The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

11 Saku Koivu 06-07

jl-1

all I was saying was that there are many other players who have accomplished so much more on ice. If you compare Saku to another player who IMO was the best Hab of all time; Jean Beliveau. In 20 seasons with the habs Beliveau recorded 1219 points in the regular season and 176 playoff points. Along with the award he received including a conn smyth, an art ross and 2 hart trophies, Beliveau has been one of the greatest players of all time.

On the other hand Saku Koivu is in his 10th season with the habs. Saku has 460 pts in the regular season and 36 in the playoffs. He's won the Bill Mastersons trophy and the Presidents trophy. Saku has not won a stanley cup but he is a great leader and our best current hab.

I chose to compare these 2 players because they are/were great hockey players and were even better people off the ice. I can't see Saku's number being retired down the road based on him being the captain alone. That is why I said if he wins us the cup his number would be retired no questions asked.

Compare the teams, put Belevieu on the team Koivu has had to deal with for the past 10 years and I imagine he wouldn't be so amazing.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ChriS_HigGinS#1
Compare the teams, put Belevieu on the team Koivu has had to deal with for the past 10 years and I imagine he wouldn't be so amazing.

IMO that's no excuse, It's not like Koivu has been lighting up the scoreboard and finishing with top points every year like an Alex Ovechkin type player where he's the only one on the team. Saku has had his share of elite teammates (mostly recent teammates). I will agree that Beliveau has been on some of the best teams to ever play but in his case, unlike in Koivu's, Beliveau was the main reason.

Guest Miltie01

Saku has had a history of injury ,illness and being surrounded by crap and he has always been the best Hab. Strong wording I know but it is the truth. He has been the team all these years.

Guest ChriS_HigGinS#1
Saku has had a history of injury ,illness and being surrounded by crap and he has always been the best Hab. Strong wording I know but it is the truth. He has been the team all these years.

True, but the initial question was: Do you think what Saku has done so far in his career makes him worthy of having his number retired and going down as one of the best Habs in history? And I think he needs to win at least 1 cup before I'd consider him.

Guest Miltie01
True, but the initial question was: Do you think what Saku has done so far in his career makes him worthy of having his number retired and going down as one of the best Habs in history? And I think he needs to win at least 1 cup before I'd consider him.

Point well taken, you are most likely correct too. Beyond that it would be so sweet to see him hold Stanley over his head and take it for a skate !!!!!

Wow. Just wow.

Koivu had a bad 1st period just like everyone, and he realises this; he comes out and almost single-handedly brings gets the team back into the game and gets a goal in the shootout, just beautiful to watch. And then after they announced him as the first star, throwing the stick into the crowd like that was just so classy, what a guy.

KOIVU RULES!

Guest lisa_11

great game by my favourite player :mrgreen:

loved it when he threw his stick to the crowdd!

loved it even more when he scored two, no, three times :D

pfft, if i was there i wouldve thrown my hat on the ice anyway.

Chapeau Capitaine :clap:

Like RDS said, there's a reason why Koivu has that "C"

:resp:

Guest NothingGreater

Thats sad that you judge players like that.

When you think of that past ten years, in all the horror that has surrounded us and our team.

think.

Who has been with our team, thick or thin? Who has been clutch OH-SO-OFTEN. Who has come back from certain defeat, over and over. Koivu is the definition of persiverance, persistance, dedication, leadership. I could go on, but the fact remains over the past decade he has been the only thing to cheer about until now.

Teams dont just retire numbers based on the players statistics...Its a lot deeper than that...Its what the player did on the ice, meant to the team, meant to the city etc. Did he leave his stamp on the organization? Things like that...

#11 will be in the rafters no Q about it...It may not happen right away like a Bourque or Hull type thing but it will happen

Guest habsFREAK27

Great game Captain Courage. I heard in an interview that Saku stood up in the locker room and did a speech and said have to play 32094974 better than like in the 1st period.

Koivu himself did the great goals to help us win this game. Great game Saku.

As for throwing his stick at the end was awesome, Koivu is a real gentlemen. I know that when he sees somebody with his jersey, he goes automatictly to sign it without asking you. I know some people that work at the Bell center that told me that. Nice guy. :D

Saku, Saku, if only this guy got the credit he deserves, for being the absolute total package for this team, i hope he remains healthy all year long, Captain K is on his way to a career season, and is carrying this team even when things look grim, this guy is pulling the team right back into the thick of it, and finding ways to make his team win.

