The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

73 Michael Ryder 06-07

jl-1

If we run out of space and can't afford a key player then another player needs to be moved.

Weep is right though-It completely does depend on the season Ryder has. If Ryder tallies career number (40-45 goals; 70-75 points) then yes we should move a more inflated salary to resign him....somewhere around the deadline. However if he tanks in his contract year, we may be forced to go with a young gun for offence.

As much as I like Ryder, it all comes down to what's best for the team. It will all come down to a hockey/business based decision. I think there's room for Ryder long term (I really can't picture anywhere else) but with so many people waiting in the wings (no pun intended) Ryder and several other veterans are really going to have to produce this year; more so than the have any other year. Because of last seasons finish ALL spots are up for grabs...even veteran ones.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest habinto
Weep is right though-It completely does depend on the season Ryder has. If Ryder tallies career number (40-45 goals; 70-75 points) then yes we should move a more inflated salary to resign him....somewhere around the deadline. However if he tanks in his contract year, we may be forced to go with a young gun for offence.

As much as I like Ryder, it all comes down to what's best for the team. It will all come down to a hockey/business based decision. I think there's room for Ryder long term (I really can't picture anywhere else) but with so many people waiting in the wings (no pun intended) Ryder and several other veterans are really going to have to produce this year; more so than the have any other year. Because of last seasons finish ALL spots are up for grabs...even veteran ones.

I do not know why Ryder was signed to a one year deal. Was it Gainey's decision or Ryder's? All I know (perceive I guess) is that it would have been better for the organization to lock him up for 3 or 4 years for $3.5 to $4MM/yr. Waiting till he is UFA is too late - missed the boat! Buy Buy Ryder.

I do not know why Ryder was signed to a one year deal. Was it Gainey's decision or Ryder's? All I know (perceive I guess) is that it would have been better for the organization to lock him up for 3 or 4 years for $3.5 to $4MM/yr. Waiting till he is UFA is too late - missed the boat! Buy Buy Ryder.

I wouldn't see him off at Trudeau Airport just yet. A lot can happen in a year so you just never know.

Guest habs_fan1160
When was that estblished? They may prefer a French captain but it does not mean they don't "like" Koivu. My observation is that statements like the one you are making are from an outsider looking in.

I'm actually not. It's been discussed here in the forums several times regarding Captain K and his ability to be a non-French captain. They do everything they can to talk trash on him or make him appear worse than he is.

But that's for another thread. This is the Ryder thread.

Guest gottaHABit
When was that estblished? They may prefer a French captain but it does not mean they don't "like" Koivu. My observation is that statements like the one you are making are from an outsider looking in.

Outsider looking in? You don't have to an "insider" to recognize the obvious Francophone bias of some Quebec born Habs fans.

Guest habs_fan1160
Outsider looking in? You don't have to an "insider" to recognize the obvious Francophone bias of some Quebec born Habs fans.

Thank you. I'm not being bias in anyway, just stating what others have said here too, that includes people from both French or English decent.

But that's really not the issue.

The thread is about Ryder and I can't help but to wonder if things would be easier on him as a player if he was from Quebec.

The expectations of Ryder are so high, more so than he is capable of achieving.

But with Lat's he under performed last season compared to what he was expecting to produce in points and yet people turn their heads and point out his assets rather than flaws.

Now I'm not getting into a Ryder vs. Lat's debate, because that'd be stupid. But both had season that were under what was expected of them.

I notice in the Lat's thread there are tons of positive things said about him and in the Ryder thread it's page after page of bashing this guy.

Sure he didn't have the greatest season, but he has a lot of assets and there are a lot of positive points about Ryder too. I just don't understand why some people have the need to run this guy down post after post, he's the higher end of talent on our team.

Guest habs_fan1160
When Ryder helps us win a cup no one will be complaining about him, or any other player, not being french.

Very true...at that point I don't think it would matter.

Guest habinto
Thank you. I'm not being bias in anyway, just stating what others have said here too, that includes people from both French or English decent.

But that's really not the issue.

