The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

25 Mathieu Dandenault 06-07

jl-1

Guest Greek Hab

Didn't Mathieu play as a forward before changing to defence? I'm sure this season I saw him in a few games playing on wing when there was injuries in the lineup.

Methieu is a older version of Mark Streit...great to have on the team(both of them).

Anyone think Dandy will be back on the blue line this year?

He had a pretty rough season last year. He's never been outstanding but he's been good.

I like him and I'd like to see him stay here, but if we can get someone better I wouldn't be apposed to seing him leave.

One thing is clear to me: we need to move out some of these third pairing dmen. Dandenault is fine on the third pairing, but it's when we count on more than that, much like Rivet, we start getting disappointed. I have no problem playing him, but if we could move him, I'd probably consider it. There's a couple of guys in Hamilton who could do a similar job for much cheaper. But the key there all lies in if we can fill up that second pairing. If we had a rock solid top four, the bottom two wouldn't matter too much, and I could live with Streit and Cote or something along those lines as our third pairing.

He's a quiet leader and was a good replacement for Patrice Brisebois...

I know I'm setting myself up for some jabs here: but I don't think we ever truly replaced Brisebois. As frustrating as he was, he was still one of our better defenseman. I'd take him back here in a second, as long as we don't make the same mistake as last time treating him like a #1 dman, but he could be a great #3 or 4 guy. Pair him with a guy like Hannan and I think he'd do well.

Guest P.Royfan
One thing is clear to me: we need to move out some of these third pairing dmen. Dandenault is fine on the third pairing, but it's when we count on more than that, much like Rivet, we start getting disappointed. I have no problem playing him, but if we could move him, I'd probably consider it. There's a couple of guys in Hamilton who could do a similar job for much cheaper. But the key there all lies in if we can fill up that second pairing. If we had a rock solid top four, the bottom two wouldn't matter too much, and I could live with Streit and Cote or something along those lines as our third pairing.

I know I'm setting myself up for some jabs here: but I don't think we ever truly replaced Brisebois. As frustrating as he was, he was still one of our better defenseman. I'd take him back here in a second, as long as we don't make the same mistake as last time treating him like a #1 dman, but he could be a great #3 or 4 guy. Pair him with a guy like Hannan and I think he'd do well.

Breeze by is not a 3-4 dman he is a 5 6th dman and we already have Dandenault, Boulion, Souray Streit as the 5-6 dman. Well Maybe not Souray for much longer.

Breeze by is not a 3-4 dman he is a 5 6th dman and we already have Dandenault, Boulion, Souray Streit as the 5-6 dman. Well Maybe not Souray for much longer.

Offensively I wouldn't mind him on the second pairing. Defense has always been his weakness, but if we could get a solid defensive guy in there I think it might work out okay. Brisebois is a good puck mover and passer, something we don't have a lot of other than Markov and maybe Streit.

Guest P.Royfan
Offensively I wouldn't mind him on the second pairing. Defense has always been his weakness, but if we could get a solid defensive guy in there I think it might work out okay. Brisebois is a good puck mover and passer, something we don't have a lot of other than Markov and maybe Streit.

What? Brrisbois was a horrible passer. Well his passes were tape to tape.......to the other teams stick.

What? Brrisbois was a horrible passer. Well his passes were tape to tape.......to the other teams stick.

Well he did make bizarre mistakes, but I remember him as a pretty good passer, maybe I'm remember wrong

Edit: I just checked TSN, even their report on him has passing as the first skill they list. I know he won't come back here, but if we can't get a guy like Brad Stuart this offseason, I'd honestly consider taking Patrice back if we could unload Bouillion.

• 1 month later...

My God, no more talk of Breezer coming back - PLEASE! Why should we go backwards?

Don't you people remember him skating meekly off the ice as Zedder lie convulsing on the ice after the Mclaren hit? Legal hit or not, I'd want my friend or teamate coming to my defence. A facewash at least was warranted, lol.

Guest 1970 Habs

Brisbois or "Breeze by" as my son use to say. Opposition players that is.

Dandenault is capable of playing better. He did well in Detroit and won Stanley Cups there.

If he could be paired with the right partner I think his game would be better.

Guest diehardhabfan
Brisbois or "Breeze by" as my son use to say. Opposition players that is.

Dandenault is capable of playing better. He did well in Detroit and won Stanley Cups there.

If he could be paired with the right partner I think his game would be better.

haha...my uncle calls him "broken wood"

Guest Larry_Robinson_19

I hope Dandenault will have a great start because frakly, I can see the Canadiens trading either him or Bouillon (maybe both) this season to give some room for a young prospect.

Markov

Komisarek

Streit

Hamrlik

Cote

O'Byrne / Bouillon / Dandenault

Guest Larry_Robinson_19

Patrice Brisebois is done. He's not coming back, so people should stop entertaining the idea of a come back with the Habs. Did the Avalanche make the playoffs with Breezer and Theo... NO! The Avs have the same two players that didn't help our team before. Let's face it, they were definitely overrated. I'd choose Dandenault way before Breezeby.

