The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

25 Mathieu Dandenault 06-07

jl-1

Guest CanadianMike
Last night was the FIRST time that I thought Dandy didn't play the greatest...he didn't seem to have the energy, speed or enthusiasm...am I the only one that noticed this??

Usually I am very impressed with him and have not uttered one negative post!

No you are not alone. Driving home from the game there was a caller "gino" that said the habs all played great except for Dandy. I guess it is so rare for this guy to get any attention because he usually does his job quietly and well.

I really like this guy.

No you are not alone. Driving home from the game there was a caller "gino" that said the habs all played great except for Dandy.  I guess it is so rare for this guy to get any attention because he usually does his job quietly and well.

I really like this guy.

I really do too and he has played forward and defense for us and good at both also!

I just found it odd for him, that's all....

Last night was the FIRST time that I thought Dandy didn't play the greatest...he didn't seem to have the energy, speed or enthusiasm...am I the only one that noticed this??

Usually I am very impressed with him and have not uttered one negative post!

Sorry guys, but Dandy has been horrible ever since returning from his ankle injury, he's nowhere near dominant, he loses battles constantly, and can't really pass.

Dandy is one of our problems, hate to say it, but he has to go. We need solid Dmen to fill out our #2,3,4 roles, and Dandy isn't it.

Guest CanadianMike
Sorry guys, but Dandy has been horrible ever since returning from his ankle injury, he's nowhere near dominant, he loses battles constantly, and can't really pass.

Dandy is one of our problems, hate to say it, but he has to go. We need solid Dmen to fill out our #2,3,4 roles, and Dandy isn't it.

sorry I disagree...dandy is far from being our problem on D, but try #52...Thanks ;)

I'm with Mike on this one... Dandenault was leading all our defenders in the plus/minus category while having the fewest points a few games ago (has since changed--he took a bit of a dip).

We can all talk about how useless the stat is, but when you're not scoring points, it's not something to be overlooked.

To me, Dandenault is one of the few that is constantly skating, battling in the corners and not keeping his feet anchored at the point. Ever notice how if there's even a brutal offensive turnover, he's always the first one back, never backing down from blocking the shot?

From a simple defensive standpoint, I personally say he's been among our top 3 defensemen, along with Markov and Komisarek. :two:

Third among our d-men in hits-per-game, first among our d-men in blocked-shots-per-game, the fewest giveaways-per-game among d-men... Definitley likeable stats from my perspective!

http://www.nhl.com/nhlstats/app?fetchKey=2...rtssPlayerStats

Guest panther
I'm with Mike on this one... Dandenault was leading all our defenders in the plus/minus category while having the fewest points a few games ago (has since changed--he took a bit of a dip).

We can all talk about how useless the stat is, but when you're not scoring points, it's not something to be overlooked.

To me, Dandenault is one of the few that is constantly skating, battling in the corners and not keeping his feet anchored at the point. Ever notice how if there's even a brutal offensive turnover, he's always the first one back, never backing down from blocking the shot?

From a simple defensive standpoint, I personally say he's been among our top 3 defensemen, along with Markov and Komisarek. :two:

Third among our d-men in hits-per-game, first among our d-men in blocked-shots-per-game, the fewest giveaways-per-game among d-men... Definitley likeable stats from my perspective!

http://www.nhl.com/nhlstats/app?fetchKey=2...rtssPlayerStats

I couldn't agree more. This guy is really playing well this year and is often our best player on the ice.

Guest StratfordStreak

I agree. I think he has been really really bad since his injury.

I know last year he started off bad and then had a great 2nd half, so hopefully he is gearing up for the last part of the season starting today.

I personally think Rivet had been playing quite a bit better than Dandenault.

Guest f30marco

i like dandy and he is actually one of our more solid dmen but is he really worth the money? 1.7 for a guy that doesnt do that much? well i said that wrong he does alot for the team but could we have somebody else do the same for less.....i think so!

Guest lafleuristhebest
1.7 isnt that much at all?

Considering he shouldn't be making a penny more than $700,000 I'd say it is too much. He can skate, but his offence is non existent and his defensive game leaves a lot to be desired. I truly believe that his best years have passed him by. The Habs way overpaid for this guy.

