The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Sergei Samsonov

Guest JL

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This guy is a creative, fast, and offensive player. I was excited when I heard we got this guy. I expect big things from him on the left of Ribs and Kovy.
I wasn't that exited, but getting him was better than doing nothing... I guess... how do you think he stacks up against the younger russians, Perezoghin, Kostitsyn, Grabovski?

bw6

Guest - Tonio -

My expectations were pretty high when I heard that we signed him. I just hope him and Kovalev gel and put tons of points on the boards. So far hes been nowhere to be seen but yes I know "Its PRESEASON" so we'll see how it goes...

Guest Miltie01

I said before..I don't like this signing.....More of what we already had.

I really hope I am wrong, and will just trust in Bob.

Please Sammy, make an idiot out of me !!!!!

I said before..I don't like this signing.....More of what we already had.

I really hope I am wrong, and will just trust in Bob.

Please Sammy, make an idiot out of me !!!!!

i agree with you 100% Miltie01.

please Sammy make idiot out of me too!!!!!!!

I think he'll be fine. Gainey even said he might take a while to settle in. The thing is, we have him for 2 seasons(unless we re-sign him) and if he doesn't get it going this season, there's always next season when he'll have 1 year of Hab experience under his belt

I think Sammy will be great here, actually. I think the bigger question is who is going to centre 'that' line (that is, if Kovalev and Sammy are going to infact stay 2/3 of a line)...i mean it looks like it will be ribs to start...but is that a good match? Im not sure. I think someone more defensively sound (bonk/pleks) and/or more solid (johnson?) might be a better match. You never know though, and its going to take months to get the line-tinkering worked out imo.

Having watched a lot of bruins games over the years, I am almost as pleased to have sammy as I would be to have thornton* - i think he is going to excell on this team.

(* The thornton comment. No, im not saying sammy is as talented or dominant a player, but 1) i dont like thornton's attitude. Never have. 2) thornton's contract is soooooooo huge that it would mean Joe thornton OR samsanov AND kovalev. Etc. Id rather have 2 stars in this cap-crazy league than one superstar I believe. Superstars (i.e. those that command cap-max salaries = no depth on the roster). IMO.)

Guest Musketball

(* The thornton comment. No, im not saying sammy is as talented or dominant a player, but 1) i dont like thornton's attitude. Never have.  2) thornton's contract is soooooooo huge that it would mean Joe thornton OR samsanov AND kovalev. Etc.  Id rather have 2 stars in this cap-crazy league than one superstar I believe. Superstars (i.e. those that command cap-max salaries = no depth on the roster). IMO.)

Thornton and Samsonov were the ones I feared most when the bruins were in town.

Guest StratfordStreak

Samsonov's signing didn't exactly have me jumping up and down either, his play seems to have decreased year by year.

Hopefully he's getting some team mates he can gel with here though and have a big year.

I think Sammy will be great here, actually.  I think the bigger question is who is going to centre 'that' line (that is, if Kovalev and Sammy are going to infact stay 2/3 of a line)...i mean it looks like it will be ribs to start...but is that a good match? Im not sure. I think someone more defensively sound (bonk/pleks) and/or more solid (johnson?) might be a better match. You never know though, and its going to take months to get the line-tinkering worked out imo.

I believe Kovy and Sammy can be be good if they had a hardnosed centerman like... let's say Rod Brind'Amour... someone they know would be there if the going gets tough... who that could be on the Habs is a good question... I'm sure Garth Murray would never get that chance (maybe Mark Messier could come out of retirement!)

bw6

Samsonov's signing didn't exactly have me jumping up and down either, his play seems to have decreased year by year.

Hopefully he's getting some team mates he can gel with here though and have a big year.

Glen Murray always seemed to be a Hab killer though :?

Anyways, it'll be interesting to see what Carbonneau decides to do with the lines. With Latendresse added to the mix, and considering how well he's played with both Bonk and Ribeiro, there's always the option to place him on the wing with one of those.

Samsonov will likely start with Ribeiro and Kovalev, and see how that works, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see him with someone a bit bigger/more defensive up the middle (Johnson, Bonk, etc). It would give more balance to the line; as it stands, there's three guys who like to be pretty fancy with the puck, and sometimes they just need a straight, down-to-earth, defensive forward on their line to grind things out a bit and give them space.

My biggest fear is watching Samsonov-Ribeiro-Kovalev go up against the top checking line and be pushed around; not due to their softness, or size, or anything like that, but moreso by their style of play. They play a very finesse game; yes, I don't doubt that they have the ability to be physical, and they definitely show it at times, but that is not the primary offensive style of that line, so teams might catch on quick and use a very tight, collapsing sort of defensive scheme to shut them down.

