The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

73 Michael Ryder 06-07

jl-1

As some may know, Ryder grew up as a big Laff fan, imagine him with them last year. They would be in the playoffs while the Habs golfed. If he gets traded this year, Habs golf. A conversation I overheard after a summer golf session before last season, " You won't believe who that was, it was Mario Lemiuex letting me know they would love to have me if things don't work out...". Picture him on the Penguins........ You don't know what you've got til it's gone !!

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Handlanger
As some may know, Ryder grew up as a big Laff fan, imagine him with them last year. They would be in the playoffs while the Habs golfed. If he gets traded this year, Habs golf. A conversation I overheard after a summer golf session before last season, " You won't believe who that was, it was Mario Lemiuex letting me know they would love to have me if things don't work out...". Picture him on the Penguins........ You don't know what you've got til it's gone !!

Well, as much as I like "the new Ryder", if Lemieux says Ryder for Malkin, I'd do it in a heartbeat!

Guest Thibodosa
I agree to a point with u. Ryder does get beaten up on the forum. People always want more from the guy but the guy is a scorer. When Glen Murray was doing the scoring in Boston people didnt tear him apart but he was weak defensively or that the only thing he did was score. The fact is u need a player like that on ur team. Ryder is what he is, a sniper. I for one, think that is more than enough. But thats not all he does. He works his butt off, always backchecks, uses his body and lately has been playing much better defensively and the VS announcers even mentioned how everyone on that line has played solid D...I dont get why people always want more from the guy. He is an amazing PP player, and in this NHL u need that!...Imagine if he werent on this team this year and the last 2. Who would be scoring? Who would have scored all those GWG's and PPG's. Maybe if he wasnt here people could then realize the huge impact he does infact have and in that way people would then know that this team does NEED him

nicley said, i agree, last year he did alot but had some big faults and he changed alot over the summer(injury.weight) and hes come out in nice forum and ready to play this year

The first line wasn't that great, neither were any of the other lines. My favourite line yesterday was the 4th one, they probably showed the most effort. Ryder showed great effort for his line aswell.  

Kovalev took some horrible penalties, and didn't do good at all for his line last night.

Yeah he did. Did you even watch the first 2 periods? Stop bashing Kovalev or any of our players for gods sake.

Guest theflower

I just want to say I always wondered if people on here didn't know that much about hockey as there are many who have picked on Ryder in the past. I for one have never been one of those people. I just want to say to all of them, I told you so! This guy is one heck of a hockey player and boy does he look fast this year!! He has been outstanding in so many ways and it has been truly a pleasure to watch I hope he keeps it up!! Lets raise a glass and toast one of the best habs so far this year! Combined with the awesome play of Chris Higgins&Burke as I like to call him and Koivu these guys epitomize that never say die attitude. Koivu is one heck of a teacher. I know they won't be awesome every night and I am ok with that, because most of this year they have been carrying this team on their back. Lets just hope others start to carry the same work ethic and heart this line has been showing.

I just want to say I always wondered if people on here didn't know that much about hockey as there are many who have picked on Ryder in the past.  I for one have never been one of those people.  I just want to say to all of them, I told you so!   This guy is one heck of a hockey player and boy does he look fast this year!!  He has been outstanding in so many ways and it has been truly a pleasure to watch I hope he keeps it up!! Lets raise a glass and toast one of the best habs so far this year!  Combined with the awesome play of Chris Higgins&Burke as I like to call him and Koivu these guys epitomize that never say die attitude.  Koivu is one heck of a teacher.  I know they won't be awesome every night and I am ok with that, because most of this year they have been carrying this team on their back.  Lets just hope others start to carry the same work ethic and heart this line has been showing.

Here here. He's shown without a doubt that his sub-par skating and checking last year was a result of the back injury, as MANY of us were trying to point out.

He's a whole new player now, fast, throwing lots of checks, deadly shot as always.

Alot of people around here have some crow to eat.

Guest Thibodosa
he is going to notch one tonight for sure.......

go ryder!!

good prediction on that one.. but yeh, he had a solid game, but didnt do to much after the first

good prediction on that one.. but yeh, he had a solid game, but didnt do to much after the first

he was on the ice for all three goals - just because he didn't figure in on the goals does not mean that he didn't do much after the first period. He had a shot in each period. And, it must be hard to stay in a game when there is a steady stream of penalties, and you are not on the penalty kill.

Ryder needs more time on the ice and more shots on net. This requires that the team give up the endlessly stupid penalties and play some five on five hockey. Then you will see Ryder produce at his regular pace again. Look at last night - he got a goal in the first minute or so of the game, then the penalties started....he wasn't put on the ice on the first power play, so he spent long periods on the bench. You have to lose the flow of the game in such situations, in my opinion.

Guest 4beforeorr
he was on the ice for all three goals - just because he didn't figure in on the goals does not mean that he didn't do much after the first period.  He had a shot in each period. And, it must be hard to stay in a game when there is a steady stream of penalties, and you are not on the penalty kill.  

Ryder needs more time on the ice and more shots on net.  This requires that the team give up the endlessly stupid penalties and play some five on five hockey.  Then you will see Ryder produce at his regular pace again.  Look at last night - he got a goal in the first minute or so of the game, then the penalties started....he wasn't put on the ice on the first power play, so he spent long periods on the bench.  You have to lose the flow of the game in such situations, in my opinion.

Very well said. Hard for Ryder to do what he's best at, when we spend so much time in the box.

Guest gottaHABit
Very well said. Hard for Ryder to do what he's best at, when we spend so much time in the box.

....and Ryder spends so little time on the powerlay. A suggestion that I saw in another thread was to try Ryder, Higgins and Kovalev as the 1st PP line. I think this combination could be dynamite.

....and Ryder spends so little time on the powerlay. A suggestion that I saw in another thread was to try Ryder, Higgins and Kovalev as the 1st PP line. I think this combination could be dynamite.

Key word "could"

how about wave #1

Higgins - Koivu - Ryder

Markov - Kovalev

Wave #2

Samsonov - Plekanec - Perezhoghin

Streit - Souray

Ryder would excel in his face off circle spot if he had 2 passers like Kovalev and Markov feeding the forwards, and at any given time Kovalev could unleash hell from the point like Souray, but those lines give us a powerful point shot on both units.

Ryder played less than ten minutes tonight. This cannot all be accounted for by the fact that he does not play on the penalty kill. The only person who got less time is Downey, and he has a concussion.

What is up with this? If they are not going to play him, why not trade him? You cannot expect your most consistent goal scorer over the last two seasons to stay warm and sharp enough to score when he is on the ice three minutes a period.

Thoughts?

Guest COJAK33

I Cant Beleave That Mike Played Less Then 10 Minns...25-30 Goal Seasons Arent Good Enough I Guess...8 Points In 11 Games Not Good Enough Either...18 Pp Goals Last Year Not Good Enough.. On The Second Pp... 3-4 Minns A Period Brutal Maybe Someone Else Needs A 30 Goal Scorer....goooooo Ryder

Archived