The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

11 Saku Koivu 06-07

jl-1

Maybe not in THIS particular article, but that's also because they actually didn't make this one up. So it's rare on both occassions.

It's so obvious the media are looking for a French captain. It's been said many times.

I don't think the media has ever come out and said "Saku shouldn't be captain because he isn't French," but they've done thier job implying that over and over again.

It's common knowledge, and not just from an "outsider looking in" that the media isn't as keen on players who aren't French. That's not me being bias or anything, it's just the way it is.

There are a lot of Habs fans who will tell you the same thing who were born and raised in Quebec.

It probably isn't ALL fans that believe this or think it should happen, hell, it probably isn't even half of the fans, but it's the way the media portrays it.

i think they just want to sell papers. if we had a french canadien captain they'd find something else to b*tch about.

they're still on briere after all...and we wonder why native quebecers or any player for that matter don't want to come here.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i think they just want to sell papers. if we had a french canadien captain they'd find something else to b*tch about.

they're still on briere after all...and we wonder why native quebecers or any player for that matter don't want to come here.

Atleast Koivu isn't the only one who will get bashed by the media's I think our good friends Kovalev and Brisbois will take some of the weight off his shoulders. :D

Guest Kovy-27

Saku Koivu is one of the best captain in the league and he's a 1# center! It's kinda a stupid topic,who would you want Brière or Koivu? Only a idiot would go with Briere and it's simple! 10 millions = 95 points...4.7 million = 75 points.My point is with 10 millions you could get almost 2 players who could score 75 points.2x75=150 points...1x95 points=95 points

The fact of the matter is...Brière doesn't deserve 10 million and Gainey did the right thing.Who the hell does he think he is,coming in and thinking that he's going to get the #1 spot in a silver plate.If he is that good then he would have simply outplayed Koivu and win the #1 spot.You can't just say to a guy who worked his ***** for 10 years to get out of the first line,what kind of message does Gainey send to the rest of the team? You want a top player? You want someone who deserve 10 million? Give it to Dany Heatley next year! You can't go wrong with someone like Heatley...

Saku Koivu is one of the best captain in the league and he's a 1# center! It's kinda a stupid topic,who would you want Brière or Koivu? Only a idiot would go with Briere and it's simple! 10 millions = 95 points...4.7 million = 75 points.My point is with 10 millions you could get almost 2 players who could score 75 points.2x75=150 points...1x95 points=95 points

Its hard to use math to quantify points per dollar type equations because you have to factor in the fact that Briere gets 95 points and takes up 1 roster spot and thus a certain amount of ice-time, whereas Koivu scores 75 and takes up 1 roster spot and thus a certain amount of ice-time. To better project what a player is worth, you have to discern how many points he scores given the ice-time he recieves. I'm not saying Saku isn't worth the money, he definately is, but we could increase the #1 centerman's production by 20 points without having to increase his icetime, it may be worth the money.

And if Saku Koivu played for Buffalo, in an all out offensive system, playing on the PP with guys like Afinogenov, Drury, Vanek, Pominville etc. he would still only be a 75 point guy? Lets get serious here, a players production is as much dictated by who he plays with as how good he is himself. If Koivu was centering established stars rather than potential stars, there would be a huge difference on its own right there, and it would still be at half the cost.

And if Saku Koivu played for Buffalo, in an all out offensive system, playing on the PP with guys like Afinogenov, Drury, Vanek, Pominville etc. he would still only be a 75 point guy? Lets get serious here, a players production is as much dictated by who he plays with as how good he is himself. If Koivu was centering established stars rather than potential stars, there would be a huge difference on its own right there, and it would still be at half the cost.

I am being serious. I'm not saying Briere is better than Koivu, I'm just saying that the type of calculation Kovy27 used doesn't prove that. I actually think Koivu is an insanely gifted player who has been babysitting his entire career.

To get back to a more positive twist on Koivu in spite of the Sharks trying to skin him, here's an interview Koivu did with Red Fisher, published yesterday, showing true journalism:

Captain K sets record straight

Saku Koivu has always spoken his mind, but when he suggested the Habs should make the playoffs, but weren't a Stanley Cup favourite, a mini-tempest erupted

RED FISHER

The Gazette

Friday, September 07, 2007

Earlier this week, when the Canadiens had gathered for their annual golf tournament, Saku Koivu stood surrounded by a forest of media people. It seems he had some explaining to do about a story that had appeared in La Presse last month.

