The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

42 Alexander Perezhogin

jl-1

Weep, in all due respect, if you were offered more than 5 times what you made last year to return back home to work, would you take it? I know what I'd do. ;)

Don't get me wrong, I've already stated in a couple of occasions that Latendresse should not have been prefered to Perezhogin for a kick at the first line when Higgins got hurt, but no one will convince me here that this decision by Perezhogin wasn't money driven...

I agree, but there's more to it than money. I'm pretty confident playing time and opportunity have an influence as well.

On another note, has the club released a statement regarding the incident? (Simply out of curiousity)

Guest rendez_vous
Just imagine this scenario.

Perezoghin is putting on a clinic doing all kinds of fancy moves with Markov defending him. Carbo approaches...

Carbo: "Hey Perezoghin, what are you doing?"

Perezoghin: "I'm trying to dangle my way past Markov".

Carbo: "What if it was someone like Niedemayer defending you?"

Perezoghin: "I dunno sir."

Carbo: "What are you, stupid? If it was Niedemayer he would have stole the puck. He would have created a two-on-one and scored dammit. You must stop doing those flashy and useless stuff and pay more attention to defense"

Perezoghin: "But I'm already +12, I..."

Carbo: "I don't care. If you ever dare to do that again I'll send you back to Hamilton. This is your last warning."

Perezoghin: "..."

Keyword: Imagine.

Example:

"Imagine this scenario, guys.

A pig flying hit Perezhogin in the head causing him to believe that the money wa$ talking to him"

Pigs don't fly, so there is no point in imagining they do. And there also is no point in putting words (and insults) into Carbo's mouth.

The end.

I agree, but there's more to it than money. I'm pretty confident playing time and opportunity have an influence as well.

On another note, has the club released a statement regarding the incident? (Simply out of curiousity)

Not that I know off, but I read somewhere on the forum that Gainey had stated being surprised by Perezhogin's decision...

Example:

A pig flying hit Perezhogin in the head causing him to believe that the money wa$ talking to him"

Pigs don't fly, so there is no point in imagining they do. And there also is no point in putting words (and insults) into Carbo's mouth.

The end.

;) Well that's a diplomatic way of putting it!

Guest LarryRobinson

I just saw this news. I agree that no Habs fan would be ready to give him 3.4 million let alone 1.7 million. I also agree that his choice to return to be a big fish in a small pond rather than remain a small fish in a big pond can be traced to the Habs mismanagement of his career.

We may never know what exactly he was capable of in the NHL, but thats not his fault. His play did not justify his reduced playing time. I would take the money and run as fast as I could out of the Bell Centre if I was him.....smart move Alex.

Guest Come Back Patrick

The worst part about this whole mess is that we have once again lost a player who we drafted for absolutely nothing. Perezhogin, Hainsey, Beauchemin...and the list goes on. I wasn't a huge Perezhogin fan but I would have loved to at least see him get traded for something.

Guest hatethoseleafs

I keep hearing that we lost this kid with nothing in return. Do we not still own his rights??? If he wants to play in the NHL then obviously his fate is in the Habs hands. He's chosen a big money contract to play in his back yard. If he really wanted to play in the NHL ( but not for the Habs) then i'm sure he would have instructed his agent to inform the Habs of his demands or trade his rights to another NHL team. Anybody claiming that this decision wasnt money based but rather a diss of the Habs IMO are mistaken.

Guest Keith

You don't get it though, it wasn't about the money.

Perezhogin could have made better money the last few years in Russia, but he stayed and tried to become something on the Habs. Even if he became a top 3rd liner he would've been a success, He could've been like the Kozlov of Montreal.

We treated him like crap, benched him, and instead let some pine-riders take the time up. He is (was) undisputably one of the hardest working players on the team, and no matter what he said, he didn't cause any public fuss even under the Quebec media and it's scrutiny on our Soap Opera of a team. We're a joke, he left for bigger and better things in Russia, and that's all it comes down to, this team is becoming a damn circus.

