The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Aaron Downey

jl-1

Interesting thread so far, and I can find myself in both sides of the argument, clean or not. Always keep your head up, one of the basics, true, and so important, but for the one who is placing the hit, when you see a player head down, think about how you place the hit. It can still be crushing when you go in hip first for the lower regions, ofcourse not as low as the knees. Sure, sometimes by accident in the heat of the game, you can hit somebody in the head, but imo its all about body positioning, reading the player you want to hit, thats how I hit myself anyways.

I think you nailed it in the head. This is where we're stuck and I suppose until the league decides to look at these closer, this is where the debate will always end up. As long as the fans don't reward such behavior.

Anyone checked out the Flames forum? I wonder what the general consensus is with respect to the hit.

Get Better Aaron!!! that was a cheap shot and you have to get better!!! we need you and miss you!!!! ~xXx~
I just hope he gets better soon. The Habs require his toughness.

Ditto..

Just to let you both know, if you are able to, you should keep an ear out for 990. They replay the interview with Downey often enough. Hearing the interview would uplift you I'm sure. He's in good spirits, joking around, and says he's more motivated than ever! A Downey that skates faster, grinds tougher, and hits harder.....I like the sound of that! :shock:

Ditto..

Just to let you both know, if you are able to, you should keep an ear out for 990. They replay the interview with Downey often enough. Hearing the interview would uplift you I'm sure. He's in good spirits, joking around, and says he's more motivated than ever! A Downey that skates faster, grinds tougher, and hits harder.....I like the sound of that! :shock:

The only thing that worries me about Downey coming back is all it takes is one punch to the head during a fight and he's done for good. Believe me, no one wants him to come back more, however, how will this concussion affect him long term.

Get Better Aaron!!! that was a cheap shot and you have to get better!!! we need you and miss you!!!! ~xXx~

Agreed. I said it before in this thread - CHEAP SHOT. Hopefully the retirement rumors are just that, rumors. Although having to spend an hour every morning looking for your car keys is no way to live. Just ask Bill Romanowski from the 49ers about post concussion syndrome. Get well Aaron.

The only thing that worries me about Downey coming back is all it takes is one punch to the head during a fight and he's done for good.  Believe me, no one wants him to come back more, however, how will this concussion affect him long term.

Agreed. Let's just hope that he is able to come back under medically acceptable terms.

I don't want to restart the debate on whether Regehr's hit was dirty. What I DO want to discuss is the absolutely appalling sentiment that is evident in this Gazette brief.

REGEHR HIT ON EDGE: STOCK

John Meagher, the Gazette

Oct. 20 2006

Was the thunderous bodycheck by Calgary Flames defenceman Robyn Regehr that sent Habs forward Aaron Downey to a hospital with a concussion fair or foul?

"It's such a borderline call," said P.J. Stock, a former NHL tough guy. "If (Downey's) not hurt, would we be talking about the hit today?"

Downey, a rugged role player, should have seen it coming, Stock added. "I think he could have done more to protect himself. His head was down. Especially when you're a fourth-liner, you know someone is going to line you up when they get the chance."

Oh, so if you’re just a worthless fourth-line player, it’s okay for you to get creamed into next week? You should take care of yourself because you’re an expendable part? This attitude is sickening to me, and the fact that Stock, himself a former enforcer, buys into it illustrates just how deep-seated the problem is in the NHL. When a former enforcer believes that it’s okay to have a two-tiered scale for violent hits, that it’s okay for players to target fourth-line grinders because (by implication) no one cares about them one way or another, things have got to change. Instead of asking whether we’d be talking about the injury today if Downey hadn’t gotten seriously injured, a better question is: would Regehr be playing today if he’d done the same thing to Sidney Crosby or Jaromir Jagr? I don’t think so. I think he’d have gotten a multigame suspension and fine for roughing up an elite player. But since it’s only Aaron Downey, he walks away.

I don't want to restart the debate on whether Regehr's hit was dirty. What I DO want to discuss is the absolutely appalling sentiment that is evident in this Gazette brief.

Oct. 20 2006

Was the thunderous bodycheck by Calgary Flames defenceman Robyn Regehr that sent Habs forward Aaron Downey to a hospital with a concussion fair or foul?

"It's such a borderline call," said P.J. Stock, a former NHL tough guy. "If (Downey's) not hurt, would we be talking about the hit today?"

Downey, a rugged role player, should have seen it coming, Stock added. "I think he could have done more to protect himself. His head was down. Especially when you're a fourth-liner, you know someone is going to line you up when they get the chance."

Oh, so if you’re just a worthless fourth-line player, it’s okay for you to get creamed into next week? You should take care of yourself because you’re an expendable part? This attitude is sickening to me, and the fact that Stock, himself a former enforcer, buys into it illustrates just how deep-seated the problem is in the NHL. When a former enforcer believes that it’s okay to have a two-tiered scale for violent hits, that it’s okay for players to target fourth-line grinders because (by implication) no one cares about them one way or another, things have got to change. Instead of asking whether we’d be talking about the injury today if Downey hadn’t gotten seriously injured, a better question is: would Regehr be playing today if he’d done the same thing to Sidney Crosby or Jaromir Jagr? I don’t think so. I think he’d have gotten a multigame suspension and fine for roughing up an elite player. But since it’s only Aaron Downey, he walks away.

