The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Mike Ribeiro

jl-1

Guest FunkyOne
Hate to rbign this up but Ive bene wtaching Rubeiro and hes been playign very well.

Hate to bring this up, but on this forum if you expect to be taken seriously, please try to spell correctly. It takes an extra... 10 seconds maybe even less, to go from "Complete moron" to "Legible".

I've been regretting this trade for so long, just because he IS THE 2nd LINE CENTER* we need. Can't we give niinimaa and sammy for ribs and a 4th rounder or so? PLEASE

* By that I mean, he does have a great offensive flair which you guys don't want to admit. Pleks is too frigging defensive he's ruining the line.

Hate to bring this up, but on this forum if you expect to be taken seriously, please try to spell correctly. It takes an extra... 10 seconds maybe even less, to go from "Complete moron" to "Legible".  

I've been regretting this trade for so long, just because he IS THE 2nd LINE CENTER* we need. Can't we give niinimaa and sammy for ribs and a 4th rounder or so? PLEASE

* By that I mean, he does have a great offensive flair which you guys don't want to admit. Pleks is too frigging defensive he's ruining the line.

Peter Forseberg couldn't get that line going. The center isn't the problem. And Ribs certainly isn't the answer, not only is he too slow for those two, but he is another guy who would just be dangling the puck and not crashign the net. The line may LOOK even better, but would probably do worse on the scoresheet.

The guys on pace for around 50 points, similar to here, we knew we were losing some offensive skill when we traded him (if anyone thought he'd go there and get like 15 pionts, they were out of their mind), but as some people put it, its "addition by subtraction".

Guest Miltie01

Ribs has been doing well in Dallas and I am happy for him. This would not have ever happened in Montreal. Ribs when he was here felt he entitled as he was a hometown boy and didn't work. This trade shook him up and made him understand that you have to work hard and have a good attitude to succeed in the NHL. This trade has made his career.

Ribs has been doing well in Dallas and I am happy for him. This would not have ever happened in Montreal. Ribs when he was here felt he entitled as he was a hometown boy and didn't work. This trade shook him up and made him understand that you have to work hard and have a good attitude to succeed in the NHL. This trade has made his career.

Dallas gets the cup this year:mrgreen: :D

-Matt

But we payed him 2.4 million for that. With his salary and the fact that he's a UFA at the end of the season, his value probably wasn't much much more than a bag of pucks.

Nonsense! He was a rent-a-player because at the time we were critically short on defensemen, including in Hamilton (Cote was injured at the time as well). While we actually didn't need to rely on Niniima as much as we may have, it was absolutely the right decision at the time the Mike Ribeiro trade happened. Gainey made absolutely the right call at the time, given the circumstances. How can anybody see it as a bad deal? We got rid of a soft diver, and picked up a needed rental who fits under the cap, is gone at the end of the season, (or may be a tradeable asset), and adds defensive depth/options. Good insurance IMO.

Ribs gets a lot of his points on the powerplay - our problem isn't power play specialization - we have (or had) a killer PP thanks in large part to Souray.

IMO Ribs would hurt the team more defensively 5 on 5 than he would add as an additional offensive threat on the PP.

I wish him well (despite my "diver" comments earlier) - but I am honestly glad he is gone - he is NOT the second line centre we need. I also would not blame the second line's performance on Pleks - I think the combination is simply not working - maybe with Lats on line 2 and Sammy away from Kovy we will have better success.

Ribs should keep his mouth shut more often and jus play the damn game. mite do him some good. won't be surprised if he turns into another Tucker.

Oh Geez - at least Tucker has the spine to occasionally back up his obnoxiousness.

Ribs gets a lot of his points on the powerplay - our problem isn't power play specialization - we have (or had) a killer PP thanks in large part to Souray.

IMO Ribs would hurt the team more defensively 5 on 5 than he would add as an additional offensive threat on the PP.

