The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

27 Alex Kovalev 06-07

jl-1

Guest habgab
lol....the only similarity between Begin and Kovalev are that they play in the NHL for the Montreal Canadiens  

Begin has to work hard for everything Kovalev can get by on his talent alone.

If Kovaelv hand Begins work ethic he would be awesome

And I didn't say trade Kovalev .

I think there is another difference - Begin is inspiring, because he always shows up to play and the hits he makes or the shots he blocks for the sake of the team are outstanding. Kovalev is frustrating, because we all know he is so talented yet only infrequently (it seems) shows up to play. Personally, I don't think that without Kovalev there is no team - and, you are probably better off in the end with a whole lot of decent players who come to play every night than a whole lot of superstars who couldn't be bothered most of the time.

• Replies 10.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why do you guys who are Koivu fans, and Begin fans, come on this thread to bash Kovalev??? What purpose does that serve. It doesn't make Begin or Saku any better-and it doesn't diminish Kovalev. He was leading point scorer last year, in the regular season and the playoffs, coming off knee surgery. That's a fact- it can't be changed- And so what are you left to say. "Yeah, but if he had tried HARDER, AND SHOWED UP EVERY GAME" - WHAT???- he would have led the team with more points???

Why not go to the Begin thread or the Saku thread and say nice things in support of them. And when you're there, I'm confident, you won't find ONE Kovalev fan saying anything negative about either one of them.

dont blink guys, soon enough Kovalev will have a 2 goal 1 assist night and he will just as quickly be praised as the best player on the team, mark my words :D

you people dont know what you want, thats what all this is about really.

Amen, brother. Why are we all so eager to pronounce judgment on players based on one game? The season is 82 games long. Kovy will be back.

Guest HabsFanInPitt27

Don't call me a bad fan just cuz I care more about Kovy then anyone else on the team. Of coruse I want him to score goals and have assisits, but the team winning comes first. Maybe if you got to know me better you'd find that I'm not a bad person. Just ask anyone on here who has talked to me before.

Don't call me a bad fan just cuz I care more about Kovy then anyone else on the team. Of coruse I want him to score goals and have assisits, but the team winning comes first. Maybe if you got to know me better you'd find that I'm not a bad person. Just ask anyone on here who has talked to me before.

as long as the team comes first, all i wanted to hear

Hey, Weep and JL will soon step in and either take us seriously or say we're off topic.  

that sounds like the speech of a scared man :razz:

So, I'll give you the last punch- that is, of course, after you talk to your mom and ask her how to spell the words.  

:D

LOL and that sounds like the speech of a defeated man. Fair enough Dice I accept your surrender and will give you quarter for now. That is only if you can stay on topic about Kovalev.

I think some of Kovys "not showing up" stigma from last season is simple frustration because of his linemates. Bulis and Ribeiro were decent hockey players but no where near the level of Kovalev. It's like a gifted child being stuck in a classroom where the pace of the teaching is below them.

Kovalev probably got ticked off watching a beautiful play he started fail because Bulis or Ribeiro couldn't keep up.

dont blink guys, soon enough Kovalev will have a 2 goal 1 assist night and he will just as quickly be praised as the best player on the team, mark my words

you people dont know what you want, thats what all this is about really.

sure we know what we want :D we want Kovalev to have a 2 goal 1 assist night every night 8) But then if he got 2 goals there would be some wondering why he didn't get the hat trick.

A point a night is a good start for me. If he gets any more I'm not complaining.

Guest habgab
Why do you guys who are Koivu fans, and Begin fans, come on this thread to bash Kovalev??? What purpose does that serve. It doesn't make Begin or Saku any better-and it doesn't diminish Kovalev. He was leading point scorer last year, in the regular season and the playoffs, coming off knee surgery. That's a fact- it can't be changed-   And so what are you left to say. "Yeah, but if he had tried HARDER, AND SHOWED UP EVERY GAME" - WHAT???- he would have led the team with more points???  

Why not go to the Begin thread or the Saku thread and say nice things in support of them.  And when you're there, I'm confident, you won't find ONE Kovalev fan saying anything negative about either one of them.

I am sorry, I didn't realize that a thread about Kovalev meant that you could not make a negative comment about his play. I like Kovalev and I think his flashes of brilliance are nothing short of awe inspiring. It just annoys me to no end to watch him when he doesn't seem to care...there are times that he is just gliding to the bench when the lines are changing when I could scream (and sometimes do). He is being paid big money and he is constantly referred to as the superstar on the team - all I ask is that he try to provide the same inspirational play, day in day out, as Begin. And, if that means he leads the team with more points, what is wrong with that? He has the talent, why not be the best player out there?