I think that goes witout saying... why... this is the NHL where much of what happens is so inconsistent and crazy.

bw6

Oct. 20 2006

During his interview yesterday, Aaron actually touched up on this issue. When asked about the hit he said “it was clean, but could have been called. If the hit was on, say Koivu, than he would be called on it no doubt. But that’s just the way the game goes you know”

Than he eluted to the fact that when they play again, he’ll be hunting Regher down like a heat seeking missile and finished by saying “I hope he’s up for the challenge”. Something tells me he ticked the wrong guy off :D

Guest jimdubbs

Oct. 20 2006

personally im tired of hearing people say it was a cheapshot/dirty/whatever you want to call it. yes it is unfortunate that downey got hurt, but looking at the facts all opinions aside it was partially his fault. His head was down and he should of been expecting a hit after dumping the puck. I dont care what any of you people say if that was downey out there finishing a check you people would be standing going nuts.

personally im tired of hearing people say it was a cheapshot/dirty/whatever you want to call it. yes it is unfortunate that downey got hurt, but looking at the facts all opinions aside it was partially his fault. His head was down and he should of been expecting a hit after dumping the puck. I dont care what any of you people say if that was downey out there finishing a check you people would be standing going nuts.
Please don't compare others to your own mindset on this... some of us have our own beliefs about how the game should be played and/or officiated for all teams and do not condone extreme violence that can be avoided... no matter what team a player plays for.

bw6

Guest Goodtown
Please don't compare others to your own mindset on this... some of us have our own beliefs about how the game should be played and/or officiated for all teams and do not condone extreme violence that can be avoided... no matter what team a player plays for.

bw6

Hockey is and always has been a violent sport, no matter how you cut it! I wish all the best for Downey and hope he has a speedy recovery, but he made a mistake. My son is 4 years old and just started hockey basics, it consists of skating and stick handling nothing else. The very first thing they teach the kids when handling the puck is to keep your chin up and to never look down at your feet. Unfortunetly that's when Downey made the mistake, as you grow up playing hockey, everyone knows the old saying; "Keep your chin up!"

Hockey is and always has been a violent sport, no matter how you cut it! I wish all the best for Downey and hope he has a speedy recovery, but he made a mistake. My son is 4 years old and just started hockey basics, it consists of skating and stick handling nothing else. The very first thing they teach the kids when handling the puck is to keep your chin up and to never look down at your feet. Unfortunetly that's when Downey made the mistake, as you grow up playing hockey, everyone knows the old saying; "Keep your chin up!"
That doesn't impress me or excuse the cowardly act of a player hitting another when he is defenseless... it shouldn't have to be that way in a sport where there are rules that are there to prevent it from happening... if only they wouild be respected and enforced with severe punishment.

bw6

Guest kjdriedger
That doesn't impress me or excuse the cowardly act of a player hitting another when he is defenseless... it shouldn't have to be that way in a sport where there are rules that are there to prevent it from happening... if only they wouild be respected and enforced with severe punishment.

bw6

The injury sucks. Especially for Downey. That said, he'll be OK. SOmeone else gets a chance now - I hope Chipchura gets called up to centre the fourth line and Begin (if healthy) moves over to the wing.

personally im tired of hearing people say it was a cheapshot/dirty/whatever you want to call it.

If you quote my post, please take the time to read it. I have no interest in a debate over whether the hit was cheap or dirty, and I made that clear at the outset. What I was objecting to was the double standard that exists for skilled players and grinders when it comes to punishing hits.

yes it is unfortunate that downey got hurt, but looking at the facts all opinions aside it was partially his fault.

Here's a worn rhetorical strategy: couch your own subjective opinion as fact, dismiss everyone else's arguments as opinion, and pretend that you're an objective voice on the subject. The minute you say that someone was at fault, you are assigning blame, and assessing culpability within a larger context and ethical framework. Essentially, you are making a judgment call based on what just transpired, or, to use the journalistic term, 'fair comment on a matter of public record', so kindly stop pretending that your opinion is some kind of incontrovertible fact.

His head was down and he should of been expecting a hit after dumping the puck.

Leaving aside the sheer effrontery of you attempting to judge what a player in a violent, high-speed game should expect in the heat of a moment — particularly when expectations differ drastically based on the given context — you have again failed to grasp my point. Refer to my original post.

I dont care what any of you people say if that was downey out there finishing a check you people would be standing going nuts.

From this we can establish two corollaries:

1. You have no interest in actual debate, because you're right, and you're right because your name is jimdubbs.

2. As jimdubbs, arbiter of all things hockey, you can freely lump every other member of this forum into a single homogenous group (the aforementioned 'you people'), assign us opinions as and how you see fit, misinterpret what we say to suit your arguments, and end the discussion at your convenience, because you don't care what 'us people' say.

It must be nice to be omniscient.

