The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens

11 Saku Koivu 06-07

jl-1

Guest AlexOscar

Howdy,

just thought someone might want to see Koivu as a youngster from the golden generation of Finnish hockey playing alongside likes of Jere Lehtinen (Dallas Stars) and Ville Peltonen (Florida Panthers)... Also check out number 6 grabbing Timo Jutila after Finland's 4th goal. That's, yes... Janne Niinimaa. Another then Canadien prospect, who I think played in Montreal 95-96, Marko Kiprusoff is on the team as well. The guy with the Jagr look. :D And for those who wonder, he is Miikka Kiprusoff's big brother. Anyways, I wasn't sure which thread to put this in, so hopefully it's alright to have it here since it does feature The #11.

Venue: Globen, Stockholm. Game: Sweden - Finland, 1995 World Champs final.

A precious moment for all us Finns. And even at young age Koivu was the king of the rink. And remains to be. Hope you enjoy it. :D

http://youtube.com/watch?v=E6wwsxJcidU

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest habs_fan1160
And that's why he plays with Ryder :D

The reason he plays with Ryder is because Koivu is an excellent play maker and Ryder is a goal scorer. The reason behind it was so he could set Ryder up with some scoring chances, which he does. It's not because Koivu can't score.

Anyway onto his great effort last night. He was the difference in the game, gave us a bit of confidence after his goal on Miller, he was working hard a long the boards, battle for the puck, gaining possession of the puck, shooting when he had the chance. It's nice to see the Captain break his scoring drought.

GO Koivu!

Howdy,

just thought someone might want to see Koivu as a youngster from the golden generation of Finnish hockey playing alongside likes of Jere Lehtinen (Dallas Stars) and Ville Peltonen (Florida Panthers)... Also check out number 6 grabbing Timo Jutila after Finland's 4th goal. That's, yes... Janne Niinimaa. Another then Canadien prospect, who I think played in Montreal 95-96, Marko Kiprusoff is on the team as well. The guy with the Jagr look. :D And for those who wonder, he is Miikka Kiprusoff's big brother. Anyways, I wasn't sure which thread to put this in, so hopefully it's alright to have it here since it does feature The #11.

A precious moment for all us Finns. And even at young age Koivu was the king of the rink. And remains to be. Hope you enjoy it. :D

very nice video, fun to watch

Howdy,

I love the Finnish tongue... Very elegant. Great to see Koivu when he was a little beardless lad, I frogot just how fast he was before he had his knees destroyed. And I also frogot just how good he, Peltonen and Lehtinen are together... He and Selanne have a bit of a thing going aswell...

Guest AlexOscar
slowed because of his knees or slowed because of his team mates??

It would be unfair to put it on his team mates. The most essential part of it goes unnoticed to a lot of people.. smaller rink. Koivu is even more so magical in the so called European / Olympic rink. His balance has always been extraordinary. My brother and their team (before he chose soccer) was up against Koivu's line in the junior league and by his words there was no question he would make it big time. The injuries and smaller rink have definitely made him struggle to live up to the superb talent he is, but with that said his role in Habs, team Finland and the whole world of hockey is self explanatory. I know how it sounds, and by no means I intent to be sarcastic, but if NHL was played in a big rink, Koivu would've incorporated double amount of points and avoided many of the injuries that have come his way. But the man he is, he knew there was a price to pay and a lot of fighting to do when joining NHL. And that's why he is the captain of Montreal Canadiens. :D Anyways, if you want more links / material just give me a shout. I should be able to gather something up.

I can't explain how much Saku means to me as a person, he's my hero and for so much more then just how he can play hockey...

With that being said, I can't began to describe how much he means to this team, where would we be with out him? I don't want to think about it.

who said that :shock:  whoever said that does not know koivu, does not know habs, and does not know hockey !

Some of the fans here seem to turn from hot to cold depending on how the player in playing at the moment. Koivu has been awesome this year, but if he goes into a slump for a long period of time I bet people will start with the trade Koivu and take the C away again just like last year.

Some of the fans here seem to turn from hot to cold depending on how the player in playing at the moment.  Koivu has been awesome this year, but if he goes into a slump for a long period of time I bet people will start with the trade Koivu and take the C away again just like last year.

Just as some fans here are ready to canonize Koivu because he is producing and the team's doing well right now. I will admit that during his long drought last year, I had my doubts about Koivu wearing the 'C'. I thought maybe he was too quiet and low-key to be the motivator that we needed. I was wrong, and I'm happy to be wrong. Trading him is absolute nonsense.

What's become apparent is that he's the only forward we have who can significantly elevate his linemates' play. Ryder last year, Higgins and Latendresse this year ... they come through the Koivu Factory and come out much improved players.

Just as some fans here are ready to canonize Koivu because he is producing and the team's doing well right now. I will admit that during his long drought last year, I had my doubts about Koivu wearing the 'C'. I thought maybe he was too quiet and low-key to be the motivator that we needed. I was wrong, and I'm happy to be wrong. Trading him is absolute nonsense.

What's become apparent is that he's the only forward we have who can significantly elevate his linemates' play. Ryder last year, Higgins and Latendresse this year ... they come through the Koivu Factory and come out much improved players.

I don't disagree with that. Hes been playing like hes on a mission this year and seems to make a nice rush up the ice more often then not feeding his linemates. I believe Kovy can evelate his lineamates to an extent to when hes playing well like he did last game, but he doesn't play like that consistantly.

Guest habs_fan1160

nice to see him starting to score, 2 goals in 2 games isn't bad for a guy who's not known for his ability to score goals.

He was one of the best on the ice against the Flyers yet again, very consistant and a very smart player.

Koivu is very smart, the goal he scored was basically not about his deflection, but how he spaced himself away from the defencmen just enough to be open, but not quite far enough to make the defencemen worried.

Kovalev basically banked the puck off Koivu's stick the play was so perfect, imagine what Koivu could be doing for us if he had Kovalev with him all night *sigh*.

Archived