The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Sheldon Souray

jl-1

Guest ALBERTAhabsfan
More like certain fans/media who ran him[patrice] out of town are now embracing him!

Nothing like stabbing somebody in the back and then doing a 180 and praising him years after because he can somehow help the team now. :P

Joe,i agree!

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Miltie01
Who cares if we were a 5th place powerplay team last year,it got us nothing,last year was last year and has no relevance to what may happen this year.

Teams around us got a bit stronger while we have pretty much stayed the same,i see no improvement 5 on 5.

Posters were complaining our PP was going to be a bust without Sheldon......the facts say that is far from the truth.

And this team is better 5 on 5, whether you see it or not !!!!

Smolinski wins face offs, easier to score when you have the puck !!!

Full year of Higgins, he started off on fire, then got injured.

Pleks having confidence from the start, means a great half season becomes a full one !!!

A. Kostitsyn in the line up for a full year, instead of Sammy dogging it for most of the year !!!

Better goaltending, these three should offer better than what we got last season.

Kovalev looks to be interested this pre season, if that continues we are automatically going to score more 5 on 5 !!!

While it looks to be the same team, it is in many significant ways very different.

Opinions are opinions,but consistant negativity from alot of these posters here is just plain out bashing!

No different than what happened with brisebois,he got the same treatment when he left,now that he's back,the

negativity has turned into a worship session until he makes his first mistake,then you'll see the negativity start with him again!!

That's not what happened with Brisebois. He got the constant negativity when he was here, he was praised when he left (in the "thank God he's gone" sort of way). And it was far from a bunch of worship when he re-signed. It was either "stupid idea" or "well I guess it can't hurt". And as I said earlier, Brisebois playing a bottom 3 role making under a million is a very different player than the 4 million #1 dman we had supposedly signed before.

That's not what happened with Brisebois. He got the constant negativity when he was here, he was praised when he left (in the "thank God he's gone" sort of way). And it was far from a bunch of worship when he re-signed. It was either "stupid idea" or "well I guess it can't hurt". And as I said earlier, Brisebois playing a bottom 3 role making under a million is a very different player than the 4 million #1 dman we had supposedly signed before.

Which is exactly why I'm saying that in most cases, the negative comments on Souray are mostly based out of frustration because he chose to re-sign elsewhere. :D

Which is exactly why I'm saying that in most cases, the negative comments on Souray are mostly based out of frustration because he chose to re-sign elsewhere. :D

Oh I don't argue that. There was nowhere near this much negativity before he left. I don't think he's a 5 million player (in terms of what he brings to the team, not necessarily market value), and I'd be saying the same thing were he here though.

Guest CanadianMike

HAHA I agree. Last season most fans were saying "SOURAY IS DA MAN!" He signs with the Oilers and the same people are saying "I NEVER LIKED SOURAY..we don't need him".

I hope he can help the Oilers make the playoffs. GO SHELLY!! :P

Guest 1970 Habs
Posters were complaining our PP was going to be a bust without Sheldon......the facts say that is far from the truth.

And this team is better 5 on 5, whether you see it or not !!!!

Smolinski wins face offs, easier to score when you have the puck !!!

Full year of Higgins, he started off on fire, then got injured.

Pleks having confidence from the start, means a great half season becomes a full one !!!

A. Kostitsyn in the line up for a full year, instead of Sammy dogging it for most of the year !!!

Better goaltending, these three should offer better than what we got last season.

Kovalev looks to be interested this pre season, if that continues we are automatically going to score more 5 on 5 !!!

While it looks to be the same team, it is in many significant ways very different.

Why is it people miss the obvious about the 5 on 5. That is Hamrlik is a good puck moving defenceman something that Sheldon really wasn't. While hamrlik may not be as effective as Sheldon on the power play he will be more effective defensively and moving the puck to the forwards.

Let's face it everyone Sheldon is gone. He did a lot for this club and should be given due credit. This continuing argument is getting old. Can we move on?

HAHA I agree. Last season most fans were saying "SOURAY IS DA MAN!" He signs with the Oilers and the same people are saying "I NEVER LIKED SOURAY..we don't need him".

I hope he can help the Oilers make the playoffs. GO SHELLY!! :P

He couldn't even help US make the playoffs ; how do you expect him to lead the Oilers to the playoffs?

Guest CanadianMike
He couldn't even help US make the playoffs ; how do you expect him to lead the Oilers to the playoffs?

uhhhhh maybe the Oilers won't get the flu bug, they might not have samsonov/kovalev type issues in Edmonton, they don't have ABBY as a goalie. :lol:

anything is possible..no? :mellow:

uhhhhh maybe the Oilers won't get the flu bug, they might not have samsonov/kovalev type issues in Edmonton, they don't have ABBY as a goalie. :lol:

anything is possible..no? :mellow:

Yeah, but the Oilers still finished worse than us last season - even with our flu bug, Samsonov issues & our goaltending problem called David Aebischer :lol:

Guest CanadianMike
Yeah, but the Oilers still finished worse than us last season - even with our flu bug, Samsonov issues & our goaltending problem called David Aebischer :lol:

Ok you are not making any sense because I am talking about this upcoming season. ;) GO SOURAY!!!

