The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

11 Saku Koivu 06-07

jl-1

Guest ChitownHabby

Saku Koivu is more than an athlete, He is a great man. He may never lead the NHL in scoring or perhaps even win a Stanley Cup, but he is what every player in the league should strive to be : Courageous, Intelligent, Hard-Working, Physical, Tenacious and Skilled. Kovalev gets all the press but there is no doubt that Saku Koivu is the Best Hockey Man on the team.

I truly believe that his number 11 should be retired when all is said and done, because his legacy as a Captain will forever be imbedded in the hearts of fans from our generation, those who've only seen a couple cups, lots of mediocre years and 1 heck of a little man wearing number 11, the jersey will never look right on anyone else again. Koivu 11 should hang from the rafters to represent all that is good with modern hockey players and to serve as a reminder to the other millionaires on how they should carry themselves.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest FirstStar
Saku Koivu is more than an athlete, He is a great man. He may never lead the NHL in scoring or perhaps even win a Stanley Cup, but he is what every player in the league should strive to be : Courageous, Intelligent, Hard-Working, Physical, Tenacious and Skilled. Kovalev gets all the press but there is no doubt that Saku Koivu is the Best Hockey Man on the team.  

I truly believe that his number 11 should be retired when all is said and done, because his legacy as a Captain will forever be imbedded in the hearts of fans from our generation, those who've only seen a couple cups, lots of mediocre years and 1 heck of a little man wearing number 11, the jersey will never look right on anyone else again. Koivu 11 should hang from the rafters to represent all that is good with modern hockey players and to serve as a reminder to the other millionaires on how they should carry themselves.

Exactly what I said...An inspiration to us all. I agree with you, I'll never again see the #11 Habs Jersey in the same light, after seeing Koivu with it. It's his and I think it should remain his, long after he's gone; I mourn that day already. The 5'10 wonder, that play's his heart out every night.

Saku Koivu plays with such heart and is such an unbelivable player to watch. I wish Saku the best of luck and i pray we can with #25 with him still as our captain. All the injuries he has fought back from, he is truly a man of class and he does the Canadiens jersey very proud. I think Saku is the only player who not one person has anything bad to say about. Non- Habs fans will go on about how Souray always gets burnt and how kovalev has no heart but nobody has anytihng to say about saku. He is a great team leader and I hope we retire his jersey. If it wasnt for Saku who knows if ryder and higgins would even be half the players they are right now

Saku Koivu plays with such heart and is such an unbelivable player to watch. I wish Saku the best of luck and i pray we can with #25 with him still as our captain. All the injuries he has fought back from, he is truly a man of class and he does the Canadiens jersey very proud. I think Saku is the only player who not one person has anything bad to say about. Non- Habs fans will go on about how Souray always gets burnt and how kovalev has no heart but nobody has anytihng to say about saku. He is a great team leader and I hope we retire his jersey. If it wasnt for Saku who knows if ryder and higgins would even be half the players they are right now

I agree with everything u said except for the Ryder and Higgins thing. Yes Saku has helped them tremendously but to say they wouldnt be half the players they are takes away from them and remember they are in their 2nd and 3rd years.

I agree with everything u said except for the Ryder and Higgins thing. Yes Saku has helped them tremendously but to say they wouldnt be half the players they are takes away from them and remember they are in their 2nd and 3rd years.

No disrespect at all to Ryder and Higgins, but I don't think we can really overestimate the extent to which Koivu has helped them mature as players. He's the playmaker, the guy who makes things happen, who frees up ice for Ryder to trigger. He's got great vision and Higgins himself has said that half the reason he exploded last year was because he had Koivu feeding him passes. When Koivu went down in the playoffs, so did his line, and so did the team. He is the heart and soul of his line.

No disrespect at all to Ryder and Higgins, but I don't think we can really overestimate the extent to which Koivu has helped them mature as players. He's the playmaker, the guy who makes things happen, who frees up ice for Ryder to trigger. He's got great vision and Higgins himself has said that half the reason he exploded last year was because he had Koivu feeding him passes. When Koivu went down in the playoffs, so did his line, and so did the team. He is the heart and soul of his line.

I couldnt agree more....perfectly said...Koivu is the heart and soul of the team!!!

I love reading ur posts weepingminotaur, always right on point and executed with such clarity!!!

