The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens

Mike Ribeiro

jl-1

I don't think it's so much that, it's moreso that when you remove a problem, it's supposed to make the team better. The sting of missing the playoffs still remains from time to time.

In theory, maybe. But there's no doubt that we removed skills at the same time. By removing cancer, you sometimes have to remove some crucial organs...

His fans don't want to admit he was a problem, that's fine. Believe that there was a conspiracy theory against Ribeiro, but we didn't get rid of the three Amigos just 'cause. ;)

Guest Norutrat
The only problem with that is playoff time. You can't play as soft as Ribs and still produce in the playoffs. Obviously he has limited play-off experience but all I remember was him absolutely dissappearing in the playoffs. (He was also -3 for Dallas last year in the playoffs)

haha.. sure.. you've watch the entire series or just looked at his stats from last year playoffs?? I watched the series and Ribs was THE most dominant forward for Dallas.. Stats are deceiving since they were playing against Luongo.. but nice try

haha.. sure.. you've watch the entire series or just looked at his stats from last year playoffs?? I watched the series and Ribs was THE most dominant forward for Dallas.. Stats are deceiving since they were playing against Luongo.. but nice try

I'm a Canucks' fans as well and I've watched that series. Ribeiro was not the best player for Dallas, he was pretty much inexistent. ;)

Guest Habanero

Wow. OK so Ribs being the best player on the ice for Dallas and Dallas still losing proves my point....

Him at his best was not able to do enough to win.

Obviously Luongo is good, but you can't get scored on more than you score and be considered dominant....

I watched the Habs series when he dissapeared...

and I've watched enough Dallas games to see that Ribs style is still the same...

Like when he played with Lindros, Lindros working in the corners while Ribs waits for a loose puck.

Oh I guess now it's Morrow doing the work in the corners....

He has skills but he plays too soft... That's why I'm glad he's gone.

I'm glad he can have success in Dallas, far far away from Montreal....

Guest mtl1010
Wow. OK so Ribs being the best player on the ice for Dallas and Dallas still losing proves my point....

Obviously Luongo is good, but you can't get scored on more than you score and be considered dominant....

I watched the Habs series when he dissapeared...

and I've watched enough Dallas games to see that Ribs style is still the same...

Like when he played with Lindros, Lindros working in the corners while Ribs waits for a loose puck.

Oh I guess now it's Morrow doing the work in the corners....

He has skills but he plays too soft... That's why I'm glad he's gone.

I'm glad he can have success in Dallas, far far away from Montreal....

Alot of players on our team are too soft with the puck too, do you want them gone? The fact that Rebiero is too soft on the puck is why he has to wait for the loose puck, you can't expect him to win the battle on the corners when that's not his style or strength. We have players who wait for the puck because we send someone who is good along the boards because that's their style, and then the person waiting takes the loose puck and try to make a play or something else.

His fans don't want to admit he was a problem, that's fine. Believe that there was a conspiracy theory against Ribeiro, but we didn't get rid of the three Amigos just 'cause. ;)

Nowhere am I saying he wasn't a problem. I was (and somewhat am) a fan of his, and I said (and believe I've done so in his thread) that he needed to be moved. I actually said in my post that it wasn't a case of him not being a problem. ;)

Guest Bobineau

Dallas has the 3rd best record in the league... :rolleyes: ..and their first line center used to be our whipping boy... :angry:

It's really not surprising to see Ribeiro perform, he's been given more ice time and better fitting linemates. I was never a big fan but to see him traded for nothing for subjective reasons was a really bad move.

Looking at the Habs performance since he was traded, it seems that he wasn't a problem after all. Ribeiro is another example from the long list of players that improved after leaving the Habs and that the real problem lies within the organization.

Guest LarryRobinson

Reading this thread is like watching a friend justify breaking up with the hottest girl in school. From the surface he has no excuse, but under the surface even the pretty girls have issues.

Guest thefooligan5
Reading this thread is like watching a friend justify breaking up with the hottest girl in school. From the surface he has no excuse, but under the surface even the pretty girls have issues.

oh my god I can't believe i get to be the first to respond to this one .....

i am too excited now i don't know what to say ....

when all else fails, repest what was already said ...

you just compared Ribeiro to the hottest girl in school.

i agree he is dainty, but none the less he's just not my type.

Guest Innis_Mor
Overall: (goals: 21) Tied for 8th in the NHL

Overall: (assists: 22) Tied for 32nd in the NHL

Overall: (points: 43) Tied for 13th in the NHL

:huh:

Niniwho?

Niniwitt (Habs), for the "soft" trade.

Overall: (goals: 21) Tied for 8th in the NHL

Overall: (assists: 22) Tied for 32nd in the NHL

Overall: (points: 43) Tied for 13th in the NHL

:huh:

Niniwho?

also...

Overall: (+/-: +12) Tied for 18th in the NHL

Overall: (P/G: 1.19) Tied for 11th in the NHL

Pierre Turgeon put up some decent stats too, but he was also soft, and sucked when it really counted.

