The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

42 Alexander Perezhogin

jl-1

Not to put words in Keith's mouth, but I think the intent of his post was to show that money wasn't the primary deciding factor; I think the point was missed.

From what I can tell, the point was that Perezhogin could have made that kind of money in the seasons leading up to this one by playing in Russia. Yet, he chose not to back then. Which thus makes it an intriguing situation with the sudden change in heart; what would lead him to change his mind? You can't simply right it off as coincidence when you factor in the events of the past year. At the same time, money is an obvious temptation (I don't think anyone could disagree), but has essentially proven itself not to be the "be-all, end-all" in the decision making process.

Exactly what I've been trying to say. To say money had nothing to do with the decision is obviously laughable, but no more laughable than saying it was 100% about money.

The fact is, we'll never know what was going on in his head. But I'm pretty sure of two things.

a.) had Perezhogin been offered less money than in the NHL, he would not be going to Russia

b.) had last season gone well for Perezhogin, it would be far easier to reject that contract, and I'm pretty sure he would of, like other players do all the time

Are these two points reasonable? Is it not entirely possible that Perezhogin was tempted by the money, but last season was also a major factor in his decision?

The problem with this all is though is that we're merely speculating. That sentence you've quoted from Koivu could just as easily be interpreted as saying to Bob Gainey: "This team needs help, bring it!"...but it doesn't necessarily mean that Koivu specifically wants out.

When talking about coming back he said "I don't know." followed by ''I don't want to be part of a team ..." To me, that means he wants help brought in and to no longer be a rebuilding team, as you said, but to me that also says that he is unhappy with the current situation (we are doing the opposite of what he says he wants, so I don't think its really speculating that he's not too happy with the team's direction) and it also says that if things don't change soon, he wants out.

I never said that he wants out right now, merely that he is starting to get unhappy with the team. And I also think that means that if in 2 years we're still just battling for 8th, he's gone.

The thing you're failing to see is: With those players in our line-up, (with the exception of Koivu) we were a very inefficient team this past season. The Habs paid out over $11,000,000 to 4 players and only got 40 goals for 111 points of offence in return. Compare that with the $2.2 million we paid Ryder and got 30 goals in return...that's 3/4 of the goals we got from all 4 of those players for less than 1/4 of the cost.

I don't see those playes leaving as a downside when the numbers they collectively put up are easily replaceable by kids on the farm for less money. If anything they're doing us a favor by leaving. Now we can put players in there who can be coached into the system.

It had nothing to do with money. I'm just saying the amount of controversy from a single season, is ridiculous, and must be more than coincidence that it all happened at once. I mean the sorts of things that happen, do happen from time to time even in the best situations, but all at once?

Agreed. It's also pretty sad to think that we lost Beauchemin and Hainsey so that guys like Stephane Quintal could play. I'm not trying to take anything away from Quintal but we just threw away our future on defense for an aging defenseman who had plans to retire.

To be fair, we only had so many spots and hindsight gives us a huge advantage. I still don't think Hainsey would be a great fit here, although I was always disappointed we lost Beauchemin since it happened, but even I never thought he'd be any more than a 3rd pairing defenseman. While we lose good players without giving them a great chance, we could just as easily blame the GM for giving too much of a chance to a player who doesn't work out. We can't let Montreal become a farm team that just develops anyone with potential, we gave Hainsey the chance and he failed, we can't keep waiting forever. As for Beauchemin, I agree it was a mistake not to give him a chance, but to be fair all his offensive upside he shows now (although not statistically) was never clear to us when he played in Quebec or Hamilton.

It had nothing to do with money. I'm just saying the amount of controversy from a single season, is ridiculous, and must be more than coincidence that it all happened at once. I mean the sorts of things that happen, do happen from time to time even in the best situations, but all at once?

To be fair, we only had so many spots and hindsight gives us a huge advantage. I still don't think Hainsey would be a great fit here, although I was always disappointed we lost Beauchemin since it happened, but even I never thought he'd be any more than a 3rd pairing defenseman. While we lose good players without giving them a great chance, we could just as easily blame the GM for giving too much of a chance to a player who doesn't work out. We can't let Montreal become a farm team that just develops anyone with potential, we gave Hainsey the chance and he failed, we can't keep waiting forever. As for Beauchemin, I agree it was a mistake not to give him a chance, but to be fair all his offensive upside he shows now (although not statistically) was never clear to us when he played in Quebec or Hamilton.

I'm pretty sure Hainsey was Hamiltons highest scoring defenceman ever. But this is all for another thread so I'm gonna leave it at that.

