The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

42 Alexander Perezhogin

jl-1

Guest shao01
I can only quote two at a time, but this is also in reply to shao01 and rendez_vous who also have stated wanting to put the blame on Carbonneau...

Perezhogin will be paid the equivalent of $3.4 million per season for two years because there is practically no taxes in Russia for pro athletes. Let me ask you... does Carbonneau decide on the contracts given to our players? Should Gainey break the bank and give Perezhogin that kind of money in your expert opinions? I certainly wouldn't.

Don't beleive me? Click here for the article:

Meehan said that Perezhogin will net $1.7 million U.S. "That works out to about $3.4 million gross in the NHL and it's unlikely the Canadiens could match that," Meehan said. Perezhogin earned $627,000 last season.

;)

That's not my point. I wouldn't give him that much either at this point either. Thing is, Carbo did not give Perezoghin the playing time he deserves. Despite playing 61 games, he was sound defensively(+11 is proof) and had 15 points. Latendress was -20 on the season. Yes he had 29 points, but 10 of the them came on the PP. You take away the 10 points and it's not really that much more than what Perez had considering he played nearly 20 games less(most of themon the fourth line may I add). Oh, and their penalty minutes were very similiar.

However, I do hope he had taken whatever salary he was given and sucked it up for another year. We wasted another 1st round pick for nothing. I would have given him 1.5 million for one season to make him stay but that's just me.

I don't think a single person here would argue that we should have given Perezhogin that kind of money. However, you have to wonder why money became more important when most players prefer to compete at the highest level in the NHL and know that if they make it here, they'll make more money than they would anywhere else. Perhaps he was starting to feel like he would never get a fair chance to show what he could do?

I argue it for the simple fact that I don't think Perezhogin is worth 1.7-mil a season. He hasn't done anything with this club to earn the right to move to another tax bracket. I say trade him. Make a deal like Ottawa did (Kaigarodov for Comrie) and get something to help the team now.

I can only quote two at a time, but this is also in reply to shao01 and rendez_vous who also have stated wanting to put the blame on Carbonneau...

Perezhogin will be paid the equivalent of $3.4 million per season for two years because there is practically no taxes in Russia for pro athletes. Let me ask you... does Carbonneau decide on the contracts given to our players? Should Gainey break the bank and give Perezhogin that kind of money in your expert opinions? I certainly wouldn't.

Don't beleive me? Click here for the article:

Meehan said that Perezhogin will net $1.7 million U.S. "That works out to about $3.4 million gross in the NHL and it's unlikely the Canadiens could match that," Meehan said. Perezhogin earned $627,000 last season.

;)

If this was just due to money, don't you think we'd see more promising prospects return to Russia ? We'll never know for sure, but I bet if he saw himself in this teams plans he would have stuck it out here. If he got offered that kind of money, think about what other prospects must get in Russia. I doubt his decision was just based on one factor, and you can't completely blame the coach, but at the same time I'm sure that last season played into the decision.

It's probably true both ways, had we offered him the same money he'd have stayed here, but also if he was in the teams plans and had a good future he probably would have stayed for less money. All about balancing the pros and cons of NHL and Russia, and I can't help but feel Carbs helped tip the scale in Russia's favour, that combined with the salary, how could he resist?

I don't think a single person here would argue that we should have given Perezhogin that kind of money. However, you have to wonder why money became more important when most players prefer to compete at the highest level in the NHL and know that if they make it here, they'll make more money than they would anywhere else. Perhaps he was starting to feel like he would never get a fair chance to show what he could do?

That's how i see it. And of course you couldn't give him that kind of salary, then Pleks would want 4 million, Ryder 5-6 million, Komi over 4 million, etc. It would just inflate our salaries ridiculously

Weep, in all due respect, if you were offered more than 5 times what you made last year to return back home to work, would you take it? I know what I'd do. ;)

But if it were just money driven, wouldn't other players be flocking back to Russia? I'm sure Perezhogin wasn't the teams #1 preference, or anywhere close to that.

Guest Habsfan_11

Well I think that money definitely had something to do with him signing in Russia. He's not worth 1.7 Mil based on what he did last season, and BG would be crazy to give him that much.

However, I will say that he was mistreated here. If I were in his position... I get to go back closer to home, make more money, and actually get to PLAY the sport I love to play. There's no question. He SHOULD have accepted the deal. I'm all for the decision Perezhogin made. If they aren't gonna play you, let them know how you feel.

Guest swansee

Very sorry to lose him, loved watching him play in Hamilton and in Montreal (when he got the chance). I think he would have been a solid starter with another season. Best of luck Alex! Hopefully we'll see you again in a Habs uniform someday!

Guest xHABSFAN19x

I'm glad thats he is gone i never really liked him for some reason if though he does have talent but losing him will open up cap room but i would rather have seen him traded away then just being lost... ;)

Weep, in all due respect, if you were offered more than 5 times what you made last year to return back home to work, would you take it? I know what I'd do. ;)

Absolutely, I wouldn't disagree with you, BUT there are also other factors besides money that influence our decisions, right?