"There were 10 of us having dinner in Finland," he was saying yesterday. " 'It's a Montreal number,' I told the people at the table. 'I've got to take this call.' "

As you'd expect, the caller wanted to know how Captain K felt about the coming season ... particularly since the Canadiens had failed to deliver a top-tier free agent.

"We've had some ups and downs," Koivu told the reporter. "We lost some players and it's too bad. We didn't get any top-tier players, but we have a bunch of really good young guys who've improved a lot during the last two years and now it's their time. We're going to make the playoffs. I'm very confident we are. But on paper, we're not favourites to win the Stanley Cup."

That's what Koivu was saying, but something may have been lost in the translation en route to the La Presse presses, because what appeared in the newspaper was: "We'll make the playoffs this season, but don't expect us to win the Stanley Cup."

Big difference.

"I guess there's a difference," Koivu told me. "English isn't my first language, but I don't see it as a big difference. What I meant was you make the playoffs and from there, everything is open. If you ask any experts, nobody is picking us to even make the playoffs!"

"Which experts?" he was asked.

"Experts," he said with a grin, adding: "I don't know what word I used. Maybe the reporter misunderstood. He didn't ask me: 'Is this what you mean?' And if I used the wrong word, I didn't correct myself. But I know what I meant. My point is: even if I used the wrong word, people who know me ... they know that even after 11 years, when I put my skates on, I hate to lose."

Know something? I don't know if Koivu has it right or the reporter did. What I do know is that if anyone is going to lead the Canadiens into the playoffs and take them as far as they can go, it's Koivu.

We're talking about a guy who was diagnosed with cancer only days before the start of the 2001-02 training camp, and returned for the last three games of the regulation season to an ovation matched only by Maurice Richard's reception on the night the Forum closed.

Those of us who were there, will never forget it. Those who weren't missed one of the most tingling high moments in Canadiens history.

The noise erupted from the standing men, women and children even before the first of the Canadiens had stepped onto the ice and grew and grew as one player followed another: Joé Juneau ... Craig Rivet ... and finally Koivu. And now, there was no longer a noise in the Molson Centre, but wave upon wave of thunder engulfing it.

"Saku! Saku! Saku!"

He stood there at the Canadiens blue line, along with the rest of the starting lineup. Then, with the noise washing around him, Koivu skated to José Theodore, hugged him and said:

"C'mon, let's do it."

Koivu skated to the blue line, and it was only then he removed his helmet, the lights glinting off his golden short spikes of hair - and all the while, the screaming thousands stood there welcoming back one of their own seven months after he was diagnosed with non-Hodgkins lymphoma.

"Saku! Saku! Saku!

Here's what I'm really saying about the firestorm erupting from the Koivu interview: you've got the wrong guy if you're looking for someone who says only things the media want to hear.

The Koivu I know will look you in the eye and tell you what he's really thinking.

What you get from Koivu is everything he's got - on and off the ice. No excuses. No lies. No phony grandstanding. No whimpering. No pointing a finger at teammates. No complaints that the media is doing him wrong.

I believe Koivu when he says: "The elements are there for us to be a lot better than we were last year. By having our young guys being older ... I think with the guys that we added, we're going to be a team that'll win more games when were not playing our best.

"We had this great first half last season, but in the second half there were nights when we were just okay - and we lost those games. Now, being a year older and guys having experience and adding some of the guys ... hopefully, we can turn those games around."

Koivu admits he would have loved to see the organization add a top-tier player to the mix. "But it's not easy," he said. "If you count the top, top guys, there's maybe three to five players who really make a difference. And there's 30 teams after those guys. The top players made their choice and they're not here and I don't have a problem with them not being here.

"Don't get me wrong ... it would be nice to get one ... to get the best possible team, but that's not the case right now.

"On the other hand, I don't think we should look back. I think we should just concentrate on what we have. It's a great spot for our young guys to step up.

"I felt really comfortable with (Michael) Ryder and (Chris) Higgins last year before Higgy got hurt. I feel when you get older, it's interesting and exciting to play with young players. I might have something that they don't have and I can help them, but with their youth and the energy they bring, it's something you don't have as much when you get older."

