The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

73 Michael Ryder 06-07

jl-1

Guest old-time Habs fan
I'd like to mention that in the previous years BG was only giving out 1 year deals to the kids, this summer we saw BG give two year deals to Higgins and Komi, the only reason I see why Ryder went to arbritation is that BG gave him a qualifying offer, which none of us would of signed if we were in Ryder's shoes. We don't know what went on, we know BG needed time to handle the UFA's first then the RFA's, we also know that the last two seasons Ryder signed for less than he would of gotten had he gone to arbritation (which he never did if I'm not mistaken). So why is everyone jumping to the conclusion that he only cares about being UFA and signing a big contract? I'm not saying your wrong, I'm saying we don't know and imho we haven't seen any proof of that.

Cut the guy some slack :) There is just too much bashing going on here, it's unbelievable and I'm not talking of Ryder only.

I'm not singling you out Weep, I just am amazed at the direction or conclusions some of the threads/members are coming to.

Armchair pundits, aren't we all,

with slants on every pick and call;

off-season syndrome's live and well,

but soon we'll have to break the spell.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest gottaHABit
I'd like to mention that in the previous years BG was only giving out 1 year deals to the kids, this summer we saw BG give two year deals to Higgins and Komi, the only reason I see why Ryder went to arbritation is that BG gave him a qualifying offer, which none of us would of signed if we were in Ryder's shoes. We don't know what went on, we know BG needed time to handle the UFA's first then the RFA's, we also know that the last two seasons Ryder signed for less than he would of gotten had he gone to arbritation (which he never did if I'm not mistaken). So why is everyone jumping to the conclusion that he only cares about being UFA and signing a big contract? I'm not saying your wrong, I'm saying we don't know and imho we haven't seen any proof of that.

Cut the guy some slack :) There is just too much bashing going on here, it's unbelievable and I'm not talking of Ryder only.

I'm not singling you out Weep, I just am amazed at the direction or conclusions some of the threads/members are coming to.

I agree with these comments, and I'm not trying to single you out either Weep. None of us knows what went on behind closed doors, we just know that arbitration has been considered and avoided for the last two years. Was it considered out of greed, or was it necessary to get a fair contract? Who knows.

But even if we do trade him, is it really going to be that easy to find another 25-30 goal scorer? There were 838 players in the NHL last season, and only 38 scored more goals than Ryder did. That put in the top 7 to 8% of the league's goal scorers. Sure his -25 looks pretty bad, but so does Souray's -28, Koivu's -21, Latendress's -20 and Kovalev's - 19. This is a team problem and besides, the +/- stat is mainly used to measure defencemen or forwards who play a defensive role. Offensive forwards are better measured by scoring stats.

I agree with these comments, and I'm not trying to single you out either Weep. None of us knows what went on behind closed doors, we just know that arbitration has been considered and avoided for the last two years.
Was it considered out of greed, or was it necessary to get a fair contract?
Who knows.

But even if we do trade him, is it really going to be that easy to find another 25-30 goal scorer? There were 838 players in the NHL last season, and only 38 scored more goals than Ryder did. That put in the top 7 to 8% of the league's goal scorers. Sure his -25 looks pretty bad, but so does Souray's -28, Koivu's -21, Latendress's -20 and Kovalev's - 19. This is a team problem and besides, the +/- stat is mainly used to measure defencemen or forwards who play a defensive role. Offensive forwards are better measured by scoring stats.

If I'm Ryder I'm looking at the contracts of those making more than him and producing much less then him. I mean, Samsonov made more money last season than Ryder's going to make this season and Ryder scored more goals last season than Samsonov had points! Of course he's going to want more money, it only seems reasonable.

As far as him leaving at the end of the season or being traded before...I'll believe it when I see it. I think Ryder will sign with MTL.

Guest 11CaptainKoivu11
More money is one thing. Absurd money is another. Again, please don't think I'm slagging Ryder. I'm just speculating here. There has to be a reason why Ryder keeps signing these one-year deals instead of getting a long-term contract done. Gainey isn't stupid, he knows how valuable Ryder is to this team. That's why I believe that Ryder is waiting until free agency so he can sign with the highest bidder on the open market. And if so, I wish him nothing but the best, but I also would like Gainey to trade him so we can at least get some return, rather than letting yet another talented free agent walk away for nothing (read, Souray).

