The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Sheldon Souray

jl-1

Guest CanadianMike

It is pretty easy to say Markov is (obviously) a better Dman, but I don't know if I was a GM I would love to have SOURAY around. On and OFF the ice. Does Markov even talk? :P I want a leader on and off the ice.

Souray will have a great season in Edmonton. GO SOURAY GO!!!

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It is pretty easy to say Markov is (obviously) a better Dman, but I don't know if I was a GM I would love to have SOURAY around. On and OFF the ice. Does Markov even talk? :P I want a leader on and off the ice.

Souray will have a great season in Edmonton. GO SOURAY GO!!!

According to Komisarek Markov never shuts up when he is on the ice.

I wish Souray all the best (I have no grudge against him) but I'm happy with how things worked with the Markov/Souray situation (if the Habs could only keep one).

Guest CanadianMike
According to Komisarek Markov never shuts up when he is on the ice.

I wish Souray all the best (I have no grudge against him) but I'm happy with how things worked with the Markov/Souray situation (if the Habs could only keep one).

mummbling in Russian doesn't count. :blink::lol:

I know it won't take long (once training camp and the season start) for us to read some young Oilers saying how much of a leader he is.

Guest Miltie01
mummbling in Russian doesn't count. :blink::lol:

I know it won't take long (once training camp and the season start) for us to read some young Oilers saying how much of a leader he is.

Leadership comes in many shapes and forms. Larry Robinson reveals that Henri Richard said very little in the dressing room, but one look in his eyes would tell you if you were giving enough to the team.

Guest CanadianMike
lol...I thought I read Komisareck say that in 2 years as his D partner , Markov never said a word to him

you see...it was all in Russian..Komi didn't understand more than 2 words! :P

The puck moving two-way defenders on the UFA market brought home a lot more than the one dimensional offensive defenders.

And I really don't find Souray to be all that gritty, he can fight, but he is not an overly physical defender.

I like Souray I wish he had stayed, but not for 5.5, 5.4, or anything over 4...especially at 4-5 years.

Agreed. Even though his market value was obviously more, I wouldn't feel comfortable with anything more than 3 year, 10 million deal.

You think you miss him, ask Saku, who will be fodder this year without Sheldon.

Uh Sheldon didn't make Saku. Saku would miss Markov if he left, or Ryder, but not really Souray.

Guest habs_fan1160
Does Markov even talk?

Apparently he's a pretty social guy, he just won't talk with the media because he's trying to keep his life in Montreal about the hockey and doesn't need any rumours spread about him.

Well everything is blending together now. I can't pinpoint what was from what article, and some of the stuff may have just been speculation (was that "7th most important player" thing from his mouth or just made up?) The impression I get though is that he feels the need to still be considered the good guy in Montreal by making it sound like all he ever wanted to do was play here and we didn't give him the chance or something. I just wish he could say "Edmonton gave me a great offer, better than other teams including Montreal, and they are a great team, so I choose to come here". I wouldn't think any less of him had he just been completely honest.

I was actually so impressed with him in the past when he said stuf flike "Markov and Rivet are more important than me" and "I'm not worth over 5 million". When he signed for a better offer, I thought, well maybe he was putting on a bit of a show with those statements, but oh well I can't blame him. But after he did this, he didn't need to continue trying to sound like the perfect team player for Montreal.

lol! A few corrections first:

1. Souray said that Markov should be the Canadiens top priority. I really don't recall him ever saying that Rivet was more important than him and if he did, it had to be a joke.
  2. Souray did say that he wasn't worth $6 million, not 5... and that was BEFORE Markov signed for $5.75 million a year.
As for him saying that Edmonton gave him a better deal, why would he say that? The deals were somewhat comparable as our deal could have been negotiated to resemble the Oilers' but again, we shut the door on the first offer and Souray was honest enough to admit it. Whether we agree with that or not, it was the deal breaker right there. Now people can find things to pound on him but honesty and integrity is not one of them. B)

1. Souray said that Markov should be the Canadiens top priority. I really don't recall him ever saying that Rivet was more important than him and if he did, it had to be a joke.

I swear he threw Rivet in there. I think he just meant because Rivet has been here forever and was such a great leader that he'd be more of a priority in signing (granted I think it was a little over the top, I'm far from Soruay's biggest fan, but he is worth more than Rivet)

Souray did say that he wasn't worth $6 million, not 5... and that was BEFORE Markov signed for $5.75 million a year.

Sorry you're right, it was 6. And it was before Markov's deal, although I dobut things would have gone differently if Markov weren't a UFA this year.

As for him saying that Edmonton gave him a better deal, why would he say that? The deals were somewhat comparable as our deal could have been negotiated to resemble the Oilers' but again, we shut the door on the first offer and Souray was honest enough to admit it. Whether we agree with that or not, it was the deal breaker right there. Now people can find things to pound on him but honesty and integrity is not one of them. B)

The Edmonton deal was significantly better from his perspective financially. Extra money per year, one extra year on the deal (significant for him considering he's aging, coming off a career season, and injury prone), and don't forget the huge tax difference. Considering that Montreal and Edmonton have the same salary cap, it is unrealistic to expect that Montreal could give Soruay the same net income, they'd have to completely overpay him. Basically, unless Souray took less money, he was leaving.

You obviously have your opinion that it was simply a matter of him feeling insulted, I feel that was just an excuse and he left for more money, and we'll never know for sure. As for honesty, neither you or I really have much idea of how honest he is. At times I thought he was honest, at other times I thought he really just said what people wanted to hear.