Koivu, you might remember, missed only one game last season after suffering a severe eye injury during the 2005-06 playoffs. He underwent surgery to remove a cataract during the off-season, and while his vision is a lot better, he admits: "It's still not 100 per cent." His hope is "we can do something with the laser" when his eye is re-checked - probably next week.

And as for the newspaper story that attracted the media horde at the golf tournament, Koivu insists it's behind him - as it should be.

"What's happened doesn't bother me," Koivu said, "because I know how I feel and what I think. What bothers me is that now they're saying I'm asking for a trade because of the fuss that's been raised. There's no bigger nonsense than that.

"It just doesn't make sense."

Alas (sigh), there are times when stories about the rich and famous never make sense. Like this one:

"I hear you've bought a luxurious house in Brossard," I said to him yesterday.

"Yeah, in Candiac," said Koivu, "but I didn't. I didn't, but that's what they say ... that I did it."

"You didn't buy a house?"

"No, I haven't," said Koivu, who lives in a luxurious house on Nun's Island. "We've got people coming and knocking on the door in Nun's Island and asking: 'Have you already sold your house ... because we want to buy it.'

"Why would we sell it?" Koivu asked several of his uninvited visitors.

"Well, because you're building a big house in Candiac and you're moving there," he was told.

"It's unbelievable. There's at least 20 ... 30 people asking me when I'm moving. I don't know where it's coming from.

"The house is ready ... it's been built ... the people who bought it haven't moved in - and the people who've been knocking on our door still think it's us. That's how the stories go here, eh?"

Hmph! Go figure.

Source...

Some of the comments from this article that truly revealed what Koivu is really all about, in spite of what the tabloids are trying to insinuate:

"There were 10 of us having dinner in Finland," he was saying yesterday. " 'It's a Montreal number,' I told the people at the table. 'I've got to take this call.' "

"My point is: even if I used the wrong word, people who know me ... they know that even after 11 years, when I put my skates on, I hate to lose."

He stood there at the Canadiens blue line, along with the rest of the starting lineup. Then, with the noise washing around him, Koivu skated to José Theodore, hugged him and said:

"C'mon, let's do it."

Talk about character and commitment! Plus he could have easily ignored that call but he took it during dinner.

Here's what I'm really saying about the firestorm erupting from the Koivu interview: you've got the wrong guy if you're looking for someone who says only things the media want to hear.

The Koivu I know will look you in the eye and tell you what he's really thinking.

What you get from Koivu is everything he's got - on and off the ice. No excuses. No lies. No phony grandstanding. No whimpering. No pointing a finger at teammates. No complaints that the media is doing him wrong.

That's quite different from what some of the French media is painting him as, isn't it? And that, coming from a guy who's been covering the Habs since well before all of us were born!

"I felt really comfortable with (Michael) Ryder and (Chris) Higgins last year before Higgy got hurt. I feel when you get older, it's interesting and exciting to play with young players. I might have something that they don't have and I can help them, but with their youth and the energy they bring, it's something you don't have as much when you get older."

So much for the allegations that Koivu wants to play with Kovalev! He seems quite happy with Higgins and Ryder if you ask him... not counting the "older" comment. :D

And as for the newspaper story that attracted the media horde at the golf tournament, Koivu insists it's behind him - as it should be.

"What's happened doesn't bother me," Koivu said, "because I know how I feel and what I think. What bothers me is that now they're saying I'm asking for a trade because of the fuss that's been raised. There's no bigger nonsense than that.

"It just doesn't make sense."

Doesn't sound like he's ever requested a trade either, as it was insinuated a while back, reading between the lines. ;)

Guest habsfan7344

koivu!!! :D

ganna retire his jersey in montreal and i am ganna start crying cause ill remember wat he has acomplished captain!! for like 12 seasons playing as a hab our best pic playing for Finland(i love Finland) i really really want Koivu to be a hab until he retires and i kno he will in montreal!!

YAh KOIVU YAH!!!!!

and it looks like koivu doesn't need a BIG LW!! he is happy with higgs and Night Ryder!!!

Guest Miltie01
Koivu gave us an idea that he was getting tired of that babysitting after last season. He now wants to win a cup. Point finale.

Oh really...read the article JL posted above. He says himself that he likes playing with young guys Higgins and Ryder(older, but young in the league )

Guest Kovy-27

I really like Koivu and all but damnit he got to win a Stanley Cup! I want him to win it with the Habs,the first euro captain to win the cup...that's my dream since the day I've started to watch the habs play and hopefully it's going to happen in Montreal or somewhere else.It would be really unfair if he doesn't atleast get a shot at the cup.It would be hard to watch Koivu play with another team but a great player like him deserve the cup.