To put it another way, if Perezhogin was making great progress here, and he felt he was getting a fair shake, had been promoted to the first or second line instead of being in the coach's doghouse, he might not have been so likely to go back to Russia.

Guest caperns

What a great post weep. I am in that humble oppinion also. I look at a player like perez and can only think with his skill he could become an elite player making 3 - 4 - 5 million a year. However if you feel your employer or more directly your manager, team lead, supervisor (coach) etc is holding you back from reaching those heights your only option left with is to bolt. The money thing just happened to be there. I am sure if it was the same money being offered it would be the same result.

Absolutely, I wouldn't disagree with you, BUT there are also other factors besides money that influence our decisions, right?

To put it another way, if Perezhogin was making great progress here, and he felt he was getting a fair shake, had been promoted to the first or second line instead of being in the coach's doghouse, he might not have been so likely to go back to Russia.

Why do we have to cottle players though? Why are we no longer allowed to expect players to perform? Why do we have to promote them for doing basically nothing?

Why do we have to cottle players though? Why are we no longer allowed to expect players to perform? Why do we have to promote them for doing basically nothing?

You mean, the way we didn't do with Latendresse? ;)

Seriously, it's not about coddling or unwarranted promotions. It's about letting your young players know that if they work hard, they'll be treated fairly and they will get a chance to prove themselves. My belief is that Perezhogin feels that he has not been given a fair shake in Montreal. We can certainly debate the point, but I am willing to bet that what he feels is unfair treatment has played some part in his decision to return home. Obviously money and the chance to play in his native country are huge factors in his decision.

I argue it for the simple fact that I don't think Perezhogin is worth 1.7-mil a season. He hasn't done anything with this club to earn the right to move to another tax bracket. I say trade him. Make a deal like Ottawa did (Kaigarodov for Comrie) and get something to help the team now.

We would have to give him approximately $3.4 million a year to equal what he'll be making out there as they don't pay tax in Russia (or very little). People don't want to give that kind of money to our best goals scorer, can you imagine the uproar if we gave that to a guy like Perezhogin? ;)

But if it were just money driven, wouldn't other players be flocking back to Russia? I'm sure Perezhogin wasn't the teams #1 preference, or anywhere close to that.

There have been more Russians chosing that avenue in the past couple of years. We also have to remember that there are only a few owners with pockets deep enough to pay their players that much out there. They can't compete with the NHL for the top Russian players as they can make more here, but for marginal players, it's very tempting to go back home to make more.

We would have to give him approximately $3.4 million a year to equal what he'll be making out there as they don't pay tax in Russia (or very little). People don't want to give that kind of money to our best goals scorer, can you imagine the uproar if we gave that to a guy like Perezhogin? ;)

Of course we couldn't give him that money. Not only because it's overpaying him, but then it inflates all the other free agents salaries

There have been more Russians chosing that avenue in the past couple of years. We also have to remember that there are only a few owners with pockets deep enough to pay their players that much out there. They can't compete with the NHL for the top Russian players as they can make more here, but for marginal players, it's very tempting to go back home to make more.

I'm not talking marginal players who have nowehre left to go in the NHL (someone like Ninimaa), Perezhogin was by all acounts still a pretty strong looking prospect. He wasn't developing that quick, but we were seeing improvements. It seems really early for Perezhogin to jet just due to money. I simply think it's a mixture of factors and not 100% a money issue.

Guest caperns

Mojo, I can certainly agree with this post. These are professional players and are no longer kids. They should have to except a role and work hard at it. I don't know of any player that has made it to the NHL that has not had to work at it. Some more than others yes. When I say some more than others I only have to look at the russian players that leave there home, culture, language, type of game they played etc. to come to North America and play our game in our language in our culture, NA (north American Style). They are burdened more than any North American player who makes it to the NHL. Players of equal talent NA and Russian. It is likely the NA will succeed before the russian player.

Did you watch the Rocket Richard movie? How culture, language etc was a barrier for Richard, he was 1 in a million type of person not player but person, he had to work twice as hard to break through the barrier? NO I am NOT saying this is an anti russian thing not directly or intended. Like the english against the french. But I believe because of Carbos lack of communication, through his own admisssion time and again this year, We have controversy surrounding this team. This is just another episode in that controversy.

Would this have mattered last year? Nope. It actually looked good at the end of last year, we took the Stanley cup champs to 6 games.

But, this is not last year. We regressed, We did not make the playoffs, there are players speaking out and now we have one of our young prospects siging in russia. With all due respect to your post you may be 100% right.

But I believe there underlying issues here and the Perez signing is another reflection of the issue.

I'm not talking marginal players who have nowehre left to go in the NHL (someone like Ninimaa), Perezhogin was by all acounts still a pretty strong looking prospect. He wasn't developing that quick, but we were seeing improvements. It seems really early for Perezhogin to jet just due to money. I simply think it's a mixture of factors and not 100% a money issue.

Neither am I. I'm talking about players now who haven't reached the stardom stages of their career as well as players in the last strides of their career, included but not limited to players who are having contractual difficulties and that can help a team in their home land.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I didn't agree with Latendresse taking Higgins' spot on the first line when he got hurt as Perezhogin was playing very well at that time. But it's not a reason (to me anyway) to give up on a dream. That's what makes me beleive that either there was more to the story that we don't know and/or the money had a lot to do with the decision he made to pursue his career at home.

