The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

73 Michael Ryder 06-07

jl-1

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:shock: :shock:

Handlanger, you are a true Habs fan and a noble man to thus have the guts to admit Ryder is no longer worthy of your mockery, and to revise your opinion of him.

I was waiting for you to reappear and "wondered" why so many Ryder-bashers were staying away now that he was proving them wrong!:cool:

At least *you* came back and are happy that Ryder and the team are doing well.

Now if you want to join the unofficial Ryder Fan club (ryderfan club?), don't be shy!:D

Guest Handlanger
:shock: :shock:  

Handlanger, you are a true Habs fan and a noble man to thus have the guts to admit Ryder is no longer worthy of your mockery, and to revise your opinion of him.

I was waiting for you to reappear and "wondered" why so many Ryder-bashers were staying away now that he was proving them wrong!:cool:  

At least *you* came back and are happy that Ryder and the team are doing well.

Now if you want to join the unofficial Ryder Fan club (ryderfan club?), don't be shy!:D

Well, even I can be wrong... sometimes ;-) he he he

No honestly, the weaknesses I hated on him are gone from what I saw so far, you have to admit, that's true. He improved in those. But hey, hands down.... it's not yet that far that I'm joining his fan club... ;-)

Let's make a deal, if he gets a 80 points season, I'll subscribe. :-)

Guest CanadianMike

The ONLY problem I ever had with Ryder was his speed/skating or lack of it. I knew once he came to camp 12 Lbs lighter he would SHINE...and he is doing just that.

It is awesome to watch him this season (esp. along side HIGGINS) :D

Guest jfk0202

I can't get over how fast Ryder is now. He must have really worked on it. Did anyone see him fly by that calgary D like he was a bright shiny pilon...wow. I have to say I used to quietly bash him fr his lack of skating and puck skill last year but I will be the first to eat my shorts...unreal. Ryder and Higgins are playing amazing.......

I can't get over how fast Ryder is now.  He must have really worked on it.  Did anyone see him fly by that calgary D like he was a bright shiny pilon...wow.  I have to say I used to quietly bash him fr his lack of skating and puck skill last year but I will be the first to eat my shorts...unreal.   Ryder and Higgins are playing amazing.......

I was like wow that was Ryder! If he hadn't lost control that goal could have been to TSN HON!

Guest habs_fan1160

He's gotten a lot faster, I'd like to see him scoring a bit more and assisting a bit more though.

Hopefully this will come as the season get's deeper.

He's gotten a lot faster, I'd like to see him scoring a bit more and assisting a bit more though.

Hopefully this will come as the season get's deeper.

If Ryder keeps playing the way he is, I think we will see less scoring and assists. Ryder has taken on a less offensive but more defensive role - he is giving a lot of hits, and although this may free up Higgins and Koivu to score, we may not see Ryder being rewarded with points. I, however, don't think this is a bad thing as it makes him a more complete player, and I hope people won't come here complaining about his reduced goal production if that happens. As you can see, his shot total is way down - the Ryder that everyone was complaining shot too much is now shooting too little. And, if the Habs keep taking penalties the way they have, Ryder's ice time will be limited - again, that gives him less opportunity to figure in the points department. But, even with fewer points, I think there is a lot less to complain about this year in Ryder's play.

Guest LesCanadiensxo
If Ryder keeps playing the way he is, I think we will see less scoring and assists.  Ryder has taken on a less offensive but more defensive role - he is giving a lot of hits, and although this may free up Higgins and Koivu to score, we may not see Ryder being rewarded with points.  I, however, don't think this is a bad thing as it makes him a more complete player, and I hope people won't come here complaining about his reduced goal production if that happens.  As you can see, his shot total is way down - the Ryder that everyone was complaining shot too much is now shooting too little.  And, if the Habs keep taking penalties the way they have, Ryder's ice time will be limited - again, that gives him less opportunity to figure in the points department.  But, even with fewer points, I think there is a lot less to complain about this year in Ryder's play.

Agreed :D

There isn't anything much to complain about Ryder.

I'm impressed by his play as well although the odd times he tries a shot that I would rather see turned into a pass or dump but that's just something I have to get used to with him I guess.

I though he needed to work on other aspects of his game and I voiced my opinion on that throughout the off-season and so far he's done just that. He's more involved out there.

Guest banker002
If Ryder keeps playing the way he is, I think we will see less scoring and assists.  Ryder has taken on a less offensive but more defensive role - he is giving a lot of hits, and although this may free up Higgins and Koivu to score, we may not see Ryder being rewarded with points.  I, however, don't think this is a bad thing as it makes him a more complete player, and I hope people won't come here complaining about his reduced goal production if that happens.  As you can see, his shot total is way down - the Ryder that everyone was complaining shot too much is now shooting too little.  And, if the Habs keep taking penalties the way they have, Ryder's ice time will be limited - again, that gives him less opportunity to figure in the points department.  But, even with fewer points, I think there is a lot less to complain about this year in Ryder's play.

excellent points....he has to keep shooting though - he has an absolute rocket....

also - i wish there were not so many habs penalities as it adversely effects his ice time--- thus his scoring opportunities.....still - he has 4 points in 6 games..not bad - especially given his ice time..he was getting around 19 minutes a game with julien

I hope those Ryder bashers will be unemployed but then, of course, so will I. It has been hard work defending him. Maybe now I will have to see that he gets the credit he deserves - I must be working as hard as his agent for getting him recognition.

