The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

79 Andrei Markov 06-07

jl-1

Guest StratfordStreak
I read him say it in an interview very early last season, and since we hadn't played Washington I assumed he had known Markov from the Russian league...

And then he said it again later on in the season on Off The Record.

I remember a few weeks ago Don Cherry saying that the reason Julien got fired last year was because of the soft play of Souray and Markov.

Big difference of opinion between Cherry and Ovechkin I guess.

I remember a few weeks ago Don Cherry saying that the reason Julien got fired last year was because of the soft play of Souray and Markov.

Yet more proof that Cherry is senile. Julien got fired because Theodore tanked, the team was crippled by injury, and he refused to give his rookies a chance. Ripping on Markov is ridiculous. He was just about the only D-man who wasn't playing soft and turning the puck over. Souray was making the highlight reels for the wrong reasons, Rivet couldn't clear the zone, Dandenault hadn't yet gotten comfortable, and Komisarek was extremely shaky due to personal issues. Yet Cherry, predictably, attacks the Russian. :roll:

Cherry admitted he actually watched a Habs game?

With all due respect to Cherry, Markov was very good last year, Souray started off poorly, but like Weeping pointed it, I think the firing was because Theodore was playing poor, the injuries pilled up so we weren't winning...

And Julien simply didn't play the kids enough.

Don Cherry the expert on the Canadiens once again proves that he is clueless when it comes to the Habs.

Julien was fired mainly because Gainey wanted to hire his own man. I'm not saying that Gainey was looking for an excuse to fire him, but when the team got into a bad slump, he wasn't very hesitant to let him go. If you're a coach and were hired by a different GM than you ahve now, you are in trouble right from the start with any team, Montreal was no different

And ya shows how much Cherry knows about Montreal.

Julien was fired mainly because Gainey wanted to hire his own man. I'm not saying that Gainey was looking for an excuse to fire him, but when the team got into a bad slump, he wasn't very hesitant to let him go. If you're a coach and were hired by a different GM than you ahve now, you are in trouble right from the start with any team, Montreal was no different

And ya shows how much Cherry knows about Montreal.

That's true, but Gainey had a full season with Julien before, then gave him a new contract.

That's true, but Gainey had a full season with Julien before, then gave him a new contract.

Well you have a point, especially with the contract extension; but its not like Gainey didn't give him a chance. I'm just saying if Carbo is to take the team into a bad streak like that, his jobs safe. All the stuff mentioned above contributed to his firing, but ultimately I've just always felt he wasn't given much slack since Gainey obviously wanted Carbo.

Two thumbs up for Andrei Markov:bow:  

5th in the league points for D men  

Only those two clowns in Toronto and Anaheim are ahead of him  

Need a big 3 point game for Markov to be the top dog !!

Markov has played less games then them though... So he'll catch up :cool:

I cant understand why he's rarely mentionned as a top 10 dman in the league.

Ever since he started getting pp time last season (in the 13th game) he collected 44 points in 55 games.

Now this season, he's at 17 points in 19 games despite a rough start.

He's very solid defensively, is an awesome playmaker and doesnt take too much penalties but always gets the job done.

He's a top 10 dman for me.

I cant understand why he's rarely mentionned as a top 10 dman in the league.

Ever since he started getting pp time last season (in the 13th game) he collected 44 points in 55 games.

Now this season, he's at 17 points in 19 games despite a rough start.

He's very solid defensively, is an awesome playmaker and doesnt take too much penalties but always gets the job done.

He's a top 10 dman for me.

I think it has to do with three things mainly...

1. He's not too personable with the media. He tends to stay behind the scenes and seems like a quiet, shy or reserved type of guy. That doesn't mix with the media too well.

2. He gets most of his points as assists so you never see him drive home goals on the highlight reels like say McCabbe and Souray.

and 3. He's not overly physical. He's absolutely amazing defensively and always comes out with the puck but he never really comes out with the huge highlight reel hit. He's excellent at knocking the puck of someone's stick at just the right moment using his stick. He does hit, but not to take guys out of commission, just to take them out of the play.

I think it's a safe bet though that other GMs and coaches are fully aware of what he brings to the Habs and that he is a top NHL defenseman. We're going to have to cough up the dough to keep him in MTL.

Guest zachary-jean
I think it has to do with three things mainly...

1. He's not too personable with the media. He tends to stay behind the scenes and seems like a quiet, shy or reserved type of guy. That doesn't mix with the media too well.  

2. He gets most of his points as assists so you never see him drive home goals on the highlight reels like say McCabbe and Souray.  

and 3. He's not overly physical. He's absolutely amazing defensively and always comes out with the puck but he never really comes out with the huge highlight reel hit. He's excellent at knocking the puck of someone's stick at just the right moment using his stick. He does hit, but not to take guys out of commission, just to take them out of the play.  

I think it's a safe bet though that other GMs and coaches are fully aware of what he brings to the Habs and that he is a top NHL defenseman. We're going to have to cough up the dough to keep him in MTL.

I agree with pretty much everything you've said...especially the "low-keyness" of Markov and the high price (which is worth it in my opinion) to keep him here.

1. He's not too personable with the media. He tends to stay behind the scenes and seems like a quiet, shy or reserved type of guy...

At the HHOF autograph signing he didn't look happy or like he wanted to be there . He came across as very quiet and the type of person who keeps to himself.

That's not a bad thing , some people are naturally shy and don't crave the spotlight

He doesn't have the booming point shot, so he slips under the radar, but look at a lot of Souray's goals and you'll see Markov setting him up with a picture-perfect pass that lets Souray one-time the shot exactly where it needs to go. That's hidden but significant value.

I also agree with Jigger's comments. He's quick and boasts very good positional play, so he doesn't have to fight like a Trojan along the boards for the puck. He just takes it and moves on.

Lastly (and this is worrisome), he's our only D-man who can make a clean, crisp, fast, dangerous breakout pass from the defensive zone. Streit does it occasionally, but Markov is the man. I have no stats to back this up, but my gut feeling is that if you watch film of every time a streaking forward has caught a long, tape-to-tape or saucer pass in behind the enemy D and scored a goal for us, the passer will usually be Markov.

I can honestly see Markov being signed over Souray. While Souray brings the PP up a notch with his shot, Markov is just an all around defensive work horse with an offensive upside.

Markov is WORTH the money. I would be happy if he signed for around 3-4 mil a year.

I'm thinking we'll need to sign him for more to keep him, like around 5mil. I'm just guessing though.

Guest Un_Lavalois

I'm sure we could get him for 4 mills if we sign him long term. Can't wait for us to sign our UFA's its not normal to be worried about the fact that a player produces a lot of points:?

Archived