The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

11 Saku Koivu 06-07

jl-1

I think the value is further apart then you seem to be willing to admit, I don't think there's any question who the more well rounded player is, Koivu, and who the leader of this team is, Koivu...

That's honestly not a shot at Kovalev, who is amazingly important to what happens from here till our season ends... but is a reflection of everything that Saku brings to this team.

I think Koivu is more important, but as I said I don't believe it's nearly as far apart as people are trying to make it sound. We have to look at a few things like Koivu is having an awesome start to the season this year while Kovy has had a somewhat slow start. Koivu was injured last season in the playoffs and the team lost. Yes it could be that Koivu going down lead to the less, but it could also just be that Cam Ward was excelent and the Canes were a better team. Their first goalie was swiss cheese the first two games.

I just remembered when Kovy was out with his knee injury last season the team struggled a bit. Is it any differnt then the team struggling when Koivu or Markov gets injured? It seems whenever a good player gets injured the team struggles a bit.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest habs_fan1160
Why do people say things like this?  Thats just rude IMO.  Koivu is having a great season, but the two are actually pretty close in what they bring to the team.  Koivu is a career Hab so of course he will get more respect in Montreal.  I like Koivu a lot, but they aren't that far apart.

I disagree with that too. Point wise, Kovy and Koivu are similar yes. But the way they play and what they bring to the team isn't even close to being similar.

Koivu shows up day in and day out and works really hard to accomplish what he has - espicially since he's so small in size.

Of course Koivu is a career Hab but I don't feel like that has anything to do with what he means to the team. We could have picked him up 5 years ago from Chicago and he'd still be the same great leader- yes it makes it cool that he's a career Hab, but that doesn't effect how he plays.

I disagree with that too. Point wise, Kovy and Koivu are similar yes. But the way they play and what they bring to the team isn't even close to being similar.  

Koivu shows up day in and day out and works really hard to accomplish what he has - espicially since he's so small in size.

Of course Koivu is a career Hab but I don't feel like that has anything to do with what he means to the team. We could have picked him up 5 years ago from Chicago and he'd still be the same great leader- yes it makes it cool that he's a career Hab, but that doesn't effect how he plays.

Like I said I don't argue that Koivu brings more to the team, but their worth isn't nearly as far apart as most people are making it out to be. You are right they both bring differnt things to the team, but Kovy has his own kind of intagibles that make him very valuable in certain situations.

Guest habs_fan1160
Like I said I don't argue that Koivu brings more to the team, but their worth isn't nearly as far apart as most people are making it out to be.  You are right they both bring differnt things to the team, but Kovy has his own kind of intagibles that make him very valuable in certain situations.

Kovy is valuable in the playoffs most of the time - however he's pretty inconsistant throughout the year.

No one is more important than anyone else. What's important is the team.

As much as we'd all love to believe that, it's not true, Markov is more important then Niinimaa, Koivu is more important then Downey...

Yes it's a team, but it's also a legitimate argument.

Guest vegasrick

I think Saku brings more of the "intangibles" to the team, which I think are a lot more important than most people realize. I keep going back to the "no-name" Minnesota Wild going all the way to the conference finals, even coming from behind so many times it made us all dizzy, and comparing that to all those years of the "other" New York Rangers who, with all their highly-paid "talent" missed the playoffs entirely. What would you rather have? Koivu wants to win, badly, all the time. He is always competitive, and that spells integrity. It's also why the words "franchise player" can be used for him freely, but not for other very tradeable skill players.

I also see Captain K elevating the other players on his line a lot more than anyone else. Higgins, Lats, Ryder, etc. all do better flanking him.

Give me a team full of Koivus any day!

Guest habs_fan1160
As much as we'd all love to believe that, it's not true, Markov is more important then Niinimaa, Koivu is more important then Downey...

Yes it's a team, but it's also a legitimate argument.

I agree.

That leads nowhere.

Then don't involve yourself in it, most of the conversation here leads no where, it's where people come to voice their opinions, I don't see why people can't discuss who's more important to the team?

I think Saku brings more of the "intangibles" to the team, which I think are a lot more important than most people realize.  I keep going back to the "no-name" Minnesota Wild going all the way to the conference finals, even coming from behind so many times it made us all dizzy, and comparing that to all those years of the "other" New York Rangers who, with all their highly-paid "talent" missed the playoffs entirely.  What would you rather have?  Koivu wants to win, badly, all the time.  He is always competitive, and that spells integrity.  It's also why the words "franchise player" can be used for him freely, but not for other very tradeable skill players.

I also see Captain K elevating the other players on his line a lot more than anyone else.  Higgins, Lats, Ryder, etc. all do better flanking him.  

Give me a team full of Koivus any day!

No one is attacking Koivu. I'm sure he will finish his career with the Habs and he has done very well so far this year. Hes playing better then he usually plays. Perhaps because he wants the cup so bad. Perhaps the injury got him thinking of getting that cup before he has to retire. On the otherhand Kovy is a winner to. The only reason Pittsburgh traded him was because they couldn't afford anyone at the time due to financial troubles. We all know he plays his worst hockey for the Rangers "excluding the playoffs". Hes usually pretty slow to start seasons, but hes generally there when it counts including the streatch run twords the playoffs and into the playoffs.

Guest habs_fan1160
Then don't involve yourself in it, most of the conversation here leads no where, it's where people come to voice their opinions, I don't see why people can't discuss who's more important to the team?

Valid point, as long as it's in the rules I don't see a problem with discussing it either.

It's interesting to hear other people's opinions.

Guest habs_fan1160
Hes usually pretty slow to start seasons, but hes generally there when it counts including the streatch run twords the playoffs and into the playoffs.

I don't understand why people say this. The important part isn't the stretch to the playoffs/playoffs. If you play 40 crappy games and have a great stretch to the playoffs, you're not going to get into them.

I'd rather have a player who is consistant all 82 games, and put's it all out there all season, than someone who is inconsistant like Kovy. This is why I feel Koivu is a better player, he plays every game like those are two points to get into the playoffs.

I don't understand why people say this. The important part isn't the stretch to the playoffs/playoffs. If you play 40 crappy games and have a great stretch to the playoffs, you're not going to get into them.

I'd rather have a player who is consistant all 82 games, and put's it all out there all season, than someone who is inconsistant like Kovy. This is why I feel Koivu is a better player, he plays every game like those are two points to get into the playoffs.

I never said Kovy was better player. All I said was they aren't that far apart and the last 20 games are usually deciedes weather a team makes the playoffs or not if they don't win a lot of games early on. It looks like the Habs don't have to worry about that to much this year though because the team as a whole is playing pretty well and Huet has been strong in goal.

Guest habs_fan1160
I never said Kovy was better player.  All I said was they aren't that far apart and the last 20 games are usually deciedes weather a team makes the playoffs or not if they don't win a lot of games early on.  It looks like the Habs don't have to worry about that to much this year though because the team as a whole is playing pretty well and Huet has been strong in goal.

Agreed, I don't think we're going to have any trouble making the playoffs. None of this one point difference this year that's for sure.

Guest habs_fan1160
koivu makes his linemates better...but its a shame he doesnt have line mates that make him perform to his potential night in and night out

I agree, he compliments so many guys on the team and helps make them better players and yet there hasn't been anyone that's complimented him. Maybe a guy like Bonk would, who knows.

Guest stevesaku
I guess thats why he gets paid the most money on the team.  Kovy helps him out once in a while.  :D

and thats why he is the second highest paid player on the team

Don't they need to take at least one player from each team?

If so ... Souray shouldn't have any trouble to get in, but it all remains if Saku will make it or not! :|

Archived