The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Aaron Downey

jl-1

Right, and I wasn't touching on whether they were clean or not. My appologies if it was not clear. I believe that all those hits were legal.

However I believe all those hits were also intent to injure, and I never realised how often these things happen.

Yeah I know what you mean and I can't dispute the fact that at least some of those hits were attempts to injure. But in the NHL there's no love lost. If you're coming in with your head down and make yourself vulnerable you're going to pay the price. The stakes are high...

A hit like that makes the other guys a little nervous and any slight psychological advantage in the NHL can mean a W.

Guest Musketball

However I believe all those hits were also intent to injure, and I never realised how often these things happen.

Absolutely my impression as well. He crosses half the ice in most of those clips to go and collect the unfortunate player. In some of those he even takes out his own player too. Stevens went out of his way to clock players, definite intent there.

Guest Musketball
:D I just heard Downey over the phone on 990, he was saying that he flew through a cross word puzzle this morning faster than he's ever done before... :D

What a character. Good for him to be able to laugh about it....

So my comment on him getting coloring books for a while was wrong. Oh well live and learn.

Absolutely my impression as well.  He crosses half the ice in most of those clips to go and collect the unfortunate player.  In some of those he even takes out his own player too.  Stevens went out of his way to clock players, definite intent there.

It also earned him a couple Stanley Cup rings. It's the nature of the game.

It also earned him a couple Stanley Cup rings. It's the nature of the game.
Yah... after Fred Shero and the Broadstreet Bullies changed everything and the violence from the WHA became a part of NHL Culture. Before that there was some great hockey the way it was meant to be played and the refs were more respectable.

bw6

Im watching the Bruins v. Flames game right now and they just mentioned that reports are that Downey may have to retire due to the severe concussion he got. Hopefully this is not true. Speedy recovery Downey!!

Certainly hope this is not true, just cant believe that he has to retire. Also cant find anything about this on the net, maybe its a only rumour started.

I certainly hope it hasn't come to the point that Downey has to concider retiring. It's too early in his career for that, and that would be pretty sad if he's forced to retire.

Was this his first concusion by the way?

...if you're coming in with your head down and make yourself vulnerable you're going to pay the price. The stakes are high...

A hit like that makes the other guys a little nervous and any slight psychological advantage in the NHL can mean a W.

The way I see it, intent to injure is legal, it’s what provides a job to handful of players, and a wide spread part of the game. All I’ve tried to reiterate is that maybe this is a problem. Maybe it’s time the league begins suspending players for 20 games for such hits and expel them from the NHL on a second offense. I love crunching hits and I love Downey because he delivers such crunching hits. But the horror show this video has shown is a different beast which should not be allowed in any major sporting event, let alone admired by the masses.

Downey, as per his interview, is ready to come back in the game. However there are rumors and reports that he may be forced in to retirement (by the medical staff I would imagine) due to this hit. No one man should hold another man’s career in his hands (or shoulder pads”

Guest leafsreallysuck
How many of these hits would you categorize as dirty

Look at this one , he gave the puck away and then was nailed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYqNXH35IXY

In the first video there are four that I would call dirty, the one on Karya is not. Like HLD said the intent is there and something needs to be done. The players are faster, heavier and more skilled (that works for the hitters to). The ice isn't getting bigger so the injuries have a good chance of getting more serious and career ending. The salary cap is also putting pressure on marginal players who might be out to make a name for themselves. I see this as an explosive situation and thougher penalties are needed to keep the players honest.

The refs will need some training though because from what I've seen so far they seem overwhelmed in some occasions.

Guest KOIVU#11

IMO, the fact is if it was Souray who absoultley destroyed someone then it wouldn't be an issue the hit would be clean, but as soon as it happens to one of our own we all shout for a league review. In the replay it clearly showed there was no elbow involved so it wasn't dirty that way. Regyr (not sure of spelling) committed to the hit, he locked onto Downey, he had his head down and thats it. I feel for Downey but it was a clean hit. Big hits are part of the game, any player will tell you that, of course he intended to smoke him, when you go into make most neutral ice hits they're intentional but that doesn't mean that they mean to give the guy a concussion. What it comes down to his you have to keep your head UP!! Especially on a dump in coming through center.

This said I wish Downey a speedy recovery and hope to see him back in the line up soon.

IMO, the fact is if it was Souray who absoultley destroyed someone then it wouldn't be an issue the hit would be clean, but as soon as it happens to one of our own we all shout for a league review. In the replay it clearly showed there was no elbow involved so it wasn't dirty that way. Regyr (not sure of spelling) committed to the hit, he locked onto Downey, he had his head down and thats it. I feel for Downey but it was a clean hit. Big hits are part of the game, any player will tell you that, of course he intended to smoke him, when you go into make most neutral ice hits they're intentional but that doesn't mean that they mean to give the guy a concussion. What it comes down to his you have to keep your head UP!! Especially on a dump in coming through center.

This said I wish Downey a speedy recovery and hope to see him back in the line up soon.

No need to re-open that can of worms. I don’t recall reading in the last little bit that the hit on Downey was dirty. No one (at least with respect to today’s posts) is insisting it was dirty.

To bring you up to speed (in case you missed the topic we were talking about) we’re talking about intent to injure. We all understand it's part of the game, but some of us are merely mentioning that it should perhaps be punished more severely by the league.