I'm pretty sure Hainsey was Hamiltons highest scoring defenceman ever. But this is all for another thread so I'm gonna leave it at that.

I said Beachemin didn't show his offensive upside.

Hainsey was given a few chances with this team and did nothing with them.

When talking about coming back he said "I don't know." followed by ''I don't want to be part of a team ..." To me, that means he wants help brought in and to no longer be a rebuilding team, as you said, but to me that also says that he is unhappy with the current situation (we are doing the opposite of what he says he wants, so I don't think its really speculating that he's not too happy with the team's direction) and it also says that if things don't change soon, he wants out.

I never said that he wants out right now, merely that he is starting to get unhappy with the team. And I also think that means that if in 2 years we're still just battling for 8th, he's gone.

Actually Graeme, you've quoted Koivu yourself in a previous post and when talking about coming back, he said: 'I want to be back, there's no question about that' and the 'I don't know' was referring to how many years are in front of him. Maybe this misunderstanding of Koivu's words is what makes you think that he asked for a trade. Here's your quote:

His exact quote "'I want to be back, there's no question about that,'But the reality is that we get older and how many years are in front of me, I don't know. ''I don't want to be part of a team that's going to rebuild and rebuild and not make the playoffs again. Hopefully, we can compete against the best and have a chance to win.''

Actually Graeme, you've quoted Koivu yourself in a previous post and when talking about coming back, he said: 'I want to be back, there's no question about that' and the 'I don't know' was referring to how many years are in front of him. Maybe this misunderstanding of Koivu's words is what makes you think that he asked for a trade. Here's your quote:

Why do you keep saying that I said he demanded a trade? I said that he's obviously starting to get upset and it sure sounds like if things don't improve in the next 2 years, he'll leave on his own. Nothing about asking for a trade now or even next season.

Why do you keep saying that I said he demanded a trade? I said that he's obviously starting to get upset and it sure sounds like if things don't improve in the next 2 years, he'll leave on his own. Nothing about asking for a trade now or even next season.

See how easily one statement can be misinterpreted? ;)

• 1 month later...
Guest voicemajor2000

This whole thing is reminiscent of Marc Tardif leavig MTL for more money in the WHA. I truly like Perezhogin, but still think he should have been content to put in a bit more time in a supportirole. With Samsonov gone, he should have realized that he has a REAL shot at being top six on this team andrightfully so. The habs brought him up to play so that he wouldn't have lost a year with the suspension from the AHL. I feel he ended up deserving his spot on the team, and should have appreciated it. Teams like the Leafs and the Red Wings always sign UFA's, and their prospects languish in their system. Look at the likes of Boyes, Ric Jackman, Sean Avery, et al. Those guys were ready at least a season before they even got a shot. They got their opportunites wth other teams, and I bet the wings and leafs would LOVE to have those guys back now. We chose to gve Perezhogin a legitimate shot even if he wasn't as deserving (like perhaps Corey Locke?). Perez played well, but I don't think he commands THAT money yet. Ryder has had back-to-back 30 goal years, and has to practically BEG to be signed, so I don't think Perezhogin's raise would have been accepted. Again, I like the guy. Just seems lre of money thing than anything. Oh Well, time to sign UFA's or give a kid from the Dogs a shot.

Guest voicemajor2000
Actually, I'm pretty sure he did serve his one-year suspension. I'm pretty sure the ban covered all pro-hockey in North America (specifically, AHL/NHL, as they are linked).

He actually spent parts of his first season with Montreal in Hamilton.

I wasn't sure if THIS year was his AHL suspension year or ot? I remember he hit stafford in the head (after stafford swung at HIM) and then he was suspended, and there was a whole hubbub about whether he'd play with MTL, because to send him somewhere lower would stunt his developement. Was THIS past season his suspension year from the A?

Actually, I'm pretty sure he did serve his one-year suspension. I'm pretty sure the ban covered all pro-hockey in North America (specifically, AHL/NHL, as they are linked).

He actually spent parts of his first season with Montreal in Hamilton.

You are both partly right here I think. I don't think they ever settled whether the suspension applied to the NHL, and I remember hearing that keeping him in the NHL was a possible option to pursue. But that was the season of the lockout, so that was obviously not pursued. He served his suspension, although fortunately Europe didn't honour it, so he played there.

Guest 1970 Habs

My son does not like this guy as he sees him in the same light as Bertuzzi and his incident.

Personally the loss of Perezhogin does not concern me as it frees up a roster spot for (hopefully) someone in Hamilton.

Guest jennifer_rocket
My son does not like this guy as he sees him in the same light as Bertuzzi and his incident.