Gainey needs to smarten up and start paying the players the money they deserve. Ryder has deserved a bigger contract for the past couple years but Gainey keeps going with the one-year deals.

Personally I think he robbing Higgins too, I believe Higgins has a two-year deal but if he puts up the numbers I think he can then he deserves to see some cash too.

Gainey has to stop making stupid signings and do the deals that help the team not just for this year but for the next 3 - 4 years.

Guest overlords
Gainey needs to smarten up and start paying the players the money they deserve. Ryder has deserved a bigger contract for the past couple years but Gainey keeps going with the one-year deals.

Personally I think he robbing Higgins too, I believe Higgins has a two-year deal but if he puts up the numbers I think he can then he deserves to see some cash too.

Gainey has to stop making stupid signings and do the deals that help the team not just for this year but for the next 3 - 4 years.

Higgins and Komi both goth the same contract. 1.7 for 2 years right? Or was that Plekanec and they got 1.9.... Oh well i forget. either way that was a steal of a contract, but these guys know that we NEED them longterm and that their value will sky rocket. I see gainey offering higgins a contract extension near the trade deadline as he's someone that's seen as a future captain and solid forward for years to come. Komi IMO wouldn't probably be extended at the same time as he's RFA even after his current contract expires.

IMO Ryder is seen as major trade bait. He's signed for way under his true value which offsets his "One year" contract length. He's the perfect player for a playoff run. I would have wanted a major move before the season starts but I see one near trade deadline happening.

Guest 11CaptainKoivu11
IMO Ryder is seen as major trade bait. He's signed for way under his true value which offsets his "One year" contract length. He's the perfect player for a playoff run. I would have wanted a major move before the season starts but I see one near trade deadline happening.

I see Ryder walking out the door at the end of the season and Gainey scratching his head wondering what he did wrong.

And here's the thing, I think Montreal will be somewhat in a playoff hunt, so they are not gonna trade Ryder then, so out the front door he walks in the off season.

If that happens I hope Gainey walks right out the door after him.

Guest 1970 Habs
Cut the guy some slack :) There is just too much bashing going on here, it's unbelievable and I'm not talking of Ryder only. I just am amazed at the direction or conclusions some of the threads/members are coming to.

You are talking into the wind so to speak as this will not stop happening (sadly).

Who knows.

If I'm Ryder I'm looking at the contracts of those making more than him and producing much less then him. I mean, Samsonov made more money last season than Ryder's going to make this season and Ryder scored more goals last season than Samsonov had points! Of course he's going to want more money, it only seems reasonable.

As far as him leaving at the end of the season or being traded before...I'll believe it when I see it. I think Ryder will sign with MTL.

Nice facts Mojo. It really makes a case for homegrown talent. I see 30 goal potential in some of the young guns.

Personally I think he robbing Higgins too, I believe Higgins has a two-year deal but if he puts up the numbers I think he can then he deserves to see some cash too. Gainey has to stop making stupid signings and do the deals that help the team not just for this year but for the next 3 - 4 years.

Who knows who wanted the one year deal (Gainey or Ryder). As for Higgins I would like to see better numbers before he sees a longer term contract.

I see Ryder walking out the door at the end of the season and Gainey scratching his head wondering what he did wrong. And here's the thing, I think Montreal will be somewhat in a playoff hunt, so they are not gonna trade Ryder then, so out the front door he walks in the off season.

If that happens I hope Gainey walks right out the door after him.

I too believe that if the Team is in the midst of a playoff then Ryder will not be traded. However if Mr. Gainey is not able to sign Ryder then I do not agree that he should "walk out the door after him" as there are two sides at the negotiating table.

It's going to be very difficult to replace Ryder's goal production, but it's either replace him now and GET something in return, or watch him walk in free agency and get nothing for him. That is just my personal feeling. I have nothing to back it up, nor am I trying to slag Ryder. I just have an intuition that he will not be back.

