The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

25 Mathieu Dandenault 06-07

jl-1

Remember how well he played before he tore his hamstring? At least I think it was his hamstring.

Everyone was loving his physical and solid play. But now everyone has forgotten and think of him as a 6th or 7th. :(

I honestly believe this guy is taking way too much unwarranted flak.

it's the bonk syndrome all over. A player makes X amount of dollars and so the fans expect him to put up a certain number of points. If he had put up the same total of points he did in 05-06 most of us wouldn't even question what he brings to the table.

I wouldn't give up on Dandenault just yet but if I was him and Boulion I'd be looking over my shoulder to make sure the rookies aren;t sneaking by to take my job ;)

Well, before i get in on the bandwagon, i'm going to see what they can bring to the team while they are 100% healthy this season, not rehabing serious offseason surgery/injury.

Both players had very respectable 05-06 seasons, what was the difference? Health, both guys were 100% that year, last year they were not, simple as it gets.

Guest habs_fan1160
I honestly believe this guy is taking way too much unwarranted flak.

It's not so much flak from me as it is confusing. I still don't see how this guy fits into our roster.

Remember how well he played before he tore his hamstring? At least I think it was his hamstring.

Everyone was loving his physical and solid play. But now everyone has forgotten and think of him as a 6th or 7th. :(

Way too many fans have forgotten about the seriousness of this injury (and Bouillon's knee injury). Thank you.

Guest habfan in leafland

This thread is hilarious! I love the comments about there being no chance of Brisebois returning. :D

I think Dandy still has something to prove, he's still only 31. He's got GREAT speed! Now that he's had the summer to recouperate and build some strength with Scott, I think he will play a lot better this year. When your main attribute is speed, it hurts to have a thigh injury!

Guest scottyantaya

is this the Dandenault thread or the bash Bouillon thread?

I really like Bouillon, he busts his butt everygame. Plus, he is not afraid to get his hands dirty (Tucker knows this first hand).

Guest habs_fan1160
This thread is hilarious! I love the comments about there being no chance of Brisebois returning. :D

I think Dandy still has something to prove, he's still only 31. He's got GREAT speed! Now that he's had the summer to recouperate and build some strength with Scott, I think he will play a lot better this year. When your main attribute is speed, it hurts to have a thigh injury!

I'd have to agree, he still has something to prove and he is still young-ish.

To me it's more of an issue of where this guy fit's into the team, we have a lot of D-man who are looking for a spot on the team and a lot of younger ones who are great D-men.

My prediction for Dandy this year, is he's going to spend a lot of time not dressing for games.

Guest habinto
I'd have to agree, he still has something to prove and he is still young-ish.

To me it's more of an issue of where this guy fit's into the team, we have a lot of D-man who are looking for a spot on the team and a lot of younger ones who are great D-men.

My prediction for Dandy this year, is he's going to spend a lot of time not dressing for games.

Dandy will continue to play 6th D. We do not any prospects that can come up this year (unless there is a suprise - O'bryne!). Our is D is weak because of players like Dandy but we have nothing better so we play him.

Guest halifax_habs

I forgot about some big injuries. Let's hope he rounds back into form, I think our D is solid but if Dandy and Bouillion are back into form than I think we'll have a pretty respectable defense core.

Guest habs_fan1160
Dandy will continue to play 6th D. We do not any prospects that can come up this year (unless there is a suprise - O'bryne!). Our is D is weak because of players like Dandy but we have nothing better so we play him.

I just don't see him getting much ice time, last year he only played 68 games with us compared to the 82 the season before. Plus in our system we have Andrew Archer, Mathieu Biron, Bouillon, Breezer, Carle, Cote, Degon, Gorges, Hammer, Komi, Markov, O'Byrne, Rivers, Streit and Valentenko.

Not saying all those guys are going to play, if any of them (the younger ones), but if O'Bryne or Cote are out performing Dandy, I don't see what reasons Carbs would have to not use them if Dandy is having another questionable season.

To me it just seems unlikely that he'll play much and if we're not going to use them, then I don't understand the logic of paying for him.

Guest habinto
I just don't see him getting much ice time, last year he only played 68 games with us compared to the 82 the season before. Plus in our system we have Andrew Archer, Mathieu Biron, Bouillon, Breezer, Carle, Cote, Degon, Gorges, Hammer, Komi, Markov, O'Byrne, Rivers, Streit and Valentenko.

Not saying all those guys are going to play, if any of them (the younger ones), but if O'Bryne or Cote are out performing Dandy, I don't see what reasons Carbs would have to not use them if Dandy is having another questionable season.

To me it just seems unlikely that he'll play much and if we're not going to use them, then I don't understand the logic of paying for him.

I agree that if a prospect outplays Dandy than Dandy should sit. However I do not expect any prospect to outplay him. Maybe O'bryne or Gorges but that would be a suprise. Hey! I like suprises. As for Cote. I think he is an AHL player. Please Cote prove me wrong. We nee a few #4 #5 Dmen!!!