Tough crowd! In spite of having played only 56 games due to injuries, Dandenault is:

• 8th on the team in hits, 4th amongst defensemen
  • 4th on the team in blocked shots

He's one of our fastest skaters and he's used on our second PK unit. :resp:

Tough crowd! In spite of having played only 56 games due to injuries, Dandenault is:

• 8th on the team in hits, 4th amongst defensemen
  • 4th on the team in blocked shots

He's one of our fastest skaters and he's used on our second PK unit. :resp:

i agree.his best years are behind him,but he's worth the price as a#5/6 d-man

I may be a little biased but I have always been a Dandenault Fan. I think he does a good job and assumes any role asked of him. That could be a reason that he doesn't score as much because when you change roles and positions you must adjust. Anyway My Grand Father was born in the same town before he moved to the states and we formerly spelled our name the same way. My grand father chan ged the spelling to Dandeneau but it is pronounced the same and I love hearing it associated with the NHL.

Guest St. B. Voyageur
Considering he shouldn't be making a penny more than $700,000 I'd say it is too much.  He can skate, but his offence is non existent and his defensive game leaves a lot to be desired.  I truly believe that his best years have passed him by.  The Habs way overpaid for this guy.

I couldn't agree with you less. He's struggled a little bit this year, but so has every other D-man other than Markov and Komisarek. Gainey brought him in for the experience. He's a calm competitor, who can dominate defensively with his speed and his heart. I thought he was our best D-man against Carolina in the playoffs last. And that's just it, he knows what it takes to win, that is invaluable to this team, and definitely worth $1.7 million in the new market.

Guest cup crazy88

How many times did he give up the puck or get caught out of position tonight?.. horrible game, I think he got benched near the end as well (saw souray out with bouillon...) He really wasn't on his "A" game..

Him and Niinimaa really stood out to me tonight as having terrible games...

Both need to be better or Streit will be making his way back to the backend soon, or maybe even Gorges getting in the lineup.

Guest KORDIC3131

A horrible game last night.Carbs has to bite the bullet and sit him over Gorges.

On the first goal he was standing behind the net watching the play as 3 Bruins were in front.The puck had already been centred for a good 5 seconds so I don't know what he was doing.On the 2nd goal, even though it was a bad giveaway, he is the last man back and you can't leave the zone before the puck is cleared especially when there is a Bruin behind you.The third costly mistake was in the third when he had a brutal giveaway giving Sturm a breakaway.If Sturm had scored it would have been 4 to 2 and the game might have been over.We can't afford these mental errors right now.I like the guy,don't get me wrong, but his play of late has left a lot to be desired and I think Gorges has proven he is a little steadier in his own end.

• 2 months later...
Guest habs_fan1160

Anyone think Dandy will be back on the blue line this year?

He had a pretty rough season last year. He's never been outstanding but he's been good.

I like him and I'd like to see him stay here, but if we can get someone better I wouldn't be apposed to seing him leave.

Guest habinto
Anyone think Dandy will be back on the blue line this year?

He had a pretty rough season last year. He's never been outstanding but he's been good.

I like him and I'd like to see him stay here, but if we can get someone better I wouldn't be apposed to seing him leave.

That is exactly my read on this guy!!

Guest St. B. Voyageur

He's definitely on the bubble this year. Ryan O'Byrne may push him out.

I still think he's a good hockey player. I think that Carbo threw him off his game a little by playing him as a forward, and he never seemed comfortable anywhere last year. But if you recall the Super Bowl game, it was he and Bouillon who were given the responsibility of shutting down Crosby's line, which they did a good job of. I hope he rebounds from last year, and plays more like he did against Carolina in the 2006 playoffs. He's a quiet leader and was a good replacement for Patrice Brisebois...

He got better near the end, and i notice it was as soon as Rivet got shipped off, Dandy seems to play better when he plays more, its those 15 minute games that he struggles with, give him 18 minutes and he looks alot better. His biggest problem is his decision making, he takes the wrong man sometimes that opens up some room, but all in all, he does not cost us games, and his speed is quite useful for any odd man rush we give up.

His offence is non existant because he doesn't get PP time, the place where D-men get most of their points. We have to understand, Dandy is a 4th - 5th D-man, always has been, we can't expect him to play like a #1. I for one don't think he was that bad, he didn't stick out like a sore thumb on many occasions, and sure he didn't play his best and there is room for improvement next season, but i'm not about to dump the defensive struggles of the team on him.

Archived