Ok you are not making any sense because I am talking about this upcoming season. ;) GO SOURAY!!!

Yes but what did the Oilers do this offseason apart from signing Dustin Penner (who cost them quite a few draft picks) and Mathieu Garon? Are they really better than the 2006-07 Habs who MISSED the playoffs?

To be fair he didn't use the word "lead". Souray could certainly help a team get into the playoffs, he brings some great things to the table. I think that a more well rounded player will bring more value for the $5 million range, but even if he's not the best value, Souray will help the Oilers. I don't think there were many people who wouldn't want Souray for the price we had him last year, it was his pricetage that turned a lot of people off, but even at 5 million, he'll help his team (although not as much as I think Hammer is going to help us :P )

To be fair he didn't use the word "lead". Souray could certainly help a team get into the playoffs, he brings some great things to the table. I think that a more well rounded player will bring more value for the $5 million range, but even if he's not the best value, Souray will help the Oilers. I don't think there were many people who wouldn't want Souray for the price we had him last year, it was his pricetage that turned a lot of people off, but even at 5 million, he'll help his team (although not as much as I think Hammer is going to help us :P )

Okay, okay. He didn't say lead. Yes, he will help the Oilers in some ways, but will he help them make the playoffs? My answer to that last question is still no.

Guest Miltie01
Why is it people miss the obvious about the 5 on 5. That is Hamrlik is a good puck moving defenceman something that Sheldon really wasn't. While hamrlik may not be as effective as Sheldon on the power play he will be more effective defensively and moving the puck to the forwards.

Let's face it everyone Sheldon is gone. He did a lot for this club and should be given due credit. This continuing argument is getting old. Can we move on?

I didn't mention the defense because I didn't want to fuel the fire !!!!

Yes, I think our transition should be better this season.

That being said Sheldon would have been a fine part of this season's crew as well .

Guest Habs_Mania

Eventually some genious is going to convert souray to forward, imagine having that guy to set up for a one timer on rushes every night? He is a great leader of a player who happens to play the wrong position for his strengths and weaknesses. Never know, maybe mctavish will give it a shot and he could do alot of damage for the oilers.

Eventually some genious is going to convert souray to forward, imagine having that guy to set up for a one timer on rushes every night? He is a great leader of a player who happens to play the wrong position for his strengths and weaknesses. Never know, maybe mctavish will give it a shot and he could do alot of damage for the oilers.

I completely agree!I've been saying this for ages! He's not as tied to defensive play and has that good strength, a large frame, good hands, strong shooting. When the powerplay comes just toss this man back on the point.

I don't understand the sudden hate of Sheldon, he's a good guy who gave it his all for this team for a lot of years. Yes he has several holes in his game, and to be honest I'm very happy he left at that price, no way would I want to see Souray being paid that much, over that period of time here.

With that being said, I wish the guy the best, he seemed like a good man, and him leaving is just the business.

I don't understand the sudden hate of Sheldon, he's a good guy who gave it his all for this team for a lot of years. Yes he has several holes in his game, and to be honest I'm very happy he left at that price, no way would I want to see Souray being paid that much, over that period of time here.

With that being said, I wish the guy the best, he seemed like a good man, and him leaving is just the business.

Amen!

Thank you, roy_133.

It's time for all of us to move on, to stop the bickering, and to stop with the redundant arguments. It's getting old.

Souray did a lot for this team over the years. He has his ups and downs, positives and negatives, but quite frankly we don't need to debate that any further.

Whether you choose to wish him the best or not, remain respectful. Like you and I, he's just a simple human being. Just because he is gone doesn't commend the bashing of his character. Likewise, just because he was no re-signed is no reason knock on Carbonneau and Gainey, the organization, or the fans.

As roy_133 mentioned, it's all in the business of hockey. Two sides couldn't come to a mutual agreement, and both parties found what they wanted elsewhere. Plain and simple.

With all this said, if the attitudes in this thread don't change fast, it will be closed and warnings will be issued. That applies to everyone.

Guest ALBERTAhabsfan
Thank you, roy_133.

It's time for all of us to move on, to stop the bickering, and to stop with the redundant arguments. It's getting old.

Souray did a lot for this team over the years. He has his ups and downs, positives and negatives, but quite frankly we don't need to debate that any further.

Whether you choose to wish him the best or not, remain respectful. Like you and I, he's just a simple human being. Just because he is gone doesn't commend the bashing of his character. Likewise, just because he was no re-signed is no reason knock on Carbonneau and Gainey, the organization, or the fans.

As roy_133 mentioned, it's all in the business of hockey. Two sides couldn't come to a mutual agreement, and both parties found what they wanted elsewhere. Plain and simple.

With all this said, if the attitudes in this thread don't change fast, it will be closed and warnings will be issued. That applies to everyone.

JOE,aka SS 44 said the exact same thing over and over about the negative garbage posters here had to say about sheldon,and his post gets removed?

He simply asked that maybe a mod can close this thread because of childish behaviour,he never bashed any poster here about it.

Can a mod explain this to me,because i honestly think that he isn't the problem here,many others are!

Archived