Alex, I wish you the best of luck in Russia, I can't be more happy for you if you show these Ringmasters what kind of talent they are missing out on, if that's even what they are looking for!

I keep hearing that we lost this kid with nothing in return. Do we not still own his rights??? If he wants to play in the NHL then obviously his fate is in the Habs hands. He's chosen a big money contract to play in his back yard. If he really wanted to play in the NHL ( but not for the Habs) then i'm sure he would have instructed his agent to inform the Habs of his demands or trade his rights to another NHL team. Anybody claiming that this decision wasnt money based but rather a diss of the Habs IMO are mistaken.

But that doesn't prove it didn't have anything to do with last season. I mean sure, he could have demanded a trade, but at this point he was probably so fed up and lost confidence in himself that maybe he felt other teams wouldn't have a better outcome. All I'm saying is that had last season gone better, it would have made it far easier to turn down that huge contract.

The worst part about this whole mess is that we have once again lost a player who we drafted for absolutely nothing. Perezhogin, Hainsey, Beauchemin...and the list goes on. I wasn't a huge Perezhogin fan but I would have loved to at least see him get traded for something.

Not to mention, he is essentially another "bust" no matter how skilled he is. In 10 years when we look back on our first round draft picks, he'll be another guy who never went on to be of any value to us. Still, I guess Pleks, Higgins, and Komisarek alone beat out all our 90s draft picks

Guest Come Back Patrick
I keep hearing that we lost this kid with nothing in return. Do we not still own his rights???

We still own his rights but how much do you think he'll be worth once his contract expires in 2 years? He'll be an older player by then who still hasn't put up good NHL numbers. If we had traded him before he signed in Russia, he would have been more valuable in the trade market since he's still a young prospect. If he ever comes back from Russia, we won't be able to get much for him. He's just another first round prospect who we never got any value out of and If he does come back down the road, his value will have dropped considerbly.

Guest Come Back Patrick
Not to mention, he is essentially another "bust" no matter how skilled he is. In 10 years when we look back on our first round draft picks, he'll be another guy who never went on to be of any value to us. Still, I guess Pleks, Higgins, and Komisarek alone beat out all our 90s draft picks

We have been terrible at drafting for so many years now and that's the reason why we're always fighting for a playoff spot.

Since 1994, here's a list of our first round picks:

2006 - David Fischer, d

2005 - Carey Price, g

2004 - Kyle Chipchura, c

2003 - Andrei Kostitsyn, w

2002 - Christopher Higgins, c

2001 - Mike Komisarek, d

- Alexander Perezhogin c

2000 - Ron Hainsey, d

- Marcel Hossa, c

1999 - Aucun

1998 - Eric Chouinard, c

1997 - Jason Ward, c-rw

1996 - Matt Higgins, c

1995 - Terry Ryan, lw

1994 - Brad Brown, c

Our last four picks still have to prove themselves but this list basically sums up why we haven't gone anywhere since 1993.

Guest shao01

Example:

The end.

Hey I was only joking. Plus I think I've seen pigs fly a few times(only when the Habs win of course)

Forgive me father...

We all know what happened to the last guy that did that.

Guest shao01
We have been terrible at drafting for so many years now and that's the reason why we're always fighting for a playoff spot.

2006 - David Fischer, d

2005 - Carey Price, g

2004 - Kyle Chipchura, c

2001 - Mike Komisarek, d

- Alexander Perezhogin c

2000 - Ron Hainsey, d

- Marcel Hossa, c

1999 - Aucun

1998 - Eric Chouinard, c

1997 - Jason Ward, c-rw

1996 - Matt Higgins, c

1995 - Terry Ryan, lw

1994 - Brad Brown, c

Our last four picks still have to prove themselves but this list basically sums up why we haven't gone anywhere since 1993.

