The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

21 Christopher Higgins 06-07

jl-1

he scored a garbage goal last night and hogged the puck. IMO he wasnt playing very good. and for that gretzky thing, he is no match for crosby or ovechkin who arent even as good as gretzky, so ther is no way he is the next gretzky. maybe the next koivu, at the most, but not gretzky.

I don't understand. That goal proved to be the game-winner, and putting in rebounds is part of hockey. We NEED more players who are willing to pay the price in front of the net and slam home rebounds instead of always looking for the perfect pretty play. And hogging the puck? He was playing the puck very well along the boards and opening up space for his linemates, who were dangerous all night. Why be negative and call it 'hogging'?

Guest Just Jen

According to the Gazette, Higgins' father has always bled "bleu-blanc et rouge". I can't post the article because it's locked on the Gazette website but the headline is ""To say his father is a big Habs fan would be an understatement ... and love affair started long before Chris was even born" and apparently his father was incredibly worried that he'd have to stop rooting for the Canadiens if Higgins was drafted to any other team.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid=28010...ge&service=page

Growing up on Long Island, most young players, like Calgary's Eric Nystrom or Komisarek, grew up a fan of the New York Islanders while they were in the midst of their dynasty. Higgins rooted for another team.

"The Canadiens actually," said Higgins.

Higgins favorite player was none other than Habs' captain Saku Koivu, so he is really living out his dream

http://hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=7281

HF: When you were a young fan growing up, who was your hockey idol?

CH: I was a big Habs fan as a kid but the only big name on the team back then when they won the Cup was Patrick Roy. He was my favorite player even though he was a goalie and I’m a forward.

HF: Any other Habs from the past that you really liked?

CH: Kirk Muller, I liked watching him because he was a great leader and a great two-way player who scored big goals in the playoffs in ’93.

HF: You were born in New York and went to school in New England. As a Habs fan you must have felt like you were behind enemy lines.

CH: Definitely, yeah! My dad was a die-hard Canadiens fan so he got me into them but it’s Islanders and Rangers territory where I grew up so it was a little tough.

he scored a garbage goal last night and hogged the puck. IMO he wasnt playing very good. and for that gretzky thing, he is no match for crosby or ovechkin who arent even as good as gretzky, so ther is no way he is the next gretzky. maybe the next koivu, at the most, but not gretzky.
I don't understand. That goal proved to be the game-winner, and putting in rebounds is part of hockey. We NEED more players who are willing to pay the price in front of the net and slam home rebounds instead of always looking for the perfect pretty play. And hogging the puck? He was playing the puck very well along the boards and opening up space for his linemates, who were dangerous all night. Why be negative and call it 'hogging'?

I completely agree, Higgins plays the puck well, I don't think I have ever seen him "hog" it. People are so quick to hate on people who are doing well. Maybe he wont't be a Gretzky but he is damn talented.

I completely agree, Higgins plays the puck well, I don't think I have ever seen him "hog" it. People are so quick to hate on people who are doing well. Maybe he wont't be a Gretzky but he is damn talented.

People may be quick to hate on people who are doing well, as Higgins is right now (and as I hope it does for a long time), but they are quicker to hate people who are not doing well. Higgins will hit a slump, and when he does, the fans will be calling for his throat. Such is the life of a Habs player, from what I can see.

sigh - go root for another team.

Guest lfrommtl

Hi all my first post(hopefully of many)

I think Higgins played well last night say whatever you want he got the job done and scored the winner garbage goal or not they all look the same on paper

I cant say Ryder will be with the habs forever, but i can safely say Higgins is a hab for life

and, your issue with Ryder is? Ryder is an integral part of that line, and that is of benefit to Higgins. Who was getting in the clear as a result of Ryder's 17 hits so far, for instance?

I think Higgins is great. However, that line is more than the sum of its parts - Higgins on a line with Koivu and Kovalev, for example, might be a whole different chemistry - I don't think that it would work as well for Higgins, in any event.

and, your issue with Ryder is?  Ryder is an integral part of that line, and that is of benefit to Higgins.  Who was getting in the clear as a result of Ryder's 17 hits so far, for instance?

