The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

73 Michael Ryder 06-07

jl-1

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest habsfan7344

need to see RYDER!!!, Latendresse, Higgins, PLekanec, Koivu, Kostitsyn and Komisarek!!!!

Need to see our best trio!!! Higgins-Koivu-Ryder!!!!!!!!!!!

stupid leafs Ryders 3 AMAZING goals!!!!!! and Higgins 2 goals and yah kick us out of the playoffs but u don't make it either boy was i happy to hear the leafs not making it i was soo happy!!!! but not as happy as i see our habs lifting up the stanley cup this year i can just picture Ryder holding it up!!! i will be crying that day!! GO RYDER!!!!!!!!!

(sorry have to mention this Ryder and Higgins are roomates on the road there like Buddies!!! my favorites are

#1 Ryder #2 Higgins cause after every single celebration they go to each other like in a real happy way!! i can see the bond that they have!! :D

Guest habs_fan1160

So why is it that people are saying they don't like Ryder? Because he's a puck-hog? Ha, plenty of other's on the team that deserve that title more than Ryder does.

So I'm assuming with Sami gone, Ryder is the new scapegoat if anything goes wrong this season?

Guest habsfan7344
So why is it that people are saying they don't like Ryder? Because he's a puck-hog? Ha, plenty of other's on the team that deserve that title more than Ryder does.

So I'm assuming with Sami gone, Ryder is the new scapegoat if anything goes wrong this season?

thank you i agree!!! Ryder isn't even a big ouck hog maybe once a while!!! i think he is ganna be great Bob can't trade him and he needs to sign him longer!! Please Ryder sign with habs for like 3 years!!!

Guest habs_fan1160
thank you i agree!!! Ryder isn't even a big ouck hog maybe once a while!!! i think he is ganna be great Bob can't trade him and he needs to sign him longer!! Please Ryder sign with habs for like 3 years!!!

I agree.

The Ryder bashing is absoulty unwarrented. With Souray gone, who's going to score for us? More than likely Ryder. He's pretty much the only "sniper" we have - it may not be enough, but it's hardly Ryder's fault that we didn't sign anyone over the summer.

I think there are plenty of other guys on the team that deserve this heavy discussion, rather than Ryder. He's one of the best Habs we've had on our team for a long time.

Guest habsfan7344
I agree.

The Ryder bashing is absoulty unwarrented. With Souray gone, who's going to score for us? More than likely Ryder. He's pretty much the only "sniper" we have - it may not be enough, but it's hardly Ryder's fault that we didn't sign anyone over the summer.

I think there are plenty of other guys on the team that deserve this heavy discussion, rather than Ryder. He's one of the best Habs we've had on our team for a long time.

thank you so much u read my mind ryder is amazing!!! other players do need this talk more then ryder!! AMEN THANK YOU!!

But it is on Ryder. He is usually the last guy getting back in the defensive zone shift after shift.

As for Koivu he never had a + - stat like last year. He always killed penalties. He had a horrible time finding the puck in his feet so I can contribute that to some of his turnovers. Also playing with a defensive unaware person like ryder made thinsg even worse.

And your analogy on Ryder playing penalty kill is correct expect for a couple of things.

********It was very early in the season last year and Carbo was probably trying to teach him to be more aware in the defensive zone. When he realized that wasn't going to happen he stopped putting him out there. Secondaly most times i seen Ryder killing penalties we were usually way ahead or behind on the scoresheet. O doubt he will get any this year on our team or any other team.

JL, i can understand you defending Ryder for his goaling scoring I can see you having 100 valid reasons. But, his defensive game and attention to learning that part of the game is horrendous and that is why every year Ryder ends up being demoted for a period of time.

Also he has been a thorn to sign since his Junior days. I don't think he really ever wanted to play here. At the time though it looked like we were the only team willing to give him a chance. He did however have to work extremly hard to earn his right to play in the big leagues. I salute him for that. I suspect if Claude Julian had not taken him up from the East Coast hockey league to the AHL and then the NHL we may not even have a thread about Michael Ryder.

I'm sorry but that is not true. Ryder averaged 0:48 seconds a game short handed, and that's an average for the year, not for the first part of the season. As I said before, he'll never win the Selke, but he's not as bad defensively as you (or others) are trying to make him out to be. Nothing to do with the start, middle of end of the season, as he was used all year in those situations.

Now compare that this his 0:06 seconds average in 2005-06 and you have that guy working on his defense. Carbonneau and Jarvis know a thing or two about defensive play and they know better than to focus on the +/- only when judging a player's defensive play. I don't know what else to bring to the table to prove that fact as I would then fall into intangibles like the examples you're bringing, which doesn't add any weight to our debate here.

I don't care if his last name was Gretzky or Lemieux. If you have a wide open man and you're covered there's no point in shooting it into the defenders shin pads. Or he'll try a few high school moves to try to get around a couple guys on his own.

