The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

73 Michael Ryder 06-07

jl-1

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest habsfan7344
So because Ryder doesn't have the same puck handling skills as Ovechkin it gives fans license to call him a puck hog? :blink: I'm sorry but if you watch the video of Ryders goals, a good portion of the time, the only time he has the puck on his blade is when he's about to put it in the back of the net. That's not a puck hog, that's someone doing what he's paid to do.

I AGREE!!

please listen its easy ovenchkin hogs the puck more then Ryder!!!

And Ryder can score and he can pass and he has some skill!!!!!

Ryder is just doing wat they want him to do they don't tell him to stop!!!! :lol:

Guest old-time Habs fan
But if you don't shoot , you can't score.

He shoots, he'll score, a little more,

than any others, on the fore!

and if he hogs, it's 'cause he grunts,

when he has only to shoot, once!

Good article about Ryder. He says no long term offer was made from either side. Article also says Ryder doesn't get the respect he deserves. I agree totally with that!

We gotta keep Ryder if he even just repeats his season from last year.

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news...8b-f3f5f2b84acd

Much rides on season for Ryder

Habs sniper could cash in next summer

PAT HICKEY, The Gazette

Published: 15 hours ago

When Michael Ryder and the Canadiens agreed on a one-year contract this summer, it touched off speculation the sniper from Newfoundland was entering his final season in Montreal. Ryder is eligible to become an unrestricted free agent in July and the Canadiens could be tempted to unload him at the trading deadline rather than see him ride off into the sunset, à la Sheldon Souray.

But Ryder, who appeared fit when he arrived at the Canadiens' golf tournament Tuesday, refused to speculate on his future. "We'll just have to wait and see what happens," said Ryder, who led the Canadiens with 30 goals in each of the last two seasons. Ryder filed for arbitration this summer, but as was the case in 2006, he reached an agreement with the club before the case reached an arbitrator.

"I was packed and ready to go to Toronto (for the hearing) when I got the word," said Ryder, who will collect $2.95 million U.S., a boost from the $2.1 million he received a year earlier.

Ryder said there was no discussion of a longer-term deal.

"I think both sides were thinking about one year," he said.

While the Habs may have avoided paying a bonus for buying out Ryder's free-agent status, the short-term deal has more advantages for Ryder than for the club. He has played only three seasons in the National Hockey League, but the post-lockout collective agreement allows him to opt for unrestricted free agency because he will be 28 years old.

He will be in a good bargaining position if he can put up the same numbers he has in his first three seasons. Ryder doesn't get the respect he should as a poster boy for the Canadiens' philosophy of developing talent from within the organization. He was drafted 216th overall in 1996 and slogged his way through the minors before his former junior coach, Claude Julien, gave him a chance in 2003.

Julien made it clear Ryder would have to earn his job and he didn't disappoint his mentor. He scored 25 goals and was the runner-up to Boston goalie Andrew Raycroft in the Calder Trophy voting for outstanding rookie. It can be argued that Ryder is a one-dimensional player - he had a minus-25 rating last season - but there's no denying he has a nose for the net.

He scored 17 of his 30 goals last season on the power play and was tied for fourth in the NHL in that category. The only players with more power-play goals last season were Teemu Selanne (25), Souray (19) and Ilya Kovalchuk (18).

If you look at the record for his first three seasons, you'll again find Ryder ranking fourth in power-play goals, with 45. Kovalchuk leads the list with 61, followed by Selanne (49) and Jonathan Cheechoo (47).

Guest habs_fan1160

Could all this animosity towards Ryder have to do with the fact that he's not a French born player? Because really, all there is, is support for Lat's and he had a far less productive season than Ryder did.

Ryder said there was no discussion of a longer-term deal.

"I think both sides were thinking about one year," he said.

That alone tells me that Ryder won't be with us next year, unfortunately. Prediction? He'll sign as a UFA with Boston to play under Julien! :mellow:

Guest leafsreallysuck
Could all this animosity towards Ryder have to do with the fact that he's not a French born player? Because really, all there is, is support for Lat's and he had a far less productive season than Ryder did.

I think the French thing is being stressed way to much and it's getting annoying frankly. A lot of you are just making it sound like we're a bunch of bigots. :rolleyes:

Go see the thread on Latendresse, there's some bashing going on there too

What about the Kovalev thread....

What about Bouillon and Dandenault there getting bashed also.....

As anyone cried here that the Anglophones were the ones booing Brisebois to drive him out a here.

People grow up and if you haven't lived in Montréal and had a bunch of French acquaintances or friends, how can you pass a judgment like this?

That alone tells me that Ryder won't be with us next year, unfortunately. Prediction? He'll sign as a UFA with Boston to play under Julien! :mellow:

I tend to agree that he's gone after this year

Question is, will Julien still be coaching the Bruins next year :P

And some " prospect " better step up to the plate and repalce those 25 to 30 goals........FAST !

I think the French thing is being stressed way to much and it's getting annoying frankly. A lot of you are just making it sound like we're a bunch of bigots. :rolleyes:

As anyone cried here that the Anglophones were the ones booing Brisebois to drive him out a here.

People grow up and if you haven't lived in Montréal and had a bunch of French acquaintances or friends, how can you pass a judgment like this?

I've lived in Sherbrooke for 25 years and I can tell you that for some, mostly media driven, it is a factor. Not for most of the population, but there are some that are totally influenced by the Ron Fournier, Rejean Tremblay, Yvon Pedneault, Michel Bergeron or Bertrand Raymond of this world!

