The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Mike Ribeiro

jl-1

Anyone see him play tonight

What a goal, what a pass hes facing the boards, he has 2 guys on him, he slides the puck between his legs to the middle of the ice, Gives zubov pretty much a break on the goalie.

Hes Hot i tell ya!

He's killing the West. Who woulda thought it?

Wait until the playoffs before being too surprised. Ribero had amazing hockey sense and great skill. Plekanek will never have the same pure hockey skill he does. But his skating, defensive play, and work ethic will catch up with him. I don't really care how he's doing there, I'm glad he's gone. It's unfair to deny his skill and vision, but it just wasn't worth it.

Guest habsfan#08
Wait until the playoffs before being too surprised. Ribero had amazing hockey sense and great skill. Plekanek will never have the same pure hockey skill he does. But his skating, defensive play, and work ethic will catch up with him. I don't really care how he's doing there, I'm glad he's gone. It's unfair to deny his skill and vision, but it just wasn't worth it.

That may be but, he's a great fit in Dallas, the team defense (and Turco) are so good that he's racking up tons of points in a defensive system.

Guest AlexOscar

I said this same thing when he first moved to Dallas. There's no room for ego there when you simply look at the players they have and their achievements. So it's the best place for him to be and it looks like it's panning out for him too. :)

I wish him continued success in Dallas.

Wow, Saddens me to see we received Ninima for ribs last year, Wow this guy is good,

im watching the game thats on right now, in the second period alone, he scored 1 goal, and 2 assists,

His vision, his tape to tape passing,

WOW, something to watch i tell you, watch the highlights on the dallas game,

Guest spankydriscoll

clap clap

I think everyone agree's it was a good unload, just for what we got in return its hurting, as hes on fire :)

it was obviously a tough sell. I think at the time it came down to either Niniimaa or Waivers - and Gainey chose some defensive depth.

its a catch 22 because while ribs probably would have scored more even in montreal, would we risk the damage to the team to showcase him for a year, 2 or 3 (until he reached his potential) - so that we could get a better return on him - or do we cut our loses & remove the cancer from the team - even though that meant smaller return in a trade.

It looks like now, 14+months later, he has grown up a lot...the sad part is that I dont think he could have done that if he had remained in montreal.

Guest voicemajor2000

Ribs needed to go... it s sad, but true. Ribs and Theo were bad blood in the room, and since they have left, it seems that Koivu has a lot more control of the room, and there is a good atmosphere and team spirit. We ALL knew Ribs had the goods, but sometimes it doesn't matter HOW talented you are, your attitude can negate the talent. My concern is that we didn't get enogh FOR ribs. Niniima was o.k., but we gave Dallas it's leading scorer... I'm surprised that Gainey didn't get more. I guess he just wanted to get him out, and fix the attitude of the team. Best of luck Ribs, you were a good Hab, and could have OWNED this city, if you had only applied yourself a bit more.

Guest RedLightRacicot
Ribs needed to go... it s sad, but true. Ribs and Theo were bad blood in the room, and since they have left, it seems that Koivu has a lot more control of the room, and there is a good atmosphere and team spirit. We ALL knew Ribs had the goods, but sometimes it doesn't matter HOW talented you are, your attitude can negate the talent. My concern is that we didn't get enogh FOR ribs. Niniima was o.k., but we gave Dallas it's leading scorer... I'm surprised that Gainey didn't get more. I guess he just wanted to get him out, and fix the attitude of the team. Best of luck Ribs, you were a good Hab, and could have OWNED this city, if you had only applied yourself a bit more.

I think it's pretty safe to say that Gainey was at a point of weakness at the time of the trade, the Ribeiro soap opera was aired for all the league to see. I guess he did what he needed to do but I think everyone expected at least a little more from Ninima and that has certainly made the trade look worse.

Ribs is 20th in player rankings on TSN!!!

Great chemistry between him and Morrow this season on their top line.

IMO i think the Koivu clique should take some blame for throwing the most talented forward we had under the bus.

IMO i think the Koivu clique should take some blame for throwing the most talented forward we had under the bus.

:lol:

The 3 Amigos should take responsibility for themselves

One is playing in Europe

One is a back up goalie who when his contract expires may end up ............I dunno without a contract ? :huh:

And the other is in Dallas apparently playing well

:lol:

The 3 Amigos should take responsibility for themselves

One is playing in Europe

One is a back up goalie who when his contract expires may end up ............I dunno without a contract ? :huh:

And the other is in Dallas apparently playing well

on pace for 114 pts.