Ryder is NOT a good puck carrier. He's better off letting Koivu do his job and wait in the slot. What frustrates a lot of fans about Ryder is that he tries to make his own opportunities all the time when he doesn't have the skill to.

I look at Brett Hull as a perfect example of a sniper. He found his open spot and waited for Oates to find him. That's exactly how Ryder has to play!

I've been arguing these same things all along...

The only part i have an issue with is in bold. As a professional hockey player... a lot of people care!

Did people complain about Hull not passing? Maybe. But that wasn't his job. I'd hate to see Ryder miss a scoring opportunity by passing to someone who doesn't have his scoring touch. Ryder's job is to shoot. Koivu's job is to set him up. That's why on a team you have some grinders, some playmakers, some snipers and Ryder is the later.

So if ovechkin played here would we be laying into him too for being a puck hog? because lord knows he takes about double the shots per game that Ryder does, no one in washington is complaining though, because you get atleast 40 goals out of it. Here in Montreal, we want a player to not use his strengths, but use his weaknesses, that makes NO sense to me at all.

He needs to shoot, thats his job, he shouldn't touch the puck unless he is carrying it or about to shoot it, those who don't like that and think thats puck hogging, my suggestion is cover your eyes when he has the puck, and wait for the sound of the puck banking in off the post, then you can open them. After doing this about 15 times, you'll probably realize its not half as bad of a tactic as you think.

Exactly. I'd hate to see him try some fancy passing and get intercepted when he has a shot at the net. To each his strength.

Guest habsfan7344
Did people complain about Hull not passing? Maybe. But that wasn't his job. I'd hate to see Ryder miss a scoring opportunity by passing to someone who doesn't have his scoring touch. Ryder's job is to shoot. Koivu's job is to set him up. That's why on a team you have some grinders, some playmakers, some snipers and Ryder is the later.

Exactly. I'd hate to see him try some fancy passing and get intercepted when he has a shot at the net. To each his strength.

thank you for saying this ryder is not a big puck hog only once a while if you give him a pass he will put that puck wright were it is suposed to be and yes ryder's job is to shot and he is really good at it to!!! If he works hard he can probably do some stick handeling to but Ryder is good at power plays pretty good defencively and he has a sniper shot!!! He is also awsome at shot out!!! so please stop it with this puck hog thing on ryder other players on the team deserve this discution instead of ryder we should be cheering him and talk about his streigths not his weekneses!!! i mean look at ovenchkin get double maybe even tripple as many shot then Ryder and no one blames him it just bugs me!! and i kno bob will give him a big deal!! :D

Guest habby00

absolutely. Gainey will be trying to sign Ryder for 4 years in the 23-25M range. With any luck he'll throw in the captaincy. That's how you reward the most constant element of your team.

Honestly, Ryder scores clutch goals, works hard and has a good attitude, he's just the perfect fit for gainey's future plans.

Guest RadioHab
absolutely. Gainey will be trying to sign Ryder for 4 years in the 23-25M range. With any luck he'll throw in the captaincy. That's how you reward the most constant element of your team.

Honestly, Ryder scores clutch goals, works hard and has a good attitude, he's just the perfect fit for gainey's future plans.

Around 6 mill a year for 4 years....hmm I don't know about that. I would love to see him resigned but that is pretty steep. IMO I somewhere between 4-5 mill should be fine for a 4 year contract.

If Gainey gave Ryder that much a year I would lose all faith in his contract negotiating capabilities. Perhaps Ryder will get an "A"in the future but that captaincy? For real? Although I think most people bash Ryder when he doesn't deserve it I think you're over-hyping him big time.

Guest old-time Habs fan
If Gainey gave Ryder that much a year I would lose all faith in his contract negotiating capabilities. Perhaps Ryder will get an "A"in the future but that captaincy? For real? Although I think most people bash Ryder when he doesn't deserve it I think you're over-hyping him big time.

A for effort, and for goals,

though he may not win the polls;

sniping Ryder seems like fun,

at least they think his head's a gun.

Rifle Ryder rides once more,

and in short order, he will score;

and score again, to pass his goal,

then, maybe then, he'll top the poll!

GO RYDER GO!

if we signed him long term between 3.7 per year and 4.3 i'd be quite happy.

But in all likelyhood, Ryder will test the market, and find the grass is greener somewhere else as far as the paycheque goes, and will possibly take the offer. At which point we better hope we can get our hands on a 20+ goal scorer that summer, and that Higgins has proven to be a capable 30+ goal guy.

Because I garuntee that will be the situation that needs to come to life before people realize how important a guy like Ryder is, they will cry over his departure then, when they should have been cheering his stay with us the whole time. Ryder isn't a perfect player, we all know that, but he is perfect at what he does best, and that is finding openings over the goalies shoulders like no one else on the team, with the exception of Kovalev at times(when he wants to). A player like this doesn't deserve to be trampled on just because he can't thread a needle with every pass, he can thread a needle with every shot.

