The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Sheldon Souray

jl-1

Guest Miltie01

This will be a lovely thread. Pro Souray and anti-Souray camps sniping back and forth !!!!

I hope Sheldon does well, he deserves it.

We will be absolutely fine without him, not to deminish what he contributed to the team, but we will be fine.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm happy to hear Souray got a goal with the Oilers.

I didn't see the game, so I don't know how he cost the Oilers the game..

Honestly, I will miss Souray on our team. I would have liked him to stay, but, hey, you can't always get what you want.

Like stevesaku mentioned, 28 other teams don't have Souray on their PP either (though some have better :P).

Best of luck to Souray in Edmonton!

(by the way, could someone clarify Souray's "mistake" ? Giveaway?)

I'm happy to hear Souray got a goal with the Oilers.

I didn't see the game, so I don't know how he cost the Oilers the game..

Honestly, I will miss Souray on our team. I would have liked him to stay, but, hey, you can't always get what you want.

Like stevesaku mentioned, 28 other teams don't have Souray on their PP either (though some have better :P).

Best of luck to Souray in Edmonton!

(by the way, could someone clarify Souray's "mistake" ? Giveaway?)

he got the puck stolen from him at the entrance of the offensive zone ... plain and simple

This will be a lovely thread. Pro Souray and anti-Souray camps sniping back and forth !!!!

We will be absolutely fine without him, not to deminish what he contributed to the team, but we will be fine.

The hate towards Souray is simply mind boggling... with what he's done for this team over the years, especially the past few seasons when he finally got to play pretty much injury free. :rolleyes:

Guest lfrommtl

i dont hate the guy but i wasnt a fan either.

yeah i hope he does well too, but in all fairness im kinda happy hes costing other teams goals instead of costing us goals.

Guest 1970 Habs
The hate towards Souray is simply mind boggling... with what he's done for this team over the years, especially the past few seasons when he finally got to play pretty much injury free. :rolleyes:

Sadly some people in the world prefer to see the worst in people.

i dont hate the guy but i wasnt a fan either.

yeah i hope he does well too, but in all fairness im kinda happy hes costing other teams goals instead of costing us goals.

Basically how I feel. I don't hate Souray, he seems like a good guy and was nice to have on the PP. At 1.7 million or whatever he made, I was fine with him, not a big fan, but he was good to have. But now when you're talking about a long term, 5 million deal, I really want nothing to do with him.

Are you sure? Someone just said that he scored on the PP... :blink:

Which does not give him a + rating. Then he was on the ice for the 5-5 game winning goal.

Btw, I am not bashing Souray. Just pointing out what we are or aren't missing.

When the PP starts to suffer this year , people will say how much they miss Sheldon

If it starts to suffer. Remember we had a pretty good powerplay even when Souray wasn't scoring over 20 goals. I've been as hard on our coaches and teams overall skill level as anybody, but give them some credit. That top powerplay wasn't just because of Souray, he helped, but it wasn't just because of him. Now Hamrlik or Komi or someone isn't going to come in and just replace Souray's 26 goals, but our PP can adjust, use different tactics, and do just as well. You'll probalby see Souray's goals divided among others, Markov will get a few more, the forwards will get some more, etc. That said, it probably will suffer slightly, but 5 on 5 Hamrlik should be a huge improvement, both offensively and defensively, and I think anything we lose on the PP will easily be made up for 5 on 5.

And if the Powerplay suffers, so what? What did this great powerplay get us exactly? I don't know about you, but I wasn't out celebrating our 10th place finish. We need to improve, not just keep the status quo.

Basically how I feel. I don't hate Souray, he seems like a good guy and was nice to have on the PP. At 1.7 million or whatever he made, I was fine with him, not a big fan, but he was good to have. But now when you're talking about a long term, 5 million deal, I really want nothing to do with him.

But who cares about his contract, as it's the Oilers paying it. It still fails to justify the negative comments on Souray NOW, with what he's done for this franchise.

Me think it's frustration 'cause he isn't playing here anymore.

Which does not give him a + rating. Then he was on the ice for the 5-5 game winning goal.

Btw, I am not bashing Souray. Just pointing out what we are or aren't missing.