And I sure hope you’re not suggesting that most people in the forum would be cheering had Souray laid a deliberate concussing hit on someone (by deliberate, I’m referring to the fact of shoulder pad in the face and not falling the wrong way). I can’t speak for everyone, but I for one would never cheer or boast about such a hit. We criticize our player for unsportsmanship like conduct (the most recent example being the dive by Ribeiro)

Just to clarify a previous poster, Downey is not considering retiring, but rumour has it it has been suggested to him. As far as I’ve heard from his interview on 990 he’s ready to get back to what he does best.

Guest KOIVU#11

I believe I said (in case you didn't read it) that when you go into make neutral ice hits your intending to smoke the player, but not to give him a concussion, your inteding to hit him hard but not kill him, my opinion on the hit was that there was no intent to injure on Downey, and if the conversation wasn't about Downey but hits in general then this isn't the spot to discuss it. The reason I said we'd all be cheering if Souray had of laid someone out becuase i was just in the Latendresse thread and someone said that his hit during the pre-season was clean (which it wasn't) so thats where I got that to.

Distance travelled is always ignored and what leads to the "Big Hits" the way we've come to know them. That's a lot different than a player maintaining body position and standing up to hit some one or throwing a hip check against a puckcarrier. The other thing that happens all the time and doesn't always result in injury is the mindset that finishing a check after a player no longer maintains possesion is permitted (this is also where distance travelled is not taken into consideration). There is now a grey area here as sometimes intereference calls are made that usually do not involve violent checks. According to the rules already in place in the official rulebook regarding posession and interference, a player may only check another legally "immedaitely after a player loses posession"... once again, the key here is "immediately".

Rules are in place to protect the players from charging, boarding or intent to injure (all of which pertain most of the time to distance travelled) but in today's game are not inforced most of the time.

In the past, before the merger with the WHA (a very dirty and poorly officiated league - IMHO), it was possible that a bench clearing brawl would ensue if a player crossed the line the way players do now... there was more respect for the game and most of it's participants back then... charging, boarding and other violent offenses were 5 minute majors often with 10 minute or game misconducts and there were still clean hard hits, players didn't wear helmets and the talent level was perhaps at it's very best.

The league has it all wrong with their cut and paste tinkering with the rules causing even greater grey areas for officials and players, clamping down on minor intereference that is sometiomes even phantom, bringing in rules like puck-over-the-glass in order to supposedly improve the quality of the game. If they wanted more room for players they just had to call it by the rules that were already in place and weren't being inforced... as I've stated.

I hope the distance you've just travelled reading this can help.

DISTANCE TRAVELLED

bw6

as a referee, and a sufferer of 8 concussions, the nhl is horrible for calls of this nature...

Checking from behind somehow has become boarding, don't even get me started on that..

and the nhl, and it's affilates, are the only leagues that do not have a Checking To The Head call (2 min and a 10min misconduct for accidently, 5 and a match for intentional hit/aimed)... they should.. and any time a guy comes off his feet to deliver a check.. liek really come on.. thats automatic charging.. i had a midget AAA player ask me why i gave him a chargin call b/c "they hit like that in the nhl".

what kind of impression is the nhl tryin to send to young players that it's ok for this to happen.

I believe I said (in case you didn't read it) that when you go into make neutral ice hits your intending to smoke the player, but not to give him a concussion, your inteding to hit him hard but not kill him, my opinion on the hit was that there was no intent to injure on Downey, and if the conversation wasn't about Downey but hits in general then this isn't the spot to discuss it. The reason I said we'd all be cheering if Souray had of laid someone out becuase i was just in the Latendresse thread and someone said that his hit during the pre-season was clean (which it wasn't) so thats where I got that to.

I believe thats what you said as well. I will ask you kindly however not to take an agressive to with another member of the forum, simply because your opinion of the hit is different (if you don't feel the tone is agressive, I'm letting you know that's how it comes across). Also, please don't cross quote members and get angry (i.e. I am one of the people who was saying let's not be hypocrytical about the hit on Downey and Latandresse's hit). Everyone is entitled to their opinion and this forum is a medium where we can all share it. I believe such hits should be considered as malicious and disalowed.

And the topic evolved from Downey, to Downey's hit to the nature of the hit, and now to intent o injure. I appreciate your effort to back seat moderate. You're absolutely right and we should get back on topic.

brianw6 and Dingwell you make great points. Especially Dingwell...I fully agree with you...it's just wrong :D

Interesting thread so far, and I can find myself in both sides of the argument, clean or not. Always keep your head up, one of the basics, true, and so important, but for the one who is placing the hit, when you see a player head down, think about how you place the hit. It can still be crushing when you go in hip first for the lower regions, ofcourse not as low as the knees. Sure, sometimes by accident in the heat of the game, you can hit somebody in the head, but imo its all about body positioning, reading the player you want to hit, thats how I hit myself anyways.

I don't post or read topics on this forum this often but I have to comment on Aaron's concussion and the reports of him "retireing". I have known Aaron since he was with the Dallas Stars, and with his personalty and his dedication to hockey, I seriously think that the reports of him retireing is a major rumor. He is not one to give up one something he is passionate about. One hit will not stop Aaron from playing the sport he loves. Knowing him, he wants back on the ice. You guys in Montreal are truly lucky to have him on your team and those of you that get to meet him are lucky as well. He is a great guy with a good heart..for his fans and for the game of Hockey. I truly hope that he gets back on the ice soon and he goes on to have a great season.

Archived