The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

14 Tomas Plekanec 06-07

jl-1

I feel it's not his line to center....Sammy and Kovy are guys that are veterans, and heres Pleks a year after his rookie...when he doesn't smile after a goal (like a couple in the colorado game) it makes me think....does he want to smile, but doesn't want to be "out of the group" or is he really like that....i dunno i'm curious...

Not only is Plekanec not ready to be a number 2 center, but he would much better serve this team on the 4th imo, Begin is just better as a winger when he can get in on the forcheck and hit guys rather then having to play a little smarter and laying back a little more. Pleks is perfect for that role.

Higgins Koivu Ryder

Samsonov _____ Kovalev

Johnson Bonk Perezhogin

Begin Plekanec Latendresse

I don't think Plekanek is the only problem with that line, but i think your right in saying tat he isn't ready for the second line role.

Thos lines would work well. Plekanek might help Latendresse out, and Begin works better as a winger. It also adds some much needed depth at center.

My problem with trading Ribs had nothing to do with Ribs, but rather that we had no replacement ready for him (although I don't think Ribs would look any better on that line).

There's gotta be some way to get Marleau, Conroy, or Lang.

And I still wouldn't mind seeing Perreault or Allison on that line. The line would obviously let in more goals, but if they can score more as a result, its worth it. I know they are slow and not the ideal solution, but it might be enough to get the line going. Perreault is a finisher, something the line needs. Allison could take ove rplaymaking so Kovalev and Sammy could concentrate on finishing. Its questionable how much the line would suffer because of Allison's/Perrault's (lack of) speed, but they would be cheap and it may be worth a try. If it fails, waive them.

I don't think Plekanek is the only problem with that line, but i think your right in saying tat he isn't ready for the second line role.

Thos lines would work well. Plekanek might help Latendresse out, and Begin works better as a winger. It also adds some much needed depth at center.

My problem with trading Ribs had nothing to do with Ribs, but rather that we had no replacement ready for him (although I don't think Ribs would look any better on that line).

There's gotta be some way to get Marleau, Conroy, or Lang.

And I still wouldn't mind seeing Perreault or Allison on that line. The line would obviously let in more goals, but if they can score more as a result, its worth it.  I know they are slow and not the ideal solution, but it might be enough to get the line going. Perreault is a finisher, something the line needs. Allison could take ove rplaymaking so Kovalev and Sammy could concentrate on finishing. Its questionable how much the line would suffer because of Allison's/Perrault's (lack of) speed, but they would be cheap and it may be worth a try. If it fails,  waive them.

well...what abotu grabovsky?

-Matt

Why not Bonk... and putting Pleks at center on the third... ah it won't happen anyway!

bw6

Brian, you won't get any argument from me. I've been saying since midway last season that Bonk could be dynamite centering Kovalev. Also, Plekanec and Perezhogin looked very good together in the playoffs; in theory, the addition of another fast, shifty forward like Samsonov would be perfect for the third line.

I think part of the issue is confidence. Plekanec works hard but seems to believe that it's not his job to be a playmaker on a line with 'big stars' like Kovalev and Samsonov. I don't think being that humble is helping the line. Someone needs to step up and make plays, and since Pleks is the centre, that job by default falls to him. Samsonov is more of a scorer, and Kovalev can set up plays when he wants to, but he's a better scorer than Pleks is a finisher, so it makes more sense for Pleks to be feeding his linemates.

Dice has also said that Plekanec tends to get in Kovalev's way too much and doesn't look for open ice away from Kovy. I agree with him. Pleks has to learn to draw defenders away from his wingmates so they can set up at the goalmouth to receive his passes.

I love this kid for the effort he puts forth each night, we cant take away his ethic out there but as some of you have noticed, he is a dangler, samsonov is a dangler, kovalev is a dangler, 3 danglers on 1 line dont work, and he does get in there way at times because of his lack of experience, i think perhaps switching bonk and pleks wouldnt hurt, but idealy, and i know people dont like this because it may interfere with "Chemistry", but the players that need switching are right there in our top 6.

in my opinion, try switchin Ryder and Kovalev, allow the Koivu - Kovalev duo a chance to rekindle the chaos they created last season while they were together, Plekanec and Samsonov would benefit from a natural triggerman, and Kovalev and Koivu would obviously make higgins even better than he is aswell as improve there own numbers.

Its an idea i wish they just tried, even for just a couple games, if it doesnt work then hey we can always go back to the old lines, but we wont ever know unless we try it, and i have a funny feeling Kovalev - Koivu - Higgins would be absolutley devastating out there and Samsonov - Pleks - Ryder would be equally devastating.

guess what im trying to say is our top 6 players look like top 6 players, lets just try and switch it up and see what happens, i still dont think were getting the offence we can out of the top 2 lines.

Guest Lafleurs Guy

1. I think they should give Pleks a chance to develop. You'll never know how good your prospects are until you play them. Fortunately the Habs are winning right now and they can afford to experiment with this. Give him a chance.