The thread is about Ryder and I can't help but to wonder if things would be easier on him as a player if he was from Quebec.

The expectations of Ryder are so high, more so than he is capable of achieving.

But with Lat's he under performed last season compared to what he was expecting to produce in points and yet people turn their heads and point out his assets rather than flaws.

Now I'm not getting into a Ryder vs. Lat's debate, because that'd be stupid. But both had season that were under what was expected of them.

I notice in the Lat's thread there are tons of positive things said about him and in the Ryder thread it's page after page of bashing this guy.

Sure he didn't have the greatest season, but he has a lot of assets and there are a lot of positive points about Ryder too. I just don't understand why some people have the need to run this guy down post after post, he's the higher end of talent on our team.

Comparing a proven 30 goal scorer to a prospect with potential?? I understand why people are excited with Lats. I do not understand why there are so many Ryder bashers. Are you saying that this is caused by French fans?

Hamrlik: I don't like overpaying for him, but that was the market for D-men and we desperately needed someone to fill Souray's shoes

Kovalev: Kovalev in his 05-06 form putting up 65 points in 69 games is a STEAL at $4.5 million in today's market.

As for Ryder, I suppose I could live with $4 million for a three-year deal, but I'm just afraid that we'll run out of cap space re-signing the same players with whom we haven't gone anywhere for the past few years. But everything depends on the season Ryder has, and, though it may infuriate you, whether or not our prospects can pick up the slack. :P

This is an example of the anti-ryder bias,even by a mod.Kovy is a steal w/65 pts @4.5 m$..ryder isn't worth more than 3.5m$ w/30 goals and around 60 pts...and 6 yrs younger..

This is an example of the anti-ryder bias,even by a mod.Kovy is a steal w/65 pts @4.5 m$..ryder isn't worth more than 3.5m$ w/30 goals and around 60 pts...and 6 yrs younger..

Careful with the accusations... Leave the personal comments out next time.

I think what he meant was 4.5 million for being a couple points under a PPG is a steal, and i would have to agree. Although I wouldn't have a problem with a 4 million dollar salary for Ryder, if he continues to improve and remain a consistent 30 goal scorer.

Guest habs_fan1160
Comparing a proven 30 goal scorer to a prospect with potential?? I understand why people are excited with Lats. I do not understand why there are so many Ryder bashers. Are you saying that this is caused by French fans?

It's not caused by the French fans, it's caused by the French media trying to make these guys that play for us into something their not. They set such high unrealistic ideals of these players and when they don't hit those high standards they come down on them, and in most cases they come down a lot harder on the non-French players than the French ones.

I mean come on, you'd have to be blind not to see it. How many times has the media in Quebec tried to make Koivu look like an idoit because he couldn't speak French?

I'm sure there are some French fans out there that would be a little more understanding towards Ryder's expectations if he was French, however, it's not all fans, and probalby not even a huge percentage of them.

It's mainly the media.

Guest habfan in leafland
I'm not assuming it's "all French" people that dislike Ryder, because that would be close-minded, but there are definately a good group out there who may not like him based on his birth place.

I disagree... birthplace has absolutely nothing to do with most people's reasons for not being a huge fan of Ryder!

If anything it's good to have him around, you get to tell Newfie jokes! (Just kidding) :lol:

It's not caused by the French fans, it's caused by the French media trying to make these guys that play for us into something their not. They set such high unrealistic ideals of these players and when they don't hit those high standards they come down on them, and in most cases they come down a lot harder on the non-French players than the French ones.

I mean come on, you'd have to be blind not to see it. How many times has the media in Quebec tried to make Koivu look like an idoit because he couldn't speak French?

I'm sure there are some French fans out there that would be a little more understanding towards Ryder's expectations if he was French, however, it's not all fans, and probalby not even a huge percentage of them.

It's mainly the media.

You blow this stuff way out of proportion.

It's mainly the media.

