The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens

Mike Ribeiro

jl-1

Guest habs_fan1160
He just gets under my skin. <_<

Same and he's a very classless player. Who wishes their former team doesn't get into the playoffs? (At least publically). He was immature about the whole deal and annoying when he was here - even if we did get Niinimaa for him, at least he's not here anymore.

People keep talking about his bad attitude and everything when he was in Montreal.. how exactly was his attitude bad and how was it hurting the team?

Same with him liking the club scene.. how was that bad for the team?

Guest habs_fan1160
People keep talking about his bad attitude and everything when he was in Montreal.. how exactly was his attitude bad and how was it hurting the team?

Same with him liking the club scene.. how was that bad for the team?

Him calling out Koivu and doubting his leadership to the team...probably wasn't exactly the best attitude. Saying, after he was traded, that he hopes the Canadiens don't make the playoffs - bad attitude, not to mention classless...

Liking the club, not so much...but if he's out partying at all hrs of the night, it could definately hurt the team...but no one knows if that was the case or not.

Plus at the time of the trade, I believe I read that he wanted a change, so how is that Gainey's fault? You can't exactly hang onto a player, keep paying him and hoping he produces if he's unhappy with the team or the situation.

If we would have beat Dallas last night this thread would be all about "Ohh, I'm glad we traded Riberio he sucked." and "Who needs him." Etc., etc.... the only reason why it's not is because they spanked us last night and he got three points.

For me, the only connection to last night is that it made me look up his stat sheet - didn't realize he was still on pace for the great numbers.

Same and he's a very classless player. Who wishes their former team doesn't get into the playoffs? (At least publically). He was immature about the whole deal and annoying when he was here - even if we did get Niinimaa for him, at least he's not here anymore.
But honestly that is a completely reasonable position to have. When you are kciekd off of a team (sports, work, or otherwise) you tend to hold a bit of a grudge and want them to think they made a mistake in losing you. We get way to upset when players say something that isn't one of the "standard lines".
Like I mentioned in my earlier post, I'm not one of those saying "Oh, I wish we didn't trade Ribeiro". 'Cause I didn't care.It's the fact that we got Niinnima in return.
Well the options were basically get rid of him for almost nothing, or keep him. Getting Crosby in return was not an option.

You know what I said.

When someone has the attitude of entitlement it is a bad , bad situation.

The organization did what it could and then decided it was time to move on.

Mike Ribeiro should thank Bob Gainey.

It wasn't until he was traded that he realized the world did not owe him anything, and that he would have to earn the lifestyle he wanted !!!

I was listening to Ribs being interviewed on the Dallas feed and he actually was very genuine in his gratitude to Bob Gainey for trading him to a team like Dallas. He knew he could have been dealt to a bottom feeder, which would have been terrible for his career. He realized that he had a lot of growing up to do, and that he was eternally grateful to BG.

Guest FunkyOne

He apologized for that in an interview with the Gazette afterwards, but you seem to have selective memory ;)

Guest thefooligan5
If we would have beat Dallas last night this thread would be all about "Ohh, I'm glad we traded Riberio he sucked." and "Who needs him." Etc., etc.... the only reason why it's not is because they spanked us last night and he got three points.

the fact remains, had the habs completely shut down Ribeiro last night and beat the Stars to boot, Ribeiro would still have been scoring at over one PPG for the season. It just happened that he had a spectacular game against the habs in an otherwise great season.

If he didn't mean it, he wouldn't have said it.

Not sure what you are getting at JL, but he apologized for it so can't that be a positive? Generally when comments are made that require a future apology, the person meant what they said but only later realized that it was not something appropriate to say. So frankly, who cares if he meant it. People think some terrible things, much worse than what Ribiero said, but not everyone knows to apologize for their mistake.

Guest FunkyOne
If he didn't mean it, he wouldn't have said it.

Damn JL you should really ease up on the drinks tonight ahaha

I never said that Ribs didn't mean it when he said he was glad the Habs were out of the playoffs, he did. He then realized it was a wrong thing to say and apologized for it.

I think that's better than not.

Damn JL you should really ease up on the drinks tonight ahaha

I never said that Ribs didn't mean it when he said he was glad the Habs were out of the playoffs, he did. He then realized it was a wrong thing to say and apologized for it.

I think that's better than not.

I didn't have any alcohol so far this Christmas... but that will change tonight. :P

Ribeiro is a weasel, he was a cancer here in the dressing room and that's why he was traded. Had it not been of that, you can bet that he'd still been here today. There are things happening behind the scene that we don't see.

Having said that, hats off to him for realizing that he had to change and being traded from his home town gave him the kick in the right place to wake him up and he did. Good for him. I'm not sure that he would have done that had he still been here. I think that being the big fish in the pound got to his head and when he got to the ocean, he realized that he's really a very small fish in the Dallas market where no one knows him on the street, as the Stars are far behind the Cowboys and the Mavericks in popularity.

My two cents.

How can you say he was a cancer in the dressing room when you say we don't know what goes on behind the scenes?