Guest habs_fan1160
I agree that if a prospect outplays Dandy than Dandy should sit. However I do not expect any prospect to outplay him. Maybe O'bryne or Gorges but that would be a suprise. Hey! I like suprises. As for Cote. I think he is an AHL player. Please Cote prove me wrong. We nee a few #4 #5 Dmen!!!

If last season was any indication for anything it wouldn't be overly hard to outplay Dandy. I'm not bashing him, but he's not very strong out there.

I really like Cote too, but I see him as an AHL'er too.

I guess the situation could go either way, I just never had any expectations of seeing my of Dandy this season.

Guest Liu Kang

How does this guy fit into our system?! He's one of, if not the, fastest defencemen in the league. So few "fans" and "hockey experts" in this city realize the value a guy like this brings to a team. He never gets beaten to a puck, and if he makes a mistake (which all defencemen do) he's one of the few than can get back to his own zone fast enough to make up for it.

This guy played his first game as a defencemen in the NHL, he never once played on the blue line growing up. He's a special player, just cause he doesn't get tons of points and isn't considered a top line defencemen shouldn't negate the things he brings to a team. He'll play 1000+ games easy in his career, I just hope the rest of them are in a Habs jersey.

He had some injuries last year, and now he's back at 100% and kicked some arse in the physical they just had to take. If he steps up his physical game this year, he'd be one of our better players.

31 years old, been playing since 95, and has tons of playoff experience. He's an important part of this team if we expect MTL to play well this season. Rookie defencemen always fall flat. As much as I like some of the kids in our system, they aren't ready...

Guest 1970 Habs
How does this guy fit into our system?! He's one of, if not the, fastest defencemen in the league. So few "fans" and "hockey experts" in this city realize the value a guy like this brings to a team. He never gets beaten to a puck, and if he makes a mistake (which all defencemen do) he's one of the few than can get back to his own zone fast enough to make up for it.

This guy played his first game as a defencemen in the NHL, he never once played on the blue line growing up. He's a special player, just cause he doesn't get tons of points and isn't considered a top line defencemen shouldn't negate the things he brings to a team. He'll play 1000+ games easy in his career, I just hope the rest of them are in a Habs jersey.

He had some injuries last year, and now he's back at 100% and kicked some arse in the physical they just had to take. If he steps up his physical game this year, he'd be one of our better players.

31 years old, been playing since 95, and has tons of playoff experience. He's an important part of this team if we expect MTL to play well this season. Rookie defencemen always fall flat. As much as I like some of the kids in our system, they aren't ready...

Nice post.

He is only 31 and I too feel he can still contribute if paired with the right defensive partner.

He had some good years in Detroit and won two Cups there.

That type of experience is invaluable.

Though I would like to add that I do think O'Byrne is ready to make the jump to the NHL starting on the third defensive pairing.

Guest RedLightRacicot
Nice post.

He is only 31 and I too feel he can still contribute if paired with the right defensive partner.

He had some good years in Detroit and won two Cups there.

That type of experience is invaluable.

Though I would like to add that I do think O'Byrne is ready to make the jump to the NHL starting on the third defensive pairing.

I'm just curious but does anyone know who he was paired with in Detrot?

we signed him to replace the loss of Brisebois at the time, now its the flip side as it seems Brisebois was brought back to replace Dandy.

I've always liked Dandy, living right across the water from detroit for the past 5 years, i've watched him play here many times, he will always be a 4th-6th kind of d-man, but if he can stay healthy, he plays very responsibly.

I've said it before, people are judging him based off an injury plagued season, which he never got back in form from. Just in the playoffs against Carolina he was arguably one of our best d-man out there, and that is where a guy like him excels. Were talking about a guy who was in the playoffs for years on a regular basis, he's won 2 cups, his experience is massively underated.

Dandenault's strenght is his speed. He had a serious leg injury last season which, even when he came back, slowed him down. If he's healthy this season, there will be people swallowing their words. He's still relatively young and can certainly help this team.

Guest Liu Kang
I'm just curious but does anyone know who he was paired with in Detrot?

As far as I can remember he played a lot with Jiri Fischer, but he was there for ~10 years and 3 cups, so he played regularly with the likes of Chelios, Lidstrom, Kozlov, Larionov, Schneider, etc.

Scotty Bowman wasn't afraid to change up his defence pairings...

Guest CanadianMike

Trade him!!

I said it before..I like him, but I want Streit's place to be secure. Dandy was bangin' away at camp. He says he is not stressing about a roster spot, but I think he is.

Trade him!!

I said it before..I like him, but I want Streit's place to be secure. Dandy was bangin' away at camp. He says he is not stressing about a roster spot, but I think he is.

I think he should! :)

Archived