By the way, I am a Ryder fan, and there is no shortage of criticism on his thread either. Everything Ryder does is criticized, shoots too much, shoots too little, makes stupid passes, makes no passes, lazy, slow blah, blah, blah. There is no doubt that Kovalev can skate and stickhandle circles around Ryder - so why isn't he miles ahead of him in stats department?

It is unfortunate, that's all, that Kovalev seemingly doesn't see the need to go to work everynight. On a team, everyone should perform to the best of his abilities at any given time...Begin consistently performs better that we expect he can while Kovalev does not.

That is what these threads are for, isn't it?

Pitt27, I know the overwhelming majority of us, consider you a true and loyal fan. Don't let an isolated post upset you- just ignore the poster.

Most everyone on the Board has their own hero. You don't have to defend the fact that Kovy is your favorite and you want him to do well. Fact is, this is a Kovy thread, and so, it's natural that you would support him here. I've read many of your comments on "game threads" where you support the whole team.

The majority of us enjoy your contributions to the Board, and your spirit and enthusiasm.

I'm sure if I lived in Pittsburgh- and had to consider the real possibility that NHL hockey would be leaving my home town- I'd be upset also if I was as much a fan of hockey as you are.

Keep the faith. Things will work out. And, above all, keep on making your insightful and spirited comments on behalf on Kovy and the Habs.

In fact, when I'm done posting, I'll put in a call to my good friend, Kovy, and get him to score for you tonite :D

I am sorry, I didn't realize that a thread about Kovalev meant that you could not make a negative comment about his play....

all I ask is that he try to provide the same inspirational play, day in day out, as Begin...

he has the talent, why not be the best player out there...

By the way, I am a Ryder fan, and there is no shortage of criticism on his thread either.  Everything Ryder does is criticized, shoots too much, shoots too little, makes stupid passes, makes no passes, lazy, slow blah, blah, blah.  There is no doubt that Kovalev can skate and stickhandle circles around Ryder - so why isn't he miles ahead of him in stats department?  

On a team, everyone should perform to the best of his abilities at any given time...Begin consistently performs better that we expect he can while Kovalev does not.  

Don't be sorry for expresing your view. Your certainly entitlted to make negative comments about Kovy on this thread, in my opinon. If you doubt that, please read my post #171, above- last paragraph.

But, contrary to your view, everyone contributes to a team according to their gifts, limits and abilities. And I don't believe that you can take one payer's special talent, and impute it to another player.

So, for instance, you say begin is inspirational and he hustles. Great, I praise that. But, I don't say why can't Begin be more like Koivu, who not only hustles and is inspirational- but scores points. Begin isn't Koivu.

You mention Ryder, who has a knack for scoring goals. Great. But, I don't say why can't Ryder be more like Sammy, who has incredible speed and playmaking abilities- or why doesn't he play like Higgins, who not only scores goals, but plays defense. Ryder isn't Higgins or sammy.

Begin may hustle every shift, but he can afford to expend that kind of energy, because that's the limits of his ability- he's not a top flight scorer. His contribution to the team is to hustle and inspire.

Guys like Mario, Gretz, and other top flight offensive players, like Kovy- canot play like Begins. If they did, they couldn't possibly have the endurance to do what the team expects most of them- which is to provide offense.

Heck, mario Jagr and Gretz spent most of their time hanging out at the red line, waiting for the break out, so that they could do their job- which was to initiate offense and put points on the Board.

IMO, Kovy comes to play every night. But his primary job is to create offense. It's unreasonable to expect him to have all the best talenst of Begin, Ryder, Higgins, Koivu and whomever else- all rolled into one player.

Criticize him on this thread- sure; flame him because he's not an amalgamation (sp) of all the best talents on the team is neither fair or worthwhile- he's our best offensive player, but he's not Superman.

Kovy plays like a great white shark. He swims around, he prowls, he paces himself, - and then, more times than not, somewhere in the 60 minutes, he eats a goalie for dinner. :D

Guest cup crazy88

Samsonov-Plekanec-Kovalev line hasn't exactly gelled together yet.. few times they were kidna throwing the puck around, but they did have a few qualiality possesions in Toronto's end.. im not worried tho, theyll b up in not time..

