The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Aaron Downey

jl-1

Guest devils_fury2

I just noticed not to long ago..that on the Score, they are reproting that Downey is considering retirement...unless Downey has no other choice, I hope he atleast makes an attempt to come back eventually because in my opinion the Habs need him and I truely believe he puts alot of heart into every game for Montreal, and he's a good all around player and exciting to watch

Guest Miltie01
If you quote my post, please take the time to read it. I have no interest in a debate over whether the hit was cheap or dirty, and I made that clear at the outset. What I was objecting to was the double standard that exists for skilled players and grinders when it comes to punishing hits.  

Here's a worn rhetorical strategy: couch your own subjective opinion as fact, dismiss everyone else's arguments as opinion, and pretend that you're an objective voice on the subject. The minute you say that someone was at fault, you are  assigning blame, and assessing culpability within a larger context and ethical framework. Essentially, you are making a judgment call based on what just transpired, or, to use the journalistic term, 'fair comment on a matter of public record', so kindly stop pretending that your opinion is some kind of incontrovertible fact.

Leaving aside the sheer effrontery of you attempting to judge what a player in a violent, high-speed game should expect in the heat of a moment — particularly when expectations differ drastically based on the given context — you have again failed to grasp my point. Refer to my original post.

From this we can establish two corollaries:

1. You have no interest in actual debate, because you're right, and you're right because your name is jimdubbs.

2. As jimdubbs, arbiter of all things hockey, you can freely lump every other member of this forum into a single homogenous group (the aforementioned 'you people'), assign us opinions as and how you see fit, misinterpret what we say to suit your arguments, and end the discussion at your convenience, because you don't care what 'us people' say.

It must be nice to be omniscient.

Are you in journalism school? Your choice of wording is ...well I don't have the words to describe it !!!! You though probably do !!!!

That video of him training someone posted is great. I want to see him go take on Rocky now!

As for the debate, some people are hilarious sometimes. Even Downey said it himself (just heard it on That's Hockey). "If that would've been me, I would have done the same thing".

PJ stock is right, that's what being a 4th line grinder in the NHL is all about. For me personally, I love the big hits. They make people jump up in their living rooms. I suggest to those who want to take them out of hockey to go watch soccer.

Hope to see the big guy back out there crushing some bodies soon.

Guest Goodtown
That doesn't impress me or excuse the cowardly act of a player hitting another when he is defenseless... it shouldn't have to be that way in a sport where there are rules that are there to prevent it from happening... if only they wouild be respected and enforced with severe punishment.

bw6

Although you loved watching the replay of Kovi smoking Tucker, at the end of last season.

Good feature about Downey on the main page of canadiens.com.

He does plan to return, isn't feeling many of the common after-effects of the concussion, and makes a great point when he says that if a "superstar" like "Saku or Vincent Lecavalier" were hit like that, Phaneuf would have been at least called for charging, if not tossed out of the game. But because Downey is a bit of a tough guy, the refs have more lienience. Do you agree?

Guest Miltie01
Good feature about Downey on the main page of canadiens.com.

He does plan to return, isn't feeling many of the common after-effects of the concussion, and makes a great point when he says that if a "superstar" like "Saku or Vincent Lecavalier" were hit like that, Phaneuf would have been at least called for charging, if not tossed out of the game. But because Downey is a bit of a tough guy, the refs have more lienience. Do you agree?

Most definately. Always has been that way.

Guest ribz&ryder_connexion

Downey's is awesome. I've met him about twice so far and he's super. Calgary's just lucky that we don't play them anymore this year. Stupid Flames :x

I was just read the article on canadiens.com and found this funny:

"He's lucky I didn't get up or I would have pounded him," he said.

I actually laughed out loud. I love his personality.

I was laughing so hard when he said that all of sudden, his french got better after the incident :D

and he thought Murray was playing when he was half concious

That interview with PJ Stock on Team 990 was hilarious, gotta love the Stock Exchange! He said he was getting better at crosswords, PJ told him he thought he was dead or looked like a drunky! It's good to see he's doing well and taking everything well.

Guest RocketPower

I don't mind hits and good checks but call it if its dirty-- whether its trying to hurt a player like Crosby or Downey . If you watch the video of the Stick in the face to Saku--that was dirty --no penalty to JW.

