Pat Brisson, Brière's agent. Mathias Brunet made this up once again, like he did with the Kovalev story which he never had a copy off.

This was denied today by Pat Brisson, Brière's agent. Mathias Brunet made this up once again, like he did with the Kovalev story which he never had a copy off.

It seems like its Brunet's job to be the Habs media pain in the you know what <_< ... "whatever Mathias ;) "

It seems like its Brunet's job to be the Habs media pain in the you know what <_< ... "whatever Mathias ;) "

He, Ron Fournier, Yvon Pedneault, Bertrand Raymond, Michel Bergeron and Rejean Tremblay... all in the same mold!

Guest StratfordStreak

That Kovalev story wasn't made up by Brunet though.

It actually was a published Russian article I beleive.

I don't beleive the article was made up at all, but if it was, it was done by the Russians.

That Kovalev story wasn't made up by Brisson though.

It actually was a published Russian article I beleive.

I don't beleive the article was made up at all, but if it was, it was done by the Russians.

But Brunet claimed having a copy... :rolleyes:

Guest StratfordStreak

I can't understand why anyone would purchase that paper if they have a guy running around telling blatant lies.

You would have to wonder how many other so called journalists for La Presse are doing the same thing.

I hope the gazette and other papers take them to task for reporting nonsense.

Guest habinto

I disagree with your 1st sentence and I agree with the fact that only a few handful of French media folks ruin it for everyone.

Guest rosalie52

Why it is such a big deal that Saku Koivu doesn't speak French? Anthony Calvillo doesn't speak it either, even after many years in Montreal. Nobody's complaining about that. It's always a double standard in Montreal.

Guest overlords
Why it is such a big deal that Saku Koivu doesn't speak French? Anthony Calvillo doesn't speak it either, even after many years in Montreal. Nobody's complaining about that. It's always a double standard in Montreal.

The als have been very successful compared to the habs in recent years. I'm sure if we were as bad as hamilton this year calvillo would be getting some bad press. I think the problem with the media has to be dealt with by gainey/boivin. They lead this team and they control who they let in to do the reporting. If they simply boycotted the media ie: refusing to do PC's for journalists and only doing it over tv etc. Also koivu has to stand out and finally tell them to shut up. I remember there was that holiday thing ( i think) where koivu said something in french and it gave me goosebumps. If only the media could be as mature.

Guest stevesaku

where did you hear this? i watched rds and all i saw was mathias brunet saying its the truth and blablabla.

Guest Miltie01

Now from what I hear on another board Stephane Richer is saying to the press that Saku is a bad captain !!!! Imagine, Richer commenting on someone else's leadership qualities. Talk about funny !!!!

Saku is surrounded by coaches and managers who have dealt with it all before. The media in Montreal is idiotic. Always has been, always will be.

Bob knows how to deal with those idiots...ignore them. Never give them any more due than they deserve.

Now from what I hear on another board Stephane Richer is saying to the press that Saku is a bad captain !!!! Imagine, Richer commenting on someone else's leadership qualities. Talk about funny !!!!

I saw that yesterday...Richer of all people...too funny.

where did you hear this? i watched rds and all i saw was mathias brunet saying its the truth and blablabla.

In the video section of RDS. Also, I Jigger heard the radio interview on CKAC. He posted a summary in the Briere thread in Around the league.

I can't believe what the media is doing to Koivu, honestly, I hope he demands a trade, this city and its ridiculous media don't deserve a captain like him.

I hope he doesn't. It's hard enough to convince key UFA's to play here as it is without having our top players asking for trades, adding to the pain!

It has been suggested on this forum that Gainey should tell his players not to talk to the media, but that would be punishing everyone for a handful of tabloid reporters. What I do hope instead is that the Canadiens (Gainey, Boivin, Gillett) ban some members of the media from the Bell Center. That would teach them a lesson. Get Pedneault, Fournier, Bergeron, Raymond, Brunet and Tremblay a one year ban from the Bell Center and see what boils down after.

If anyone had any doubts about Koivu's leadership, they should have been dissipated once Gainey renewed Koivu's contract when he was scheduled to become a free agent a couple of years ago. Gainey and Carbonneau were both behind the bench and in the dressing room at that time and I think that they know a thing or two about leadership, as two great former captains on our team and obviously, both agreed that Koivu was a good leader and captain, otherwise Gainey would have traded him, no?

I hope he doesn't. It's hard enough to convince key UFA's to play here as it is without having our top players asking for trades, adding to the pain!

It has been suggested on this forum that Gainey should tell his players not to talk to the media, but that would be punishing everyone for a handful of tabloid reporters. What I do hope instead is that the Canadiens (Gainey, Boivin, Gillett) ban some members of the media from the Bell Center. That would teach them a lesson. Get Pedneault, Fournier, Bergeron, Raymond, Brunet and Tremblay a one year ban from the Bell Center and see what boils down after.

If anyone had any doubts about Koivu's leadership, they should have been dissipated once Gainey renewed Koivu's contract when he was scheduled to become a free agent a couple of years ago. Gainey and Carbonneau were both behind the bench and in the dressing room at that time and I think that they know a thing or two about leadership, as two great former captains on our team and obviously, both agreed that Koivu was a good leader and captain, otherwise Gainey would have traded him, no?

that would certainly help my digestion :lol:

Archived