Guest old-time Habs fan

***** the rifle, take good aim,

criticize, but don't defame;

ride 'em, Ryder, take the rein!

Go for 30, keep on track,

35, give that a crack!

even 40, then they'll smile,

no one's done that in awhile!

Let the others meet your mark,

then, lead the field again, with spark;

assist them to achieve their goal,

that points to you, as shots unfold.

The numbers are the winners game,

without them, we will hang, in shame;

in 5 on 5, we have to score,

and, in the power-play, some more.

If exponentially, we excel,

how far we go, no one can tell!

our number's up, if not increased,

then hopes for cup will sure have ceased.

Guest habsfan7344

yeah ryder is awsome i still believe he will stay on the team for ever no matter wat people say Ride on ryder ride on!!!

+ he is my favorite player!!! yeah !!!!

he is ganna do really good this season i know it!!

Guest habsfan7344
***** the rifle, take good aim,

criticize, but don't defame;

ride 'em, Ryder, take the rein!

Go for 30, keep on track,

35, give that a crack!

even 40, then they'll smile,

no one's done that in awhile!

Let the others meet your mark,

then, lead the field again, with spark;

assist them to achieve their goal,

that points to you, as shots unfold.

The numbers are the winners game,

without them, we will hang, in shame;

in 5 on 5, we have to score,

and, in the power-play, some more.

If exponentially, we excel,

how far we go, no one can tell!

our number's up, if not increased,

then hopes for cup will sure have ceased.

nice poem!!

Guest d80jcrant

I think 13.2 Mil is more than fair over three years. Lets say Gainey is able to sign him to a 3 year extension worth 13.2 Million.

2.95 in 07/08

4.4 in 08/09

4.4 in 09/10

4.4 in 10/11

is that how an extension works??

Guest 1970 Habs
He may totally suck this year, and then be begging for the $ we had previously offered him

You never know how things are going to work out

The fact is Ryder has been the most consistent goal scorer on the team and I do not think that will change.

How some people want him traded based on the fact he only signed a year long deal and they "speculate/believe" he plans on walking at the end of the year is beyond me.

Contrary to many, I still believe there is a good chance he will sign with Montreal after the season.

I do agree however that you never know how things are going to work out; only time will tell who is right.

Guest C-Dawg
The fact is Ryder has been the most consistent goal scorer on the team and I do not think that will change.

How some people want him traded based on the fact he only signed a year long deal and they "speculate/believe" he plans on walking at the end of the year is beyond me.

Contrary to many, I still believe there is a good chance he will sign with Montreal after the season.

I do agree however that you never know how things are going to work out; only time will tell who is right.

I too find it strange that many have him listed as the #1 player when it comes to trades. Not only has he been our highest goal scorer over the past 3 seasons, but he picked up his game last season when when it meant the most. As for the 1 year contracts, with BG and the Habs never commenting on negotiations and contracts, could it be that's all BG has offered, or, could Ryder be getting bad advice from his reps. I don't know the answer, but hope to see Ryder wearing his Habs jersey for years to come. As a Newfie, and talking to family back home, I know how much it kills all the Leafs fans back there, especially when he scores during the Habs/Leafs games... lol.

The fact remains that he only signed a one year deal again this year and we've never been able to agree to more than one year deals since he's joined the NHL. It's all about risk management. As a RFA, the risk of losing him was very low but with his contract expiring at the end of the season, combined with his previous contractual history, it makes for a very high risk. So when you have such a good asset, one has to gamble on probabilities and the odds certainly aren't looking in favour of him signing with us again... and that coming from a Ryder fan.

My two cents.

Guest halifax_habs

I also like Rdyer, however, the biggest problem I have with Ryder (and this is clearly not his fault) is that we are relying on him to be the trigger man on the first line. As good as Ryder is he's a stretch for go to guy on the first line. As a second liner he would be brilliant.