I haven't even had a chance to watch one single game so far this pre-season and of course, if I only base my judgement on his points production, I could make myself a bad impression of Samsonov... but that certainly wouldn't be fair considering it's pre-season and it's only been a few games he's been with us.

Now that the team is set, Carbo will be able to concentrate on his lines at practice and the Kovalev, Samsonov and Ribeirov will have a chance to practice together with 23 players at camp, not 38! Let's give the guy a chance to addapt to a new city, new teammates and as Kovalev mentioned in an interview, let him get his legs back as he was still playing well into June! :D

I haven't even had a chance to watch one single game so far this pre-season and of course, if I only base my judgement on his points production, I could make myself a bad impression of Samsonov... but that certainly wouldn't be fair considering it's pre-season and it's only been a few games he's been with us.

Now that the team is set, Carbo will be able to concentrate on his lines at practice and the Kovalev, Samsonov and Ribeirov will have a chance to practice together with 23 players at camp, not 38! Let's give the guy a chance to addapt to a new city, new teammates and as Kovalev mentioned in an interview, let him get his legs back as he was still playing well into June! :D

It's almost October... how long does it take for a pro hockey player to get his legs back? Sammy definitely deserves a shot, but I have to admit... I have my doubts about him playing with Ribs and Kovy (Koivu-Kovy maybe)... hope my gut feeling is wrong on this one cause I wouldn't want to break up Higgins-Koivu-Ryder.

bw6

Guest BeginTheMan
Yeah I am the 3rd to agree with you so, Make an Idiot out of me, i will promise to say SORRY and a kiss.

I am the 4th to agree so, make an idiot out of me too.

Guest Miltie01

I think the problem with the second line is between Sammy, Ribs and Kovy there are three dynamic playmakers but no one who really likes to shoot the puck. All three can really dangle but they have to pick one of them to be the go to guy. I pick Kovy

It's almost October... how long does it take for a pro hockey player to get his legs back? Sammy definitely deserves a shot, but I have to admit... I have my doubts about him playing with Ribs and Kovy (Koivu-Kovy maybe)... hope my gut feeling is wrong on this one cause I wouldn't want to break up Higgins-Koivu-Ryder.

bw6

The legs will be back soon enough, I'm not concerned as his speed is his biggest asset. The chemistry and addapting to the new surrounding is what takes a little longer. This is why I'm whilling to give him a couple of months... I know, been there, done that. :D

Guest Tony Montana

If the SmK line dosent work out for sammy to good i just think its a good idea for him to work with koivu and ryder. Koivu is his exact style of play and i think they kno how to get puck to eachother e-z and can always set up ryder.

Guest f30marco
ill be very patient with Sammy, i know he can certainly be a dominante presence out there, but the fact in all this is Samsonov is an Upgrade over Zednik, regarldess his pre-season stats, he can do much more for the team than the player he replaced.

i agree, samy is not a player that you base your judgement on how good he is by how well he did in the pre-season. He might need alot of time to get used to the team and the surrondings, but when he does he will be a top force for the team. Hopefully it wont take to long, and i really could see him playing with koivu too. They seem like a good match to plat together,even more than him and kovy.

Samsonov was instrumental to last season's Oilers 'last ditch' effort to make the playoffs.

He played 19 regular season games only, before the playoffs started.

In those 19 games he scored 5 times and assisted 11 times for 16 points....

Not necessarily a bad way to join a team.

Could you imagine if this city had seen production like that and the end of the stretch from a newbie??

But then the playoffs started and in a total of 24 games, he found the net 4 times and assisted 11 times again for another 15 points(+2)

Not too shabby, but not the production management in EDM was hoping for I'm sure.

Now, I realize that many things come into play when when a new guy comes to a new city.

Were not just talking any city either....

Chemistry, coaching, training, blah, blah, blah....

Just keep in mind that in Sams entire carreer, he only played a full season twice.

1997-1998 / 81 games for 47 points.(+9)

2000-2001 / 82 games for 75 points.(+6)-His best ever.

So as much as it's generating alot of positive feelings in this city, Sams coming here is leaving, rightfully so, some of us slightly concerned....

If his career trend continues, we may be seeing a little more line shuffling than we hope to....

But hey, for all it's worth, GOOD LUCK SAMY!!!!

May nothing but positive things come to you!!!!

Archived