He helped set up souray's PP goal tho, overall not too bad for him tonight.. another shootout crossbar hehe, o well next time!

I noticed him WAY more tonight, he was all over the ice, everytime the line was out bob cole was always like" theres kovalev hes dangerous! cycles around the net, he's still got it that kovalev"

and his play on the PP, highly over looked, the guy is a Powerplay genius, he came down towards the right post and dragged the defence with him because he knows, they dont have a damn choice, they wont let him shoot, they are smarter than that, and then with half the PK colapsed, he dishes the neat pass to the point, Souray had all day and all night to blast that puck, and the colapse in front of the net Kovalev created acted as a screen.

like i said, theres more to a play than the result, they're would have been no result without that kind of intelligent play.

Samsonov-Plekanec-Kovalev line hasn't exactly gelled together yet.. few times they were kidna throwing the puck around, but they did have a few qualiality possesions in Toronto's end.. im not worried tho, theyll b up in not time..

He helped set up souray's PP goal tho, overall not too bad for him tonight.. another shootout crossbar hehe, o well next time!

I would have liked to seen a reverse angle on that shot. I thought it went in enough but bounced back too quickly to really tell.

I think they were still tired for lats nights effort. The whole team looked off at times but good to see them come out with the win.

I expect wednesdays game to be the one Kovalev gets a goal

LEFT POST...CROSSBAR...RIGHT POST —I HATE IT WHEN KOVY STARTS TO CLANK IRON. I HATE IT! I HATE IT!! I HATE IT!!!!

Once he starts, he doesn’t stop. As soon as the guy came into the NHL, he should have hired a sports Psychiatrist- because he is a freaking, looney cosmonaut! The guy has so much frigging talent, he can hit a crossbar and post any time he wants.

AND I swear to god, once he hits a post, he starts aiming for the post- AND IT’S ALL SUB-CONSCIOUS- he doesn’t even realize he’s doing it! The guy can go 18-20 games in a row pinging pucks off posts. BELIEVE ME- 14 years I’ve watched this guy- and once he starts pinging - he can’t freaking stop!

I don’t mind when he doesn’t score- I could care less when he takes stupid penalties. Doesn’t bother me a bit, when his cross ice passes get intercepted for breakaway goals..no problem when he misses an empty net...all of that is cool.

BUT NOT THE FREAKING POSTS!!!!!! NOT THE THOSE DARN LOUSY STUPID INSANE FREAKING POSTS!!!!! I CAN’T SLEEP. I HEAR THE PUCKS RICOCHET IN MY DREAMS! PING! PING PING!! PING PING PING !!!!!

THE GUY’S A NUT!!!! AND HE BETTER DEEP SIX THAT “WARRIOR” STICK- EVERY TIME HE DESIGNS ONE OF THESE NEW STICKS, HE HAS TO PROVE THEY’RE GREAT- THEN, HE TIGHTENS UP AND WHAT HAPPENS??? POSTS! CROSSBARS! POSTS! PING !! PING!! PING!!!!

AHHHHHHHHH, there, I’m glad I said that. There now I feel much better. Just had a little too much wine and Dice was Loaded.

Really. I’m fine now and feel so, so so much better. :D :D :D

Hey Dice you promised me a goal. :P

I know I did. I called Kovy and ask him to score one for you. But, he said he couldn't. you see, all he's doing right night is HITIING THE FREAKING POSTS!

Sorry. :D

Guest Kovalev #27
LEFT POST...CROSSBAR...RIGHT POST —I HATE IT WHEN KOVY STARTS TO CLANK IRON.   I HATE IT!  I HATE IT!!   I HATE IT!!!!

Once he starts, he doesn’t stop.  As soon as the guy came into the NHL, he should have hired a  sports Psychiatrist- because he is a freaking, looney cosmonaut!   The guy has so much frigging talent, he can hit a crossbar and post any time he wants.  

AND  I swear to god, once he hits a post, he starts aiming for the post- AND IT’S ALL SUB-CONSCIOUS- he doesn’t even realize he’s doing it!  The guy can go 18-20 games in a row pinging pucks off posts.   BELIEVE ME- 14 years I’ve watched this guy- and once he starts pinging - he can’t freaking stop!

I don’t mind when he doesn’t score- I could care less when he takes stupid penalties.  Doesn’t bother me a bit, when his cross ice passes get intercepted for breakaway goals..no problem when he misses an empty net...all of that is cool.  