I love him, he is the kind of player that no matter where he plays in his career, he will be my Favorite player, and i hope he finally does have a healthy season and a career season to silence his critics who think he is good, but not good enough.

Guest ChriS_HigGinS#1
Thats sad that you judge players like that.

When you think of that past ten years, in all the horror that has surrounded us and our team.  

think.

Who has been with our team, thick or thin? Who has been clutch OH-SO-OFTEN. Who has come back from certain defeat, over and over. Koivu is the definition of persiverance, persistance, dedication, leadership. I could go on, but the fact remains over the past decade he has been the only thing to cheer about until now.

You need to look back one page to see the true story. I am a huge Koivu fan and love his leadership and on-ice skill and he's done alot for our team, but when you look back on our history there are sooooooo many deserving players who could be raised to the rafters and Koivu is one of them. The only thing is Montreal is the team with the most Stanley Cups in the History of the NHL and in the past 10 years Koivu has been unable to win one. They only just retired Savard's number and he played in the 70's. The list of deserving players is tremendus. Trust me, Saku Koivu has been the face of Hockey in this city since I remember and I don't remember any other captains, it's just that if he plays his entire career here without winning a single stanley cup IMO that doesn't make him eligible to be up there with people who have brought this city numerous Cups and made it the hockey city it is today. I love Koivu but I'm just trying to make a point...

You need to look back one page to see the true story. I am a huge Koivu fan and love his leadership and on-ice skill and he's done alot for our team, but when you look back on our history there are sooooooo many deserving players who could be raised to the rafters and Koivu is one of them. The only thing is Montreal is the team with the most Stanley Cups in the History of the NHL and in the past 10 years Koivu has been unable to win one. They only just retired Savard's number and he played in the 70's. The list of deserving players is tremendus. Trust me, Saku Koivu has been the face of Hockey in this city since I remember and I don't remember any other captains, it's just that if he plays his entire career here without winning a single stanley cup IMO that doesn't make him eligible to be up there with people who have brought this city numerous Cups and made it the hockey city it is today. I love Koivu but I'm just trying to make a point...

It's an interesting debate, Koivu will likely end up as the longest serving captain in Montreal Canadiens history, which means something... If he wins the cup I think it's a sure thing number 11 goes to the rafters... IMO he should be raised anyways...

You can't compare the teams of old, I think you should look at the team he played on, and what he did with what he had around him, and I think he deserves 100% to be up there.

Guest ChriS_HigGinS#1
It's an interesting debate, Koivu will likely end up as the longest serving captain in Montreal Canadiens history, which means something... If he wins the cup I think it's a sure thing number 11 goes to the rafters... IMO he should be raised anyways...

You can't compare the teams of old, I think you should look at the team he played on, and what he did with what he had around him, and I think he deserves 100% to be up there.

Would you put him up over a player who was a reason for winning the Stanley Cup say...Guy Carbonneau who played 13 seasons for the habs and won 2 Stanley Cups? He captained the winning team in 93 while putting up around 50 points a season as a defensive forward.

Guest SuperHabsFan

I agree with you that it would be hard to retire the number of koivu if he doesn't win a cup with us(a Big If), but I still think that he deserves it.

I think koivu did what he could to bring us a cup, but one player can't win the cup by himself, it takes a team and if you look in the past 10 years, we didn't have many really good players other than koivu.

In todays nhl, it's hard for a team like montreal to win a cup because we need to be competitive every year. We can't have a three, four year slump where we boost our team with great rookies like pittsburgh or others. Just look at this year, we have a decent team but we may loose many of our players next year because of the salary cup.

So the best thing would be, we win the cup this year or in the next few years with koivu and we retire his number when he finishes his career.

Guest cheerio279

what a sweet shootout goal, what tenacity on the goals in the 3rd, what leadership he possesses, what a captain, what a hockey player...what a man...Saku Koivu :bow:

Guest stevesaku
Wow. Just wow.  

Koivu had a bad 1st period just like everyone, and he realises this; he comes out and almost single-handedly brings gets the team back into the game and gets a goal in the shootout, just beautiful to watch. And then after they announced him as the first star, throwing the stick into the crowd like that was just so classy, what a guy.

KOIVU RULES!

yes he is a grat guy.after the game i went to see the players come out of the garage and he drove off..a few girls chased his car so me and my friends follwed...saku actually pulled over i couldnt believe it.he gave an autograph to everyone including myself.but wow he pulled over to the side of the street just to give 4 ppl autographs..i got to shake his hand too...i love this guy

Archived