Guest Maniaque
You obviously have your opinion that it was simply a matter of him feeling insulted, I feel that was just an excuse and he left for more money, and we'll never know for sure. As for honesty, neither you or I really have much idea of how honest he is. At times I thought he was honest, at other times I thought he really just said what people wanted to hear.

At my job we sign one-year contracts for the first 3 years (I believe). If, when I go to the human ressource to sign my next contract, they offer me far less than I was hoping to get, and I know for certain that another employer will offer me something more to my liking ... to make a short story, I quit and join a new team. Souray did exactly that, and I believe he did the right thing.

Guest ALBERTAhabsfan
Uh Sheldon didn't make Saku. Saku would miss Markov if he left, or Ryder, but not really Souray.

And you know this how,have you asked saku on how he felt,both of them were close friends including rivet in case you didn't know!

Guest ALBERTAhabsfan

LOL ,maybe SS 44 will explain it to some of you in a private message if your nice to him.

Gotta love some of the postings about sheldon,makes for a good and halarious read!

LOL ,maybe SS 44 will explain it to some of you in a private message if your nice to him.

Gotta love some of the postings about sheldon,makes for a good and halarious read!

If Shelley reads this board, and if there was a way to prove who he really is, there's nothing I'd love more than to have him PM me. As a matter of fact, I'm waiting for the Canucks' tickets to go on sale to get 4 tickets for the Feb.16/08 game at GM place when the Oilers face the Canucks, just to watch him play as I can't care less about the Oilers! :D

2. Souray did say that he wasn't worth $6 million, not 5... and that was BEFORE Markov signed for $5.75 million a year.

lol! Actually he did say Rivet too....

"Rivs (Craig Rivet) has been here a long time, loves playing here and I'm sure he wants to retire a Hab. Whatever he gets, he's going to deserve. That leaves me and Janne (Niinimaa), so we'll see.

source: http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news...3a-36fda4244762

And you know this how,have you asked saku on how he felt,both of them were close friends including rivet in case you didn't know!

He was talking about on the ice, not in terms of who Saku was a better friend with, he's saying losing Markov or Ryder would hurt Saku's production more. I think you misunderstood him.

Where does it say that Rivet is more important than him though, which is what Graeme was saying? ;)

"Bob's got to start with Markov," Souray told the Montreal Gazette. "Rivs (Craig Rivet) has been here a long time, loves playing here and I'm sure he wants to retire a Hab. Whatever he gets, he's going to deserve. That leaves me and Janne (Niinimaa), so we'll see. It's hard to predict."

(http://www2.sportsnet.ca/blogs/hockey_hearsay/2006/11/27/markov_a_priority_over_souray/)

It's a little cryptic what he says about Rivet, but the way I interpreted it was that Markov was priority #1 and Rivet was priority #2.

"Bob's got to start with Markov," Souray told the Montreal Gazette. "Rivs (Craig Rivet) has been here a long time, loves playing here and I'm sure he wants to retire a Hab. Whatever he gets, he's going to deserve. That leaves me and Janne (Niinimaa), so we'll see. It's hard to predict."

(http://www2.sportsnet.ca/blogs/hockey_hearsay/2006/11/27/markov_a_priority_over_souray/)

It's a little cryptic what he says about Rivet, but the way I interpreted it was that Markov was priority #1 and Rivet was priority #2.

He didn't say that Rivet was more important. That's reading between the lines and even you admitted that he couldn't be serious about it. :P:lol:

I swear he threw Rivet in there. I think he just meant because Rivet has been here forever and was such a great leader that he'd be more of a priority in signing (granted I think it was a little over the top, I'm far from Soruay's biggest fan, but he is worth more than Rivet)

I know Rivet was his best friend, and Koivu didn't fall apart after he left. People move away from their friends all the time in life, they don't just suddenly stop being able to perform their job. I simply meant on the ice, Souray didn't have a whole lot to do with Saku's game.

At my job we sign one-year contracts for the first 3 years (I believe). If, when I go to the human ressource to sign my next contract, they offer me far less than I was hoping to get, and I know for certain that another employer will offer me something more to my liking ... to make a short story, I quit and join a new team. Souray did exactly that, and I believe he did the right thing.

I have no problem with what Souray did, he had every right to. And it happens all the time in the real world. When I work with engineering types, most of them jump around between companies all the time. Sometimes for money, new experiences, etc.

But ... if someone goes to their manager and gets a nice contract for around 2.5x as much money as their last contract, but it's a bit lower then they'd get from other companies, if they really want to stay with the company, they'll try to negotiate that up, not just walk out the door. If they just say "I can get more elsewhere" and leave, that's fine, but it doesn't exactly say to me that they really were committed to that company.

He didn't say that Rivet was more important. That's reading between the lines and even you admitted that he couldn't be serious about it. :P:lol:

Sort of reading between the lines, but I'm really not sure what else he meant by it. Now whether he was joking or lying (trying to show himself as the true "team guy") by basically saying Markov and Rivet will be re-signed, then it's a group with him and Ninimaa, I have no clue.

We killed any possible deal by offering under $5 million the first time up, regardless of the length of the contract.

No matter how many times you say it, I'll disagree. There's simply too much more too it than that. Had he signed for something $6 million and above, I'd be inclined to agree with you, but when the difference between the salary offered and the salary taken is less than $1 million, I don't think it's a slap in the face unless you're talking about a guy set to make about $2 million a season (which is evidently not the case).

Archived