Because it was reported in the media, with this whole story of Koivu vs Ribeiro, Dagenais vs Rivet, etc... His nightlife and other antics were also well documented... Why else would we have traded him?

Guest habs_fan1160
He apologized for that in an interview with the Gazette afterwards, but you seem to have selective memory ;)

Who cares if he "apologized" for it or not. It was likely a movie that his agent made him do incase down the road he might have to come back....

If he said it, in the public to the media he obviously thought about what he was going to say before hand. Obviously he meant what he said.

Guest FunkyOne
Who cares if he "apologized" for it or not. It was likely a movie that his agent made him do incase down the road he might have to come back....

If he said it, in the public to the media he obviously thought about what he was going to say before hand. Obviously he meant what he said.

Please...

a ) We all know that he meant what he said, I would too.

b ) It was an intimate interview and he said a bunch of stuff to Jack Todd, including that he wishes success for the team

c ) I've noticed that if you dislike a player, you just do whatever you can to put that player down. Not just Ribs, but Crosby too.

b ) It was an intimate interview and he said a bunch of stuff to Jack Todd, including that he wishes success for the team

An "intimate" interview to a reporter isn't so "intimate", if you know what I mean. ;)

Do you blame him though? I'm sure all players feel the same way fro awhile - I know I would. I think the reason the "apology" matters is it shows he realized it may not have been appropriate to say (even when I thought trading him was 100% the right move - I never got the big deal with this though). If he did ask for a trade though, then it was innapropriate to say. If he was traded against his will - I don't blame him.

Guest Norutrat
Ribeiro is a weasel, he was a cancer here in the dressing room and that's why he was traded. Had it not been of that,

really? how so? You were there? i think he was friendly with pretty much all the players in that team... I saw him chit chat with a bunch of habs players, like Komisarek, before the game the other night and didnt see anyone trying to go at him during the game.. please explain yourself.. :huh:

and btw, when you remove a cancer, the person is actually suppose to get better lol.. since he left, the habs havent gotten better.. they in fact missed the playoff last year..

Because it was reported in the media, with this whole story of Koivu vs Ribeiro, Dagenais vs Rivet, etc... His nightlife and other antics were also well documented... Why else would we have traded him?

oh give me a break.. the koivu incident? thats your proof?? haha... alot of things happened after that and theres nothing to indicate that they didnt make up after the incident... I actually heard Ribero often praise Koivu after a game, or heard about Ribeiro getting well with other players after Theo and Dangenais left... etc.. And his night life? What does that have to do with the dressing room? Ever heard of Corson or Chelios.. Ribs has nothing on them...

They traded him because Ribeiro played poorly that year with Pierre "i play in Europe now, on the 4th line" Dagenais and evidently, Gainey didnt like Ribeiro style and attitude... he thought Plekanec would be better and that was it...

Another 3 point night tonight with 1 goal and 2 assists. He's now sitting at 20 goals and 22 assists.

It's crazy how he's already matched his season high in goals(20) less than halfway through the season.

Guest mtl1010
Another 3 point night tonight with 1 goal and 2 assists. He's now sitting at 20 goals and 22 assists.

It's crazy how he's already matched his season high in goals(20) less than halfway through the season.

I never had anything against him so congrats, he has improved since he got traded and seems like he changed alot (in a positive way), and I have to respect that, so good luck to Mr. Rebiero for the rest of the seson

Guest Habanero

I just love how people are attempting to rewrite history. Suddenly Ribs wasn't a problem when he was in Mtl? Wow. Love is blind. :)

I have no problems with Ribs doing good, it's obvious when he was here he was a very skilled player, and his numbers in junior were huge....

I wasn't sad to see Ribs go however.

Likely some have a different opinion, but it was pretty apparent to me, during the last Habs game and when Ribs was playing on a line with Lindros last year, that he is a perpetual floater. His game is not a gritty win the battles in the corner, type game, and in Dallas he doesn't have to play that game.

The only problem with that is playoff time. You can't play as soft as Ribs and still produce in the playoffs. Obviously he has limited play-off experience but all I remember was him absolutely dissappearing in the playoffs. (He was also -3 for Dallas last year in the playoffs)

Perhaps the "new Riberio" will prove me wrong, but I doubt it. In any event, whatever Mikey does he's too far away to effect what happens to the Habs....

Guest Habanero
I don't think it's so much that, it's moreso that when you remove a problem, it's supposed to make the team better. The sting of missing the playoffs still remains from time to time.

Ya I can definitely see that point.

I personally don't think Ribs would have been the difference last year. Not being able to keep the puck out of the Habs net has been the perenial problem and Ribs isn't exactly a Selke candidate. :)

But hey I kind of assumed Ribs would light it up after he left Mtl... Everyone plays better when they leave Mtl.

I just love how people are attempting to rewrite history. Suddenly Ribs wasn't a problem when he was in Mtl? Wow. Love is blind. :)

Here's where I see the difference: For a 60 point, poor defensive and no physical player, the problems are not worth it. But for someone who may score over 40 goals, I could live with tehse problems.

Archived