The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Mike Ribeiro

jl-1

Guest lisa_11

Eh, what can you do?

I remember him saying he didn't want us to make the playoffs last year, but it's normal for any player I guess. Just keep it to yourself, 'cause you're not doing yourself a favour by saying it out loud.

I've never been a huge fan, but Ribeiro's doing great this year in Dallas, and frankly, good for him.

Whether or not he would've done the same in Montreal, we don't know.

Dallas is a better place for him and has less distractions.

I was totally fine with him leaving the Habs. I had no problem with it.

Well, except that we got Niinimma in return <_<

Guest FunkyOne
Did anyone see him being interviewed following the Stars win on Friday night? When asked what was the reason as to why his game has picked up considerably, he said that he has great coaching and that they (coaches) believe in him. And he goes on to say that he has great players playing with him. You could do anything when you have a "great team" behind you.

Now I wouldn't thunk nothing much of that because after all, interviews are usually the same blah blah. But when he said the very same thing twice in that tone, it was quite obvious that he was getting a dig in. I had a gut feeling about this guy when he played in MTL, and after listening to him last night, I knew that I was right. I didn't like him then and I don't now.

It's an insane and inane assumption to think that Ribs was taking a shot at MTL and Gainey.

He was happy for the team and himself and was talking highly of them, a player in his position wouldn't give a second thought to montreal and our management, a year and 3 months after we abruptly traded him.

I'm happy he's doing alright, and I won't lie, I'm envious that he's doing better than we are. But if you do want to peg him down, do it for more concrete reasons.

I also noticed something that really disturbed me. I always check his game highlights and I see plays and moves that would never happen in montreal. I really do think that if we had Ribs instead of say Ryder or Kovalev we would be better off right now. But Ribs won't come back (Anglo fans hate him too, just check this thread and contrast with the French ones...) and for good reason, our system is stifling and our management is running in neutral, not rebuilding and not trading and not signing anything notable. It's our (Gainey's...) fault for not trusting the guy to mature on-ice, but now that he did we should be at least happy for the guy, he's what 27 and having a great year and all signs are pointing towards bigger opportunities. + To him for growing up, - To every montreal fan that is bitter and is still knocking on the guy.

Guest "Rocket"

One of my friend from texas was talking to me about a very interesting article about Ribeiro in the dallas newspapers, y'all take a wild guess about what was it about?

Ribeiro nightlife in Dallas lol (he's a huge fan of the hip hop community and the hip hop scene is just huge out there in Texas)

So i highly doubt that was the problem in Montreal. :huh:

I have to give it to the guy, i think he's right when he's talking about the canadiens, we have issues on our own. :angry:

Anyway good for him, now he's got the best of both world, he's partying off the ice, and he's making points on the ice. lol

Guest habsgal
It's an insane and inane assumption to think that Ribs was taking a shot at MTL and Gainey.

He was happy for the team and himself and was talking highly of them, a player in his position wouldn't give a second thought to montreal and our management, a year and 3 months after we abruptly traded him.

I'm happy he's doing alright, and I won't lie, I'm envious that he's doing better than we are. But if you do want to peg him down, do it for more concrete reasons.

I also noticed something that really disturbed me. I always check his game highlights and I see plays and moves that would never happen in montreal. I really do think that if we had Ribs instead of say Ryder or Kovalev we would be better off right now. But Ribs won't come back (Anglo fans hate him too, just check this thread and contrast with the French ones...) and for good reason, our system is stifling and our management is running in neutral, not rebuilding and not trading and not signing anything notable. It's our (Gainey's...) fault for not trusting the guy to mature on-ice, but now that he did we should be at least happy for the guy, he's what 27 and having a great year and all signs are pointing towards bigger opportunities. + To him for growing up, - To every montreal fan that is bitter and is still knocking on the guy.

It's not inane or insane - I read right through the guy and so did my company. He got his dig in, no doubt about what I listened to. Like I said, it was the usual, typical hockey interview UNTIl he got his barbs in twice in the same tone and a couple of seconds a part. I don't need to be analytical or whatever, I know what he meant after a few seconds of making me yawn. It was very obvious to us. And I don't care what he has done thus far, good for him. However, his pot-shot(s) the other night only convinces all the more that this guy was as self centered as they come while donning a Habs uni. Good riddance!

