The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

73 Michael Ryder 06-07

jl-1

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest habfan in leafland
OK-with all due respect to all Habs fans from "The Rock"...Fog Devils suck, SeaDogs Rule by the way ;) But since when are people from the rock offended by being called Newfies? Just curious more than anything.

I know quite a few Newfs and i've never EVER seen one of them offended over anything! :D

Guest canadaman
OK-with all due respect to all Habs fans from "The Rock"...Fog Devils suck, SeaDogs Rule by the way ;)But since when are people from the rock offended by being called Newfies? Just curious more than anything.

Since American servicemen, stationed here in World War II, created it as a derogatory term.

Since American servicemen, stationed here in World War II, created it as a derogatory term.

Wow-I was unaware. You'd think they'd be over something someone said to them all the way back in WW 2.

Anyway back to Ryder...I still think MTL can resign him to another deal before he becomes a UFa. They avoided arbitration twice with this guy; who knows...maybe they can avoid free agency too.

Guest Habsfan_11

Ryder was nearly invisible yesterday. Not a good game for him at all. Maybe he just has no interest in the pre-season, trying to avoid early injury? *shrugs*

Beauregard outplayed him badly IMO.

not his best game, but I am not worried.

Just an exibiton game!!! Let's hold off the trades and the tar/feather thing a ma jig. I may be wrong but these games are for the players to get back into game shape/timing. What did people expected from Ryder, or any other players.

I heard there was booing at the keg? Is that retarded or what? It's the fans (some bad apples) and the media some bad apples) that are psycho in Mtl!!

I can't get the article as it wasn't online but a local paper here mentioned that Ryder played the past two seasons with a herniated disk in his neck and that may have played a part in the one year deal, and Ryder said he should have rested but decided to play as he did, and that he feels better now. Wish I could find the article.

I apologize if someone has already posted this article.

tel.jpg

Michael Ryder knows as well as anyone how important the upcoming NHL season is for his career.

Signed to a one-year contract by the Montreal Canadiens over the summer, Ryder is one season away from becoming an unrestricted free agent and with a big 2007-08 campaign, he could be in line for a huge pay hike next summer.

However, just because he may only be nine months away from the biggest contract of his career, don't expect Ryder to put extra pressure on himself this year.

After all, this is familiar territory for a guy who had to work his way up from the ECHL.

"It seems like every year I'm playing on a one-year deal", Ryder said with a laugh.

"I just look at it the same way I've looked at every other year. I justhave to keep working hard and try to improve every year"

Speaking over the telephone from Montreal this week, Ryder sounded genuinely enthused about the upcoming season. The biggest reason is he's feeling better physically than he has since the end of the NHL lock-out in 2005.

Ryder suffered from a herniated disk in his neck in each of the past two seasons, often limiting his strength and causing pain and discomfort each and every time he stepped on the ice while affecting the way the Bonavista native worked out off the ice. Despite the injury, Ryder missed only one game the past two years and managed 30 goals both seasons.

"I don't lift as much heavy weights as I used to", Ryder said. "I hurt my neck two years ago, I have no idea what I did to it or when it happened. But I'm only now starting to feel 100 per cent. I've lost alot of muscle on my left side. At the end of the (2005-06) season, I couldn't even do one push-up - I felt pretty good last year but I was still trying to recover. I had neck pains all last year."

The injury, which didn't require surgery, is almost completely healed. As a result he was able to work out harder this off season, a factor that Ryder says will make him a more effective player this year.

"I definitely feel alot better. I've lost a bit of weight and feel alot quicker on the ice", Ryder said. "Looking back on it, I don't know if I'd do it again (play through pain), I'd probably take better care of it, get it looked at sooner."

One has to wonder if the neck injury is one reason the Canadiens appear reluctant to give Ryder a long-term contract. Despite the fact Ryder has led the Habs in goals in each of the past three NHL seasons, he was again only offered a one year deal by the team this year. The contract has sparked much debate about how much longer Ryder will remain with the Canadiens, with several Montreal media outlets predicting he will be traded late in the 07-08 campaign.

However, Ryder said the one year deal was a smuch his idea as it was the Canadiens. Although he did not say he was looking forward to becoming an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season, it appears he is fully aware that another 30 goal season could lead to a hefty pay increase, either in Montreal or another NHL city.

"We talked and we both just thought a one-year deal was the best thing for both sides", Ryder said.

With his neck feeling fine and the potential of a major pay cheque in the future, Ryder appears poised for a big season. Considering he scored 30 goals while playing hurt, it's entirely possible Ryder could bang home 35-40 goals now that he's healthy. However, the 27 yr old wouldn't predict how many times he'd light the lamp this year, instead saying his main goal is to become a less streaky player than he has been in the past.

"In the past I've had trouble being consistent, so I just want to make sure I'm more consistent this year, that's the big thing", Ryder said.

When it comes to the Canadiens chances of making the playoffs, Ryder is equally optimistic. He acknowledges the loss of powerplay quarterback Sheldon Souray is a majopr blow, but added the team has several talented, young players on the way up who will make the team stronger. Among the young players to watch, according to Ryder, are Guilliame Latendresse and Maxim Lapierre, young forwards who showed a lot of promise as rookies last season.