And, I think we'll make the playoffs now because we'll have better goalies this season with the departure of Aebischer for Phoenix.

• 1 month later...
Guest s.k 11
Patrice Brisebois is done. He's not coming back, so people should stop entertaining the idea of a come back with the Habs. Did the Avalanche make the playoffs with Breezer and Theo... NO! The Avs have the same two players that didn't help our team before. Let's face it, they were definitely overrated. I'd choose Dandenault way before Breezeby.

And, I think we'll make the playoffs now because we'll have better goalies this season with the departure of Aebischer for Phoenix.

I thought he wasn't coming back. :D

Does anyone know why Dandy is still on the team?

Ouch

I think if you take Dandy away from Bouillon he might now look as bad. Although perhaps it was Dandy making Bouillon look bad? Just an awful pairing. He was good in the playoffs against Carolina though.

The problem I have with him is his contract....Our bottom pairing defenders make way too much.

Guest Maniaque
The problem I have with him is his contract....Our bottom pairing defenders make way too much.

True to an extent, though we have to remember that the cap has risen, and that 1.x million contracts are pretty low these days. However both of them have a lot to prove this coming season. Dandenault especially needs to offer something to us other than speed. His experience has never showed on the ice, and I'm still looking for the offense-oriented defenseman we hired in replacement of Brisebois.

On the plus side, he's pretty fast. Not to join the bashing here, but I expect more. Perhaps he will show us why we asked his services.

Guest habs_fan1160
Ouch

I think if you take Dandy away from Bouillon he might now look as bad. Although perhaps it was Dandy making Bouillon look bad? Just an awful pairing. He was good in the playoffs against Carolina though.

Lol, it wasn't meant to be a direct insult at Dandy and his lack of play. It was more a comment as to why he's still here when he doesn't seem to fit in anywhere. We have a lot of D-men, some of them are younger. I just don't see why we're paying a guy who hasn't really had a good season with us (minus the great playoffs vs Carolina), and paying a guy to sit on the bench.

I've always seen Dandy as "dead weight" on the team before the youth came, and now that the youth is making their move up he's looking a lot like drift wood.

I don't have anything personally against Dandy, he's just eating up some cap space for a guy that doesn't seem to fit into the team anymore.

Lol, it wasn't meant to be a direct insult at Dandy and his lack of play. It was more a comment as to why he's still here when he doesn't seem to fit in anywhere. We have a lot of D-men, some of them are younger. I just don't see why we're paying a guy who hasn't really had a good season with us (minus the great playoffs vs Carolina), and paying a guy to sit on the bench.

I've always seen Dandy as "dead weight" on the team before the youth came, and now that the youth is making their move up he's looking a lot like drift wood.

I don't have anything personally against Dandy, he's just eating up some cap space for a guy that doesn't seem to fit into the team anymore.

Danadenault (like 3-quarters of the team) had a rough season last year but I still think we should keep him around and see if he can redeem himself. This is a guy when he's on his game can contribute a solid 20 points from the blue line. He also has 3 Stanley Cup rings worth of experience playing with the likes of Yzerman and for the likes of the great Scotty Bowman. He may come in very handy come play-off time.

Danadenault (like 3-quarters of the team) had a rough season last year but I still think we should keep him around and see if he can redeem himself. This is a guy when he's on his game can contribute a solid 20 points from the blue line. He also has 3 Stanley Cup rings worth of experience playing with the likes of Yzerman and for the likes of the great Scotty Bowman. He may come in very handy come play-off time.

dandy is an ok #6 d-man with versatility to play rw.I'd rather have him over breeze-by any day.And he's got the 3 rings,which is probably irrelevant this year

Guest RadioHab
dandy is an ok #6 d-man with versatility to play rw.I'd rather have him over breeze-by any day.And he's got the 3 rings,which is probably irrelevant this year

It might not be that irrelevant, young teams seem to improve by leaps and bounds. Take the Pens for example, last season they were not projected as a strong team but finished very strong. Of course we do not have Crosby or Malkin etc but we do have some solid young guys who could surprise and make the playoffs. When we do make the playoffs (have to stay positive here :) ) Dandy will be a great guy to have around to calm down the young guys and keep people focused and in the right frame of mind. There are not many players in the league who have 3 rings in todays NHL and I am sure the young players look up to him in that respect.

It might not be that irrelevant, young teams seem to improve by leaps and bounds. Take the Pens for example, last season they were not projected as a strong team but finished very strong. Of course we do not have Crosby or Malkin etc but we do have some solid young guys who could surprise and make the playoffs. When we do make the playoffs (have to stay positive here :) ) Dandy will be a great guy to have around to calm down the young guys and keep people focused and in the right frame of mind. There are not many players in the league who have 3 rings in todays NHL and I am sure the young players look up to him in that respect.

Even if you're using him in more of a utility role; a 6 or 7 d guy...Which would probably be more ideal for a guy like him; you've still got a guy with cup experience...I still like the idea of having him around, price tag and all because I think he can still contribute and be effective.

Archived