Guest Hoser

Sometimes, I hate this freakin' organisation...

This is the talent we refused to give a shot too... Emberassing. The whole franchise should be ashamed. The kid never complained, never argued with his coach, he just did whatever he was told and never got rewarded for it. I don't blame him at all for leaving. The kid would have been amazing if we had let him.

The whole situation is indicititive of the Habs organisation for the last ten years; what happened to the Flying Frenchmen? Think Guy Lafleur would have been as good as he was if he had been benched after one mistake? Think he'd have all those goals if he was forced to play some silly passive system of hockey that kills all creativity? Horrible. Clean house, bring in a whole new crew who understands the new NHL, and bring Sasha back.

Neither am I. I'm talking about players now who haven't reached the stardom stages of their career as well as players in the last strides of their career, included but not limited to players who are having contractual difficulties and that can help a team in their home land.

I wasn't aware this was a common thing happening to our leagues prospects. I don't follow other teams tons granted.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I didn't agree with Latendresse taking Higgins' spot on the first line when he got hurt as Perezhogin was playing very well at that time. But it's not a reason (to me anyway) to give up on a dream. That's what makes me beleive that either there was more to the story that we don't know and/or the money had a lot to do with the decision he made to pursue his career at home.

No but players decline more money from Europe all the time to play in the NHL. It wasn't just the one incident you disagree with, but at the end of the season, I'm sure Perezhogin, as nearly all of us did, figured that he wasn't in the teams plans. It is a completely different situation to turn down extra money when you are part of the teams future, getting solid playing time, and overall things are working out; in comparison to turning down 4x the money to sit in the pressbox.

Again, I'm not saying money is not an issue here, but had things gone differently, the chances of him turning that contract down would be much higher.

Perezhogin was not given the best treatment this season, and I don't see, and he probably doesn't see, why next season would be any different.

Guest Iceman1509

This may come as a shock but the NHL isn't all its cracked up to be anymore. We see it as the elite league on the planet but that isn't the case. European Hockey is becoming hugely skilled and entertaining and profitable. The NHL better watch its back because if things keep up the way they are going then we won't get anymore Lidstroms, Ovechkins, or Koivus coming over. Like JL said, when you can make 5 times as much to stay in your home country, what would you choose? I don't blame anybody because in his position I'd do the same. Think Sammy'll go with him?

Guest habinto
What a great post weep. I am in that humble oppinion also. I look at a player like perez and can only think with his skill he could become an elite player making 3 - 4 - 5 million a year. However if you feel your employer or more directly your manager, team lead, supervisor (coach) etc is holding you back from reaching those heights your only option left with is to bolt. The money thing just happened to be there. I am sure if it was the same money being offered it would be the same result.

We do not have space for him on the top 2 lines so it was a smart move for him.

This is the talent we refused to give a shot too... Emberassing. The whole franchise should be ashamed. The kid never complained, never argued with his coach, he just did whatever he was told and never got rewarded for it. I don't blame him at all for leaving. The kid would have been amazing if we had let him.

The whole situation is indicititive of the Habs organisation for the last ten years; what happened to the Flying Frenchmen? Think Guy Lafleur would have been as good as he was if he had been benched after one mistake? Think he'd have all those goals if he was forced to play some silly passive system of hockey that kills all creativity? Horrible. Clean house, bring in a whole new crew who understands the new NHL, and bring Sasha back.

Lafleur spent his first 3 years sitting at the end of the bench under one of the best coachs ever... Scotty Bowman.

Guest shao01

Just imagine this scenario.

Perezoghin is putting on a clinic doing all kinds of fancy moves with Markov defending him. Carbo approaches...

Carbo: "Hey Perezoghin, what are you doing?"

Perezoghin: "I'm trying to dangle my way past Markov".

Carbo: "What if it was someone like Niedemayer defending you?"

Perezoghin: "I dunno sir."

Carbo: "What are you, stupid? If it was Niedemayer he would have stole the puck. He would have created a two-on-one and scored dammit. You must stop doing those flashy and useless stuff and pay more attention to defense"

Perezoghin: "But I'm already +12, I..."

Carbo: "I don't care. If you ever dare to do that again I'll send you back to Hamilton. This is your last warning."

Perezoghin: "..."

Guest WantMoreCups

Perezoghin is putting on a clinic doing all kinds of fancy moves with Markov defending him. Carbo approaches...

Carbo: "What are you, stupid? If it was Niedemayer he would have stole the puck. He would have created a two-on-one and scored dammit. You must stop doing those flashy and useless stuff and pay more attention to defense"

Carbo: "I don't care. If you ever dare to do that again I'll send you back to Hamilton. This is your last warning."

i think markov would take the puck away before Niedemayer ;)

Guest shao01
i think markov would take the puck away before Niedemayer :)

Let's say he was stricked with flu that day and just let Perez skated circles around him. ;)

I'll bite my lips at this one... ;)

Archived