"Last year was the year for them to get their bearings. I talked to (Latendresse) the other day and he said he feels really good. Obviously, he has the potential to be a really good player," said Ryder. "Everyone knows about Souray's shot and he was a big factor on the powerplay. But it's the way the game is. We lost players, but we picked up some good players too"

While Ryder wasn't ready to predict where the Canadiens would finish in the Eastern Conference, he didn't hesitate to say the team is good enough to qualify for a post-seaon berth.

"I never thought of where we'd finish, I just think about making the playoffs. We definitely have a good young team and I know we can make the playoffs," said Ryder.

ok, ryder seemed uninterested. which is okay because we all know that when the cards are on the table mike will show up (last game vs toronto)

i really dont want to take anything away from mike for that game, because the fact is he is on the scoresheet for 3g in the biggest game of the year, but i've read things like this a lot and i have to say that was the softest hat trick in the world, ryder really should have taken raycroft out for dinner after that game. im not saying he didnt try in that game, but it wasnt like he came out like maurice richard and went on a rampage, he just had a normal game where 3 routine shots on net went in. i dont look at that as any kind of evidence of ryders ability to be clutch. hes had way better games where he didnt even score, or just had 1 or 2, or a nice assist or something. that leaf game he was just having a lucky night.

Guest habs_fan1160

Ryder seemed very uniterested in playing last night. He gave little to no effort and was skated around by everyone out there.

Not sure why, but our first line looked like crap last night.

The Hamilton Bulldogs (pretty much), can beat a stacked Crosby and his Penguins, but our Habs can't beat the no-names from the Pens?

What's wrong with this picture?

Guest gottaHABit
i really dont want to take anything away from mike for that game, because the fact is he is on the scoresheet for 3g in the biggest game of the year, but i've read things like this a lot and i have to say that was the softest hat trick in the world, ryder really should have taken raycroft out for dinner after that game. im not saying he didnt try in that game, but it wasnt like he came out like maurice richard and went on a rampage, he just had a normal game where 3 routine shots on net went in. i dont look at that as any kind of evidence of ryders ability to be clutch. hes had way better games where he didnt even score, or just had 1 or 2, or a nice assist or something. that leaf game he was just having a lucky night.

You should probably have another look at the replays for those goals. The first goal was a pretty effective use of a defenseman as a screen, on the second one he buried his own rebound, and the third one he again buried his own rebound by taking it around the net and hammering away until it crossed the crease. The guy scored a natural hat-trick to get us back in the game, and although it might not have been the prettiest hat trick ever they were hardly routine shots. In that game it was the definition of clutch.

Ryder seemed very uniterested in playing last night. He gave little to no effort and was skated around by everyone out there.

Not sure why, but our first line looked like crap last night.

The Hamilton Bulldogs (pretty much), can beat a stacked Crosby and his Penguins, but our Habs can't beat the no-names from the Pens?

What's wrong with this picture?

Well, our Bulldogs may have beaten their starting lineup, but only with the help of veterans such as Kovalev, Markov, Komisarek, and Streit who all played great games. Whereas last night, the veterans just seemed listless and uninterested, except maybe for Smolinski.

In any case, Ryder will come through. I am completely confident in his ability in important situations. One bad preseason game does not a whole year make. :)

Guest gottaHABit
Well, our Bulldogs may have beaten their starting lineup, but only with the help of veterans such as Kovalev, Markov, Komisarek, and Streit who all played great games. Whereas last night, the veterans just seemed listless and uninterested, except maybe for Smolinski.

In any case, Ryder will come through. I am completely confident in his ability in important situations. One bad preseason game does not a whole year make. :)

We already know what our stars can do, the pre-season is more about getting a look at our hopefuls.

Guest habs_fan1160

I thought Smolinski was the high light of the game last night, he was pretty good ot there.

I know one preseason game doesn't make a whole year, it was just disappointing that after a five month wait to see them again, they came out with little heart, passion or determination.

We already know what our stars can do, the pre-season is more about getting a look at our hopefuls.

Agreed, but our hopefuls look a lot better when our veterans are playing with passion beside them, which is why we won Monday's game and lost Tuesday's game.

I thought Smolinski was the high light of the game last night, he was pretty good ot there.

I know one preseason game doesn't make a whole year, it was just disappointing that after a five month wait to see them again, they came out with little heart, passion or determination.

Mildly disappointing to me too, but hey, there is a LOT of hockey yet to be played this season. :) I'm not worried.

In any case, I'm starting to wonder on which line Ryder will end up. Do we keep him with Koivu or see if a second-line spot would increase his productivity?

Guest 1970 Habs

tel.jpg

Michael Ryder knows as well as anyone how important the upcoming NHL season is for his career.

Signed to a one-year contract by the Montreal Canadiens over the summer, Ryder is one season away from becoming an unrestricted free agent and with a big 2007-08 campaign, he could be in line for a huge pay hike next summer.

