The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

11 Saku Koivu 06-07

jl-1

Koivu is very smart, the goal he scored was basically not about his deflection, but how he spaced himself away from the defencmen just enough to be open, but not quite far enough to make the defencemen worried.

Kovalev basically banked the puck off Koivu's stick the play was so perfect, imagine what Koivu could be doing for us if he had Kovalev with him all night *sigh*.

Yeah they look good together on the PP. If find it stranger that Carbs hasn't tried Sammy with them on the PP. He has been so good of late getting to pucks and making good passes. I think the three would be dynamyte on the PP or at the very least put them together in the last minute of a game when you are losing.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah they look good together on the PP.  If find it stranger that Carbs hasn't tried Sammy with them on the PP.  He has been so good of late getting to pucks and making good passes.  I think the three would be dynamyte on the PP or at the very least put them together in the last minute of a game when you are losing.

Sammy, Koivu and Kovalev

Koivu is the set up man , so ........

Who would be the guy to dig the puck out of the corner ?

Who would be the triggerman ?

Sammy, Koivu and Kovalev  

Koivu is the set up man , so ........

Who would be the guy to dig the puck out of the corner ?

Who would be the triggerman ?

I've seen players play together on teams with no triggerman, digger, or whatever. The players all contribute to each area. These are your three best offensive players and your three highest paid players. They have all been digging the puck out of the corner well of late. It doesn't really matter who does what. If you are in position to shoot then shoot. If you are in position to pass then pass. If you have to dig the puck out of the corner then dig it out. :D

who dug the puck when Hossa Kovalchuk and Savard were together in Atlanta? did that stop them from gathering 90+ point seasons?

Who dug in the Alffy Spezza Heatley line? Heatly? hardly, that didn't stop them much did it.

Point is, when 3 finesse players get together, the puck doesnt end up in the corners much, its cycled through the danger zones accurately, and its only a matter of time before someone finds an open spot and unleashes alittle chaos

Guest habsfan#08

O gosh i had to put this:

The article about Saku and Mikko on the canadiens homepage it has a chart of the point totals by brothers in the NHL and it says:

Hossa: Marian (31) Marcel (3)....can you tell whos the better brother?

Anyways back to Saku, hes playing really well over the past few games, i'm just wondering if hes trying to make Gui look better or if his eye is giving him superpowers.

Guest ryder_11_73

I think Carbonneau should try out Koivu, Kovalev and Samsonov, The are the only real "Big Name" Forwards we have. And the fact Kovalev and Samsonov have the ability to score goal after goal and Koivu can set them up night after night.

But on Koivu alone, He is one of the smarter players in the game, he deserves to wear captain for montrealo, he has gone through alot and done alot for this team. Go Habs Go!

Guest NothingGreater
By the way I'm not suggesting they should play together full time as that would probably unbalence the team, but on the PP here and there or if the team needs a goal late in a the game I think that unit Sammy/Koivu/Kovy with Souray/Markov should be out there.

I 100% agree.

Guest ryder_11_73
By the way I'm not suggesting they should play together full time as that would probably unbalence the team, but on the PP here and there or if the team needs a goal late in a the game I think that unit Sammy/Koivu/Kovy with Souray/Markov should be out there.

ditto

Guest Captain Koivu#11
who dug the puck when Hossa Kovalchuk and Savard were together in Atlanta? did that stop them from gathering 90+ point seasons?

Who dug in the Alffy Spezza Heatley line? Heatly? hardly, that didn't stop them much did it.

Point is, when 3 finesse players get together, the puck doesnt end up in the corners much, its cycled through the danger zones accurately, and its only a matter of time before someone finds an open spot and unleashes alittle chaos

You are absolutely right. I would also like to see those 3 players united on the same line at some point in this season. I think it could really be dynamite.

Guest Captain Koivu#11
I think Carbonneau should try out Koivu, Kovalev and Samsonov, The are the only real "Big Name" Forwards we have. And the fact Kovalev and Samsonov have the ability to score goal after goal and Koivu can set them up night after night.

But on Koivu alone, He is one of the smarter players in the game, he deserves to wear captain for montrealo, he has gone through alot and done alot for this team. Go Habs Go!

Right you are. I EXPECT him to retire as a MONTREAL CANADIEN!!!

Guest Captain Koivu#11
O gosh i had to put this:

The article about Saku and Mikko on the canadiens homepage it has a chart of the point totals by brothers in the NHL and it says:

Hossa:  Marian (31) Marcel (3)....can you tell whos the better brother?  

Anyways back to Saku, hes playing really well over the past few games, i'm just wondering if hes trying to make Gui look better or if his eye is giving him superpowers.

lol It's funny how you say that about the Hossa brothers, because that pretty much what I was thinking when I saw that on the Canadiens website. I found it funny.