In this morning's Journal de Montreal:

Aaron Downey relayed to journalist that when Mike Modano called him to wish him well a couple of days ago, Downey told him about a dream he had about him since the "hit": he dreamed that he and Modano had each other's hands/skills. LOL. Imagine that.

Team 990 interviewed the head coaches Peter Laviolette (Hurricanes) and Trent Yawney (Blackhawks) re: our man Downey. Laviolette told PJ Stock that Aaron Downey was among of his favourite players he'd ever coached and they joked about old times for several minutes on the air. First time I've listened intently to that guy, ever. .... Head coach from Chicago, Mr. Yawney, also praised Downey, saying he was THE go-to guy and a great capitaine for the Norfolk Admirals (AHL). I can't remember a quote, but he really respects and loves Downey.

Hoping for a swift return for our stalwart enforcer, even if he sits on the bench ... he'll be there when needed.

In this morning's Journal de Montreal:

Aaron Downey relayed to journalist that when Mike Modano called him to wish him well a couple of days ago, Downey told him about a dream he had about him since the "hit":  he dreamed that he and Modano had each other's hands/skills.    LOL.  Imagine that.

Team 990 interviewed the head coaches Peter Laviolette (Hurricanes) and Trent Yawney (Blackhawks) re: our man Downey.  Laviolette told PJ Stock that Aaron Downey was among of his favourite players he'd ever coached and they joked about old times for several minutes on the air.  First time I've listened intently to that guy, ever.    ....  Head coach from Chicago, Mr. Yawney, also praised Downey, saying he was THE go-to guy  and a great capitaine for the Norfolk Admirals (AHL).  I can't remember a quote, but he really respects and loves Downey.

Hoping for a swift return for our stalwart enforcer, even if he sits on the bench ... he'll be there when needed.

It's great to hear that. Downey is a pretty rough forward, and I hope that he can stay tough out there and play great games :D

Guest natey2k4

I love players like Aaron Downey, they work their tails off and normally, cause they don't score 50 points a year, they're always given the back seat. Downey is a great player who shows up for every game and scores the odd goal when we need it. I'd take a million Downey's on my team anyday.

When Downey got nailed by Regher, he did not see it coming, know why? It was because he was behind another Flames player and he was blocking his view from that cheap shot artist Regher. Regher saw this as a chance to paste him and he did it. During the 04 playoffs he did the same sort of garbage to Fedetenko when he grabbed his arm and pounded his face into the glass. Regher is a good D man but he is a dirty player.

I love players like Aaron Downey, they work their tails off and normally, cause they don't score 50 points a year, they're always given the back seat. Downey is a great player who shows up for every game and scores the odd goal when we need it. I'd take a million Downey's on my team anyday.

Yeah, but you'd be way over the salary cap :D

Guest Sashaband

a friend was watching the score ticker and has said that there was a heading indicating that downey is going to retire. Can anyone confirm or deny this please.

Guest Alex-Habsfan23
anyone else feel like when your listening to Downey, your listening to that Ricky guy from trailer park boys?

the ressemblance is uncanny, same voice same style of talking, everything

Lol my Dad said the same thing this morning.

"The Trailer Park Boys kicked him out"

Guest natey2k4
a friend was watching the score ticker and has said that there was a heading indicating that downey is going to retire.  Can anyone confirm or deny this please.

I seen that too last night when I was downtown at the bars. They had a little thing that said Downey is considering retirement.

When Downey got nailed by Regher, he did not see it coming, know why? It was because he was behind another Flames player and he was blocking his view from that cheap shot artist Regher. Regher saw this as a chance to paste him and he did it. During the 04 playoffs he did the same sort of garbage to Fedetenko when he grabbed his arm and pounded his face into the glass. Regher is a good D man but he is a dirty player.

I've kind of lost my respect for not only Regehr, but for the Flames aswell, after what had happend to Downey.

I seen that too last night when I was downtown at the bars. They had a little thing that said Downey is considering retirement.

Downey isn't concidering retirement.. He's starting to feel better and is thinking of when he can return.

I've kind of lost my respect for not only Regehr, but for the Flames aswell, after what had happend to Downey.

Thats not fair. After the game, Regehr was the first person to call and see if Downey was ok, and a bunch of Flames players did the same.

Archived