Guest habs_fan1160

I'd bet if Briere ever signed here they wouldn't be on his case. They're just peeved off about it because he doesn't want to play here.

I'd bet if Briere ever signed here they wouldn't be on his case. They're just peeved off about it because he doesn't want to play here.

Don't kid yourself in thinking that they'd leave him alone... they would have found something else as they were on his case for his leadership, his feud with Ribeiro and the fact that he doesn't speak French to them... They're vultures flying around him in hope that he slips.

Guest habs_fan1160
Don't kid yourself in thinking that they'd leave him alone... they would have found something else as they were on his case for his leadership, his feud with Ribeiro and the fact that he doesn't speak French to them... They're vultures flying around him in hope that he slips.

I'm really surprised we don't have a team filled with Belak's, playing for the Habs sounds as appealing as getting a papercut in the eye.

Guest rosalie52
I really like Koivu and all but damnit he got to win a Stanley Cup! I want him to win it with the Habs,the first euro captain to win the cup...that's my dream since the day I've started to watch the habs play and hopefully it's going to happen in Montreal or somewhere else.It would be really unfair if he doesn't atleast get a shot at the cup.It would be hard to watch Koivu play with another team but a great player like him deserve the cup.

That's right!

Guest lisa_11

Wasn't sure of where to post this, so I decided to put it here since it mentions Koivu.

Réjean Tremblay's opinion on the Red Fisher article about Koivu (posted by JL) :

In his opinion it's "La Presse 2, Habs Organisation 0".

He also stated that Koivu doesn't have any balls.

De la bouillie que Red Fisher a merveilleusement embellie de sa prose patinée par les années. Mais de la bouillie quand même, qui en dit long sur le capitaine et sa capacité de faire face aux remous qu'il a lui-même créés. Quand Guy Lafleur se retrouvait dans la boucane après une déclaration passionnée qui avait mis le feu au Forum, il regardait les téteux qui espéraient un démenti avec son regard d'airain: «Oui, je l'ai dit!» Mais Guy Lafleur avait des couilles.

Translated in English (sorry, it's google translate :P, not the best) :

Réjean Tremblay

The Press

In the press campaigns, especially in the misinformation campaigns, there is no chance.

Saku Koivu gives an interview to Richard Labbé, Press, in which it affirms that the Canadian will take part in the series, but which one should not dream with a final of the Stanley Cut.

I know Richard Labbé. I know a thing of him. Insane about rock'n'roll and football, it speaks irreproachable English and it includes/understands any accent of any rappor. It is needed to seize the words of the music which it listens to. And then, in 10 years, it forever mingled with a history with badly seized and badly brought back declaration.

But here is that Bob Gainey was not very happy of this quotation which is frankly unworthy of a captain.

What makes the Organization? It knows that it can count on its old allies. Yesterday, it is the worthy one and legendary Red Fisher which made the job of arm. Rather awkwardly, in fact, since Koivu was obviously obstructed and preferred to patinate like Josée Chouinard. It admitted that “perhaps it employed a bad word but then, it would have been necessary that the journalist understands that it was about a bad word”. See the kind of triple lutz which it had to carry out to satisfy the Organization.

Pulp that Red Fisher marvelously has clearing of his prose patinated by the years. But of the pulp nevertheless, which in known as length on the captain and his capacity to face the movements that it itself created. When Guy Lafleur found himself in the boucane after an impassioned declaration which had put fire at the Forum, it looked at the téteux ones which hoped for a denial with its bronze look: “Yes, I said it!” But Guy Lafleur had testicles.

After having read the text of The Gazette which tested saloper well the Press, I do not have any doubt. Absolutely none. Press 1, Organization 0.

Koivu, it was yesterday morning. In the same edition, Mathias Brownish, our Rouletabille with us, revealed all the true lower parts which had led to the refusal of Daniel Brière to come to play in Montreal.

To summarize, Gainey could not guarantee that Brière would be the first player of center of the Canadian, because this station belonged to Koivu.

