The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

73 Michael Ryder 06-07

jl-1

You missed my point... Ovechkin has the moves to make opportunities for himself. If someone is covering him he can find an open shooting lane. Ryder just shoots into the defenders shinpads or tries his limited puck carrying abilities to make an opportunity.

It's ludicrous to even compare the two of them!

But it's perfectly ok for us to compare Kovalev and Guy Lafleur? :blink: What exactly am I missing here?

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest habinto
But it's perfectly ok for us to compare Kovalev and Guy Lafleur? :blink: What exactly am I missing here?

Your missing nothing! I'm very confused too. And Koivu is one of the 10 top Habs player of all time. What's next?

Guest habfan in leafland

If it makes a difference, I think that comparison is silly as well. ;)

Guest gottaHABit
You missed my point... Ovechkin has the moves to make opportunities for himself. If someone is covering him he can find an open shooting lane. Ryder just shoots into the defenders shinpads or tries his limited puck carrying abilities to make an opportunity.

For someone who can't carry the puck or who just shoots into defenders shin pads, he scores a whole lot more than any other forward on this team.

This argument isn't able to be won because a lot of fans read criticism and think we're BASHING the guy. I've stated many times that i think Ryder is an important player on the Habs but he has to fix (such and such). Many people are posting politely how they want Ryder to improve or what style of game he should stick to and everyone says "Don't bash Ryder, he's our best scorer".

When people stop looking at Ryder through rose-colored glasses they'll realize he still needs to improve. He needs to improve even more then Kovalev or even more then Pleks, mainly because he's on the 1st line and 1st powerplay unit.

That's a double edged sword though, my friend. For every 1 person on this forum who looks at Ryder through rose coloured glasses, there's at least 3 more who equally exagerate his short comings.

I never once said Ryder was perfect. And it's not the people who constructively criticize him that bother me. However, people who call him a "Puck hog" I can't agree with simply because it's not true. Kovalev hangs on to the puck and dipsy-doodles past defenders only to lose the puck eventually without ever getting a shot off; and yet Ryder's a puck hog because he shoots the puck on net? I'm sorry but if anything a guy with the shooting accuracy of a Michael Ryder needs to put the puck on net more.

And I also don't agree with Ryder needing to improve more than Kovalev. Kovalev has 15 seasons n the NHL under his belt, he should be a lot better with that amount of experience behind him.

Now hopefully next year Ryder and Kovalev both will play not only up to impossible fan expectations, but beyond them as well. It would definitely make for an entertaining season. ;)

Guest habfan in leafland
For someone who can't carry the puck or who just shoots into defenders shin pads, he scores a whole lot more than any other forward on this team.

He scores more, but i wouldn't say a whole lot more. He had 4 more then Souray and 8 more then Koivu and Higgins.

He scores when he gets open in the slot, and off rebounds or quick shots coming from the boards. He doesn't often score by threading the needle through a defender or by deking d-men out of their socks.

Guest gottaHABit
He scores more, but i wouldn't say a whole lot more. He had 4 more then Souray and 8 more then Koivu and Higgins.

Souray's not a forward, and 8 more than 22 is about 36%. I'd call that a whole lot, and I'm sure you would too if Koivu had 30 and Ryder had 22.

Souray is no longer here

22 is a career high for Saku IF he plays a full season with no injuries

Higgins 22, Plekanecs 20, Kovalev 18

The rest of the team couldn't score on an empty net

30 is impressive for this Team , and will probably be missed next year unless we miraculously sign an UFA scoring machine or if one of these great prospects blossoms into a threat

Guest old-time Habs fan
He scores when he gets open in the slot, and off rebounds or quick shots coming from the boards. He doesn't often score by threading the needle through a defender or by deking d-men out of their socks.

However he gets 'em,

they still count as goals;

the point of the play,

is to put between poles;

As a sniper, his aim,

is to shoot in fair game,

and this year, God willing,

he'll do just the same!

GO RYDER GO!

Guest habsfan7344
The Ryder argument is one that is not winable. Those who don't care for him call him a puck hog and say he's bad defensively...They argue that he always shoots the puck (eventhough he has more career assists than he has goals) and use his horrible +/- from last year as evidence of his defensive shortcomings. His career +/- before this season by the way was +5...not bad for a guy who sucks so bad defensively.

Here's the kicker though...From what I've seen on this forum...Stats are only valid when you're trying to prove how horrible Ryder is and NEVER when you're trying to prove how solid of a player he is. Whenever you point out to someone thast Ryder has more carreer assists than goals, all of the sudden, mystically even, the stats don't count. Whenever you show that he saw almost a minute on average in ice-time shorthanded, the stats don't count.

If you're going to make an argument either for or against Ryder than fine. But don't sit there and have one set of rules strictly for arguing your point and an entirely different set of rules for your opponent in the debate.

I agree with you 100% i mean ovenchkin has a lot of moves but he hogs the puck and there are more players on the team that deserves this talk more then Ryder were luck that we have him he i the best player on the team u give him a puck hill put it were its suposed to be so those of you who are against him!! i really don't know wat your thinking Bob wil sigh him again!! Ryder can move the puck if he practices!!

SOOOOOO can we please just talk about others stuff about Ryder like all the great games and goals and plays!! :D:D:D:D

Your missing nothing! I'm very confused too. And Koivu is one of the 10 top Habs player of all time. What's next?

no he is not.no way.maybe not even in the top 25,i don't even think he's one of the top 10 centers.I don't know the numbers but we have alot of hall-of -famers,who are better.koivu isn't close to being a hall of famer

Around 6 mill a year for 4 years....hmm I don't know about that. I would love to see him resigned but that is pretty steep. IMO I somewhere between 4-5 mill should be fine for a 4 year contract.

we could have signed him for a cheaper number,but bg screwed up and he's going to get 5+m$ as a free agent.