Good point, I wonder who the scout for the Habs was between 94-00'.

Guest rendez_vous
Hey I was only joking. Plus I think I've seen pigs fly a few times(only when the Habs win of course)

Forgive me father...

Ouch, a pig just hit me! Darn those creatures.

Consider yourself forgive, son. ;)

Guest Lafleurs Guy

2006 - David Fischer, d

2005 - Carey Price, g

2004 - Kyle Chipchura, c

2001 - Mike Komisarek, d

- Alexander Perezhogin c

2000 - Ron Hainsey, d

- Marcel Hossa, c

1999 - Aucun

1998 - Eric Chouinard, c

1997 - Jason Ward, c-rw

1996 - Matt Higgins, c

1995 - Terry Ryan, lw

1994 - Brad Brown, c

That's because we don't draft high enough.

25th overall draft picks don't usually turn out to be stars. If you want stars, you need to draft a lot higher. We squandered those years after losing Roy by not focusing on the draft. Instead we went for quick fixes. You can't expect to build a championship team with a bunch of 20th overall picks.

You don't get it though, it wasn't about the money.

You can't be saying that with a straight face. I'm not saying that there weren't other reasons contributing but you can't say that being offered more than 5 times the money you made last year and play at home didn't have anything to do with his decision. The NHL is great, but money talks.

Guest hatethoseleafs
We all know what happened to the last guy that did that.

True but,,,,that was done in the press. Maybe going directly to Gainey would have resulted in a different outcome?

We still own his rights but how much do you think he'll be worth once his contract expires in 2 years? He'll be an older player by then who still hasn't put up good NHL numbers. If we had traded him before he signed in Russia, he would have been more valuable in the trade market since he's still a young prospect. If he ever comes back from Russia, we won't be able to get much for him. He's just another first round prospect who we never got any value out of and If he does come back down the road, his value will have dropped considerbly.

Its all speculative whether he will have more or less value down the road. What we do know for certain is that he's not a 3 million dollar a year NHL player at this point of his career. If Gainey were to match that kind of offer, then the white coats would be lined up outside the Bell Center waiting to commit BG, not to mention the hanging parties.

You can't be saying that with a straight face. I'm not saying that there weren't other reasons contributing but you can't say that being offered more than 5 times the money you made last year and play at home didn't have anything to do with his decision. The NHL is great, but money talks.

Have to agree here. The prestige of playing in the NHL is all good but we all know that the bottom line is """"SHOW ME THE MONEY"""

To be quite honest it looks like Perezhogin is the latest scapegoat for fans to hang Carbo.

Glad to see I'm not the only one seeing it that way...

I'm failing to understand why everyone is so broken up about this guy leaving.

I understand what you are saying and the fact the he was benched and or hurt last year and we didn't play with him in the lineup

But I think what bends some people out of shape is that here is a player who turned his back on the Habs

We cant sign any quality UFA's and then one of our prospects , that people were raving about , doesn't want to play here

Guest habs_fan1160
Glad to see I'm not the only one seeing it that way...

I agree too.

I didn't really care too much for Perezhogin, he was there and that was about it.

He did have some potential yes, but he failed to show any of that.

You can't risk cap space and man space over a player who shows "some" potential, to have him span out to be a nobody in three years. Remember Hossa and Hainsey? At the time they were the "next big things" to the Canadiens.

Thank God we traded them because their existing teams are still waiting for them to display some of that potential.

I agree too.

I didn't really care too much for Perezhogin, he was there and that was about it.

He did have some potential yes, but he failed to show any of that.

You can't risk cap space and man space over a player who shows "some" potential, to have him span out to be a nobody in three years. Remember Hossa and Hainsey? At the time they were the "next big things" to the Canadiens.

Thank God we traded them because their existing teams are still waiting for them to display some of that potential.

We actually could've used Hainsey this season, but I agree with you on Hossa.

Archived