Guest Captain Koivu#11

Oh man, that should be called the power line, because it almost guarantee's a goal.

Guest Captain_K

That would surely be interesting. I hope they try it out every now and then. That's one heck of a line.

Guest kjdriedger

So glad this guy became a Canadien way back when. I didn't know who my fave player would be as Carbo moved on. Love his game. Night in and night out. To think...some actually compare him and Kovy. Not even close.

He is a perfect example for Higgins, who will soon become the most important player on the team. But for another year, maybe two, that title continues to belong to Koivu.

So glad this guy became a Canadien way back when. I didn't know who my fave player would be as Carbo moved on. Love his game. Night in and night out. To think...some actually compare him and Kovy. Not even close.

He is a perfect example for Higgins, who will soon become the most important player on the team. But for another year, maybe two, that title continues to belong to Koivu.

Why do people say things like this? Thats just rude IMO. Koivu is having a great season, but the two are actually pretty close in what they bring to the team. Koivu is a career Hab so of course he will get more respect in Montreal. I like Koivu a lot, but they aren't that far apart.

Why do people say things like this?  Thats just rude IMO.  Koivu is having a great season, but the two are actually pretty close in what they bring to the team.  Koivu is a career Hab so of course he will get more respect in Montreal.  I like Koivu a lot, but they aren't that far apart.

I actually couldn't disagree more...

I don't want to get into a compare war here, but Koivu is clearly the leader of this team, he kills penalties, shows up every night and makes players around him a lot better...

So far that hasn't been the case from Kovalev, so while they maybe on an equal level production wise, what Koivu brings to this team everywhere else is where his major advantage lays.

I actually couldn't disagree more...

I don't want to get into a compare war here, but Koivu is clearly the leader of this team, he kills penalties, shows up every night and makes players around him a lot better...

So far that hasn't been the case from Kovalev, so while they maybe on an equal level production wise, what Koivu brings to this team everywhere else is where his major advantage lays.

What ever more he brings is worth .7 million more in cash I guess. :D If I remember correctly Kovy has two silver medals from European junior championships. One gold medal from world junior championships. One gold medal in the winter Olympics, one bronze medal in the winter Olympics, and a stanely cup ring. He was the player that scored against Broduer in the Olympics last year to send Broduer and the Canadians home early. Last year was the first playoffs series a team he has been on has lost in the first round of the playoffs. He was captain of the Russian Olympic team last year. Of late he has played on the penalty kill in the absence of Higgens. I've seen many things mentioned that Koivu can bring that Kovalev can't like leadership. We can also looks at things that Kovy can do for you that Koivu can't like he can at times dominate and win games for you almost single handedly. Overall it evens out pretty well I think even though Koivu comes out with a slight edge.

If I remember correctly Kovy has two silver medals from European junior championships.  One gold medal from world junior championships.  One gold medal in the winter Olympics, one bronze medal in the winter Olympics, and a stanely cup ring.

Off the top of my head Koivu has 2 Olympic Bronze medals, 1 Olympic silver, 2 World Championship Sivers, 1 gold, and a Silver at the World Cup of Hockey... Koivu is also the captain of team Finland and is in the Athletes' Commission of the IOC.

Koivu is the more decorated player internationally, I understand he doesn't have that ring yet, but he also hasn't played on a team like the '94 Rangers.

Off the top of my head Koivu has 2 Olympic Bronze medals, 1 Olympic silver, 2 World Championship Sivers, 1 gold, and a Silver at the World Cup of Hockey... Koivu is also the captain of team Finland and is in the Athletes' Commission of the IOC.

Koivu is the more decorated player internationally, I understand he doesn't have that ring yet, but he also hasn't played on a team like the '94 Rangers.

So you basically prove my point that they are not really far apart in their value. They have similiar numbers point wise, they both have lots of medals internationally, and they both have been captains for an international team even though Koivu has been one for a lot longer. The only differnce is Kovy having a Stanley cup ring and though the team was very good he was a huge part of them winning the cup that year. Koivu may have done just as well or better, but we will never know that. In the end I stand by my decision that their value isn't that far apart and thats why they don't make much of a differnce in salery.

So you basically prove my point that they are not really far apart in their value.  They have similiar numbers point wise, they both have lots of medals internationally, and they both have been captains for an international team even though Koivu has been one for a lot longer.  The only differnce is Kovy having a Stanley cup ring and though the team was very good he was a huge part of them winning the cup that year.  Koivu may have done just as well or better, but we will never know that.  In the end I stand by my decision that their value isn't that far apart and thats why they don't make much of a differnce ins salery.

I think the value is further apart then you seem to be willing to admit, I don't think there's any question who the more well rounded player is, Koivu, and who the leader of this team is, Koivu...

That's honestly not a shot at Kovalev, who is amazingly important to what happens from here till our season ends... but is a reflection of everything that Saku brings to this team.

Archived