In fact the same Brunet revealed the explosive remarks of Alex Kovalev to a radio operator Muscovite. You remember? The Organization had contradicted. Kovalev, which was crowned some, had lied to everyone to give pleasure with the godfathers until it repeats the same remarks with its personal publicity agent in a Russian newspaper. More careful than Brownish, you write once per year.

I know one of the two sources of Brunet. It is solid and cast in the concrete as you cannot imagine, unless knowing one of these two sources.

But the Organization panics this season quickly. Normal, it missed the eliminatory series once again last season, it snobé the French-speaking hopes with the fishing out, the natives start with grogner and it knows that it must still better solidify its omerta when the things are less better.

The Organization thus telephoned Pat Brisson, the agent of Brière, yesterday. To give him a tank of silly things. Brisson, which is a professional of the negotiation and which will negotiate other important contracts with the Organization, thus tried to leave it the kneader by fustigating Brunet. That does not surprise me. In the businesses, it is frequent. There is a word as long as it is paying. To support the truth could cost the large one under. Stalemate was thus épanché on the shoulder of Michel Villeneuve, to CKAC.

Unfortunately, Éric Bélanger, one of its customers, said to Radio-Canada that Brisson had required, in its case, to know the wingers with whom it would play if it accepted an offer. As it did with Brière.

Personally, I was ready to believe that Brisson would not have spoken specifically about names. But I am convinced (and I will be it until my death) whom it required to know the statute of Brière with the Canadian. When Brière learned that Koivu would be the player of center number one, it could not come any more to play in Montreal. It was unthinkable.

But the Organization wants to protect Koivu and Gainey. The Organization thus worked extremely to rearrange the truth.

It is also as that which that occurs in policy and in the businesses. Nothing in it which can surprise me. They is just more obvious than front.

Except that that nevertheless gives Press 2 and Organization 0.

The true history in all this handling, it is the real statute of Koivu.

Koivu is regarded as a son by George Gillett and her family. If Uncle George says it, all the Organization must conform to the love of the American owner.

Gainey concerns directly Gillett. It is Gillett which approves or disapproves what is done within the Organization. If the French-speaking players and the indigenous customers are mistaken, it is that Uncle George approves it. If not, that would change.

And since the line of authority is that of Koivu-Gainey-Gillett, thus explain to me what really Guy Carbonneau and Pierre Boivin in this galère do!

An example which in known as length. Trevor Timmins, the chief of the tracking of the Canadian, declared that it did not include/understand why the League major junior of Quebec undertook his season three weeks earlier than in the remainder of the country. If he knew Quebec, he would know that the session of the cégeps begins on August 21 and that the young players must have chosen their college before this date! They must thus know in which team they will evolve/move to choose their institution. Do you think that the teams like to undertake one season on August 8? But Quebec, one had of it amply the proof, the Canadian is crowned some.

Thus, the Organization is wild. If there is a newspaper which does not agree to play the part that one would like to assign to him, that of cantor of the Organization, it is thus necessary to try to weaken it.

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=ht...Flanguage_tools

French Source:

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20070908...1006/CPSPORTS01

For those who don't know Réjean Tremblay, he's the one who was terribly upset at the Canadiens for not accepting that he used the team as a template for his TV series "Lance et Compte" (He shoots, he scores), and they had to use the Nordiques instead (le National de Québec).

He's always had it against the Canadiens and I have a strong feeling that he's somewhat mentoring Mathias Brunet as their styles are very much the same. Sensation over journalism.

How low really to put down Red Fisher, who's been covering the team back when Maurice Richard was still playing, one who knows what reporting a story is supposed to be. Just another way for a jab at Koivu!

To be honest. I dont know how koivu can handel such pressure from the media. They squeeze the living hell out of u. They dont leave you alone then they wonder why players dont come to montreal. Its so annoying to know that good players arent coming to this city . Were lucky koivu loves this city and loves being captain to this team. he has like 4-5 years left to win the cup . Thats not much time so come on guys win it for Koivu!

I'm really impressed by the way Saku is handling the pressure in Montreal. He's so calm!

That is because Saku Koivu is a class act, bar none. And I'm not all that surprised by La Presse's rebutal to Koivu's interview with Red Fischer. If they don't at least attempt to belittle Red Fischer and emasculate Sku Koivu in the media, then their story has no validitiy. Besides, if they drag this out for another week or two, they can justify having jobs while training camp is going on. Lord knows they're not actually going to cover training camp...they'rte obviously more interested in the mellow drama.

Archived