Guest FunkyOne
It's not inane or insane - I read right through the guy and so did my company. He got his dig in, no doubt about what I listened to. Like I said, it was the usual, typical hockey interview UNTIl he got his barbs in twice in the same tone and a couple of seconds a part. I don't need to be analytical or whatever, I know what he meant after a few seconds of making me yawn. It was very obvious to us. And I don't care what he has done thus far, good for him. However, his pot-shot(s) the other night only convinces all the more that this guy was as self centered as they come while donning a Habs uni. Good riddance!

You obviously are bitter about the trade, and you know MTL got the much shorter (and more expensive) end of the stick. The "good riddance" just proves it too.

See, I can assume things too, just as you did.

Guest 1970 Habs
Ribs Grew up, plain and simple. No more Montreal to lean back on, he was a big fan favourite due to being a hometown hero. When he got traded he had to grow up as he had to bring his family to Dallas.

If ribs were still a Hab, i doubt that he would be anymore then a 70 point scorer, players need a change of atmosphere, ribs was one of them.

Well I would take any 70 pt player right about now.

Did anyone see him being interviewed following the Stars win on Friday night? When asked what was the reason as to why his game has picked up considerably, he said that he has great coaching and that they (coaches) believe in him. And he goes on to say that he has great players playing with him. You could do anything when you have a "great team" behind you.

Now I wouldn't thunk nothing much of that because after all, interviews are usually the same blah blah. But when he said the very same thing twice in that tone, it was quite obvious that he was getting a dig in. I had a gut feeling about this guy when he played in MTL, and after listening to him last night, I knew that I was right. I didn't like him then and I don't now.

The truth is he is playing with some great players in Dallas and the coaching staff there have definitely shown confidence in him as he is leading the team on the first line and the team in goals and plus/minus.

I am happy he is having a great season; he is 17th in points and tied for 22nd in plus minus in the NHL right now.

You're probably not the only one, Miltie.

But, it seems to be very hard for most people to see the good in both sides of the situation. I for one liked Ribeiro, but with everything going wrong in Montreal, he needed a fresh start somewhere else. This was for the better of both teams -- he accepted it, and moved on. Considering that he was moving away from his long-time home, he took it pretty well.

And now, he is playing very well elsewhere -- but too many people refuse to recognize that he's changed. He's changed his game and he's matured as a person, and even with wrongdoings in the past, that commands respect in my books.

Guest thefooligan5
You're probably not the only one, Miltie.

But, it seems to be very hard for most people to see the good in both sides of the situation. I for one liked Ribeiro, but with everything going wrong in Montreal, he needed a fresh start somewhere else. This was for the better of both teams -- he accepted it, and moved on. Considering that he was moving away from his long-time home, he took it pretty well.

And now, he is playing very well elsewhere -- but too many people refuse to recognize that he's changed. He's changed his game and he's matured as a person, and even with wrongdoings in the past, that commands respect in my books.

i for one can understand that the trade was 'good,' in a manner of speaking for both sides: ribs got a frwsh start and montreal got rid of an arguably immature kid.

But, what is hardest to swallow is that Dallas got a PPG + player out of the deal and Montreal got a guy who didn't even last a full season with the team. So in that respect, the deal was wholly unfair and most likely a bad one on Gainey's part. People say that it is fine because we have Plekanec to replace Ribs, but maybe the habs could have at least gotten some trade bait out of the Ribeiro trade. Instead they got a good-spirited metal-head who isn't that good of an NHL player. Some may say that perhaps that is all Gainey was able to get for a guy like Ribeiro, but I highly doubt it considering he was a fairly productive player in a defensive system and for all his misgivings, he was still young and had plenty of time to grow up. Gainey dropped the ball on that one but none the less, I am very happy for Ribeiro and hope that he will be able to crack 100 pts in the near future (after all he is on pace for 90pts this season at on 27 years of age).

Guest 1970 Habs
i for one can understand that the trade was 'good,' in a manner of speaking for both sides: ribs got a frwsh start and montreal got rid of an arguably immature kid.