I think Higgins is great.  However, that line is more than the sum of its parts - Higgins on a line with Koivu and Kovalev, for example, might be a whole different chemistry - I don't think that it would work as well for Higgins, in any event.

No issue with Ryder, calm down, i said Ryder aint the type of guy who will be in the habs franchise for very long

2 years, 2 "contract disputes" or possible contract dispute, 2 straight years of 1 year contracts, when he becomes UFA< dont say i didnt tell you so, as much as id love to keep him, hes gonna want 3 mill next year and higgins will command 2.5

were at 42 of 44 mill, and i beleive the cap is going down, so figure out that one buddy, especialy with Souray and Markov gonna command each about 4-5 mill, if kaberle and mccabe are getting that kind of money, why wont markov and souray ask for it, lemme guess, "cuz they play for the habs and will accept anything the habs offer"? dont work like that amigos

No issue with Ryder, calm down, i said Ryder aint the type of guy who will be in the habs franchise for very long

2 years, 2 "contract disputes" or possible contract dispute, 2 straight years of 1 year contracts, when he becomes UFA< dont say i didnt tell you so, as much as id love to keep him, hes gonna want 3 mill next year and higgins will command 2.5

were at 42 of 44 mill, and i beleive the cap is going down, so figure out that one buddy, especialy with Souray and Markov gonna command each about 4-5 mill, if kaberle and mccabe are getting that kind of money, why wont markov and souray ask for it, lemme guess, "cuz they play for the habs and will accept anything the habs offer"? dont work like that amigos

Sorry, what are you saying? Ryder will not want to stay with the Habs or the Habs will be unable to keep Ryder because they will want to keep say Souray? If Higgins keeps it up, and there is no reason to expect that he won't, I agree he deserves the money. However, Higgins, Koivu and Ryder work well together - Koivu has been quoted as saying that he has the best chemistry with these guys that he has in years, and to dump Ryder, who has been the top scorer (and may well be again this year, I think), may be a mistake - to the extent that the line clicks, to disturb part of the line will negatively affect everyone, don't you think? Can Higgins be as productive with Kovalev on the other wing - I really doubt it. Of course, everything might change by the time Ryder becomes a UFA....

As for the salary disputes, you got to agree - anyone would dispute salary when Ribeiro was getting more than you were offered?

Well one thing is for sure, this offseason is gonna be very interesting. Players like Higgy and Ryder will demand more money bc they are on pace for another good season. Im guessing Ryder will want about 3-3.5 million and Higgy around 2-2.5 million. Then u have vets like Souray, Markov and Rivet who will demand anywhere from 3-5 million. There is only so much to go around...

But say BG and the boys know right now that they wont be able to sign say Souray and Ryder, then there is no way they are just gonna let them walk and get nothing in return, so he might have to pull the trigger this season...The problem with doing that is if we are in the playoff race u cant take prospects in return...And another problem is u cant just let them walk and get nothing in return...So what do u do?

I do think this is a serious problem this season and in the off-season!!

Guest SuperHabsFan

Higgins is really playing well, last night he was controlling the puck and I taught he was kovalev, he got skill and he can score thats good for us. Who thinks he's going to beat his last year total points? I am sure of it.

Sorry, what are you saying?  Ryder will not want to stay with the Habs or the Habs will be unable to keep Ryder because they will want to keep say Souray?  If Higgins keeps it up, and there is no reason to expect that he won't, I agree he deserves the money.  However, Higgins, Koivu and Ryder work well together - Koivu has been quoted as saying that he has the best chemistry with these guys that he has in years, and to dump Ryder, who has been the top scorer (and may well be again this year, I think), may be a mistake - to the extent that the line clicks, to disturb part of the line will negatively affect everyone, don't you think?  Can Higgins be as productive with Kovalev on the other wing - I really doubt it.  Of course, everything might change by the time Ryder becomes a UFA....