We give Koivu the pass for not being able to score more than 22 goals a season because its not his style, he is a playmaker. Well being the playmaker is not Ryder's style, he is the sniper, so my question is, why doesn't he get the same pass?

Guest habfan in leafland
So if ovechkin played here would we be laying into him too for being a puck hog? because lord knows he takes about double the shots per game that Ryder does, no one in washington is complaining though, because you get atleast 40 goals out of it. Here in Montreal, we want a player to not use his strengths, but use his weaknesses, that makes NO sense to me at all.

He needs to shoot, thats his job, he shouldn't touch the puck unless he is carrying it or about to shoot it, those who don't like that and think thats puck hogging, my suggestion is cover your eyes when he has the puck, and wait for the sound of the puck banking in off the post, then you can open them. After doing this about 15 times, you'll probably realize its not half as bad of a tactic as you think.

Ovechkin has moves that Ryder hasn't even dreamed about yet! Bad comparison.

Guest habfan in leafland

So... you're saying my opinion is wrong but you're proving it by agreeing with me?!?

I want Ryder to be Hull. Hull found his open spot and waited for the pass to let it rip! If Ryder has a clear shot, I have no problem with him shooting... I've said all along his wrist shot it awesome. I'm not against Ryder shooting, i'm against him shooting when he's covered and doesn't have a chance of getting it through.

Ovechkin has moves that Ryder hasn't even dreamed about yet! Bad comparison.

I think that you've missed his point. He wasn't comparing both players, he was saying that Ovechkin will shoot instead of passing, which is what Ryder must do to be successful.

The Ryder argument is one that is not winable. Those who don't care for him call him a puck hog and say he's bad defensively...They argue that he always shoots the puck (eventhough he has more career assists than he has goals) and use his horrible +/- from last year as evidence of his defensive shortcomings. His career +/- before this season by the way was +5...not bad for a guy who sucks so bad defensively.

Here's the kicker though...From what I've seen on this forum...Stats are only valid when you're trying to prove how horrible Ryder is and NEVER when you're trying to prove how solid of a player he is. Whenever you point out to someone thast Ryder has more carreer assists than goals, all of the sudden, mystically even, the stats don't count. Whenever you show that he saw almost a minute on average in ice-time shorthanded, the stats don't count.

If you're going to make an argument either for or against Ryder than fine. But don't sit there and have one set of rules strictly for arguing your point and an entirely different set of rules for your opponent in the debate.

Guest leafsreallysuck
The Ryder argument is one that is not winable. Those who don't care for him call him a puck hog and say he's bad defensively...They argue that he always shoots the puck (eventhough he has more career assists than he has goals) and use his horrible +/- from last year as evidence of his defensive shortcomings. His career +/- before this season by the way was +5...not bad for a guy who sucks so bad defensively.

Here's the kicker though...From what I've seen on this forum...Stats are only valid when you're trying to prove how horrible Ryder is and NEVER when you're trying to prove how solid of a player he is. Whenever you point out to someone thast Ryder has more carreer assists than goals, all of the sudden, mystically even, the stats don't count. Whenever you show that he saw almost a minute on average in ice-time shorthanded, the stats don't count.

If you're going to make an argument either for or against Ryder than fine. But don't sit there and have one set of rules strictly for arguing your point and an entirely different set of rules for your opponent in the debate.

Totally agree with you, this thread is just amazing and posting in here feels like arguing with a brick wall. :blink:

Guest HabsfanfromtheROCK

Hello guys, yesterday i played on the baseball field in witless bay, newfoundland. The place where Ryder played 2 years ago. I thought it was cool just thinking about it. My friend who saw the game that he played said he sucked at baseball and should stick with hockey:D

Guest habfan in leafland

This argument isn't able to be won because a lot of fans read criticism and think we're BASHING the guy. I've stated many times that i think Ryder is an important player on the Habs but he has to fix (such and such). Many people are posting politely how they want Ryder to improve or what style of game he should stick to and everyone says "Don't bash Ryder, he's our best scorer".

When people stop looking at Ryder through rose-colored glasses they'll realize he still needs to improve. He needs to improve even more then Kovalev or even more then Pleks, mainly because he's on the 1st line and 1st powerplay unit.

Guest habinto
I think that you've missed his point. He wasn't comparing both players, he was saying that Ovechkin will shoot instead of passing, which is what Ryder must do to be successful.

As long as he scores he can shoot first and ask questions later. A la Bossy and Hull !!!

Guest habfan in leafland

You missed my point... Ovechkin has the moves to make opportunities for himself. If someone is covering him he can find an open shooting lane. Ryder just shoots into the defenders shinpads or tries his limited puck carrying abilities to make an opportunity.

It's ludicrous to even compare the two of them!

Archived