The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Mike Ribeiro

jl-1

Guest CanadianMike
Bash him all you like but the truth is that Ribs would have served us much better than Ninnimma.. And you cant tell me his "replacement" Samsonov was any better..

Although he was horrid in the playoffs last year at least with him on the team we may have made the playoffs.

Samsonov was supposed to be Zed/Bulis upgrade...nothing to do with Ribs.

Guest P.Royfan
ho so true, and he wasnt one to complain to the press about "lack of ice time" nor did he complain when we put him on the 4th line.

name that russian superstar everyone!

-Matt

Of coarse he wasn't complaining about icetime cause he was too busy getting benched by Julien (coach at the time) for not comming of the ice when told too.

Guest Koivu Fan
Well maybe if he continues to put up some nice numbers in Dallas, he'll be one of the few good players who wants to come to Montreal when he becomes a UFA...

Forget that, we have Plekanec who is just as good and makes way less money. Not to mention Tomas actually tries, and doesnt dive.

give them a chance to get to know him!

They only see the birght side - They traded away an under-performing player in Niinimaa and got a 60 point centerman. They have not seen his immatury, disappointments and floating in the same light as us.

You're right CM, give them time!

Bash him all you like but the truth is that Ribs would have served us much better than Ninnimma.. And you cant tell me his "replacement" Samsonov was any better..

Although he was horrid in the playoffs last year at least with him on the team we may have made the playoffs.

Niinimaa actually served us much better in the long run - Gainey was trading away Ribs' salary. Next year, Niinimaa walks, we free up the space of TWO under performing players and it gives us a net gain of the 1.9 mil that Ribs was making to resign our better players or go after a marquee UFA player.

Guest FunkyOne
Niinimaa actually served us much better in the long run - Gainey was trading away Ribs' salary. Next year, Niinimaa walks, we free up the space of TWO under performing players and it gives us a net gain of the 1.9 mil that Ribs was making to resign our better players or go after a marquee UFA player.

Someone is fantastic at math ;)

Ribs was a Free Agent this season, if Gainey didn't like his performance this summer he could've not been signed, instead of adding more than half a million in cap salary for a severely below average defenseman.

Besides, do you honestly think that Bob Gainey, Mr. I'm-gonna-sign-Samsonov is going to get a Marquee player this summer? We're going to coast on luck, and luck alone for yet another disappointing season.

Guest habfan in leafland

If there's any fans of Ribeiro here, Sports Rosseau on St-Jean Bvld has a Habs jersey with Ribeiro name and number on it for $99.00. Not a bad deal if you like sub-par players. ;)

If there's any fans of Ribeiro here, Sports Rosseau on St-Jean Bvld has a Habs jersey with Ribeiro name and number on it for $99.00. Not a bad deal if you like sub-par players. :)

I wonder if they'd pay me $100 to take it away from their inventory, then I could remove the name and number on it... ;)

Guest habs_fan1160
If there's any fans of Ribeiro here, Sports Rosseau on St-Jean Bvld has a Habs jersey with Ribeiro name and number on it for $99.00. Not a bad deal if you like sub-par players. ;)

Lol...that's even still a little pricey.

However, you could remove the name and number and replace it with someone who counts. :)

• 4 months later...

Wow that google translated article makes almost no sense. I am sure it was a great article though, dam my handicap in English or I might have been able to read the French article.

lol been a while since i heard about this guy

Must be a big change, if u sneeze here its in the papers and the talk shows, there he could crash his car into a ditch, and no one would care......................

Whole different world.

Who wouldnt want a more slack job that pays better?

Guest kevinfansdeshabs

Mike is starting to get the number 1 center line.

Tonigth vs the ducks, he plays on the first line with brendan morrow and Jere Lethinen. Modano play with Jokinen and Hagman.

The lines of ribeiro is called the top line of the stars vs the ducks by the people who does the commentary. Ribeiro plays very well vs the ducks. 1 goal 1 assist and +2

Am I the only one who thinks that if he didn't have any history with the Canadiens, he would be a good fit here?