I think Ribeiro falls into that mold.

Let's wait a few years before comparing the two. Turgeon was a heck of a player for many years. This is only Ribeiro's first year producing at that rate.

Ribeiro is a weasel, he was a cancer here in the dressing room and that's why he was traded. Had it not been of that, you can bet that he'd still been here today. There are things happening behind the scene that we don't see. My two cents.

No question about that. There is no way on earth that gainey moved him for Niinimaa without trying all other options - no other team wanted him, im sure, and we got what we got.

Guest 1970 Habs
No question about that. There is no way on earth that gainey moved him for Niinimaa without trying all other options - no other team wanted him, im sure, and we got what we got.

Well there is no arguing the Habs got what they got. :lol:

Who would have thought Ribeiro would be doing so well in Dallas.

Good thing for Dallas and good thing for Ribeiro! :D

Guest thefooligan5

i don't think it is too difficult an idea to grasp.

his point production had been pretty healthy (although it dipped after the lock-out but it was a 'new league' and after a year of not playing NHL calibre hockey, it may have had an effect on many players throughout the league), he was still pretty young (only 26 at the time of his trade) and he was moving to a team which had been a bona-fide cup contender for the past 4-5 years.

Guest "Rocket"

Who would have thought? uh?! Everybody?

In 2 "complete" season in Montreal, 81 and 79 games, the guy had a total 116 points with 36 goals and 80 assists. (and he was 25 years old)

Are you seriously that much surprise that he perform like that?

Im pretty sure he'll average 60 points a season for the rest of his career, so no, im not surprise at all.

Guest 1970 Habs
Who would have thought? uh?! Everybody?

In 2 "complete" season in Montreal, 81 and 79 games, the guy had a total 116 points with 36 goals and 80 assists. (and he was 25 years old)

Are you seriously that much surprise that he perform like that?

Im pretty sure he'll average 60 points a season for the rest of his career, so no, im not surprise at all.

Actually I am not surprised at all.

I was being facetious. :)

Guest Lizardking89
Dallas has the 3rd best record in the league... :rolleyes: ..and their first line center used to be our whipping boy... :angry:

It's really not surprising to see Ribeiro perform, he's been given more ice time and better fitting linemates. I was never a big fan but to see him traded for nothing for subjective reasons was a really bad move.

Looking at the Habs performance since he was traded, it seems that he wasn't a problem after all. Ribeiro is another example from the long list of players that improved after leaving the Habs and that the real problem lies within the organization.

You sir hit the hail right on the head. You can add Ribs to the very long list of players that were traded from this organization in recent history that have gone on to be stars in the league...John Leclair anyone?? Even if he was a soft player we should have gotten more for him than what we did.

So what is the problem, is the media, the fans, maybe its the coaching? I really don't know but its sad to see all that potential talent leave town.

Signed a 5 yr $ 25 million contrcat with Dallas

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=226731&hubname=

Frisco, TX (Sports Network) - The Dallas Stars signed center Mike Ribeiro to a five-year, $25 million contract extension on Monday

The deal runs through the 2012-2013 season. Ribeiro's current contract was set to expire at the conclusion of the 2007-08 campaign.

"Mike has made a big impact on our hockey club the past two seasons and we are very happy to have him under contract," said co-general manager Brett Hull. "He makes things happen on the ice and will only continue to grow as a player."

The 27-year-old Ribeiro already has 21 goals -- a career high -- and 23 assists on the season.

Originally drafted by the Canadiens in 1998, the Montreal native has 89 goals and 167 helpers in 397 games for the Canadiens and Stars

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=226731&hubname=

Frisco, TX (Sports Network) - The Dallas Stars signed center Mike Ribeiro to a five-year, $25 million contract extension on Monday

The deal runs through the 2012-2013 season. Ribeiro's current contract was set to expire at the conclusion of the 2007-08 campaign.

"Mike has made a big impact on our hockey club the past two seasons and we are very happy to have him under contract," said co-general manager Brett Hull. "He makes things happen on the ice and will only continue to grow as a player."

The 27-year-old Ribeiro already has 21 goals -- a career high -- and 23 assists on the season.

Originally drafted by the Canadiens in 1998, the Montreal native has 89 goals and 167 helpers in 397 games for the Canadiens and Stars

Good for him. He should give Gainey 50% of his salary for trading him as that's what opened his eyes, the turning point of his career.

Wow. Despite the problems he had here, I'm thinking when we look back on history this probably won't be one of the trades that Gainey will be bragging about. Although moving Ribs made way for Plekanek, so it's tough to say. If we win a cup in a couple of years, you can't really say trading Ribs was necessarily a mistake - even if he is scoring 40 goals.

This sounds kind of stupid for the Stars, but at the same time, if he can keep this up, 5 million is a good price. And as we've talked about in other threads, managing the cap well may mean making some deals like this.

Archived