Where are Rivet and Souray?

Anyways i don't see how we(the fans) can possibly know what went on in the locker room.

on pace for 114 pts.

Anyways i don't see how we(the fans) can possibly know what went on in the locker room.

on pace doesn't mean he will make it.

Markov is on pace for 76 points but I can't see him reaching it.

On pace means if nothing goes wrong and they keep their current streak over 82 games which is very hard thing to do.

I'll say it again, Ribeiro said himself it was time to grow up and he is growing up, good for him but honestly? He would never be able to do it here.

on pace for 114 pts.

I find that odd because for Carbonneau and such everything is "well we don't know what goes on in the locker room" etc. Then there's Ribeiro where apparently everyone knew everything that went on throughout his life as a Hab thus all this crazy judgement.

on pace doesn't mean he will make it.

Markov is on pace for 76 points but I can't see him reaching it.

On pace means if nothing goes wrong and they keep their current streak over 82 games which is very hard thing to do.

I'll say it again, Ribeiro said himself it was time to grow up and he is growing up, good for him but honestly? He would never be able to do it here.

It also means he can get more points then what he is on pace for, in any case I think our habs core and depth is still great, I'm just happy that he is proving some critics wrong.

It also means he can get more points then what he is on pace for, in any case I think our habs core and depth is still great, I'm just happy that he is proving some critics wrong.

We knew he had talent ; his maturity level just wasn't there yet.

I , for one, don't regret BG's decision to trade him away.

Guest Gumper-73

He's out of spotlight that he craved but ultimately did him more harm then good. It's fine that he's now playing well but the critics main problems with him were things that he created. Ribiero wrote his ticket out of Montreal and diminshed his value to us in the process. In my books that makes him the enemy. He can score all he wants I'm glad he's gone. Good riddance then and good riddance now!

I just dont understand how HE was the problem?..his "maturity level just wasn't there yet"?

How do can you weigh maturity...If maturity takes time, then why get rid of him after only 2-3 full seasons?..some people are late bloomers.

I do agree the fact that now he's out of the spotlight in Dallas, so less preasure on him.

Erase your "i love the habs now!!!!" bias and i think you'll see that Ribs for Nina was a bad move. He could have taken Saku's place in 3-5 yrs on the 1st line... Pleks is never going to be a number 1 center...neither is Grabs or any other of our prospects.

Guest Gumper-73
I just dont understand how HE was the problem?..his "maturity level just wasn't there yet"?

How do can you weigh maturity...If maturity takes time, then why get rid of him after only 2-3 full seasons?..some people are late bloomers.

I do agree the fact that now he's out of the spotlight in Dallas, so less preasure on him.

Erase your "i love the habs now!!!!" bias and i think you'll see that Ribs for Nina was a bad move. He could have taken Saku's place in 3-5 yrs on the 1st line... Pleks is never going to be a number 1 center...neither is Grabs or any other of our prospects.

Ahhh you make me gag! A team of Plaekanec's would destroy a team full of Rbiero's. And the day Mike Ribiero is my number one center is the day I become a Leafs fan. Carbo and Gainey understand what winning hockey looks like and Ribiero didn't make the cut. He puts up points now and that makes him a great player all of a sudden? No way! He's finally doing what he was supposed to do in the first place (offense only middle man). I just don't see much more then that. You have to compensate for all his other deficiencies. Pleks has a similar skill set, can skate and is as good defensively as he is offensively. And don't worry Ribs will find a way to mess up in Dallas too. Ninnimaa's contract coming off the books cleared room for the signing of Hamrlik. Now make your choice: Ribs or Hammer?

Guest Gumper-73
I agree, it was sourray for Hammer,

We all agree hammer is the right choice there, but Ribs or nina, ribs is the right choice

Souray made 2.3 mil last year, Ninnimaa if I recall was around 2.2 (correct me if I'm wrong). Take those two off the books and add in Hamrlik and the cap increase and that's my point.

I don't see how getting rid of a poisonous player is a bad thing. Ribiero had to go, I don't believe there were many suitors for his talent. Look where we are now. Case closed.

Archived