Just take a look at his stats to date. Six games, only 9 shots - most unRyder-like. There were games last year that he must have had close to that. More assists than goals. Fifteen hits - third on the team, the most being Begin with twenty. Four takeaways (best on the team is six) versus one giveaway (Koivu, for example, has one takeaway and four giveaways). Average ice team is 15:17, over 4 minutes less than even Kovalev, who is not played on the penalty kill (or, if he is, shouldn't be). A plus 2, even though he has not figured in on the two Higgins shorthanders that puts Higgins at plus 3. I know it is early in the season, but this is like a completely different player.

Last night, for example, I thought Ryder was the best player on the ice for the Habs (other than Aebi, perhaps). He carried the puck a lot and created what I thought were very good opportunities. He got the Blackhawks to take the last penalty, the chance for the Habs to tie it up, by his speed and perseverence. And yet, when you go to the Canadiens web page this morning, it is all about Sheldon Souray (???), Koivu and Higgins? What?

Guest gottaHABit
I hope those Ryder bashers will be unemployed but then, of course, so will I.  It has been hard work defending him.  Maybe now I will have to see that he gets the credit he deserves - I must be working as hard as his agent for getting him recognition.

Just take a look at his stats to date.  Six games, only 9 shots - most unRyder-like.  There were games last year that he must have had close to that.  More assists than goals.  Fifteen hits - third on the team, the most being Begin with twenty.  Four takeaways (best on the team is six) versus one giveaway (Koivu, for example, has one takeaway and four giveaways).  Average ice team is 15:17, over 4 minutes less than even Kovalev, who is not played on the penalty kill (or, if he is, shouldn't be).  A plus 2, even though he has not figured in on the two Higgins shorthanders that puts Higgins at plus 3. I know it is early in the season, but this is like a completely different player.

Last night, for example, I thought Ryder was the best player on the ice for the Habs (other than Aebi, perhaps).  He carried the puck a lot and created what I thought were very good opportunities.  He got the Blackhawks to take the last penalty, the chance for the Habs to tie it up, by his speed and perseverence.  And yet, when you go to the Canadiens web page this morning, it is all about Sheldon Souray (???), Koivu and Higgins?  What?

Wow, excellent post. I'm sure people will still argue that stats never tell the whole story, but it's pretty hard to dismiss the ones you've listed here. Other than his baffling lack of ice time, I am most concerned about his lack of shots. Sure it's nice to see him passing more, but do we really want him to do that if it means he's going to shoot less? We have enough high paid "passers" on this team, why would we want to change our sniper into a playmaker?

Guest banker002
I hope those Ryder bashers will be unemployed but then, of course, so will I.  It has been hard work defending him.  Maybe now I will have to see that he gets the credit he deserves - I must be working as hard as his agent for getting him recognition.

Just take a look at his stats to date.  Six games, only 9 shots - most unRyder-like.  There were games last year that he must have had close to that.  More assists than goals.  Fifteen hits - third on the team, the most being Begin with twenty.  Four takeaways (best on the team is six) versus one giveaway (Koivu, for example, has one takeaway and four giveaways).  Average ice team is 15:17, over 4 minutes less than even Kovalev, who is not played on the penalty kill (or, if he is, shouldn't be).  A plus 2, even though he has not figured in on the two Higgins shorthanders that puts Higgins at plus 3. I know it is early in the season, but this is like a completely different player.

Last night, for example, I thought Ryder was the best player on the ice for the Habs (other than Aebi, perhaps).  He carried the puck a lot and created what I thought were very good opportunities.  He got the Blackhawks to take the last penalty, the chance for the Habs to tie it up, by his speed and perseverence.  And yet, when you go to the Canadiens web page this morning, it is all about Sheldon Souray (???), Koivu and Higgins?  What?

another excellent post....

i know the habs are getting a lot of penalties (stupid ones too)....and that is effecting his ice time....they are playing well as a team too thus carbo will not rock the boat too much...that being said....he should make a few adjustments to ryder's ice time up....he is too much of a threat to be tied for 7th on the team in ice time (with johnson) ....

samsonov is getting more time and he is a minus 2 with 2 points....and he does not kill penalties ....(not to dump on samsonov - i'm sure he will come around..just making a point)

Guest COJAK33

you still got to get ryder more time on the ice...also the top pp guy is most nights on the short end of the stick when it comes to that time also...i know he doesnt play on the pk but he should lead the team in pp time with 18 pp goals last year ...and they should be looking for him when they are on the pp...imo

Guest gottaHABit
you still got to get ryder more time on the ice...also the top pp guy is most nights on the short end of the stick when it comes to that time also...i know he doesnt play on the pk but he should lead the team in pp time with 18 pp goals last year ...and they should be looking for him when they are on the pp...imo

Seems like a no brainer to me too.

Guest KOIVU#11

I was also one of the ones who was impressed by Ryders increased foot speed. I don't think we'll see a massive decrease in goals from him, he'll be scoring as long as we keep getting pp chances. I liek his physical play this year. I see some good things not only for Ryder but all around, I'm pretty optimstic about our chances this year.

Archived