The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

42 Alexander Perezhogin

jl-1

Guest habfansham
I sort of feel for the guy and I really don't blame him if he doesn't want too play for the Habs ever again....the guy had tremendous offensive potential but Carbonneau always had him on the third or fourth line and he hardly ever had him on the power play, he showed this year he can play good defensive hockey as well but not once did he get a chance on the penalty kill, instead he put Mark Streit on the penalty kill as a forward and also leading scorer Michael Ryder was used on the penalty kill quicker then Perezhogin....maybe I'm wrong and maybe Perezhogin wouldn't have provided the offence for Montreal that I think he could, but at the very least I think the guy could have become the type of player Marcel Hossa has become in New York, a guy who will play on third line, but was getting power play time with the likes of Mikael Nylander and Jaromir Jagr and he was also getting penalty killing time

I really don't like how Carbo treated the guy, he didn't deserve it. As I pointed out in another thread, just wanted to wish Perez a happy 24th birthday, all the best to you buddy. I guess the Habs will simply lament over ANOTHER prospect they let slip away. Lord knows there have been plenty of them and to hear some folks on this board, are content to make the same mistakes.

Guest jennifer_rocket
Perezhogin had 4 goals in 2 preseason games for his new team Salavat.

I'm sure in a few months we'll have his season stats posted and he'll have 30 goals, or so. Tearing up the league, people will wonder how we let him go. Darn shame, he never had a real opportunity here to show his stuff.

Guest passer_by

Alex was named a VIP of that russian tourmanet, I beleive. Happy for him. Something is not right inside the Habs. Samsonov stopped playing being in Habs, Ribeiro had a great season, collecting more points then our Kovalev,after we got rid of him. Perez is going nuts in Russia already !!! What the heck is happening inside the Habs ?????

That is very sad :( . We unable to use talanted people or what?????????

Alex was named a VIP of that russian tourmanet, I beleive. Happy for him. Something is not right inside the Habs. Samsonov stopped playing being in Habs, Ribeiro had a great season, collecting more points then our Kovalev,after we got rid of him. Perez is going nuts in Russia already !!! What the heck is happening inside the Habs ?????

We had the wrong mindset behind the bench for those skilled Russian types. Hopefully they've learned for next season.

Guest devils_fury2

I think atleast part of the reason is coach Carbonneau, because he is just a little bit to much of a defensive minded coach and he doesn't like to take advantage of having the skilled offensive players like a Perezhogin, Kovalev, or even a Samsonov because those three guys thrive on the offensive style....don't get me wrong it is good to play a good defensive style, but with players like that u have to utilize their strengths.......I mean come on, last year I went to see Montreal in Ottawa in that Hockey Day in Canada game where Montreal got bombed 8-3, the Canadiens weren't doing anything offensively until Carbonneau put together the Perezhogin Samsonov Kovalev line...I forget if any of the three scored a goal (I don't think so unless Kovalev did on the power play) but those three were always in Ottawas zone and taken shot after shot after shot...it just doesn't suprise me when players with that much skill get frusterated (and asks to be traded or released) with a coach like Carbonneau who doesn't let them play their style of game

Guest Miltie01

Good for Perry with his four goals.

Just remember he did it in that Russian league where it is more like pond hockey.

There is no worries there about being clobbered, and the guy has a ton more space on the bigger ice surface.

Ultimately maybe he is more suited to that league, rather than the NHL.

Guest passer_by
Just remember he did it in that Russian league where it is more like pond hockey.

You call Russian Super League a pond hockey? It is a TOP Russian league. Kovy, Markov, Malkin, Ovechkin, Datsyuk and all others Russian players from there. So I don't understand what do you mean by "pond hockey". ;)

Guest jennifer_rocket
You call Russian Super League a pond hockey? It is a TOP Russian league. Kovy, Markov, Malkin, Ovechkin, Datsyuk and all others Russian players from there. So I don't understand what do you mean by "pond hockey". ;)

I guess he just means the games are more "open". There's not as tight checking in the Russian league, as far as I've heard. I don't know if there's any truth to that.

Guest xe_liam88

Yeh all these reasons are bull crap...perezhogin was given ample opportunity and he nnever took adavantage of it...you need to strut your stuff before you can be put on the top 6 and he didnt do that. In Russia players dont focus on defence...a very select few of good russian defensive D-man have emerged.....so its easy to see how he could be playing well offensively!

Yeh all these reasons are bull crap...perezhogin was given ample opportunity and he nnever took adavantage of it...you need to strut your stuff before you can be put on the top 6 and he didnt do that. In Russia players dont focus on defence...a very select few of good russian defensive D-man have emerged.....so its easy to see how he could be playing well offensively!
IMO he didn't really get a chance to strut his stuff in Carbo's defensive system. and his time on the first line was rather limited I believe. He did what was expected in a defensive role as far as I'm concerned.

IMO he didn't really get a chance to strut his stuff in Carbo's defensive system. and his time on the first line was rather limited I believe. He did what was expected in a defensive role as far as I'm concerned.

When he did strut his stuff he got demoted. :(

Guest Miltie01
The Russian and European Superleagues certainly deserve a lot more respect than that.

When compared to the NHL where real hockey is played...I don't think so.

Guest Tony Montana

Miltie wat are u saying. Russian hockey league is the 2nd best league in the world and sweedish,Findish league are not far behind. They play there own stay hockey, and it is not pond hockey. Finnaly i dont see Canada winning gold every year in hockey for Olympics or World Champion Chip. Now ur gonna say the hole team is filled with nhl roster players, which that again is wrong. only team canada and us are like that. Findland won they had atleast 5 unkown players on there team.

Guest matt_the_fan

Real hockey? Haha, you speak of it like if it were as easy as drinking a glass of water. Well, you see, out of the 100,000 Junior AAA Hockey players in the whole world, only 270 of them get taken each year in the NHL.

Guest JIMVINNY
Miltie wat are u saying. Russian hockey league is the 2nd best league in the world and sweedish,Findish league are not far behind. They play there own stay hockey, and it is not pond hockey. Finnaly i dont see Canada winning gold every year in hockey for Olympics or World Champion Chip. Now ur gonna say the hole team is filled with nhl roster players, which that again is wrong. only team canada and us are like that. Findland won they had atleast 5 unkown players on there team.

I'm not going to agree with the "NHL is the only real hockey" comment, but you have to acknowledge the fact that europeans play a completely different game that what is played here. The ice is different, the rules are different, and the referees are very different. If you put those international tournaments on North American ice surfaces, with North American rules and refs, Canada would win gold every year. Those countries you mentioned would not be able to use their speed as effectively, and you would see Canadian and American teams consistenly dominating Europeans teams. The fact that Canada does as well as they do in international competitions is a testament to their ability to adapt.

Guest overlords
I'm not going to agree with the "NHL is the only real hockey" comment, but you have to acknowledge the fact that europeans play a completely different game that what is played here. The ice is different, the rules are different, and the referees are very different. If you put those international tournaments on North American ice surfaces, with North American rules and refs, Canada would win gold every year. Those countries you mentioned would not be able to use their speed as effectively, and you would see Canadian and American teams consistenly dominating Europeans teams. The fact that Canada does as well as they do in international competitions is a testament to their ability to adapt.

Well said. Quoted for truth.

Guest Miltie01

Europe produces some very fine hockey players, don't get me wrong.

We produce players that are just as good and can still do it with the threat of being beaten by big bodies , all while being responsable in our own end. While big sweeping generilizations are rarely true, the fact of the matter is European players do have a harder time adjusting to the NHL in most cases. And the NHL is the best league in the world, even European hockey players admit that !!!!

Archived