Personally the loss of Perezhogin does not concern me as it frees up a roster spot for (hopefully) someone in Hamilton.

I think this incidence differs from the Bertuzzi incident in that it seems to have grown out of a lack of understanding/frustration for the North American style play. It's one thing to launch a pre-meditated attack on someone like a thug (Bertuzzi), but to lose one's composure in the heat of the moment like Perezhogin shows a lack of discipline and furstration with his game, or THE game. I don't know. Perezhogin's gone, he likely won't be back. Adios!

Guest ForzaHabs

Umm i'll have to side with Bertuzzi on this one, yes his action was unjust but he did not break Moore's neck it was the fact that 4 of his team-mates pilled ontop of Bertuzzi to pull him off. Crap if Bert's could punch that hard he's in the wrong sport. Perez incident was by far a lot worse then what Bertz did. Both of them got caught up in the head of the moment but to use a stick, whacking at someone's face? Not only is that severely dangerous (eye damage, jaw, nose, throat, not to mention brain damage if hit in the temples) but also very disrespectful (yes what Bertz did was wrong yada yada). The problem is the officials. If they threw Moore out and suspended him for the 1st elbow he threw at Naslund then Bertz wouldn't go after him. If Stafford go a game-misconduct (he was hacking at everyone all game long), maybe Perez wouldn't have done anything. Officals need to better at spotting things like that before they blow up.

I highly doubt Perez will come back and even if he does I wouldn't resign him. He bailed on his team and teammates, don't need that garabage here.

Guest jennifer_rocket
Umm i'll have to side with Bertuzzi on this one, yes his action was unjust but he did not break Moore's neck it was the fact that 4 of his team-mates pilled ontop of Bertuzzi to pull him off. Crap if Bert's could punch that hard he's in the wrong sport. Perez incident was by far a lot worse then what Bertz did. Both of them got caught up in the head of the moment but to use a stick, whacking at someone's face? Not only is that severely dangerous (eye damage, jaw, nose, throat, not to mention brain damage if hit in the temples) but also very disrespectful (yes what Bertz did was wrong yada yada). The problem is the officials. If they threw Moore out and suspended him for the 1st elbow he threw at Naslund then Bertz wouldn't go after him. If Stafford go a game-misconduct (he was hacking at everyone all game long), maybe Perez wouldn't have done anything. Officals need to better at spotting things like that before they blow up.

I highly doubt Perez will come back and even if he does I wouldn't resign him. He bailed on his team and teammates, don't need that garabage here.

I guess it's all subjective in determining what was worse, but we can definitely agree on one thing. No more Perezhogin = better for the team! :)

Guest twist_and_shout

It's too bad he doesn't want to be a Hab anymore. He will be missed by many for having an awesome last name and the one good goal he scored (against NYR). Hopefully Grabovski or Chipchura we be moving in to replace him.

Guest jennifer_rocket
It's too bad he doesn't want to be a Hab anymore. He will be missed by many for having an awesome last name and the one good goal he scored (against NYR). Hopefully Grabovski or Chipchura we be moving in to replace him.

GO GRABOVSKY!

Guest FREDDYBEACH HAB

You might not want him, but the brass at least made an offer to him to retain his rights. Good move, he may never play for the Habs again but we own him.

Guest overlords
You might not want him, but the brass at least made an offer to him to retain his rights. Good move, he may never play for the Habs again but we own him.

So we can atleast trade him for something like a draft pick :P or maybe to get sammy back lol :P

It's too bad he doesn't want to be a Hab anymore. He will be missed by many for having an awesome last name and the one good goal he scored (against NYR).

The goal he scored against the Leafs was better :P

Guest FREDDYBEACH HAB
So we can atleast trade him for something like a draft pick :P or maybe to get sammy back lol :P

We'll at least get something for him. You never know what tomorrow will bring. Plus if we ever go to expansion again and we stil have him can put him up as available.

Guest devils_fury2

I sort of feel for the guy and I really don't blame him if he doesn't want too play for the Habs ever again....the guy had tremendous offensive potential but Carbonneau always had him on the third or fourth line and he hardly ever had him on the power play, he showed this year he can play good defensive hockey as well but not once did he get a chance on the penalty kill, instead he put Mark Streit on the penalty kill as a forward and also leading scorer Michael Ryder was used on the penalty kill quicker then Perezhogin....maybe I'm wrong and maybe Perezhogin wouldn't have provided the offence for Montreal that I think he could, but at the very least I think the guy could have become the type of player Marcel Hossa has become in New York, a guy who will play on third line, but was getting power play time with the likes of Mikael Nylander and Jaromir Jagr and he was also getting penalty killing time

Archived