But, what is hardest to swallow is that Dallas got a PPG + player out of the deal and Montreal got a guy who didn't even last a full season with the team. So in that respect, the deal was wholly unfair and most likely a bad one on Gainey's part. People say that it is fine because we have Plekanec to replace Ribs, but maybe the habs could have at least gotten some trade bait out of the Ribeiro trade. Instead they got a good-spirited metal-head who isn't that good of an NHL player. Some may say that perhaps that is all Gainey was able to get for a guy like Ribeiro, but I highly doubt it considering he was a fairly productive player in a defensive system and for all his misgivings, he was still young and had plenty of time to grow up. Gainey dropped the ball on that one but none the less, I am very happy for Ribeiro and hope that he will be able to crack 100 pts in the near future (after all he is on pace for 90pts this season at on 27 years of age).

It sure would be nice to see him crack the 100 pt mark sometime in his career. :D

According to Mike Boone of Habs I/O, Demers was saying that it's very hard to come by that talent and that it's up to the organization to work through the follies of a players youth. (something our organization refused to do)

Guest Miltie01
According to Mike Boone of Habs I/O, Demers was saying that it's very hard to come by that talent and that it's up to the organization to work through the follies of a players youth. (something our organization refused to do)

Refused ......I somehow doubt it, left without any choice, that is more like it !!!!

Refused ......I somehow doubt it, left without any choice, that is more like it !!!!

Of course he left without any choice.. he got traded at the first chance they got before the season even started.

Guest Miltie01
Of course he left without any choice.. he got traded at the first chance they got before the season even started.

You know what I said.

When someone has the attitude of entitlement it is a bad , bad situation.

The organization did what it could and then decided it was time to move on.

Mike Ribeiro should thank Bob Gainey.

It wasn't until he was traded that he realized the world did not owe him anything, and that he would have to earn the lifestyle he wanted !!!

Guest patrickroycareyprice

I cant believe Gainey Traded Ribs for something thats worth less then gaytorade. I would have been ok with the trade if it was for a 2nd round pick and 6th round pick for Ribs + 7th round pick. But no, he rather trade something worth less then gaytorade for Ribs.

To Dallas:

Ribeirio

7th round pick

To montreal:

Niniama :angry:

6th round pick

Guest Miltie01
I cant believe Gainey Traded Ribs for something thats worth less then gaytorade. I would have been ok with the trade if it was for a 2nd round pick and 6th round pick for Ribs + 7th round pick. But no, he rather trade something worth less then gaytorade for Ribs.

To Dallas:

Ribeirio

7th round pick

To montreal:

Niniama :angry:

6th round pick

That speaks more to the value of Ribs more than the player we got in return.

When we traded him HE was a huge risk for the team picking him up.

I was glad when he was traded, I was glad last year, but with hindsight, maybe it wasn't the best decision. Ribs has his problems, and it wasn't worth it for a 60 point player, but for someone on pace for 44 goals ande 90 points, I'd live with it. Were we too impatient and not willing to put up with the growing pains? Now of course, he may not hit the projected stats, and he may not play well int he playoffs. But this is the first time I'm starting to doubt that Gainey made the right move.

It wasn't until he was traded that he realized the world did not owe him anything, and that he would have to earn the lifestyle he wanted !!!
But he had another 60 point season in Dallas last year. So the question is: is he better because he's in Dallas, or were we simply impatient and got rid of him a year or two too soon?

Guest habs_fan1160

If we would have beat Dallas last night this thread would be all about "Ohh, I'm glad we traded Riberio he sucked." and "Who needs him." Etc., etc.... the only reason why it's not is because they spanked us last night and he got three points.

Guest lisa_11

Did we even care this much when Theodore came back? I have a hard time remembering.

The fact is Theodore wasn't a baby/ jerk when he got traded.

& to be honest, I was sad when he did.

But you would think Theo would be more bitter than Ribeiro..

Ribeiro's the one who publicly said he didn't want the Habs to get into playoffs last year, and said, last night before the game, something along the lines "We'll win. We'll beat them 1-0 (or something)".

Sure, he's doing good in Dallas, but would he have here? Who knows.

Like I mentioned in my earlier post, I'm not one of those saying "Oh, I wish we didn't trade Ribeiro". 'Cause I didn't care.

It's the fact that we got Niinnima in return.

He just gets under my skin. <_<

Archived