Guest habsfan7344
no he is not.no way.maybe not even in the top 25,i don't even think he's one of the top 10 centers.I don't know the numbers but we have alot of hall-of -famers,who are better.koivu isn't close to being a hall of famer

Koivu is a great center and captain he is brave and everything we need in a catain he shure will be in the hall of fame can we just contunue talking about ryder here + koivu plays great with RYDER!! :D

Guest habsfan7344

all i gatta say tp put all my words together in a short form is:

RYDER rules please stop with the puck hog cause he only does it once a while not a lot like ovenchkin i mean in a season ovenchkin has a lot of shots on goal like 3 times as much as ryder and he is the best shoter on the habs!!!

that shorts it up!! :D

GO RYDER GO!! WE GOT THE BEST PLAYER IN NEWFOUNDLAND!! YAH!!

Missed point... again! He's not comparing the two! If Ryder was Ovechkin, he'd get paid $7 million a season! What Ryder has in common with Ovechkin is that he's a shooter, not a playmaker.

Guest habfan in leafland
So if ovechkin played here would we be laying into him too for being a puck hog? because lord knows he takes about double the shots per game that Ryder does, no one in washington is complaining though, because you get atleast 40 goals out of it. Here in Montreal, we want a player to not use his strengths, but use his weaknesses, that makes NO sense to me at all.

He needs to shoot, thats his job, he shouldn't touch the puck unless he is carrying it or about to shoot it, those who don't like that and think thats puck hogging, my suggestion is cover your eyes when he has the puck, and wait for the sound of the puck banking in off the post, then you can open them. After doing this about 15 times, you'll probably realize its not half as bad of a tactic as you think.

Missed point... again! He's not comparing the two! If Ryder was Ovechkin, he'd get paid $7 million a season! What Ryder has in common with Ovechkin is that he's a shooter, not a playmaker.

Yes he is! And so are you. Comparing their roles and seeing that they're similar is still comparing them.

And you missed my point... again. I've said MANY TIMES Ryder is a shooter and not a playmaker. ;)

Yes he is! And so are you. Comparing their roles and seeing that they're similar is still comparing them.

And you missed my point... again. I've said MANY TIMES Ryder is a shooter and not a playmaker. ;)

Not one bit! The only part compared in Link's comment is that both are primarily shooters instead of passers... and that's where it stops! He's not comparing the stick handling, physical play, defensive abilities, skating abilities, age, position or anything else. That's the point you either don't get or simply refuse to admit. Again, he's not comparing the players, he's comparing the shooting first mentality, period. And because of that, he's saying that some fans would call Ovechkin a puck hog if he played here. :rolleyes:

Guest habfan in leafland
Not one bit! The only part compared in Link's comment is that both are primarily shooters instead of passers... and that's where it stops! He's not comparing the stick handling, physical play, defensive abilities, skating abilities, age, position or anything else. That's the point you either don't get or simply refuse to admit. Again, he's not comparing the players, he's comparing the shooting first mentality, period. And because of that, he's saying that some fans would call Ovechkin a puck hog if he played here. :rolleyes:

I realize Ovechkin and Ryder are primarily shooters... I'd be surprised if anyone called Ovechkin a hog here though. Ovechkin can take quality shots on net because of his puck handling skills. Ryder can't.

It's not hard to understand this... :blink:

I realize Ovechkin and Ryder are primarily shooters... I'd be surprised if anyone called Ovechkin a hog here though. Ovechkin can take quality shots on net because of his puck handling skills. Ryder can't.

It's not hard to understand this... :blink:

So because Ryder doesn't have the same puck handling skills as Ovechkin it gives fans license to call him a puck hog? :blink: I'm sorry but if you watch the video of Ryders goals, a good portion of the time, the only time he has the puck on his blade is when he's about to put it in the back of the net. That's not a puck hog, that's someone doing what he's paid to do.

Guest habfan in leafland
So because Ryder doesn't have the same puck handling skills as Ovechkin it gives fans license to call him a puck hog? :blink:I'm sorry but if you watch the video of Ryders goals, a good portion of the time, the only time he has the puck on his blade is when he's about to put it in the back of the net. That's not a puck hog, that's someone doing what he's paid to do.

That's exactly how we want him to play!!!

Unfortunately we have only video replay of his goals and not too much of everything else.

Guest habinto
That's exactly how we want him to play!!!

Unfortunately we have only video replay of his goals and not too much of everything else.

I don't a replay to know what Ryder brings to the ice!!!

Ryder thinks of shootiong first and second and maybe as a 3rd option he thinks of passing. And I am fine with that. Too many players always try to do the pretty plays and never get a shot off. Ryder shoots and he scores!!! Give me those 30 goals because I love them. I don't care if he is not a complete players. He is not a liability on the ice!! His +- is inflated (like Koivu's) because our D is weak.

PS our D is still weak!!!!!

PSS I am not a basher!!! I see his weaknesses and his strenghts and I like the package!!!! It's a shame Gainey, for whatever reason, was unable to sign him long term. It's a shame the Ryder, for whatever reason did not sign for a long term contract.

Guest rosalie52
However he gets 'em,

they still count as goals;

the point of the play,

is to put between poles;

As a sniper, his aim,

is to shoot in fair game,

and this year, God willing,

he'll do just the same!

GO RYDER GO!

I'm so happy that you're back wit your poems, old-time...!

Archived