The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

73 Michael Ryder 06-07

jl-1

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest gottaHABit
he showed great hustle, but he needs to start putting the puck in the net, he is in a severe dry spell already.

He has 4 goals. That's the same as Kovalev who averages 2 more minutes/game, and 1 more than Koivu who averages 2 1/2 more minutes/game. Hardly call it a severe dry spell.

He has 4 goals. That's the same as Kovalev who averages 2 more minutes/game, and 1 more than Koivu who averages 2 1/2 more minutes/game. Hardly call it a severe dry spell.

Well I agree Kovalev needs to score more, why compare Koivu to Ryder, Ryder is a goal scorer who is not scoring, Koivu is a player maker who IS making plays...

I agree. You can't compare Koivu to Ryder when speaking of goal droughts

It is true that Ryder has not been scoring at the pace that we all expect him to. However, I don't think it is true, any longer at least, to suggest that he is one dimensional and if he is not scoring goals, he is not contributing. For the most part this year, there is something different to his game - he is 3 or 4th on the team in hits and is creating plays by his hustle. Koivu is a playmaker, sure, but Ryder has other aspects that we should appreciate this year.

Guest habinto
It is true that Ryder has not been scoring at the pace that we all expect him to.  However, I don't think it is true, any longer at least, to suggest that he is one dimensional and if he is not scoring goals, he is not contributing.  For the most part this year, there is something different to his game - he is 3 or 4th on the team in hits and is creating plays by his hustle.  Koivu is a playmaker, sure, but Ryder has other aspects that we should appreciate this year.

Ryder is trying to improve some aspect of his game but the reality is still that he is one dimensional and does not hurt the team defensively. What more do we want from a goal scorer! I am not trying to be insulting. The Habs need goals to win and he scores them. I know he is in a little drought now but he will get over it and reach 30 something goals this year.

Why not?

Koivu is a playmaker, his job is to set up others and make plays, he's been doing that...

Ryder's job is scoring, right now he's not

The fact is Koivu is doing his job, Ryder isn't doing his right now...

I know Ryder will break out of it, but that's why you can't compare the 2 when talking about goal droughts.

Guest gottaHABit
Koivu is a playmaker, his job is to set up others and make plays, he's been doing that...  

Ryder's job is scoring, right now he's not

The fact is Koivu is doing his job, Ryder isn't doing his right now...

I know Ryder will break out of it, but that's why you can't compare the 2 when talking about goal droughts.

Well that's your opinion, but it isn't mine. I like Koivu too, but he makes $4.75 million a year, and I have no problem expecting more goal production from him. I realize that won't make me too popular around here, but hey, it is just an opinion.

Cant even compare him to Kovalev either, who is strictly gone into playmaking mode aswell on his line, Sammy is his trigger man, Ryder is Koivu's triggerman.

We can come here and defend him all we want, fact is he is doing anything but pull the trigger, his goals all came in a quick flurry at the start of the season, he hasnt scored in 5 games, and only scored 2 times in his past 11 games.

I love this kid, and i think his skating and defensive game have improved, but i cant deny that he is in a goal scoring slump right now, and i cant see how anyone else can either.

I agree, Ryder is in a scoring slump. However, I don't really care if Lats scores every goal on the team - if Ryder is on the score sheet for setting up the goals, as he did for Lats (that play was all about Ryder), then who cares who scores?

You know, if you look at the stats, Ryder is not in as much of a slump as you might think.

Montreal has scored a number of power play goals and shorthanders this season. Ryder is not on the ice for the shorthanders, as he does not play the penalty kill. As for the power play goals, Ryder may be on the ice but it is not reflected in his plus/minus - that does not mean that he has not contributed to the goal though. There has also been a contribution from more that the first line this year.

Look at the games. Last game Montreal got three goals, winning on a shootout. Ryder got an assist on one of the two goals scored in regular time. The game before, Montreal won 2 -1 - Ryder was on the ice for a powerplay goal but did not figure. Game before was 4-2 win - Higgins got a shorthander then, Ryder was on the ice for a powerplay goal but did not have an assist. ...

So, take out the shorthanded goals, give him credit when he is on the ice for powerplay goals, and he is doing a lot better than the stats would at first suggest. He did have a shootout winner too that is not reflected in the stats.

Not that I disagree that he has to start popping goals - that requires him to shoot more (and when he shoots all the time, people say he should be passing). I think he will be ok...

Guest habinto
You know, if you look at the stats, Ryder is not in as much of a slump as you might think.

