The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

73 Michael Ryder 06-07

jl-1

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest CharlottetownHabbies

"Packaging" Ryder to get a 30-40 goal scorer doesn't make much sense, as that's what he is to us now. See where the season goes, deadline deal for a pick/picks so he can't walk on us. Act like you got some sense.

"Packaging" Ryder to get a 30-40 goal scorer doesn't make much sense, as that's what he is to us now. See where the season goes, deadline deal for a pick/picks so he can't walk on us. Act like you got some sense.

Well, Ryder is a 40 goal scorer without his famous 3 week goal scoring slumps

Guest RedLightRacicot
You have to keep in mind that trading a player changes the chemestry of the team.

It's pretty safe to say we could use some change in chemestry based on our finshing last year, although I would rather keep Ryder than Kovalev.

Guest 11CaptainKoivu11
The conundrum is who else do we have have that other teams might actually want ?

Personally I think we lose just as much trading Ryder then we pick up. I am sure Gainey has had good deals come across his desk for Ryder and hasn't moved him yet. Simple fact is unless we get a top 10 forward in a deal involving Ryder, a prospect, and say a draft pick or two, then is there any sense of moving him really?

I think if you look at what Montreal has to offer it might just be the least inviting team to trade with in the league.

Our abundance of prospects and goaltenders might entice somebody but then I see that more as a deadline deal and we might be sellers instead of buyers so that doesn't help us. In which case Ryder maybe moved unless a deal can be done but we all know what Gainey has said about talking contract during the season. I think he should make an exception here but the guy likes to stick to his guns.

Guest 11CaptainKoivu11
I still think Ryder is a second liner but with another sniper on the top line it wouldn't be a huge issue.

I don't see how Ryder is a second liner. Really the guy is a top line player, but just cause he doesn't put up the big numbers doesn't mean he doesn't belong there. I think he is a strong number 3 guy on the first line, his numbers prove it. That said, I think we need to keep Ryder and bring in a solid number top line LW to help compliment Ryder and Koivu. Then we will have one of the best top Lines in the league.

And, the supporting cast would be? Don't we want someone to complement Ryder's skills ( as he is currently the top goal scorer)? I don't understand why Ryder is seemingly the most dispensible on the team - but for Ryder, the Habs record in the past few years would be even more dismal than it has been. I don't see how trading the best scorer you have for this one alleged saviour will make the Habs a contender.

Ryder is NOT dispensable. But he IS the most marketable trade commodity we have, and given that he doesn't seem to want to sign here to a long-term contract, I would rather trade him for something rather than lose him for nothing in free agency. If we were able to package Ryder as part of a trade for a 40-goal LW, I would do it in a heartbeat, because we have a logjam at RW and we have at least two players (Kovalev and Kostitsyn) who could step into Ryder's spot and be productive in their own way while we'd still be benefiting from our top-line LW's 40 goals, which we don't have right now.

Guest halifax_habs
I don't see how Ryder is a second liner. Really the guy is a top line player, but just cause he doesn't put up the big numbers doesn't mean he doesn't belong there. I think he is a strong number 3 guy on the first line, his numbers prove it. That said, I think we need to keep Ryder and bring in a solid number top line LW to help compliment Ryder and Koivu. Then we will have one of the best top Lines in the league.

Maybe he is a first liner, but our first line with Koivu and Ryder and x on the left wing fail to score five on five. Sometimes last season they went entire games where only one or two shifts looked remotely dangerous. We need a top line who is not only going to put up points but create chances and pressure the other team five on five night after night. Ryder Koivu and x were only truly effective on the powerplay for most of last season, although with Higgins they showed some real jump before his injury.

Maybe a new LW would solve this problem, and allow Ryder to fit into that number three role and show he truly belongs on the top line. However we get into the old catch-22 of who is that LW and how do we get him? Ryder is one of the few guys good enough to include in a package for the kind of guy who's gonna give us 40+ goals. Add in the fact that he is an UFA next season and we've had trouble getting him under contract as a RFA and you have even more reason to make a move. Also consider we have 22 year old Kostitsyn and 20 year old Latendresse who are both promising right wingers. For now we would probably see Kovalev pick up first line duties if we moved Ryder, which might help bump him out of his slump because Koivu-Kovalev have some chemistry, and although I wouldn't want Kovalev being the go to guy on the first line he has the skills to contribute.

I'd much rather trade Kovalev and try and get our LW for the first line to play with Ryder-Koivu. I don't think any is going to pick up Kovalev's salary and give us back a good LW. So you do the best with what you've got and move Ryder to try and get a top scorer.