I couldnt agree more....perfectly said...Koivu is the heart and soul of the team!!!

I love reading ur posts weepingminotaur, always right on point and executed with such clarity!!!

:D

Thank you, my friend.

Koivu may have his ups and downs as the season progresses, but I wouldn't trade him for anyone. What this man has given and continues to give to the Habs, the fans, and the Montreal community is worthy of our deepest respect.

Guest Newfie_Gurrl29

i know its been asked for over and over again, but does anyone have a link to the video when Koivu returned from cancer? i cant find it. could you PM it to me? thanks.

Well I think Higgins needs Koivu. He didn't start scoring until centered by Koivu, and when Koivu went down, so did Higgins.

I think Ryder could still score with a somewhat less talented center. He scored well with Ribs and I think he'd do fine with Plekanek or someone. Not that Koivu doesn't help, but I don't think Ryder needs him quite as much as Higgins does.

Well I think Higgins needs Koivu. He didn't start scoring until centered by Koivu, and when Koivu went down, so did Higgins.

I think Ryder could still score with a somewhat less talented center. He scored well with Ribs and I think he'd do fine with Plekanek or someone. Not that Koivu doesn't help, but I don't think Ryder needs him quite as much as Higgins does.

What would you think of a slight change in the line-up... Higgins-Koivu-Kovalev / Samsonov-Plekanecs-Ryder

bw6

What would you think of a slight change in the line-up... Higgins-Koivu-Kovalev / Samsonov-Plekanecs-Ryder

bw6

That was more or less what I suggested in the Samsonov thread. Either that or Samsov on top line instead of Kovalev. Either way I think it could help the second line without hurting the first line much.

Great game for Saku tonight vs the Avs. He got 3 assists which is extremely good :D I hope he continues playing well. I like what I've been seeing from him lately.

bw6

I wouldn't do that. It would change something that gets us quite a few goals, which even happened tonight. Koivu's imfamous passes right through the crease to Ryder on the side, who just pulls the trigger. It works well. They did it last year, and they did it tonight.

I suppose I can't really say it wouldn't be the same with Samsonov or Kovalev, however, it might affect Ryder's overall output.

Anyways, great game by Koivu, :D. 3 assists is nothing to scoff at! He nearly scored a couple of times; one of those being finished by Higgins!

bw6

Well, after tonight's game I'd leave the lines the same :D

I actually, in all seriousness, forgot he had an eye injury until I read it again in the gamethread, lol. What an incredible pass to Rivet for the breakaway goal.

Guest hogtownhabsfan

I don't even feel a need to post in the Koivu thread no longer, because his play is so consistantly great. He is everything one would want in a captain. I hope he wins the stanley cup, nearly as much as I hope I achieve my dreams. Thats how much respect I have for the man...

I actually, in all seriousness, forgot he had an eye injury until I read it again in the gamethread, lol. What an incredible pass to Rivet for the breakaway goal.

Lol, good point. I agree :D He played an incredible game tonight with 3 assists. I would of wanted him to have scored, but 3 assists is good enough for me.

Guest habs_fan1160

He's been having a consistant, strong season so far. You can really tell he's leading the team.

I wonder what he said to them during the first intermission, because they came out fired up.

He's a player we can all be proud of. Great heart, great captain. I couldn't imagine anyone else leading our team.

Guest xxfannyxx
I don't even feel a need to post in the Koivu thread no longer, because his play is so consistantly great. He is everything one would want in a captain. I hope he wins the stanley cup, nearly as much as I hope I achieve my dreams. Thats how much respect I have for the man...

Exactly! Same here...I'm like ''Okay, great game by Koivu, as usual. A real leader, he gives the example, he gives his 110%.''

Nothing special, an awesome game for Saku. :D

Well, Koivu is a great guy. After surviving cancer, I've really gained a lot of respect for him, and I'm extremely happy for him seeing that he's playing great games.

Guest habs_fan1160

A lot of respect is given for this guy, but he earned it and it's well deserved.

I hope he retires with us. He'd look weird in an Av's Jersey :D

A lot of respect is given for this guy, but he earned it and it's well deserved.

I hope he retires with us. He'd look weird in an Av's Jersey :D

I wouldn't see Koivu wearing another Jersey. Especially not an avs jersey. That would be ridiculous. First Roy, then Brisebois, then Théo... but not Koivu!

Archived