Montreal has scored a number of power play goals and shorthanders this season.  Ryder is not on the ice for the shorthanders, as he does not play the penalty kill.  As for the power play goals, Ryder may be on the ice but it is not reflected in his plus/minus - that does not mean that he has not contributed to the goal though.  There has also been a contribution from more that the first line this year.

Look at the games.  Last game Montreal got three goals, winning on a shootout.  Ryder got an assist on one of the two goals scored in regular time.  The game before, Montreal won 2 -1 - Ryder was on the ice for a powerplay goal but did not figure.  Game before was 4-2 win - Higgins got a shorthander then, Ryder was on the ice for a powerplay goal but did not have an assist.  ...

So, take out the shorthanded goals, give him credit when he is on the ice for powerplay goals, and he is doing a lot better than the stats would at first suggest.  He did have a shootout winner too that is not reflected in the stats.

Not that I disagree that he has to start popping goals - that requires him to shoot more (and when he shoots all the time, people say he should be passing).  I think he will be ok...

I never heard of giving credit to a player if a goal is scored while he is on the ice unless he is part of the reason for the goal - we call those assists. On rare occassion it would be nice to have a 3rd assist but that's life. My first though is that if you did not score and you don't have an assist there is no credit to be received.

Guest lecavalierrocks
I never heard of giving credit to a player if a goal is scored while he is on the ice unless he is part of the reason for the goal - we call those assists.  On rare occassion it would be nice to have a 3rd assist but that's life.  My first though is that if you did not score and you don't have an assist there is no credit to be received.

I understand his point (habgab) I agree...everyone has an important role on the team and on the Ice. Althought I dont think being on the ice while a goal was scored should count as an assist or whatnot, I do think the player does something that leads to a Goal. Its just an opinion and its not based on any facts...anyways...I think Michael Ryder is a great player and needed on Ice whether or not he scores, like Saku, he is a great playmaker, he deserves to be on the first trio and they need him there, because like the second line, their just great toghether, they have chemistry and its like they know what each other is thinking without talking to each other...lolll its like their married! :D joke.

Guest Hamel-Habsfan
I understand his point (habgab) I agree...everyone has an important role on the team and on the Ice. Althought I dont think being on the ice while a goal was scored should count as an assist or whatnot, I do think the player does something that leads to a Goal. Its just an opinion and its not based on any facts...anyways...I think Michael Ryder is a great player and needed on Ice whether or not he scores, like Saku, he is a great playmaker, he deserves to be on the first trio and they need him there, because like the second line, their just great toghether, they have chemistry and its like they know what each other is thinking without talking to each other...lolll its like their married! :D joke.

ryder is doing fine...he hasnt been scoring for a bit now, but that will pass...everybody has their slow weeks sometimes...but like i saw before in this post...ryder is a goal scorer that can hit and not damage the defense...hes reliable to get goals, we just have to feed him the puck more.

ryder is doing fine...he hasnt been scoring for a bit now, but that will pass...everybody has their slow weeks sometimes...but like i saw before in this post...ryder is a goal scorer that can hit and not damage the defense...hes reliable to get goals, we just have to feed him the puck more.

I agree, I'm not worried about Ryder at all, he has looked pretty good out there, he's skating well, and the goals will come for him, they always do, he'll the end season with the usual good numbers.

the only problem with ryder during the last few games is that he tried to hold on the puck for too long. I'd rather see him dump the punk deep in the zone and then try to position himself than see him try to feint the D and lose the puck

I am a ryder fan , but making plays sure isnt his speciality :D

Guest Hamel-Habsfan
I agree, I'm not worried about Ryder at all, he has looked pretty good out there, he's skating well, and the goals will come for him, they always do, he'll the end season with the usual good numbers.

even last year i was wondering...how did ryder get all those points...hes very quiet with his goals...but when i watched the highlights of games...i realized that ryder was always a part of a lot of the big goals.

I never heard of giving credit to a player if a goal is scored while he is on the ice unless he is part of the reason for the goal - we call those assists.  On rare occassion it would be nice to have a 3rd assist but that's life.  My first though is that if you did not score and you don't have an assist there is no credit to be received.

Isn't that is what plus/minus registers - but as there is no plus in powerplay situations, it is not recorded as such. Yet, being on the ice and part of a powerplay unit that produces must count for something. I am not suggesting that he should be awarded a point, I am stating that the critics should see that he is contributing despite the fact he is not on the scoreboard or getting a positive plus/minus.

Archived