We have many other young guys who look to have (at least) second line winger potential such as Higgins, Latendresse and Kostitsyn. I think Higgins brings many intangibles to the table that Ryder does not and he is a more well rounded player, Latendresse brings size and grit, and Kostitsyns skill level is much more impressive than Ryder's. These players are to me a bigger part of our future core than Ryder will likely will be. He is a good player and would have good trade value. If we could use Ryder as part of a package to bring in a forty goal man than I think we would improve this team a fair bit.

If Ryder stays and can find a home on the second line I would also be very happy. I just think we need a better winger one the first line.

Guest halifax_habs
I think ryder,Halak and a second round draft pick could bring us the player we want.

Yeah I think that would be in the ballpark, maybe another mid round pick thrown in.

A swap like that would really depend on what Halak, Price and Huet all do in camp this year.

Guest habsfan7344
I also like Rdyer, however, the biggest problem I have with Ryder (and this is clearly not his fault) is that we are relying on him to be the trigger man on the first line. As good as Ryder is he's a stretch for go to guy on the first line. As a second liner he would be brilliant.

We have many other young guys who look to have (at least) second line winger potential such as Higgins, Latendresse and Kostitsyn. I think Higgins brings many intangibles to the table that Ryder does not and he is a more well rounded player, Latendresse brings size and grit, and Kostitsyns skill level is much more impressive than Ryder's. These players are to me a bigger part of our future core than Ryder will likely will be. He is a good player and would have good trade value. If we could use Ryder as part of a package to bring in a forty goal man than I think we would improve this team a fair bit.

If Ryder stays and can find a home on the second line I would also be very happy. I just think we need a better winger one the first line.

That does sound good i mean but common Ryder could be in our future he has been playing for hamilton and all that and i am sure he will be a 40 goal man!! just give the player i break he will improve during the summer you just don't know that yet, and i still got faith in him i mean i have been watching him when he was playing for hamilton and he really stand out for me and teached me alot about hockey and i would hate to see him leave he has done alot and that is why he is may favorite player i just want ryder to prove that he can be on montreal and get better and better the fans will love it!! :D !! I want ryder to stay on montreal !!

Guest habgab
I think ryder,Halak and a second round draft pick could bring us the player we want.

And, the supporting cast would be? Don't we want someone to complement Ryder's skills ( as he is currently the top goal scorer)? I don't understand why Ryder is seemingly the most dispensible on the team - but for Ryder, the Habs record in the past few years would be even more dismal than it has been. I don't see how trading the best scorer you have for this one alleged saviour will make the Habs a contender.

Guest Miltie01
And, the supporting cast would be? Don't we want someone to complement Ryder's skills ( as he is currently the top goal scorer)? I don't understand why Ryder is seemingly the most dispensible on the team - but for Ryder, the Habs record in the past few years would be even more dismal than it has been. I don't see how trading the best scorer you have for this one alleged saviour will make the Habs a contender.

The conundrum is who else do we have have that other teams might actually want ?

The last thing I would want is to trade Ryder, but with his impending UFA status and his high marketability, it might just be what has to happen.

Let's hope not.

Guest halifax_habs

We aren't magically a contender by moving Ryder for a forty goal man. Like many others who think a trade is possible point out we want to move Ryder only because he is one of our most marketable players. By bringing in a true first line winger we would fill one of the big holes in this team. I don't want Ryder moved for the sake of a trade, and if we keep him I love what he brings to the team. Personally I just don't think he has the skill level to be the got to guy on the first line. I think he is a thirty goal man not a forty goal scorer. If he proves me wrong this year I will be estatic.

As for the supporting cast it would look something like this with a Ryder trade. Personally I think that would be a solid group of forwards and could be very suprising if Kovalev woke up on the first line.

new LW - Koivu - Kovalev

Higgins - Pleks - Kostitsyn

Lahti - Smolinksi - Latendresse

Begin - Lapierre - Kostopolous

I would much rather see Kovalev dealt for a top line left winger, and leave Ryder as our first line RW. I still think Ryder is a second liner but with another sniper on the top line it wouldn't be a huge issue. Like JL says though there are 4 1/2 million reasons why it would be tough for us to move Kovalev for the type of player we need.

Archived