As for the salary disputes, you got to agree - anyone would dispute salary when Ribeiro was getting more than you were offered?

lol i know all this

but u just dont get it

you cant keep ryder, souray and markov all together next year

ryder wil want alot, and gainey will probably give it to him, in fact maybe a 3 year deal, im not saying i dont want ryder, im saying Sourays not gonna be on this team next year

everyone knows the higgins- koivu - ryder line is doing good, and most of us, including me predicted this even at the end of last year, when koivu went down with that injury we lose 4 straight, imagin what that 1st line is doing now, if they were able to do this in the playoffs without koivus injury, we beat carolina, and who knows what else would of happened

i dont want Ryder gone, im saying ryders gonna command alot in a possible scenario that we dont HAVE alot, so kiss alot of people goodbye next year

to keep this higgins related

i belaive higgins is gonna sign a 4 year , 2.5 mill a year average deal

lol i know all this

but u just dont get it

you cant keep ryder, souray and markov all together next year

ryder wil want alot, and gainey will probably give it to him, in fact maybe a 3 year deal, im not saying i dont want ryder, im saying Sourays not gonna be on this team next year

everyone knows the higgins- koivu - ryder line is doing good, and most of us, including me predicted this even at the end of last year, when koivu went down with that injury we lose 4 straight, imagin what that 1st line is doing now, if they were able to do this in the playoffs without koivus injury, we beat carolina, and who knows what else would of happened

i dont want Ryder gone, im saying ryders gonna command alot in a possible scenario that we dont HAVE alot, so kiss alot of people goodbye next year

to keep this higgins related

i belaive higgins is gonna sign a 4 year , 2.5 mill a year average deal

I would be surprised if next year brings about a 4 year, 2.5 million dollar a year contract. From management's point of view, they do not seem inclined to enter those long term contracts. From Higgins' point of view, if in fact he is as good as everyone believes, he is tying himself in for a long period for less money than he could command elsewhere.

As for not getting it, perhaps you could explain it a bit better. Tell me again why Ryder is not going to be in this franchise for the long term but Higgins is.

Higgins and Ryder are both RFA's next year. That will limit the negotiating room. Radek Bonk is an UFA - he is not likely to be signed for the amount he got this year and last. It is only Markov and Souray that we need worry about, and I figure Souray is going to think he is worth significantly more than he is. So, Souray is gone, Higgins and Ryder are signed and we are off.

There will be money to ensure that Higgins is paid fairly (why is Higgins getting paid nothing and Samsonov a King's Ransom?) as will Ryder, if that is the direction that the team is going. Koivu is signed to the end of the 2008-2009 season, so there is that line.

Guest Lafleurs Guy
I would be surprised if next year brings about a 4 year, 2.5 million dollar a year contract.  From management's point of view, they do not seem inclined to enter those long term contracts.  From Higgins' point of view, if in fact he is as good as everyone believes, he is tying himself in for a long period for less money than he could command elsewhere.  

As for not getting it, perhaps you could explain it a bit better.  Tell me again why Ryder is not going to be in this franchise for the long term but Higgins is.  

Higgins and Ryder are both RFA's next year.  That will limit the negotiating room.  Radek Bonk is an UFA - he is not likely to be signed for the amount he got this year and last.  It is only Markov and Souray that we need worry about, and I figure Souray is going to think he is worth significantly more than he is.  So, Souray is gone, Higgins and Ryder are signed and we are off.

There will be money to ensure that Higgins is paid fairly (why is Higgins getting paid nothing and Samsonov a King's Ransom?) as will Ryder, if that is the direction that the team is going.  Koivu is signed to the end of the 2008-2009 season, so there is that line.

I don't think Bonk will be re-signed. I think they'll bring in Chipchura nxt season at a much lower cost.

Guest KOIVU#11

Yeah I certainly hope that Higgins comes back next year and not just becuase hes a good player its becuase I just love the guy. Did any of you watch the video on canadiens.com where he goes back to his home town and visits his family? it's worth it to take a look, he seems like a great guy and a great player, sort of like Saku, but not quite as extraordinary.

Archived