Regardless it's all talk. I'd love for Ryder to prove me wrong. I am a big Ryder fan and if he scores 40+ goals this year than we do everything we can to get him under contract and find a LW to add even more punch to the top line.

Guest habinto
given that he doesn't seem to want to sign here to a long-term contract,

Or Gainey did not want to sign him to a long term contract. Did Gainey or Ryder say that Ryder only wanted a one year deal or are you making a assumption.

But it does not really matter who requested a one year deal. The bottom line is that he is UFA at the end of the year. I think that every time Gainey asks about big name players like Marleau, the other team probably want Ryder because they understand the value of a 30 gaol player. Why would Mtl want a 30 goal scorer?

Ryder is NOT dispensable. But he IS the most marketable trade commodity we have, and given that he doesn't seem to want to sign here to a long-term contract, I would rather trade him for something rather than lose him for nothing in free agency. If we were able to package Ryder as part of a trade for a 40-goal LW, I would do it in a heartbeat, because we have a logjam at RW and we have at least two players (Kovalev and Kostitsyn) who could step into Ryder's spot and be productive in their own way while we'd still be benefiting from our top-line LW's 40 goals, which we don't have right now.

With all due respect to you Weep, I'm not quite ready to anoint the elder Kostitsyn our other scoring line RW, given that he only had 11 points in 22 games...not until he's had a full season under his belt at least.

What I'd be interested to see (in the pre-season at least) is what Sergei Kostitsyn could do on the top line with Koivu and Ryder. He might be able to provide a more consistent dynamic to our top line. If he works out we could potentially end up with 3 dangerous scoring lines.

Or Gainey did not want to sign him to a long term contract. Did Gainey or Ryder say that Ryder only wanted a one year deal or are you making a assumption.

No, you are correct in that I am assuming that it was Ryder who balked at the long-term contract. I really find it hard to believe that Gainey wouldn't want to lock up Ryder to a long-term contract. He's been our top goalscorer for two straight seasons, our only 30-goal man, he's a clutch player ... I can't see Gainey spurning Ryder, especially given our struggles to score goals.

With all due respect to you Weep, I'm not quite ready to anoint the elder Kostitsyn our other scoring line RW, given that he only had 11 points in 22 games...not until he's had a full season under his belt at least.

What I'd be interested to see (in the pre-season at least) is what Sergei Kostitsyn could do on the top line with Koivu and Ryder. He might be able to provide a more consistent dynamic to our top line. If he works out we could potentially end up with 3 dangerous scoring lines.

Mojo, I'm confused. You're hesitant to give Andrei a chance, despite his impressive performance at the end of last season, but you're willing to give Sergei a shot on the top line when Sergei hasn't even played a game in the AHL, much less the NHL. :unsure:

But I will concede that Andrei hasn't proven anything at the NHL level yet. That being said, we have tried everyone and their brother on the top line, so why not Andrei Kostitsyn, who has the most natural talent of any of our current AHL forward prospects?

I am going off-topic right now, though, so I'll stop. :)

No, you are correct in that I am assuming that it was Ryder who balked at the long-term contract. I really find it hard to believe that Gainey wouldn't want to lock up Ryder to a long-term contract. He's been our top goalscorer for two straight seasons, our only 30-goal man, he's a clutch player ... I can't see Gainey spurning Ryder, especially given our struggles to score goals.

Mojo, I'm confused. You're hesitant to give Andrei a chance, despite his impressive performance at the end of last season, but you're willing to give Sergei a shot on the top line when Sergei hasn't even played a game in the AHL, much less the NHL. :unsure:

But I will concede that Andrei hasn't proven anything at the NHL level yet. That being said, we have tried everyone and their brother on the top line, so why not Andrei Kostitsyn, who has the most natural talent of any of our current AHL forward prospects?

I am going off-topic right now, though, so I'll stop. :)

I'm willing to give Sergei a chance in the pre-season.

The reason I didn't want you to be so quick to annoint him is because you seem rather eager to trade Ryder away...I don't have any problem with either Kostitsyn being on our top 2 scoring lines...as a matter of fact, there's nothing I'd love more than to have them steal a pair of roster spots and provide consistent scoring for the club...But I want to see a more consistent offensive effort from the club overall before we entertain offers on Ryder. That's all.

Guest habinto

Sergei is not going to make the team. We have way to many good AHL players that are deserving of a chance. Can Grab play on the wings.