TSN.ca Staff

10/20/2006 1:45:41 PM

The news on Aaron Downy's condition is good. According to RDS, the Montreal Canadiens forward is feeling much better and is not experiencing any after-effects of a severe concussion suffered earlier this week.

The report claims the only obstacle preventing Downey from getting back on the ice at this point is medical clearance.

Downey was injured in the first period of Montreal's game against the Calgary Flames Tuesday. He was crossing the red line with his head down when Flames defenceman Robyn Regehr dropped him with a thundering shoulder check. He lay motionless on the ice for a minute, but later was able to get up and looked wobbly as he was helped off the ice.

Regehr, who was not penalized on the play, said his intent was not to injure Downey.

"He was trying to get the red line to make a dump-in and I saw my opportunity to close in on him. I just put the shoulder to him. I hit him right on the button. For me, in my position, I'm supposed to be physical. I'm pretty sure it was clean."

Afterwards Canadiens head coach Guy Carbonneau called it a "pretty bad concussion" and there were some concerns about his playing career.

(Files from Canadian Press were used in this report)

TSN.ca Staff

10/20/2006 1:45:41 PM

The news on Aaron Downy's condition is good. According to RDS, the Montreal Canadiens forward is feeling much better and is not experiencing any after-effects of a severe concussion suffered earlier this week.  

The report claims the only obstacle preventing Downey from getting back on the ice at this point is medical clearance.  

Downey was injured in the first period of Montreal's game against the Calgary Flames Tuesday. He was crossing the red line with his head down when Flames defenceman Robyn Regehr dropped him with a thundering shoulder check. He lay motionless on the ice for a minute, but later was able to get up and looked wobbly as he was helped off the ice.  

Regehr, who was not penalized on the play, said his intent was not to injure Downey.  

"He was trying to get the red line to make a dump-in and I saw my opportunity to close in on him. I just put the shoulder to him. I hit him right on the button. For me, in my position, I'm supposed to be physical. I'm pretty sure it was clean."  

Afterwards Canadiens head coach Guy Carbonneau called it a "pretty bad concussion" and there were some concerns about his playing career.  

(Files from Canadian Press were used in this report)

That's VERY good news.

Guest jimdubbs
If you quote my post, please take the time to read it. I have no interest in a debate over whether the hit was cheap or dirty, and I made that clear at the outset. What I was objecting to was the double standard that exists for skilled players and grinders when it comes to punishing hits.  

sorry if i brought up the wrong topic.

Here's a worn rhetorical strategy: couch your own subjective opinion as fact, dismiss everyone else's arguments as opinion, and pretend that you're an objective voice on the subject. The minute you say that someone was at fault, you are  assigning blame, and assessing culpability within a larger context and ethical framework. Essentially, you are making a judgment call based on what just transpired, or, to use the journalistic term, 'fair comment on a matter of public record', so kindly stop pretending that your opinion is some kind of incontrovertible fact.

i never said that my opinion was fact. Im talking about the video of the hit. You can clearly see that downey had his head down. its not mine or anyone else's fault but his that he had his head down. You cant tell me that if downey didnt have his head down that the hit would of been half as bad. He probably would of got winded or something, but i highly doubt he would of got a concussion if his head wasnt down

Leaving aside the sheer effrontery of you attempting to judge what a player in a violent, high-speed game should expect in the heat of a moment — particularly when expectations differ drastically based on the given context — you have again failed to grasp my point. Refer to my original post.

My poiny by this comment was 95% of players finish their checks, so more often than not when you dump the puck in, you are going to be hit

From this we can establish two corollaries:

1. You have no interest in actual debate, because you're right, and you're right because your name is jimdubbs.

2. As jimdubbs, arbiter of all things hockey, you can freely lump every other member of this forum into a single homogenous group (the aforementioned 'you people'), assign us opinions as and how you see fit, misinterpret what we say to suit your arguments, and end the discussion at your convenience, because you don't care what 'us people' say.

glad to see you're making assumptions about my charcter, arent you supposed to be keeping this kinda things off the forums? im not "lumping" everyone into a group, im talking about YOU PEOPLE who keep crying about how it was a cheap hit/dirty hit whatever, when it was a clean hit, even DOWNEY said himself that it was a clean hit, yes there was some controversy that there could have been an interference call or something like that, but with the reffs these days you never know what way the calls are going to go..im sorry if you or anyone took offense to my post as i dont mean to get off on the wrong foot here...

It must be nice to be omniscient.

replied in quotes..

Guest frenchy88

I was just channel surfing when I flipped a sports station ( channel 50 something in Ontario) and at the bottom ticker they said that downey was considering retirement

Guest hatethoseleafs

Downey got some great news today on his status and from the looks of this report from TSN.....looks like he's just about ready to return.:mrgreen:

The Canadiens won't play Calgary again this season, but Downey said he has filed it away in his memory.

"He's lucky I didn't get up or I would have pounded him," he said.

Guest BadBrains
I was just channel surfing when I flipped a sports station ( channel 50 something in Ontario) and at the bottom ticker they said that downey was considering retirement

I would say that you can disregard anything an Ontario sports station has to say about the Habs or it's players. Downey is simply waiting for medical clearance to return to the ice.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=181354&hubname=nhl

Archived