2. I don't think they should mess with the 1st line at all. Its working, don't fix it.

3. I would probably try Perez with Kovy and Pleks before I moved Pleks anywhere. Perezhogin has played well but he's hit 18 crossbars already this season. It would be neat to see what he could do on the 2nd line. Samsonov would work on the 3rd line with Johnson who's bigger anyway.

4. If they are going to mess with the 1st line (bad idea) then make Higgins the 2nd line center. Its his natural position anyway. Perez can move up to Koivu's line and Pleks can move down.

I love this kid for the effort he puts forth each night, we cant take away his ethic out there but as some of you have noticed, he is a dangler, samsonov is a dangler, kovalev is a dangler, 3 danglers on 1 line dont work, and he does get in there way at times because of his lack of experience, i think perhaps switching bonk and pleks wouldnt hurt, but idealy, and i know people dont like this because it may interfere with "Chemistry", but the players that need switching are right there in our top 6.

in my opinion, try switchin Ryder and Kovalev, allow the Koivu - Kovalev duo a chance to rekindle the chaos they created last season while they were together, Plekanec and Samsonov would benefit from a natural triggerman, and Kovalev and Koivu would obviously make higgins even better than he is aswell as improve there own numbers.

Its an idea i wish they just tried, even for just a couple games, if it doesnt work then hey we can always go back to the old lines, but we wont ever know unless we try it, and i have a funny feeling Kovalev - Koivu - Higgins would be absolutley devastating out there and Samsonov - Pleks - Ryder would be equally devastating.

guess what im trying to say is our top 6 players look like top 6 players, lets just try and switch it up and see what happens, i still dont think were getting the offence we can out of the top 2 lines.

Kovy has to play the first line with Koivu although I think Higgins could center the second line and Samsonov could play with Saku too... I don't think Pleks is ideal at second line center and would better help the Habs if he played on the 4th line centering Begin and Lats. Perez-Higgins-Ryder is also worth the try... but wouldn't it be something to see Bonkers (now that he's healthy and showing some leadership on the ice making hey with the likes of any of the top six players)... anything, but things have to change if we want to go far in the playoffs this year.

bw6

Guest hablover

Wow...can this guy play, i'm so impressed with him this year! He has so much talent and improving so much as a player mentally and physically! He's been one of the best players for me to watch this year so far!

Brian, you won't get any argument from me. I've been saying since midway last season that Bonk could be dynamite centering Kovalev. Also, Plekanec and Perezhogin looked very good together in the playoffs; in theory, the addition of another fast, shifty forward like Samsonov would be perfect for the third line.

I think part of the issue is confidence. Plekanec works hard but seems to believe that it's not his job to be a playmaker on a line with 'big stars' like Kovalev and Samsonov. I don't think being that humble is helping the line. Someone needs to step up and make plays, and since Pleks is the centre, that job by default falls to him. Samsonov is more of a scorer, and Kovalev can set up plays when he wants to, but he's a better scorer than Pleks is a finisher, so it makes more sense for Pleks to be feeding his linemates.

Dice has also said that Plekanec tends to get in Kovalev's way too much and doesn't look for open ice away from Kovy. I agree with him. Pleks has to learn to draw defenders away from his wingmates so they can set up at the goalmouth to receive his passes.

You both make sense and have made me think of what may be happening with Pleks... he's still operating in a defensive mode instinctively reacting to the puck and maybe not seeing the ice from an offensive point of view... is he really a natural set-up man (I'm not sure)... Bonk could do both I believe and play two ways for either line one or two-IMHO.

bw6

Thats the switch I'd like to see. I don't think it will mess with chemistry too much (As long as Higgins stays with Koivu and Johnson with Bonk), and would spread the three lines out so they each have: a playmaking center (Koivu, Plekanek, Bonk), a highly skilled winger(Kovalev, Sammy, Perezhogin), and a "triggerman" type guy who doesn't look that fancy but can put the puck in the net (Higgins, Ryder, Johnson)

Guest d80jcrant
Thats the switch I'd like to see. I don't think it will mess with chemistry too much (As long as Higgins stays with Koivu and Johnson with Bonk), and would spread the three lines out so they each have: a playmaking center (Koivu, Plekanek, Bonk), a highly skilled winger(Kovalev, Sammy, Perezhogin), and a "triggerman" type guy who doesn't look that fancy but can put the puck in the net (Higgins, Ryder, Johnson)

You know, That looks real good. It be nice to give that a try.

Why break up whats working great (Saku's line) and Bonk/Johnson to fix the 2nd line...You can not break up Saku's line bc they bring everything to the table...And plus its always good that u can throw that whole line out for PP and have Higgy/Saku go out for PK and not have to mix and match...Also throwing Bonk on the 2nd like and Pleks on the 3rd line will give a huge defensive liability on the 3rd line with really only Johnson playing great D, and u break up whats been working. Its no coincidence both are having good years...So u ask what do we do about the 2nd line? Well like Carbo tried a few shifts, put Gui there. If that doesnt work then u look for a trade...U do not fix something while breaking something else, it doesnt work like that and it doesnt make sense.