I wasn't questioning the +/- as I know fully well how it works :P but you were saying in that quote that he only had one assist, when he also had a goal apparently. ;)

But who cares about his contract, as it's the Oilers paying it. It still fails to justify the negative comments on Souray NOW, with what he's done for this franchise.

But salary does affect how "good" we think a player is. Look at Kubina in Toronto, the reason we all think he "sucks" is because he's making 5 million. Were he a 1 million player he'd look great.

lol....it got us 10 th place

Without the PP , we probably would have been worse

Should our goal really be to "not get worse" when we came in 10th? :P We're not Leafs fans.

since we have trouble scoring 5 on 5

And so we replaced Souray with a guy who might help us in that area.

But salary does affect how "good" we think a player is. Look at Kubina in Toronto, the reason we all think he "sucks" is because he's making 5 million. Were he a 1 million player he'd look great.

Sorry Graeme, a salary doesn't change the way the player plays if he's already performing at the best of his abilities, whether he's getting $500,000 or $10 million. The expectations may change for some, but the on-ice performance will remain the same. Some may expect Bobby Orr, that he is not.

Sorry Graeme, a salary doesn't change the way the player plays if he's already performing at the best of his abilities, whether he's getting $500,000 or $10 million. The expectations may change for some, but the on-ice performance will remain the same. Some may expect Bobby Orr, that he is not.

No it doesn't, but I'm just talking about how "good" you think a player is and how much you "like" a player (as a player, not as a person). I do think salary affects that.

No it doesn't, but I'm just talking about how "good" you think a player is and how much you "like" a player (as a player, not as a person). I do think salary affects that.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. :)

Guest stevesaku

certain expectations come with certain salaries. that is certain. just look at patrice brisebois.

Guest SHELDON SOURAY 44
certain expectations come with certain salaries. that is certain. just look at patrice brisebois.

More like certain fans/media who ran him[patrice] out of town are now embracing him!

Nothing like stabbing somebody in the back and then doing a 180 and praising him years after because he can somehow help the team now. :P

This morning's Journal de Montreal headline was "MISSING SHELDON SOURAY ALREADY!" (Habs' PP problems yesterday night)

Not surprised.

We'll keep hearing that phrase everytime we don't score on a PP.

but yeah, Habs did have problems yesterday night (there were a few times I was thinking "If Souray was on the ice right now, that slapshot by Markov/Kovalev/whoever, would've went in".)

Souray decided to sign with Edmonton. Gainey gave him his offer and he declined.

It's not as if we wanted to get rid of Souray and now it's coming and biting us in the butt.

He made his decision, that's it, that's all.

Again, best of luck to Souray in Edmonton. :)

Watch the language please.

JL.

Guest Miltie01
This morning's Journal de Montreal headline was "MISSING SHELDON SOURAY ALREADY!" (Habs' PP problems yesterday night)

What is the Journal de Montreal missing in this equation ?

Murray Wilson has said that they haven't developed the power play plans as of yet in camp. So far it has basically just seeing what skills different players bring. After the cuts are made they will formulate PP plans based on the skills shown. We still don't know if not having Sheldon will be that big of a problem. Myself, I do not think we will be devastated. I think our PP can be as solid as it was the year before last when we were 5th overall in the league.

Without Sheldon we may not have the number 1 PP but a 5th rank PP is not too shabby.

Guest ALBERTAhabsfan

Opinions are opinions,but consistant negativity from alot of these posters here is just plain out bashing!

No different than what happened with brisebois,he got the same treatment when he left,now that he's back,the

negativity has turned into a worship session until he makes his first mistake,then you'll see the negativity start with him again!!

Guest ALBERTAhabsfan
What is the Journal de Montreal missing in this equation ?

Murray Wilson has said that they haven't developed the power play plans as of yet in camp. So far it has basically just seeing what skills different players bring. After the cuts are made they will formulate PP plans based on the skills shown. We still don't know if not having Sheldon will be that big of a problem. Myself, I do not think we will be devastated. I think our PP can be as solid as it was the year before last when we were 5th overall in the league.

Without Sheldon we may not have the number 1 PP but a 5th rank PP is not too shabby.

Who cares if we were a 5th place powerplay team last year,it got us nothing,last year was last year and has no relevance to what may happen this year.

Teams around us got a bit stronger while we have pretty much stayed the same,i see no improvement 5 on 5.

Archived