BUT NOT THE FREAKING POSTS!!!!!!  NOT THE THOSE DARN LOUSY STUPID INSANE FREAKING POSTS!!!!!    I CAN’T SLEEP.  I HEAR THE PUCKS RICOCHET IN MY DREAMS!  PING!  PING PING!! PING PING PING !!!!!  

THE GUY’S A NUT!!!! AND HE BETTER DEEP SIX THAT “WARRIOR” STICK- EVERY TIME HE DESIGNS ONE OF THESE NEW STICKS, HE HAS TO PROVE THEY’RE GREAT- THEN, HE TIGHTENS UP AND WHAT HAPPENS???  POSTS!  CROSSBARS! POSTS!  PING !! PING!!  PING!!!!  

AHHHHHHHHH, there, I’m glad I said that. There now I feel much better.  Just had a little too much wine and Dice was Loaded.  

Really.  I’m fine now and feel so, so so  much better.  :D :D :D    

I know I did. I called Kovy and ask him to score one for you.  But, he said he couldn't.  you see, all he's doing right night is HITIING THE FREAKING POSTS!

Sorry.  :P

What a GREAT "post" DICE! :D

But overall, I think Kovalev's line was much better today than it was yesterday. Did you see Kovalev's reaction today when he hit that damn post?

Guest HabsFanInPitt27
LEFT POST...CROSSBAR...RIGHT POST —I HATE IT WHEN KOVY STARTS TO CLANK IRON.   I HATE IT!  I HATE IT!!   I HATE IT!!!!

Once he starts, he doesn’t stop.  As soon as the guy came into the NHL, he should have hired a  sports Psychiatrist- because he is a freaking, looney cosmonaut!   The guy has so much frigging talent, he can hit a crossbar and post any time he wants.  

AND  I swear to god, once he hits a post, he starts aiming for the post- AND IT’S ALL SUB-CONSCIOUS- he doesn’t even realize he’s doing it!  The guy can go 18-20 games in a row pinging pucks off posts.   BELIEVE ME- 14 years I’ve watched this guy- and once he starts pinging - he can’t freaking stop!

I don’t mind when he doesn’t score- I could care less when he takes stupid penalties.  Doesn’t bother me a bit, when his cross ice passes get intercepted for breakaway goals..no problem when he misses an empty net...all of that is cool.  

BUT NOT THE FREAKING POSTS!!!!!!  NOT THE THOSE DARN LOUSY STUPID INSANE FREAKING POSTS!!!!!    I CAN’T SLEEP.  I HEAR THE PUCKS RICOCHET IN MY DREAMS!  PING!  PING PING!! PING PING PING !!!!!  

THE GUY’S A NUT!!!! AND HE BETTER DEEP SIX THAT “WARRIOR” STICK- EVERY TIME HE DESIGNS ONE OF THESE NEW STICKS, HE HAS TO PROVE THEY’RE GREAT- THEN, HE TIGHTENS UP AND WHAT HAPPENS???  POSTS!  CROSSBARS! POSTS!  PING !! PING!!  PING!!!!  

AHHHHHHHHH, there, I’m glad I said that. There now I feel much better.  Just had a little too much wine and Dice was Loaded.  

Really.  I’m fine now and feel so, so so  much better.  :D :D :D    

I know I did. I called Kovy and ask him to score one for you.  But, he said he couldn't.  you see, all he's doing right night is HITIING THE FREAKING POSTS!

Sorry.  :D

It's ok he'll get his goal soon enough. Hopefully he saves one for when I go see him. I don't scream much at games cuz my throat is already dry when I walk into that arena. I just might have to if he does it when I'm there.

Did you see Kovalev's reaction today when he hit that damn post?

Nope 27- the 52 inch television screen was already in pieces by that time.

Sorry, I'm not allowed to talk about this any more tonight. There is someone around who doesn't understand how a "mature intelligent man" can still be so upset 3 hours after a "stupid game".

Cheers :D

Guest Firestar

When koivu hadn't scored one goal in 18 games, everyone defended him, some, like Hoser, even said it was because he was trying to be generous by always passing to higgins or ryder.

Now Kovalev doesn't score in the first 2 games of the season while he's still trying to get a chemistry with Samsonov, and everyone says he doesn'T give a damn about the team bla bla bla...

Wait, and you'll see.

Archived