The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

73 Michael Ryder 06-07

jl-1

18 minutes in penalties for Montreal

Ryder doesn't play the PK

If you look at Higgins and Koivu ice time , they played about the same amount of PP and regular shift minutes as Ryder , where the extra minutes came in was on PK

If you want Ryder to have more ice time ask the boys to stop taking stupid penalties

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes in penalties for Montreal  

Ryder doesn't play the PK

If you look at Higgins and Koivu ice time , they played about the same amount of PP and regular shift minutes as Ryder , where the extra minutes came in was on PK  

If you want Ryder to have more ice time ask the boys to stop taking stupid penalties

I know Ryder doesn't play the PK. However, as I stated, there is more to it than that - not everyone plays the PK, yet everyone (other than Downey) got more ice time.

As for the penalties, I have said many times that the penalties will eventually create all sorts of problems for the team and the coach should start taking action against those who get stupid penalties. Hooks and slashes (and obvious hooks and slashes) are lazy, unnecessary penalties. Given that hooking and slashing are not complex concepts and were not introduced to the penalty mix this year, I do not understand why the team still takes those penalties. Carbo has to ensure that they stop, somehow.

Is Ryder becoming a lost asset? 9.58 minutes is not good. Maybe he should be playing on the line with Bonk and Johnson if he isn't getting extra time as a lot of others are because of specialty teams... at least Lats got 12.31. This could hurt his progression... maybe they don't want this guy to top 30 goals this season.

bw6

Is Ryder becoming a lost asset? 9.58 minutes is not good. Maybe he should be playing on the line with Bonk and Johnson if he isn't getting extra time as a lot of others are because of specialty teams... at least Lats got 12.31. This could hurt his progression... maybe they don't want this guy to top 30 goals this season.

bw6

wth is that suppose to mean?don't want him to top 30 goals. gainey and carbs are winners,they dont think like that. to say that,you must not have seen them and their teams from the 70's and 80's

Guest banker002

9 minutes and 58 seconds is terrible.....

i know they had penalties....but ..carbo's role is to get ryder out there in even strength situations and pp time.....when your tough guy avec concussion is the only one who got less ice time then your supposed "go-to" goal scorer there is something wrong.....

i am happy the habs won..don't get me wrong...but i'm thinking that ryder has to be a little frustrated right now and this frustration may result in less goals for the habs down the road and thus a "long term problem"......

iknow if i was ryder i would be a little disappointed in ice time year to date..

i

wth is that suppose to mean?don't want him to top 30 goals. gainey and carbs are winners,they dont think like that. to say that,you must not have seen them and their teams from the 70's and 80's
I did watch the games in the 70's 80's 90's and don't miss a game... There was a time when top goal scorers got top ice-time though... tell me what are they (Carbo and Gainey) thinking then? Why the one year contract then? This guy (Ryder) is not a fluke but he can't deliver if he doesn't play... and it's not because he's only a one-dimensional player... because he isn't.

bw6

For one thing times are differnt now. Teams are trying to go with balence over being top heavy where possible. As mentioned already Koivu and Higgens are getting a lot of icetime due to the PK and Ryder doesn't play when they are not on the ice. I guess you will just have to live with it as long as the team is winning. There are a lot of players that could use a lot of icetime, but everyone who is not PK is playing similiar minutes overall. It's just worse for Ryder because he happens to play with two guys that do a lot of penalty kill work. You could send him out for the whole PP with differnt linemates, but I don't know if Carbo would do that since it would break up his units.

For one thing times are differnt now.  Teams are trying to go with balence over being top heavy where possible.  As mentioned already Koivu and Higgens are getting a lot of icetime due to the PK and Ryder doesn't play when they are not on the ice.  I guess you will just have to live with it as long as the team is winning.  There are a lot of players that could use a lot of icetime, but everyone who is not PK is playing similiar minutes overall.  It's just worse for Ryder because he happens to play with two guys that do a lot of penalty kill work.  You could send him out for the whole PP with differnt linemates, but I don't know if Carbo would do that since it would break up his units.
I'm happy the Habs are winning as much as they are... but it's kind of strange seeing the top goal scorer the last two seasons... a runner-up for rookie honors who shoud've won now getting less ice-time than Perezhogin and Latendresse... balance? what balance? players getting similar minutes? who? Carbo has to find a way to get him back up in ice-time or do we lose this guy next year?

I think hes making a contribution to the team. I'm not sure what his average ice time is, but it seems like hes played a lot at times. I realize he is payed to score, but that doesn't mean he needs to be moved just because hes getting less icetime. As long as he chips in here and there and the team is winning it doesn't matter to much IMO. Right now the combination of Higgens/Koivu/Ryder has been very good. Yes hes getting less icetime due to Higgens have to play so much on the PK, but that is no reason to break up what has been the number one line for the team to this point in the season.

I also just checked the super stats at NHL.com for previous games. In Colorado he played 15 minutes. In Boston he played 15 minutes. In Toronto he played 18 minutes. In Ottawa he played 16 minutes. Overall he has been getting lots of icetime. I don't think one game warrents an outcry of more icetime.

I also just checked the super stats at NHL.com for previous games.  In Colorado he played 15 minutes.  In Boston he played 15 minutes. In Toronto he played 18 minutes.  In Ottawa he played 16 minutes.  Overall he has been getting lots of icetime.  I don't think one game warrents an outcry of more icetime.
Good response... if it was only for one game... I'll be patient for now then :D

Guest habinto
I also just checked the super stats at NHL.com for previous games.  In Colorado he played 15 minutes.  In Boston he played 15 minutes. In Toronto he played 18 minutes.  In Ottawa he played 16 minutes.  Overall he has been getting lots of icetime.  I don't think one game warrents an outcry of more icetime.

A partial reason for his low ice time is that there were a lot of penalties and he does not play the PK. I would not read anything into this.

Guest banker002
Last night's game  

Regular Minutes

Koivu 7:28

Higgins 7:04

Ryder 6:29

PK Minutes

Koivu 3:28

Higgins 4:11

Ryder 0

PP Minutes

Koivu 3:16

Higgins 4:04

Ryder 3:29

Other than PK minutes nothing abnormal

great work (research)....true - nothing too abnormal...i'd just like to see him out there more...

i guess if they stayed out of the box his minutes will increase..

Guest habs_fan1160
great work (research)....true - nothing too abnormal...i'd just like to see him out there more...

i guess if they stayed out of the box his minutes will increase..

I don't think he's taken too many penalities, no more than Rivet anyway..

Guest StratfordStreak

I would love to see that speed come back though that he showed in the first 5 games.

He looked like a whole different player out there.

I would love to see that speed come back though that he showed in the first 5 games.

He looked like a whole different player out there.

Where is Ryder??

First 7 games: 3 goals, 4 assists, 7 points

Last 5 games: 1 goal, 0 assists, 1 point

He needs to wake up because the second line has awoken and Higgins and Koivu are still there usual selves.

He's been our worse forward in the top 3 lines in the past 5 games...

Where is Ryder??

First 7 games: 3 goals, 4 assists, 7 points

Last 5 games: 1 goal, 0 assists, 1 point

He needs to wake up because the second line has awoken and Higgins and Koivu are still there usual selves.  

He's been our worse forward in the top 3 lines in the past 5 games...

Ryder has been getting his opportunities and he's getting shots on net. The results may not be there right now, but as long as he's getting his chances, I'm not one bit worried about him. :cool:

Archived