What " history " does he have with Montreal, other than he lives in Montreal

Besides he's a centre and he would never take Saku 's spot and Plekanecs is a better all round " professional " hockey player than Ribiero

What " history " does he have with Montreal, other than he lives in Montreal

Besides he's a centre and he would never take Saku 's spot and Plekanecs is a better all round " professional " hockey player than Ribiero

I think he's saying that if he had never played here and become so hated by fans, right now would we be talking about him for trade talk and all that?

Guest Gumper-73
Am I the only one who thinks that if he didn't have any history with the Canadiens, he would be a good fit here?

His history was that he was a whiny, soft, 'my points' first player who did more harm then good. Maybe he had grown up a little but we have a player by the name of Plekanec who can center my second line any day and has the heart of a lion. No team managed by Bob Gainey and coached bu Guy Carbonneau would have a player like Ribiero for long!

Guest ComeBackStanley

here's a translation of the article...will do my best to keep it word for word but it'll make more sense then the gogle translation.

the bold part basically says that in hindsight mike would have done anything to stay with the habs, work harder and acted differently and that he had been bitter and wish he could take that back.

for the article:

It was a year ago. after 6 seasons with the Canadiens, Ribiero, a proud montrealer, was traded to the Dallas Stars in return for Janne niinimaa. observers would realise, a bad exchange for the Habs, yes, but an trade that had little to do with hockey. This because in mike ribeiro, the management saw, before all, a problem player.

For this reason the trade with dallas. (they use the word bacle which i have no clue what it means, i'm assuming its something along the lines of bad or uneven or something)

We know what happened next: Ribiero ends the 2006-07 season with 59 points, a good accumalation. Niinimaa would end his season in the press box. and Ribiero will also use any occasion to bad talk (only translation i could come p with anyone has better?) to his old team.

"i wish the Canadiens miss the playoffs" he had said

"I think i was frustrated last season" the centre recognizes this year. "i missed montreal last year, i did not want to leave and i was bitter. When i made the comment about the playoffs, it was frustration ore than any thing else. i regret it. I am from montreal of course i would like to see them make the playoffs"

Ribiero does not make excuses: if he is not wearing the habs colors today, it is before all his own fault. He knows that hanging out with Theo and Dagenais had the bell center talking and that his casual look didn't please the general manager Bob Gainey.

"There was complaints about the way i dressed, that's how bad it came down to. For sure i could have given more, I was upbraided for not spending enough time in the gym, that i did not work hard enough during training. I could have done better, but i'm not the kind of person to give it my all during training. but i would have liked to have a chance. When i was traded, the discussion with Gainey was 10 seconds long, i don't even know if Carbo knew anything about this"

" For sure theo dagenais and myself annoyed some. we had our clique. but so did the russians as well as the Tcheks. There was Souray and Rivet...that's the habs. There's a bunch of cliques. But peope only talked about us: me theo and dagenais, the three "Quebequois" When they got rid of Theo and Degenais i thought they were going to give me a chance and keep me. but that didn't happen"

A bit later Ribiero says that he misses the circus that Montreal was. He misses the media and its critics, the ever watching fans and the inevetible pressure that follows members of the CH everywhere. Something that has nothing to do with the quiet enviornment of the Dallas Stars. In this corner of Texas, Ribeiro skates with a presence almost unknown to anyone.

"When i'm out, hardly any one recognizes me. The media doesn't even talk to me. Even if i play a good match, they will go see Modano, Morrow ou Zubov. Hockey here is very far behind the Cowboys and the Mavericks (NBA). Its ok, i like it. But i also liked all the attentio that was given towards the montreal canadiens."

At 27, Ribeiro would not mind getting a long term contract. He is a free agent at the end of this season and he would like to continue playing with the Stars. He likes the town, the team as well as watching his sons baseball games. "Its fun for the family around here" he says smiling.

Ribeiro also knows he will need to be more constant on the ice. He's optimistic: in three games with dallas this season, he has one goal and 2 passes (assists i guess).

"The trainer has confidence in me, there's a positive vibe around this team" he concludes. " but For sure i have to be more consistant as a player. I also need to be a better player than last year"

and that's the translation. if anyone wants to fix something here and there go ahead but i think this is a pretty good translation for something done at 4 am! lol :P

Archived