However, just because he may only be nine months away from the biggest contract of his career, don't expect Ryder to put extra pressure on himself this year.

After all, this is familiar territory for a guy who had to work his way up from the ECHL.

"It seems like every year I'm playing on a one-year deal", Ryder said with a laugh.

"I just look at it the same way I've looked at every other year. I justhave to keep working hard and try to improve every year"

Speaking over the telephone from Montreal this week, Ryder sounded genuinely enthused about the upcoming season. The biggest reason is he's feeling better physically than he has since the end of the NHL lock-out in 2005.

Ryder suffered from a herniated disk in his neck in each of the past two seasons, often limiting his strength and causing pain and discomfort each and every time he stepped on the ice while affecting the way the Bonavista native worked out off the ice. Despite the injury, Ryder missed only one game the past two years and managed 30 goals both seasons.

"I don't lift as much heavy weights as I used to", Ryder said. "I hurt my neck two years ago, I have no idea what I did to it or when it happened. But I'm only now starting to feel 100 per cent. I've lost alot of muscle on my left side. At the end of the (2005-06) season, I couldn't even do one push-up - I felt pretty good last year but I was still trying to recover. I had neck pains all last year."

The injury, which didn't require surgery, is almost completely healed. As a result he was able to work out harder this off season, a factor that Ryder says will make him a more effective player this year.

"I definitely feel alot better. I've lost a bit of weight and feel alot quicker on the ice", Ryder said. "Looking back on it, I don't know if I'd do it again (play through pain), I'd probably take better care of it, get it looked at sooner."

One has to wonder if the neck injury is one reason the Canadiens appear reluctant to give Ryder a long-term contract. Despite the fact Ryder has led the Habs in goals in each of the past three NHL seasons, he was again only offered a one year deal by the team this year. The contract has sparked much debate about how much longer Ryder will remain with the Canadiens, with several Montreal media outlets predicting he will be traded late in the 07-08 campaign.

However, Ryder said the one year deal was a smuch his idea as it was the Canadiens. Although he did not say he was looking forward to becoming an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season, it appears he is fully aware that another 30 goal season could lead to a hefty pay increase, either in Montreal or another NHL city.

"We talked and we both just thought a one-year deal was the best thing for both sides", Ryder said.

With his neck feeling fine and the potential of a major pay cheque in the future, Ryder appears poised for a big season. Considering he scored 30 goals while playing hurt, it's entirely possible Ryder could bang home 35-40 goals now that he's healthy. However, the 27 yr old wouldn't predict how many times he'd light the lamp this year, instead saying his main goal is to become a less streaky player than he has been in the past.

"In the past I've had trouble being consistent, so I just want to make sure I'm more consistent this year, that's the big thing", Ryder said.

When it comes to the Canadiens chances of making the playoffs, Ryder is equally optimistic. He acknowledges the loss of powerplay quarterback Sheldon Souray is a majopr blow, but added the team has several talented, young players on the way up who will make the team stronger. Among the young players to watch, according to Ryder, are Guilliame Latendresse and Maxim Lapierre, young forwards who showed a lot of promise as rookies last season.

"Last year was the year for them to get their bearings. I talked to (Latendresse) the other day and he said he feels really good. Obviously, he has the potential to be a really good player," said Ryder. "Everyone knows about Souray's shot and he was a big factor on the powerplay. But it's the way the game is. We lost players, but we picked up some good players too"

While Ryder wasn't ready to predict where the Canadiens would finish in the Eastern Conference, he didn't hesitate to say the team is good enough to qualify for a post-seaon berth.

"I never thought of where we'd finish, I just think about making the playoffs. We definitely have a good young team and I know we can make the playoffs," said Ryder.

Nice read. Thanks. My uncle had herniated discs and it is not something I would wish on anyone. Extremely painful and hard to work through as sometimes it is deabilitating.

It says a lot about Ryder playing that way. Hopefully some people on this Forum will revise their opinion of him.

tel.jpg

Thanks for the article. Although you included the logo, please always include the link where the article comes from for copyrights purposes, as the logo link can be broken at any time.

What can be said about Ryder,

I hope he keeps his shot up, as its all he has really..

I dont know he doesnt excite me..

Higgins, Koivu, Kostysin, Kovalev, smolinski, Markov,

Ryder i dont know, nothing exctiting about him

Guest Miltie01
What can be said about Ryder,

I hope he keeps his shot up, as its all he has really..

I dont know he doesnt excite me..

Higgins, Koivu, Kostysin, Kovalev, smolinski, Markov,

Ryder i dont know, nothing exctiting about him

I wish we had a few more guys the were not exciting.

He may not be a thrill a minute, but he scores 30 goals a year........something those mentioned above didn't.

Sure but when he was on the ice, the opposing team scored 30 goals? What was his +- -29 or something horrible, near the bottom in the nhl if i remember correctly,

He has a accurate quick release shot..

not the best stickhandler, not the best hitter, not the quickest, not the hardest shot, doesnt work the hardest,

Kind of reminds me of a feild goal kicker ?

Archived