The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

73 Michael Ryder 06-07

jl-1

I'm a big Ryder fan and I'm thinking the same thing... and that's why I'd trade him, because he's one of the few players on our team with good value in a trade!

Agreed, although I doubt anyone would bite on him right now, given that he'll be UFA next year. He has more value at the trade deadline going to a team that needs some secondary scoring punch to make a dedicated Cup run and that doesn't want strings attached (i.e. contract) beyond the current season. Honestly, if we could get a roster player and a first-round pick for Rivet, we could clean up by trading Ryder.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Agreed, although I doubt anyone would bite on him right now, given that he'll be UFA next year. He has more value at the trade deadline going to a team that needs some secondary scoring punch to make a dedicated Cup run and that doesn't want strings attached (i.e. contract) beyond the current season. Honestly, if we could get a roster player and a first-round pick for Rivet, we could clean up by trading Ryder.

I'm not so sure about the timing... for example, I know that Vancouver is looking for a right winger to play with the Sedins and they can't find anything on the UFA market. By the trade deadline, they may have found something already...

Guest habgab
Call it a hunch but I have a feeling with this signing, we can expect Ryder to leave MTL next year for the highest bidder. Too bad, I was hoping he had some loyalty... (Hope i'm wrong!)

Loyalty runs two ways. Ryder has done his part - lets see if management does theirs.

Guest gottaHABit
Gainey has his facts straight too when he signed him under 3M for a year for a second time in a row, which is completely the opposite way of thinking to this thread altogether. Yes, we have access to Ryder's highlight goals but Gainey has access to Ryder's goals and everything else. In gainey's view, it seems the everything else had more weight than his highlight goals.

Is this the same Gainey that signed Samsonov for two years @ $3.5 million a year? Not the first time Gainey saw things a little differently it seems. In any case, I have no idea why you're even bringing that nonsense up. The argument here is about Ryder being dependent on play-making linemates for his success, and anyone who's objectively watched the replays of his goals can clearly see that this isn't true. But even if you don't want to believe the video that's right in front of your eyes, step back and think about it. How could a player come all the way from the ECHL to become the lead scorer of an NHL team, two years in a row, by being dependent on playmaking linemates? That doesn't even make sense. Ryder has succeeded in this and other leagues by combining a moderate amount of talent with a huge amount of determination and grit. Rather than talk all the time about trading him, we should looking for more players like him. But of course that will never happen because fans like you would rather run him out of town in favor of more expensive, prima donna type players who never quite seem to live up to their billing.

Guest habsfan7344

i just wanna say keep ryder he is such a goodand he should stay were he belongs MONTREAL!!

doesn't anyone get it ryder is a great player the season hasn't even started and u guys wanna get rid of him i mean common lets atleast see how he plays during the season i mean he has a complished soo much with montreal!!

and even as a bulldog!!!

i say keep ryder!!!!

please he is soo good!! he still young hi will work hard i kno it!!

Guest old-time Habs fan
old-time Habs fan rhymes again,

Makes word play on Horse and Ryder,

I, myself, with many men,

Agree with the aged insider.

Would that we had steeds like him,

whose savvy was around goal-rim;

the rider has control of reins,

but reining-in is what remains!

From hwat iu have read and understand we have tried to sign ryder for with a longer term contract, but him aswell as his agents have shot us down..

Seeing as this is the case, Ryder says ok, ill do one more year with you guys @ x, price, while doing this he is hoping his stock increases with each and every year.

If his stats stay the same, after this season, and we wanted to keep him, were looking @ 3-4 yr contract for 3.5-4.5 mill a year.

Guest habsfan7344

yeah hope he stays on montreal and sighs longer i would love to see him play for montreal longer!!!

please stay on montreal longer ryder please!!!!! :D

Dont forget he still is young, and you really do expect him to improve in the offseason, Just because they arent playing nhl doesnt mean that they stop training,

Guest habby00

my thoughts exactly moderators, trade deadline makes it very attractive...

Guest habby00
Is this the same Gainey that signed Samsonov for two years @ $3.5 million a year? Not the first time Gainey saw things a little differently it seems. In any case, I have no idea why you're even bringing that nonsense up. The argument here is about Ryder being dependent on play-making linemates for his success, and anyone who's objectively watched the replays of his goals can clearly see that this isn't true. But even if you don't want to believe the video that's right in front of your eyes, step back and think about it. How could a player come all the way from the ECHL to become the lead scorer of an NHL team, two years in a row, by being dependent on playmaking linemates? That doesn't even make sense. Ryder has succeeded in this and other leagues by combining a moderate amount of talent with a huge amount of determination and grit. Rather than talk all the time about trading him, we should looking for more players like him. But of course that will never happen because fans like you would rather run him out of town in favor of more expensive, prima donna type players who never quite seem to live up to their billing.

This fan refers to me as you and singles me out as to making erroneous statements , does this person know that I want expensive prima donna's that do nothing?? We comment on what we see, all I see from this post is pure venting from someone who is bitter. This post seems to denigrate Gainey, myself and any subjective fan that has contrary views to his. i have refrained from directly attacking anyone. I have seen the videos and dissected them, the aggressive fan has simply viewed the goals and given a simple subjective summarization of them filled with gaps .

Wise man once said, never argue with shortsighted yet adamant individuals, people might not know who the incompetent are.