As for Ryder he is th ebest we have = scores goals

Guest habsfan7344

actually i just got a hockey book yesterday and it says that Ryder, Koivu, Plekanec, Higgins and Kovalev are the heart of the offfence i mean if yah take one out its just not kool i want ryder to stay and i kno he can show montreal wat he is made of we lost Souray in a UFA and now you guys thinking ryder might do the same i mean common he can always sigh again!!! :D I believe that Ryder is one of the best players on montreal and he will get 30+ goals this season i kno he would go great in the market cause everybody wants ryder but montreal is lucky to have this Newfoundland boy!!

I think that he is ganna sigh again with the habs!! :D

Sergei is not going to make the team. We have way to many good AHL players that are deserving of a chance. Can Grab play on the wings.

As for Ryder he is th ebest we have = scores goals

First off, no one deserves anything...given our placing in the conference last year ALL spots are fair game. Secondly, you can't say for sure that Sergei won't play in MTL next season. Latendresse made it last year based on his play in camp and the younger Kostitsyn could easily do the same.

We have to look at getting an LW that compliments Koivu and Ryder. Because Higgins played so well with Pleks and Andrei we're going to have to find a replacement on the top line. If we solve that problem internally, then we take some of the pressure off Ryder to score , thus giving him more of an opportunity to score IMO.

Guest habsfan7344
First off, no one deserves anything...given our placing in the conference last year ALL spots are fair game. Secondly, you can't say for sure that Sergei won't play in MTL next season. Latendresse made it last year based on his play in camp and the younger Kostitsyn could easily do the same.

We have to look at getting an LW that compliments Koivu and Ryder. Because Higgins played so well with Pleks and Andrei we're going to have to find a replacement on the top line. If we solve that problem internally, then we take some of the pressure off Ryder to score , thus giving him more of an opportunity to score IMO.

TRUE!

Guest habinto

First, Second and Third - time will confirm everything. But my crystal ball is not seeing the same thing that your's is. My ball says Sergei is not even close to making it to the NHL.

Guest habinto
I really find it hard to believe that Gainey wouldn't want to lock up Ryder to a long-term contract. He's been our top goalscorer for two straight seasons, our only 30-goal man, he's a clutch player ... I can't see Gainey spurning Ryder, especially given our struggles to score goals.

Maybe Gainey did not want to pony up the right kind of $$ to get Ryder signed to a long term contract. Would that be Gainey's fault or Ryder? Is Gainey too cheap or Ryder to greaty. We would need to make another assumption. May as well say Ryder is greaty like everyone else?

I'm willing to give Sergei a chance in the pre-season.

The reason I didn't want you to be so quick to annoint him is because you seem rather eager to trade Ryder away...I don't have any problem with either Kostitsyn being on our top 2 scoring lines...as a matter of fact, there's nothing I'd love more than to have them steal a pair of roster spots and provide consistent scoring for the club...But I want to see a more consistent offensive effort from the club overall before we entertain offers on Ryder. That's all.

Thing is, that consistent offense may not come right away, but Ryder will be UFA by season's end, and then we risk losing him for nothing and still not have that offense come through. That's the only reason I want to trade Ryder. It's not like I enjoy the prospect of seeing our only 30-goal scorer leave, but given a choice between him leaving in free agency and us getting something return for him, possibly at the trade deadline, I'll take the latter.

Thing is, that consistent offense may not come right away, but Ryder will be UFA by season's end, and then we risk losing him for nothing and still not have that offense come through. That's the only reason I want to trade Ryder. It's not like I enjoy the prospect of seeing our only 30-goal scorer leave, but given a choice between him leaving in free agency and us getting something return for him, possibly at the trade deadline, I'll take the latter.

True-but by the trade deadline you should know where you stand in regard to your offence. If by then it's been determined that Ryder is expendable then we should explore that option. If not, I'd rather take my chances losing him to free agency. Then again I'm not as pessimistic about Ryder leaving (no offence intended). I think (and hope) that he resigns.

To tell you the truth habby00, my loyalties are with Ryder, and not the canadiens. If you haven't noticed, we haven't really been a cup contender for, what, 10+ years? I doubt adding Hamrlik and Smolinski is going to magically get us the cup. Ryder has been one of the positive traits of the habs and to tell you the truth, if he wasn't still here I would have lost my patience with the habs by now.

I've always cheered for the logo on the front of the jersey as opposed to the name in the back... and always will.

I really like Ryder, like I really liked Souray, but it's the Habs I'm cheering for... win or loose, no fair weather fan in this house. :D

Guest Miltie01
I've always cheered for the logo on the front of the jersey as opposed to the name in the back... and always will.

I really like Ryder, like I really liked Souray, but it's the Habs I'm cheering for... win or loose, no fair weather fan in this house. :D

Did I ever tell you why I like JL ?

Absolutely correct.....love Ryder, but the team is first !!!!

Archived