Guest mrlosims
I tend to agree that he's gone after this year

Question is, will Julien still be coaching the Bruins next year :P

And some " prospect " better step up to the plate and repalce those 25 to 30 goals........FAST !

Higgs can surely do it, and if we give a chance to the Kid Line, they'll likely reach this goal.

Higgins, Latendresse and even Plekanec can do it.

Guest gottaHABit

There's one person who truly understands Ryder's value. I think your prediction is a very real possibility.

Guest habsfan7344

I really think that Ryder is ganna sign a long contract with the habs during the UFA cause i mean Ryder is such a great player u guys just thinking about where his going instead of saying he should stay in montreal or Bob should sign him big!!! i really really like Ryder and i think he is ganna stay on Montreal and make the canadiens proud!!!

COMMON WE GOT THE BEST PLAYER FROM NEWFOUNDLAND!!!!!! :D:D:lol:;)

Guest habinto
I like Ryder too, he is after all the only goal scorer the team has but I belive he is gannna be an UFA and he's gannna sign wthsome else , not Montreal . :P

So was that a Nike crystal ball or a RBK crystal ball that gave you this fact. Ho! and based on your crystal ball we should trade this guy.

PS my Sherwood crystal ball is a little foggy but being a skeptic person my crystal ball agrees with your crystal ball. But this is just a assumption and a gut feel.

Guest old-time Habs fan
There's one person who truly understands Ryder's value. I think your prediction is a very real possibility.

The force is with us, for how long?

are we about to get his sad, swan-song?

sad, I say, because he adds,

a scoring punch, for all the lads!

The force is with us, for how long?

are we about to get his sad, swan-song?

sad, I say, because he adds,

a scoring punch, for all the lads!

Now you're adding Star Wars material to your poems. Brilliant. :lol::)

In any case, I sure hope this isn't Ryder's swan-song with the team. On the other hand, I don't want us throwing insane money at him. I still wouldn't pay him more than $3.5 million per year.

Guest habs_fan1160

It's not a judgement, it's an observation. And it's not even so much the fans, as it is the media.

Sure there is some bashing on the Lat's thread, but it's not 10 pages of how he's a puck hog, how we should trade him and how he's not putting up the numbers we wanted him too.

If someone were to post in the Lat's thread "Man, Lats had a bad season last year, he doesn't pass, he's not very consistant and he's not putting up good numbers," they'd hear about it.

But in the Ryder thread, there's maybe three people supporting him, which is sad because he's one of the best we have on the team.

We have already established the media doesn't like Koivu because he's not a French captain, that's been discussed here numerous times.

I don't have anything against the French, in fact, I have a lot of friends that are from Quebec, some of which, believe they team should be more French and some of which think the team is fine the way it is.

So it all boils down to where you stand on the issue.

I'm not assuming it's "all French" people that dislike Ryder, because that would be close-minded, but there are definately a good group out there who may not like him based on his birth place.

I had a conversation with my friends dad who lives in Montreal who said they need to get rid of Ryder and Koivu and bring in a couple of French snipers, but he's also the extreme and doesn't enjoy Carey Price.

But you do have to admit, it's easier to be an underacheiving French player on the team than an underachieving non-French player on the team.

For me, I'm not French, but 95 per cent of my favourite hockey players are of French decent, so I don't have a problem with the French players and I love to see them on the Habs, but I think just Ryder is receiving some unfair pressure that he really doesn't deserve.

In any case, I sure hope this isn't Ryder's swan-song with the team. On the other hand, I don't want us throwing insane money at him. I still wouldn't pay him more than $3.5 million per year.

but you have no problem throwing 4.5 for kovy,and 5.3 for hamrlik?..he won't sign for under 4.5$m/4 yrs,so we can say bye-bye to our 2 leading scorers from last year.Not to bright for this poor offensive team.And please don't go with "if our prospects can pick up the slack".because that's a big if

Guest habinto
We have already established the media doesn't like Koivu because he's not a French captain, that's been discussed here numerous times.

When was that estblished? They may prefer a French captain but it does not mean they don't "like" Koivu. My observation is that statements like the one you are making are from an outsider looking in.

Guest old-time Habs fan

Brilliance is, as brilliance finds,

from better minds, than mine, it blinds.

but you have no problem throwing 4.5 for kovy,and 5.3 for hamrlik?..he won't sign for under 4.5$m/4 yrs,so we can say bye-bye to our 2 leading scorers from last year.Not to bright for this poor offensive team.And please don't go with "if our prospects can pick up the slack".because that's a big if

Hamrlik: I don't like overpaying for him, but that was the market for D-men and we desperately needed someone to fill Souray's shoes

Kovalev: Kovalev in his 05-06 form putting up 65 points in 69 games is a STEAL at $4.5 million in today's market.

As for Ryder, I suppose I could live with $4 million for a three-year deal, but I'm just afraid that we'll run out of cap space re-signing the same players with whom we haven't gone anywhere for the past few years. But everything depends on the season Ryder has, and, though it may infuriate you, whether or not our prospects can pick up the slack. :P

Guest habinto
Hamrlik: I don't like overpaying for him, but that was the market for D-men and we desperately needed someone to fill Souray's shoes

Kovalev: Kovalev in his 05-06 form putting up 65 points in 69 games is a STEAL at $4.5 million in today's market.

As for Ryder, I suppose I could live with $4 million for a three-year deal, but I'm just afraid that we'll run out of cap space re-signing the same players with whom we haven't gone anywhere for the past few years. But everything depends on the season Ryder has, and, though it may infuriate you, whether or not our prospects can pick up the slack. :P

If we run out of space and can't afford a key player then another player needs to be moved.

Archived