Guest Captain Koivu#11

Wow, I REALLY like your idea of switching Ryder with Kovalev. And the moment I thought about Higgins playing with Kovy and Koivu, I just sat in my computer chair with a grin on my face while thinking about what a GREAT line that would be! Not to mention what it will do to Higgins' development playing with those two!

And the second line. I imagine Ryder would be on fire playing with Sammy and Pleks. And it will probably benefit Pleks point wise to be playing with Ryder too.

Like I said, I agree with this line-up of yours and I wish they would at least try it. And if it doesn't work, they can always put Ryder back on the first line with Koivu and Higgins.

Guest Thibodosa

when ribs was here last year ryder played really well with him on second line... i think pleks could provide more grind for the puck and give him more opprotunities...

Wow, I REALLY like your idea of switching Ryder with Kovalev. And the moment I thought about Higgins playing with Kovy and Koivu, I just sat in my computer chair with a grin on my face while thinking about what a GREAT line that would be!

On paper. Imagine Kovalev having and off night (doesn't take too much imagination) and whoa, we're without our 1st line.

But I agree these ideas (Kovy on 1st, Ryder on 2nd) seem all very pretty and could work. Talk about dillema! Phew, I'm so glad I'm not a coach..

you know.. i can agree that kovy and koivu and higgins would probably work. i mean when you look at it, higgins and koivu are the big combo out there, ryder is the man who cna shoot and loves to pump it. if ryder was out there putting that energy into samsonov with pleks, then i think it could work. to many times out there i see pleks drive in for the forcheck, and kovy and samsonov hover waiting for him.... it just doesnt happen, but if ryder was digging in there with pleks and had watch your language. -weepingminotaur samsonov, could get some room for more goals, as well koivu and higgins would have more room to work their magic with kovy drawing all the d. (which he does like magic). i dont know i could see that switch going good. but take it one step at a time.. i think where stuff went bad last year was the amount of stirring the lines that went on constantly, we couldnt figure it out. carbo has kept the lineup tight, now hes making a small switch to see where it takes the team. i see it like if lats dosnt show up on the second, it will swithc back and another combo will be looked at. ITS SO early in the season, and this team is i dont know if you guys have noticed but talented as any other. we have to find a mesh still. it will come. whoever said look at a trade???? are u kidding me? so early that would be insane. and also, why do you put the 4th line down so much. its just as much apart of the team!! they are out there to put energy in the rest of the lineups... i love begin and think hes bringing up the rear just fine. go habs!!

Are you kidding me? i havent seen one game yet where he has given any less than 100%, he's making some plays, back-checking, and doing what he can, he is very inexperienced and he cant seem to find the best way to follow kovalev and samsonov without getting in the way at times, but we certainly cant sit here and blame this kid, he has been great all year long, dangerous on numerous occasions every game, good speed and hustle and battles it out, he took the check from chara in boston like a champion, he got plowed but got back up and went to the front of the net, i cant believe someone is even giving him an ounce of heat, are we not watching the same games?.

we need to stop blaming Kovalev, we need to stop blaming Samsonov, and we need to stop blaming Pleks, its no individual fault of either of them, its the cohesiveness of the 3 that isnt working out right now. there passing when they should be shooting, carrying when they should be passing.

Are you kidding me? i havent seen one game yet where he has given any less than 100%, he's making some plays, back-checking, and doing what he can, he is very inexperienced and he cant seem to find the best way to follow kovalev and samsonov without getting in the way at times, but we certainly cant sit here and blame this kid, he has been great all year long, dangerous on numerous occasions every game, good speed and hustle and battles it out, he took the check from chara in boston like a champion, he got plowed but got back up and went to the front of the net, i cant believe someone is even giving him an ounce of heat, are we not watching the same games?.

we need to stop blaming Kovalev, we need to stop blaming Samsonov, and we need to stop blaming Pleks, its no individual fault of either of them, its the cohesiveness of the 3 that isnt working out right now. there passing when they should be shooting, carrying when they should be passing.

I agree with you here again Link as I did in the Perezhogin thread... It's not about effort (he's given it his all), but rather about where he can excel... and I believe that isn't the second line center position... I'd rather see him with Bonk on the 3rd or with Begin on the 4th, not because he doesn't merit the opportunity, but because that is where his skill and work ethic can best be used for the best team results.

bw6

Great hes been playing a defensive role when hes being asked to be an offensive player which he is and unfortunately he hant produced a thing! Thats why people should be and have every right to be on him. Hes been centering the 2nd line and has 2 assists and thats it to show for it. Thats god awful. Im not gonna search thro teams but I somehow think for 2nd line centers he may be near the very bottom of the league in 2nd line center points...Again I do think hes a hustler and all that. But hes being asked to produce offensively. If he was playing 3rd line duty Id be saying how great hes playing bc hes out there doing what a 3rd line player is asked to do. BUT hes not being asked to do that. Hes being asked to play offense and hes just not doing anything in the offensive zone

Archived