The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

11 Saku Koivu 06-07

jl-1

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ChriS_HigGinS#1
Good game by Saku tonight, especially when he blocked Whitney's "empty net" shot:)

Yea, that was a pretty nice save by Saku. It's too bad he didn't take any shots I thought he was handling the puck nicely and he could've been the difference maker.

Guest ChriS_HigGinS#1

How can you gys expect Saku to be a starter come the all-star game? He has been a solid player for us but I mean realisticaly he hasn't even averaged 1 point a game. I am pretty sure almost evry other team has a player more dominant then Koivu has been this season so far. I love Saku but I think Huet and Souray have been the better players.

How can you gys expect Saku to be a starter come the all-star game? He has been a solid player for us but I mean realisticaly he hasn't even averaged 1 point a game. I am pretty sure almost evry other team has a player more dominant then Koivu has been this season so far. I love Saku but I think Huet and Souray have been the better players.

As far as I'm concerned Koivu is an all star in my mind. Who cares about those other sellfish players who get voted to the all star game.

Guest habs_fan1160
As far as I'm concerned Koivu is an all star in my mind. Who cares about those other sellfish players who get voted to the all star game.

Agreed, the All-Star game isn't what's important; what's important is his time with the Candiens.

Btw, last nights game - he was great. Did anyone catch is safe on that goal? That puck was going in and Koivu got in the way and blocked it on a wide open net.

And that's why he's always the Habs All-Star. Very smart player.

Guest stevesaku

i agree..but sometimes i wish this guys work gets recognized.i want him at the all star game to show him that he is a very important player for the habs and he is a star on this team.

Guest vegasrick

Meh.....Koivu's been at the all-star game before, but......it's a stupid, non-contact game where the final score is in double-digits for both sides usually.

I think most players would rather have the days off........well, not most, but a lot, probably.

Meh.....Koivu's been at the all-star game before, but......it's a stupid, non-contact game where the final score is in double-digits for both sides usually.  

I think most players would rather have the days off........well, not most, but a lot, probably.

i agree. and that's what we need, no hab at the all-star game, it's just better for the team, to get some rest before we make our final run

Souray has a good slapshot big deal, without koivu we would be last place, without souray we might lose a couple more games.

Guest stevesaku
i agree. and that's what we need, no hab at the all-star game, it's just better for the team, to get some rest before we make our final run

and what about the players that do go to the all star game? so what your saying is the greatest franchise in hockey shouldnt be represented at the all star game.the players that do go will still be ready for the final stetch.cause there good enough to be ready.

Guest lisa_11

I found a great article on Koivu!:D

Koivu inspires cancer survivor

Lili leger credits Captain K's words of encouragement for saving her life during battle with disease  

"I know what he went through, because I've gone through it, too," says cancer survivor Lili Leger, meeting Canadiens captain Saku Koivu, who sent a card of encouragement that greatly helped her recovery from non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.  

Her hero wore an open-necked dress shirt, the grizzle of a beard and a weary smile, and it was with an iron spirit and rubbery legs that Lili Leger stepped through the sliding silver doors last Saturday night to thank him for saving her life.

Beckoning Leger inside was Canadiens captain Saku Koivu. They would meet for the first time to hug, hold hands and exchange a few quiet words. Even with a dozen people in the team's Bell Centre dressing room, they were quite alone.

It's often like this, Koivu would later say, when you've fought the same disease and beaten it back.

You can read the rest of the article;

Guest vegasrick
and what about the players that do go to the all star game? so what your saying is the greatest franchise in hockey shouldnt be represented at the all star game.the players that do go will still be ready for the final stetch.cause there good enough to be ready.

No, I don't think anyone is saying that.......but you have to admit, it's more of a popularity contest, and wouldn't you rather have the greatest franchise in the world represented at the Stanley Cup Finals?

Guest stevesaku
No, I don't think anyone is saying that.......but you have to admit, it's more of a popularity contest, and wouldn't you rather have the greatest franchise in the world represented at the Stanley Cup Finals?

yah ofcourse i would want that but the team that will be at the stanley cup finals will surely have a player at the all star game...im not saying just because your at the all star game your team will reach the cup final all im saying is teams that reach the final have an all star on there team...but your right if it really benefits the team than i wouldnt send anyone

Guest NothingGreater
I found a great article on Koivu!:D  

You can read the rest of the article;

I have had a few family members die of cancer, I have seen it rot people away first hand. This article brought tears to my eyes and made me so proud that Koivu is the captain of my Team!

This man is my opinion should never leave the Habs and maybe even have his number retired, my respect knows no bounds for him..

Guest ChriS_HigGinS#1
I have had a few family members die of cancer, I have seen it rot people away first hand. This article brought tears to my eyes and made me so proud that Koivu is the captain of my Team!

This man is my opinion should never leave the Habs and maybe even have his number retired, my respect knows no bounds for him..

If Koivu wins the cup with the Habs I have no doubt his number will be retired. But I don't know if his incredible heart and determination and leadership are enogh to be raised to the rafters with the likes of Savard and Richard.

Guest CanadianMike

SAKU KOIVU is everything a MONTREAL CANADIENS PLAYERS should be....there is only one city this guy should play and that is here.

SAKU all the way! :D

Guest ChriS_HigGinS#1
SAKU KOIVU is everything a MONTREAL CANADIENS PLAYERS should be....there is only one city  this guy should play and that is here.

SAKU all the way! :D

Maybe the only city he'd crack the starting lineup:lol: , I'm just kidding I think Saku is a huge part of this team and an amzing leader and we're lucky to have him.

If Koivu wins the cup with the Habs I have no doubt his number will be retired. But I don't know if his incredible heart and determination and leadership are enogh to be raised to the rafters with the likes of Savard and Richard.

If what he has done for montreal isnt enough than I would be ashamed to call myself a Habs fan. It would be an embarrassment to think that just because he couldn't carry the whole team to a cup that he doesn't get his number retired.

Guest Captain_K
If what he has done for montreal isnt enough than I would be ashamed to call myself a Habs fan. It would be an embarrassment to think that just because he couldn't carry the whole team to a cup that he doesn't get his number retired.

Yeah, I totally agree with you! Everything he does affects the team. When he gets hurt, they tend to fall apart completly. If he's on a hot streak, he makes all the players around him look 3 times better. He means so much to the team and he deserves to have his number retired one day. He may not have the best stats around...But the game isn't only about stats, he contributes to all the aspects of the game. Even if he doesn't win a cup with the Habs...I still hope that he'll get his number retired.

Guest ChriS_HigGinS#1

all I was saying was that there are many other players who have accomplished so much more on ice. If you compare Saku to another player who IMO was the best Hab of all time; Jean Beliveau. In 20 seasons with the habs Beliveau recorded 1219 points in the regular season and 176 playoff points. Along with the award he received including a conn smyth, an art ross and 2 hart trophies, Beliveau has been one of the greatest players of all time.

On the other hand Saku Koivu is in his 10th season with the habs. Saku has 460 pts in the regular season and 36 in the playoffs. He's won the Bill Mastersons trophy and the Presidents trophy. Saku has not won a stanley cup but he is a great leader and our best current hab.

I chose to compare these 2 players because they are/were great hockey players and were even better people off the ice. I can't see Saku's number being retired down the road based on him being the captain alone. That is why I said if he wins us the cup his number would be retired no questions asked.

Archived