The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

French for Dummies...

mortwinkler

Guest habs_fan1160

I'm going to admit my ignorance and say I barely know any french. I'm picking up slowly from watching RDS and every Habs game on it. But I thought I'd start a thread for people who have questions about the language.

I figured out that 3e probably means 3rd period, but when the screen comes up and it'll say 3e Sheldon Souray, what is that?

I was also thinking someone could post in here what all the penalities are like hooking=, and tripping = etc.

Basically I'm thinking this thread could be the french help line for the people who don't know anything about the language.

3e = 3rd

Diving = Plongeon or avoir plongé

Hooking = accrochage

Elbowing = coup de coude

Roughing = Rudesse

Tripping = Avoir fait trébucher (trébucher is the key word)

Cross Checking : Double-echec

Unsportsmanlike conduct : Conduite anti-sportive (can be without a dash)

Delay of game : Avoir fait retardé le match or Avoir retardé le match

High sticking : Baton elevé

Holding = avoir retenu or just retenu

Interference = obstruction

Slashing = coup de baton

penalty shot = tir de pénalité

boarding = avoir donné de la bande

I really want to learn french, would be good to know. I can kind of read it (cus I can kind of assume what its saying), and can sometimes string a broken sentence together, but understanding it when people are talking I'm completely lost.

French education in schools is so horrible. How about teach us how to say actual words and creat a sentence (even if not perfect gramatically) then memorizing "je est, tu est, il est, elle est, nous est, vous est, ils est, elles est" (I have no idea what the actual words were).

hahaha thats true...or they teach you stupid things you'll never use like whole units on circus and clowns instead of things you'll actaully use. The mandatory french you learn in ontario is absolutely ridiculous. I tried to learn from school but didnt really work, but now my boyfriend says I have to learn and that he'll teach me, so we'll see

French education in schools is so horrible. How about teach us how to say actual words and creat a sentence (even if not perfect gramatically) then memorizing "je est, tu est, il est, elle est, nous est, vous est, ils est, elles est" (I have no idea what the actual words were).

English education is horrible in Quebec. I've been studying your language for 8 years and i'm still not perfecly bilingual. I've learn most of my vocabulary by watching tv !!!

And for your information: je suis, tu es, il est, nous sommes, vous êtes, ils sont :D

Delay of game : Avoir fait retardé le match  or Avoir retardé le match

How apt.

I'm terrible at French, lol... Emberassing since I've lived in Quebec for my whole life, but I still can't string together a sentance with any cohesion, almost everything said in French goes right over my head, I'm lost when it comes to conjucation, etc etc... Funny thing is I'm really good at English, so it's not like I have a problem with languages...

I <3 French. I never used to when I lived in Quebec because in English schools, they just teach you the same 4 tenses over, and over, and over. Very frustrating. Ironically, i learned more French AFTER moving to Ontario. I still don't consider myself bilingual, but I'm getting there...it's pretty important to me.

Anyways, some more stuff you'll hear on RDS:

Fusillade/Tirs de barrage = shootout

mention d'assitance/une passe = an assist

dégagement refusé au Canadien = icing against the Canadiens

Et la rondelle s'en va au filet protecteur= and the puck touches the protective netting

Quelle mauvaise pénalité de...= What a bad penalty from...

Il (le gardien) donne pas de retour = He freezes the puck (doesn't give a rebound)

prolongation = OT

supériorité numérique/jeu de puissance = power play

mise en échec = )body (check)

mise au jeu = face-off

blanchissage = shut out

le banc = the bench

coincé = stuck

perdre l'equilibrium = to slip/fall

There's probably a whole bunch of speling mistakes in there, but I hope they're still understandable.

Guest lfrommtl

whatever happend to trudeau's dream of a BI-LINGUAL canada

im an anglo but im in FLM(enriched french) and i have to say i learn alot but im interested in knowing what francophones learn in english, its kinda pathetic though that both side on the language can't speak the other one but i can say that in my opinion the anglo-quebcers probably make more of an effort to speak french then the french do to speak english, but hey it's quebec

i can say that in my opinion the anglo-quebcers probably make more of an effort to speak french then the french do to speak english, but hey it's quebec

I definitly don't agree with that. I worked in Montréal the last 2 years and almost the half of clients I served where speaking in english. I had to make the effort to speak english and that's realy difficult for me cause my speaking is everything but good.

If I go to ontario, I'll wont go in a store and ask the seller in french cause it's an english province. I sould be the same thing in Québec with french.

I definitly don't agree with that. I worked in Montréal the last 2 years and almost the half of clients I served where speaking in english. I had to make the effort to speak english and that's realy difficult for me cause my speaking is everything but good.  

If I go to ontario, I'll wont go in a store and ask the seller in french cause it's an english province. I sould be the same thing in Québec with french.

Quebec is a bilingual province (According to the Order of Canada and some other funky political mumbo). Ontario isn't.

Quebec is a bilingual province (According to the Order of Canada and some other funky political mumbo). Ontario isn't.

New Brunswick is a bilingual province.

Quebec is a french province. There is no english in the quebec government. I agree that Montréal is bilingual but officially, Québec is just french.

I agree with that. If you'd go tan English province and ask for stuff in French, it'd come off as a bit rude. And I don't think it should be any different the other way around. Like, make an effort, you know? You're not going to go Italy without trying to brush up on your Italian.

I agree with that.  If you'd go tan English province and ask for stuff in French, it'd come off as a bit rude.  And I don't think it should be any different the other way around.  Like, make an effort, you know?  You're not going to go Italy without trying to brush up on your Italian.

Thank you for your support !!!! :thumb:

Guest ribz&ryder_connexion

I post on the French side once in a while. My French is weird. Some days I speak it well but other I don't :? How weird is that? Ever since Secondary 2 (grade 8 for you non-quebecers) I've lost interest in French class for personal reasons. I guess I'll just re-like it in CEGEP or something... Now it's also a lot harder for me to write French on my keyboard because it's not a french one like before. Then again, it wasn't good in the 1st place :D

Definately agree. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable going to Quebec without at least being semi fluent in French. Its stupid that French people are "expected" to learn English so that they can serve and communicate with us.

Don't come to Ontario and expect us to speak French to you, but it should work the other way around.

hahaha thats true...or they teach you stupid things you'll never use like whole units on circus and clowns instead of things you'll actaully use. The mandatory french you learn in ontario is absolutely ridiculous. I tried to learn from school but didnt really work, but now my boyfriend says I have to learn and that he'll teach me, so we'll see

Nevermind the fact many teachers don't know the curriculim, I find it odd how some schools come to high school and take academic/extended French, while others go to applied and take the 1 mandatory credit.

Guest Newfie_Gurrl29

I'm taking French Immersion since grade 7 and when i went to Quebec, we always made an effort to speak french to whoever was in the store. It makes a good impression because not everyone knows both languages and most people are happy to see you try to speak the other language, even if you do have some difficulties.

Guest - Tonio -

Ya I dont know much french either...living in T.O they teach it in elementary grades but they never really try to encourage you to take it in the later years of high school where you actually learn REAL sentences and stuff other than colours and animals... I watch RDS over english ones mainly to pick up some french and to hear ET LE BUUUTTT!!!

Guest Newfie_Gurrl29
Ya I dont know much french either...living in T.O they teach it in elementary grades but they never really try to encourage you to take it in the later years of high school where you actually learn REAL sentences and stuff other than colours and animals... I watch RDS over english ones mainly to pick up some french and to hear ET LE BUUUTTT!!!

lol .. i like to hear those 3 words too

Archived