I wish him well (despite my "diver" comments earlier) - but I am honestly glad he is gone - he is NOT the second line centre we need. I also would not blame the second line's performance on Pleks - I think the combination is simply not working - maybe with Lats on line 2 and Sammy away from Kovy we will have better success.

id like to refute the 5 on 5 comment.

he was a defensive liability in past seasons, but considering the need of a playmaker between sammy and kovy...ribs should have been given a 1-2 month tryout before being shipped off.

-Matt

Nonsense! He was a rent-a-player because at the time we were critically short on defensemen, including in Hamilton (Cote was injured at the time as well). While we actually didn't need to rely on Niniima as much as we may have, it was absolutely the right decision at the time the Mike Ribeiro trade happened. Gainey made absolutely the right call at the time, given the circumstances. How can anybody see it as a bad deal? We got rid of a soft diver, and picked up a needed rental who fits under the cap, is gone at the end of the season, (or may be a tradeable asset), and adds defensive depth/options. Good insurance IMO.

Uh mind showing me where I said Gainey made the wrong move? I've said many times it was a good move. (that post is quite old by the way)

All I was saying was that with his salary, we probably could of gotten Janne for almost nothing, and if thats the best offer Bob could get for Ribs, shows how much value Ribs had.

id like to refute the 5 on 5 comment.

he was a defensive liability in past seasons, but considering the need of a playmaker between sammy and kovy...ribs should have been given a 1-2 month tryout before being shipped off.

-Matt

They dont' need a playmaker, they need a goal scorer. Even though the two have had success scoring goals, they are both trying to set them up. Ribs had a chance in preseason with them and they didn't look so great. They would look horrible together, just dangling the puck and eventually losing it, never shooting it.

Perreault should have been the one given a chance.

• 1 month later...
Guest kevinfansdeshabs

Ya know picking up Ribs may have been the move of the year.. could you imagine where the Stars would be without him in the lineup?

A comment from the stars board

He play with nagy tonight

No way he gets 80 points, he's on pace for right about what he scored last season with us.

maybe, itll be interesting to see what he does int he playoffs and next season with dallas(assuming he stays with them)

i have no doubt in my mind that my boy ribs will try and pick it up a notch

all the best to ya!

-Matt

Guest kevinfansdeshabs

Ribeiro has been arguably the Stars' best forward this season. How big is he?

I'm very happy for him, and I hope he will win the cup this year.

When the playoffs start to see the stars games

Guest 29Dryden29
Ribeiro has been arguably the Stars' best forward this season. How big is he?  

I'm very happy for him, and I hope he will win the cup this year.

When the playoffs start to see the stars games

The Stars are out first round.

Guest mateus
The Stars are out first round.

might be better than a certain montreal team which cant seem to get its act together...

i say dallas-san jose for the western final

-Matt

might be better than a certain montreal team which cant seem to get its act together...

i say dallas-san jose for the western final

-Matt

My thoughts as well. It's finally Turco's year, I can feel it. And the Sharks have been my Western pick since the start of the season.

I am disappointed to see that Dallas didn't do much at the deadline; I don't know if Nagy is enough for them.

Guest kevinfansdeshabs
My thoughts as well. It's finally Turco's year, I can feel it. And the Sharks have been my Western pick since the start of the season.

I am disappointed to see that Dallas didn't do much at the deadline; I don't know if Nagy is enough for them.

Dallas has a great group of young and veteran players.

They can have problem whit the offense but when morrow will be back. They will have 3 good lines

Morrow-Modano-Lethinen

Nagy-Ribeiro- Ericksson or Morrow

The third line cab be whit miettien-jokinen-lindros or barnes whit hagman halpern

in the defense is a strong group

Zubov boucher

Sydor Norstrom

Robidas Daley

Guest mateus

definatly

the west is the conference to watch during the playoffs, this year especially!

go ribs go!!!

-Matt

• 2 weeks later...
Guest CanadianMike

this is what I posted in the other topic.

As much as I hate him, some of what he says is true. I was the happiest guy when he got traded (more because I hate Mike Ribeiro's ego and style), and now why is he the ex-Hab to have the last laugh?

*hits head on desk*

oh and LOL we would have never guessed that he didn't like the gym mr toothpick! ;) What he doesn't get is how much better he would be if he bulked up a little.

Archived