The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

79 Andrei Markov 06-07

jl-1

Man, the pass Markov made to set up the Koivu goal is why I still maintain, weak start or not, that he's our top d-man. No other blueliner of ours jumpstarts our transition game so effectively.

Yeah, good point. Making great passes isn't only what Markov does though :D He makes awesome defencive plays, and he can put the puck in the net.

Guest habs_fan1160

The first couple of games were rough for Markov, but he's been doing better. Getting lot's of assists this season.

He needs to work on his passing a bit though, or learn that long passes don't always work.

Other than that, Markov has been our best D-man again this season, very consistant.

Guest StratfordStreak
Hasn't been the same defensively at all. What a stupid penalty he took last night... Needs to wake up in our own end.

Right. I think outside of Niinimma, he is our worst defensive defenceman this year.

Guest StratfordStreak
Yeah he's only 8th overall in defensemen in the NHL in points and is at +6.  

For God's sake people, what are you smoking!!!!??

So does that mean you think he plays better defensively this year than Souray, Komisarek, Rivet and Streit?

As I said, Defensive Defenceman.

So does that mean you think he plays better defensively this year than Souray, Komisarek, Rivet and Streit?

Um, +6? I know plus-minus doesn't tell the whole story, but it's a big part of it! Sure, Markov has had shaky nights just like every other defenceman on our team, but by and large he is still very sound in our end.

Maybe in his first 8 or 9 games he was making some Un-Markov like mistakes, but we cant even approach him of anything besides the minimal mistakes EVERY defenceman makes for quite awhile. So yes, defensively with the exception of MAYBE Komisarek, Markov has been our most reliable tool on the point and in our own zone.

Its one thing to take note of his slow start, but he has clearly shaken that early rust off, so dont make it look like that slow start is still extending into the present because it hasnt, he is a completely different player now than he was 5 games ago.

Guest StratfordStreak
No offense meant, my friend. I was just a tad surprised that you would rank Streit above Markov in terms of defensive soundness and discount Marky's +6 rating when assessing his defensive play.

Yah, not Streit probably, I think Souray, Rivet and Komisarek for sure.

Probably Dandenault and Boullion too when they return.

just my opinion though.

Guest Thibodosa
jsut remember, Ovechkin said the two hardest defensman to go against one on one was Markov and somebody else.

yeh i remember that.. thats a really good compliment casue OV doesnt really have to much trouble getting around people. but yeah i dont remember who the other person was,, i beilve it was a vertern.. i keep thinking gonchar but doubt it, not shure

when did ovechkin say this?

I read him say it in an interview very early last season, and since we hadn't played Washington I assumed he had known Markov from the Russian league...

And then he said it again later on in the season on Off The Record.

Archived