Wise man was right, let's let this one lie and let things take their course.

IF ryder shows hes worth keeping on the team, then bob will make a offer,

I doubt ryder would like to leave us right away after this season, if we make a reasonable offer, and by reasonable i mean samsonov money, then im sure he would stay with us.

@ the same time he will have to prove his worth on our team for another year. We all know gainey doesnt like long term contracts. he probably tried for a 2-3 yr deal, ryder wanted a 4-5 yr deal.

If he shows hes all that great he will get the contract hes been dreaming about

I'm a rather passionate Ryder fan. With that said, it is with little surprise that I'd like to see him stay here his entire career.

We may have to face the fact that he might potentially have to be traded. I don't think he should be, or at least i don't think we should be too itchy with that old trigger finger when it comes to trading him. If we got offered a Tanguay for Ryder (eventhough I wouldn't be too hot on it) I'd be inclined to say take it because he could be better for the Habs, being a scoring LW with a Stanley Cup ring (COL-2001) to boot.

However, I'd be a much bigger fan of us adding to our existing scoring then I would be trading away our only scoring for someone who may or may not produce for the team; At least produce as much as they did for their previous team. It has happened in thev past where the Habs acquired players that didn't produce up to expectation. That would be my main worry...giving up a goal scorer and getting another disappointment in return.

Guest habsfan7344
I really like Ryder, but I don't want him walking away next year in free agency the way Souray did. We have to get some return for these guys. Hockey is a business.

yeah same i don't want him to leave!!!!

Guest matt_the_fan
I think if he improves statistically this season, we should sign him for Kovalev money for about 3 to 4 years.

Kovalev money...heheh, makes sense!

Guest old-time Habs fan
Kovalev money...heheh, makes sense!

Would make more sense, if dollars double,

paying him for all his trouble,

being jerked at every turn,

by some who, really, never learn!

Then, learning is a curious thing,

as Ryder seems to do each Spring;

this come-back kid can stop the skid,

that seems to botch our play-off bid.

But, sadly, it is ne'er enough,

for hockey fans, who treat him rough;

if thirty-in-a-row does not suffice,

then, take him, laddies, off our ice!

Markov was a UFA last season and signed with us. Who's to say Ryder doesn't do the same?

Nobody, really. :)

But something tells me that Ryder is going to be asking for more money than Gainey wants to give, thereby ensuring that he leaves town. I have a hard time believing that Gainey didn't try to lock Ryder up for a fair price this off-season and yet the end result, yet again, was a one-year contract. I have no evidence to back me up, just a gut feeling that Ryder is already looking elsewhere.

On the plus side, this is a contract year for Ryder, so I expect a very good season out of him.

Nobody, really. :)

But something tells me that Ryder is going to be asking for more money than Gainey wants to give, thereby ensuring that he leaves town. I have a hard time believing that Gainey didn't try to lock Ryder up for a fair price this off-season and yet the end result, yet again, was a one-year contract. I have no evidence to back me up, just a gut feeling that Ryder is already looking elsewhere.

On the plus side, this is a contract year for Ryder, so I expect a very good season out of him.

I fail to understand the problem with Ryder wanting more money when the Habs have spent so much more and received so much less in return. I won't even bother going in to name dropping, we all know who the overpriced players are on the team.

I fail to understand the problem with Ryder wanting more money when the Habs have spent so much more and received so much less in return. I won't even bother going in to name dropping, we all know who the overpriced players are on the team.

More money is one thing. Absurd money is another. Again, please don't think I'm slagging Ryder. I'm just speculating here. There has to be a reason why Ryder keeps signing these one-year deals instead of getting a long-term contract done. Gainey isn't stupid, he knows how valuable Ryder is to this team. That's why I believe that Ryder is waiting until free agency so he can sign with the highest bidder on the open market. And if so, I wish him nothing but the best, but I also would like Gainey to trade him so we can at least get some return, rather than letting yet another talented free agent walk away for nothing (read, Souray).

Guest leafsreallysuck
More money is one thing. Absurd money is another. Again, please don't think I'm slagging Ryder. I'm just speculating here. There has to be a reason why Ryder keeps signing these one-year deals instead of getting a long-term contract done. Gainey isn't stupid, he knows how valuable Ryder is to this team. That's why I believe that Ryder is waiting until free agency so he can sign with the highest bidder on the open market. And if so, I wish him nothing but the best, but I also would like Gainey to trade him so we can at least get some return, rather than letting yet another talented free agent walk away for nothing (read, Souray).

I'd like to mention that in the previous years BG was only giving out 1 year deals to the kids, this summer we saw BG give two year deals to Higgins and Komi, the only reason I see why Ryder went to arbritation is that BG gave him a qualifying offer, which none of us would of signed if we were in Ryder's shoes. We don't know what went on, we know BG needed time to handle the UFA's first then the RFA's, we also know that the last two seasons Ryder signed for less than he would of gotten had he gone to arbritation (which he never did if I'm not mistaken). So why is everyone jumping to the conclusion that he only cares about being UFA and signing a big contract? I'm not saying your wrong, I'm saying we don't know and imho we haven't seen any proof of that.

Cut the guy some slack :) There is just too much bashing going on here, it's unbelievable and I'm not talking of Ryder only.

I'm not singling you out Weep, I just am amazed at the direction or conclusions some of the threads/members are coming to.

Archived