The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Alexei Emelin

Guest ribz&ryder_connexion
Is it Kostitsyn or Katsitsyn? Who knows, who cares, doesn't change the way he plays.

Why don't we just call him "Kasparitis With Balls." or something.

Ummm.. sure. I guess that answers the first question. Can we still get him though? I heard that if we don't sign him soon he can re-enter the draft :D

Ummm.. sure. I guess that answers the first question. Can we still get him though? I heard that if we don't sign him soon he can re-enter the draft :D

We have 2 years to sign him, which is coincidentally the same time as his RSL contract expires. Don't worry. Emelin strikes me as the kind of guy who loves a challange and won't want to stay in an inferior league if the oppertunity presents itself... Hopefully NHL-RSL relations have improved by then, of course...

Guest ribz&ryder_connexion
We have 2 years to sign him, which is coincidentally the same time as his RSL contract expires. Don't worry. Emelin strikes me as the kind of guy who loves a challange and won't want to stay in an inferior league if the oppertunity presents itself... Hopefully NHL-RSL relations have improved by then, of course...

Do you think we're going to sign him?

Guest montreal
I thought his name was spelled "Emelin" :? We can still get this guy, right???

You can spell it either way. In Russian it's Emelin, or Алексей Емелин. Hopefully he is brought over at some point. He just finished playing for the Senior National Team at Euro Cup, no points, played on the 4th D pairing as Russia won the tournament. Korneev was also on the team but didn't dress for any games.

Guest Tony Montana

When he does come which i hope he does, Alexei will be a power house on D, with him and komisarek, opposing teams are goign to have twin monters that can skate to deal with.

Guest Nikedine
You can spell it either way.  In Russian it's Emelin, or Алексей Емелин.  Hopefully he is brought over at some point.  He just finished playing for the Senior National Team at Euro Cup, no points, played on the 4th D pairing as Russia won the tournament.  Korneev was also on the team but didn't dress for any games.

I think it's spelled Emelin in Russian but it's pronounced Yemelin. Just as Fedorov is pronounced Fjodorov and Kovalev is Kovaljev (in Russian). Not sure but I think it's that way. :D

• 1 month later...
Actually Alexei is just a hair over 6-0, and around 205 pounds. He is about Markov size, but plays more physically. He has missed the past few games in the RSL, does anyone know the reason?

Knowing Emelin, he probably beat the hell out of someone so bad they were forced to suspend him, hah.

Guest shanahan1024

Last year he got a huge suspension I cant remember what it was for somethinng like suckering a guy and knocking him out cold he got like 20 games for it.

Last year he got a huge suspension I cant remember what it was for somethinng like suckering a guy and knocking him out cold he got like 20 games for it.

Was in the playoffs. Guy shot the puck at Emelin after the whistle, and Emelin went down. When the guy went over to see if he was already, Emelin suckered him right in the face and he had to be taken to hospital. Missed the rest of the playoffs and the first 2-3 games of the season.

I think you guys have a completely misguided impression of Emelin. First of all he is on the small side for a defenseman. Secondly, he is very skilled with the puck. He competes hard, but to try to portray him as some sort of psychopath is way off base. The incident where he got suspended wasn't all that serious. He was fighting for position in front of the net, he had his feet chopped out by the forward, went down, and while he was down Varlamov shot the pick and hit him. When Varlamov came over Emelin was on the ice and basically just was pushing the guy away with his gloved hands still on his stick. He was trying to get at the forward who chopped him down, and Varlamov came over to join the scrum. Varlamov was playing in a couple of days later, and Lada really got shafted because they were on the verge of upsetting the top team in the league in the playoffs.

I think you guys have a completely misguided impression of Emelin. First of all he is on the small side for a defenseman. Secondly, he is very skilled with the puck. He competes hard, but to try to portray him as some sort of psychopath is way off base. The incident where he got suspended wasn't all that serious. He was fighting for position in front of the net, he had his feet chopped out by the forward, went down, and while he was down Varlamov shot the pick and hit him. When Varlamov came over Emelin was on the ice and basically just was pushing the guy away with his gloved hands still on his stick. He was trying to get at the forward who chopped him down, and Varlamov came over to join the scrum. Varlamov was playing in a couple of days later, and Lada really got shafted because they were on the verge of upsetting the top team in the league in the playoffs.

I never saw it, I just sorta-heard about it, so I don't really know what happened, but if so then I really can't blame him. Frankly, I'd love it if Emelin just cold-cocked him for no reason; we need a Darius Kaspirits on our team for once! I'm very excited about him coming over, finally someone not afraid to take out the other team's best with a knee or something!

I remember watching the guy a couple of years ago in the World Juniours he is a great player and he is going to be a star on the Habs one day soon. I like the way he plays hes a good solid player who can either set up goals or get them himself something that every team needs on their roster.

Guest montreal

Just an update but Emelin has a knee injury which has forced him to miss the last two weeks. No word on how bad it is though, as info out of Russia can be hard to obtain.

Just an update but Emelin has a knee injury which has forced him to miss the last two weeks.  No word on how bad it is though, as info out of Russia can be hard to obtain.

Oh that is great news... well, as long as it isn't serious, anyway. I had heard that he'd been demoted to RSL-2 or something along those lines, which would have been terrible for his development. Good to see that he's still considered one of the best defenders in Lada, I know his offensive game hasn't been wonderful this year...

Archived