The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Aaron Downey

jl-1

Wasn't it Downey who said he'd give his life for this team?

I really like him, I hope we have room for him this offseason to at least keep around as 13th guy. Even if he doesn't play a lot, he's just happy to be a part of this team and that goal is really special for him.

Although maybe he should try fighting someone his size next time.

Guest 4beforeorr

Congrat's to Downey. Scores a goal, on 2 shot's on net, and has a fight, all in the grand total 1:37 of ice time. Not bad for a guy who play's what, 2 games a month?

I would like to have heard the conversation, on the bench, between he and Shelly. And in the post game interview, he showed a good sense of humor. Too funny, gave me a good chuckle.

Guest centsfan
GOod effort by Downey and I respect him for dropping him with Brashear knowing he would get rocked. Garth Murray your NHL career is in trouble.

Riiiiiiiight...

Murray is way a way better player than Downey... All Aaron Downey can do is fight, and still there, he's not the best...

Still happy for is first goal! :D Free potatoes for everybody! :D

Guest shanahan1024

Skill wise him Downey and Murray are pretty close, Murray is better but who cares there career 4th liners and both have 1 point all season. Downey brings more to the team, hes experienced, hes clearly a locker room favorite, and he helps to keep things lose with the guys. Id rather have him in the line up than Murray anyday, hes more exciting to watch and he will do more for the team, and will never complain.

Guest f30marco
Skill wise him Downey and Murray are pretty close, Murray is better but who cares there career 4th liners and both have 1 point all season. Downey brings more to the team, hes experienced, hes clearly a locker room favorite, and he helps to keep things lose with the guys. Id rather have him in the line up than Murray anyday, hes more exciting to watch and he will do more for the team, and will never complain.

well i dont think murray is the kind of guy who would complain either! but i agree at the moment i would keep downey in the lineup too. but murray still has potential and if he can only repeat what he did last year he will take downey's spot right away!

Guest CanadianMike

so let's see...Downey played last night=Habs won

he didn't play the 2 before that=Habs lost

he played the one before that=Habs won (he even scored!)

Keep the POTATO MAN IN!!! :D

Guest shanahan1024

Downey played good for his standards but my god is he funny to watch out there, like when he tried to hit the defenceman and he hit face on the boards, then he tripped on his own stick. Skill wise hes bottom five in the NHL, I wonder how he feels when hes out there on the ice like does he believe hes good enough to play in the NHL.

Well whatever hes fun to watch, he drops the glvoes for the team, brings free potatos, and chips in sometimes.

Good game Aaron.

Downey played good for his standards but my god is he funny to watch out there, like when he tried to hit the defenceman and he hit face on the boards, then he tripped on his own stick. Skill wise hes bottom five in the NHL, I wonder how he feels when hes out there on the ice like does he believe hes good enough to play in the NHL.

he is probably happy to be out there. I honestly believe if they told him he wasn't going to play until the next game against the Leafs he wouldn't be the kind of guy to comlain, just start counting down the days until he is back out there. I know on RDS they were showing his mishaps and IMO I could care less. We all know he isn't going to beat Kovalev in a stick handling contest, or out race Samsonov for the puck but watching him chug along and never complaing is alot more refreshing to see then a prima donna who feels he is tossing the NHL a bone by playing. Even after he scored he was quick to point out that it was the great pass from Bonk that got the ball rolling.

and Hab, it was Downey who said he was ready to give his life for this team :thumb:

Well whatever hes fun to watch, he drops the glvoes for the team, brings free potatos, and chips in sometimes.  

He is like larger version of those kids who play Tim Buts hockey, they are awkward on their skates and fall down a bit but try their hardest :D

Guest jfk0202

I must be out of the loop..sorry but what is this whole potatoes thing???

Personalyl I prefer Downey on the ice. He tries his butt off...always happy wins more fights than Murray and seems to gi ve the puck away less. Buts thast my opinion. Knows hes a 4thline scraper and plays his role

Guest MTL_RULES

You guys realize that there isn't room on this team for both next year right? Unless we lose a bunch of players to UFA(which we might) I think one of these guys is gone to make room for Chips/Lapierre/Kosti/etc...

Guest jfk0202
You guys realize that there isn't room on this team for both next year right?  Unless we lose a bunch of players to UFA(which we might)  I think one of these guys is gone to make room for Chips/Lapierre/Kosti/etc...

I like the guy but definately don't mind losing him or atleast sitting him until needed making room for younf guys like Lapierre...If nothing changes imagine a 4th line like begin, lats and lapierre...size, checking, skill and gritt..what a 4th line. Roll all 4 like buffalo

Guest Captain Koivu#11
Riiiiiiiight...

Murray is way a way better player than Downey... All Aaron Downey can do is fight, and still there, he's not the best...

Still happy for is first goal! :D Free potatoes for everybody! :D

I have to disagree with you. Even though Downey and murray both only have 1 point, Downey's played a little more than half the games Murray did, and is also a -5 (where Murray is a -8), with less ice time. I think Downey does more for the team.

Guest P.Royfan
You guys realize that there isn't room on this team for both next year right?  Unless we lose a bunch of players to UFA(which we might)  I think one of these guys is gone to make room for Chips/Lapierre/Kosti/etc...

I like Downey but I can't see either one making the team next year.

Archived