I understand what you're saying...And even up until a year ago I'd agree with you. There is definitely a contingent (not just in the media, but in general) who place too much precidence on where a player is from. But I believe it is a contingent that is a small minority in comparison to those who just love the team regardless of where the teammates were born and raised. The only thing you can do about people like them (The extremists I guess you could call them) is feel sad for them. It is there loss that they are incapable of seeing past one's background to appreciate what they bring to this team.

You blow this stuff way out of proportion.

With regard to specific (and vocal) elements of the French media, I don't think anything is being blown out of proportion. It's a reality that certain extremist elements of the French media take every opportunity they can to attack players who are not French-Canadian. Remember, these are the same people who accused Saku Koivu of 'speaking white', i.e. speaking the language of the 'colonizers', ergo English.

I think 95% of the population is level-headed enough to see that a great player is a great player, regardless of where he comes from or what language he speaks. But it's the squeaky wheels that get the grease, unfortunately.

Guest Greek Hab

I think before every(or any) player comes to play for Montreal, they should mention that they have some sort of French/Quebec ancestry in their family tree...that way we don't have to go through this crap.

As idiotic as my plan sounds...what's more stupid...My idea, or bashing a player because he's not French? O snap French Media!!!

With regard to specific (and vocal) elements of the French media, I don't think anything is being blown out of proportion. It's a reality that certain extremist elements of the French media take every opportunity they can to attack players who are not French-Canadian. Remember, these are the same people who accused Saku Koivu of 'speaking white', i.e. speaking the language of the 'colonizers', ergo English.

I think 95% of the population is level-headed enough to see that a great player is a great player, regardless of where he comes from or what language he speaks. But it's the squeaky wheels that get the grease, unfortunately.

By saying that there are only a few squeaky wheels are you saying that there are only a few media individuals that are the problem or are you saying it is a general problem in Mtl? Not clear if you are agreeing with me or the other poster

By saying that there are only a few squeaky wheels are you saying that there are only a few media individuals that are the problem or are you saying it is a general problem in Mtl? Not clear if you are agreeing with me or the other poster

I'm saying that a handful of journalists with agendas are creating the ruckus and influencing perception of certain players in Montreal. Sometimes it's not subtle, but often it is. For example, the public will get the impression that Koivu isn't a good captain or a team player because all these stories conveniently surface right before training camp. So no one's coming out and saying Koivu should go, but someone is definitely making sure that Koivu gets as much negative press as possible, by any means necessary, even when the 'evidence' is just hearsay, fabrication, and innuendo.

In any case, I'm off-topic. Back to Ryder. I'm curious to see how he performs in a contract year. This is his chance to make a splash in the UFA market, but in order to do that, he has to erase that -25 and be consistently productive.

I'm saying that a handful of journalists with agendas are creating the ruckus and influencing perception of certain players in Montreal. Sometimes it's not subtle, but often it is. For example, the public will get the impression that Koivu isn't a good captain or a team player because all these stories conveniently surface right before training camp. So no one's coming out and saying Koivu should go, but someone is definitely making sure that Koivu gets as much negative press as possible, by any means necessary, even when the 'evidence' is just hearsay, fabrication, and innuendo.

In any case, I'm off-topic. Back to Ryder. I'm curious to see how he performs in a contract year. This is his chance to make a splash in the UFA market, but in order to do that, he has to erase that -25 and be consistently productive.

So my take is that people are blowing things out of proportion!! But hey! I could be wrong.

As for Ryder I love what he brings to this team. SHOOOOOTTTT the puck!

Alright guys, he's not the perfect player. Nobody is perfect and everyone has their flaws. We don't need anyone to point them out and it won't make him any better or worse if you do. So how about we discuss why we love him instead of discussing something we already know; that he isn't perfect. And if you want to continue to point out what is already obvious to us, in my opinion you are just spamming the forum.

Guest habs_fan1160
So my take is that people are blowing things out of proportion!! But hey! I could be wrong.

As for Ryder I love what he brings to this team. SHOOOOOTTTT the puck!

It's not us blowing things out of proportion, we're just talking about the media and they definately blow things out of proportion.

Archived